Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Keep calves in till week after off milk and fully weaned ,always stands to them .if off milk week or more let them off

One week indoors on ad-lib meal and straw, 1 week in paddock on ad-lib meal then grass and 1kg till housing here. Works a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

weighted a few lighter fr heifers today , month ago they were 320kg on plenty of fresh grass , weighted again today and now they are down on 300kgs , shock to my system ,
    thinking of bulling them and pushing them all the way to calving in February or should I leave them a month and weight them again or just pass them by till 2020 bulling .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

kerry cow wrote: »
    weighted a few lighter fr heifers today , month ago they were 320kg on plenty of fresh grass , weighted again today and now they are down on 300kgs , shock to my system ,
    thinking of bulling them and pushing them all the way to calving in February or should I leave them a month and weight them again or just pass them by till 2020 bulling .

Your scales must be wrong. I’d bull now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

What paint ye using in chinballs? Raining all day here and two bulls with the heifers. spotted the two bulling in the yard bulls not much interest and not a bit of paint on em. Served them and the bulls decide to go chasing after then... have scratch cards and heat seekers on them as well about 6 or 7 missing and no paint to judge them on either. Yellow paint got from ai company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mooooo wrote: »
    What paint ye using in chinballs? Raining all day here and two bulls with the heifers. spotted the two bulling in the yard bulls not much interest and not a bit of paint on em. Served them and the bulls decide to go chasing after then... have scratch cards and heat seekers on them as well about 6 or 7 missing and no paint to judge them on either. Yellow paint got from ai company

I'm using the Shoof red paint atm, working great. Plenty of paint on them from the chinball and tail paint removed as well. Only day 2 of AI atm though.

• Advertisement

I'm using the Shoof red paint atm, working great. Plenty of paint on them from the chinball and tail paint removed as well. Only day 2 of AI atm though.

Started cows 7 days ago and have 38% served, so happy enough. Just tail paint on them, started the heifers yday so only a couple served.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭alps

kerry cow wrote: »

You have to bull them now regardless of weight. Time is on your side to have them up to weight for calving, but you may suffer some cost now in empty rates. Bull now and maybe bull for an extra 3 weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Printing ink was always the stuff for chin balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Got 44ha done yesterday after lunch. Good going, but was one field beside the pit.
    Another thunderstorm this morning with 8mm, so hopefully get going again in the afternoon.
    Won’t say no to rain from now on, but it is a pain.
    Won’t get finished by tomorrow night at this rate of going.
    Guy on 11days parental leave starting today, so yours truly back in the saddle...lovely.

Got 44ha done yesterday after lunch. Good going, but was one field beside the pit.
    Another thunderstorm this morning with 8mm, so hopefully get going again in the afternoon.
    Won’t say no to rain from now on, but it is a pain.
    Won’t get finished by tomorrow night at this rate of going.
    Guy on 11days parental leave starting today, so yours truly back in the saddle...lovely.

Friend of mine started 6 weeks of it this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Friend of mine started 6 weeks of it this week

Contractor or a large farm?

Taking the crew to an early leisurely lunch to try and waste a bit of time to dry it out. These lunches often turn into particularly boozy ones unfortunately.

Taking the crew to an early leisurely lunch to try and waste a bit of time to dry it out. These lunches often turn into particularly boozy ones unfortunately.

Haha, drink driving rules not quiet the same as here??

Multi national. There are new rules brought in here for paternal leave recently altho his employer gives extra on top of that I think. Don't know much about it but all things that have to be taken into account if employing someone. This is for after a new born lands altho I think it can be taken anytime within the first year. Just saw you said parental leave is that something extra again with pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,375 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Multi national. There are new rules brought in here for paternal leave recently altho his employer gives extra on top of that I think. Don't know much about it but all things that have to be taken into account if employing someone. This is for after a new born lands altho I think it can be taken anytime within the first year. Just saw you said parental leave is that something extra again with pay?

In Ireland ya have Paternity leave which currently is 2 weeks paid (soon to be 4) for the father. Think it has to be taken in the first 6 months. Not sure though. Then there is "Paternal" leave which I think entitles you to 18 weeks unpaid over the first 7 years of each childs life. I've to look into that one. I did use the 2 weeks alright and it was great. Up to a couple of years ago the father was entitled to just 1 day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

In Ireland ya have Paternity leave which currently is 2 weeks paid (soon to be 4) for the father. Think it has to be taken in the first 6 months. Not sure though. Then there is "Paternal" leave which I think entitles you to 18 weeks unpaid over the first 7 years of each childs life. I've to look into that one. I did use the 2 weeks alright and it was great. Up to a couple of years ago the father was entitled to just 1 day!

In this era of equality why aren't men getting the same as women, 6 months paid?

I know some countries have up to 1 year that can be shared equally between the father and mother

• Registered Users Posts: 5,375 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Panch18 wrote: »
    In this era of equality why aren't men getting the same as women, 6 months paid?

I know some countries have up to 1 year that can be shared equally between the father and mother

Would it be because not everything has to be shared equally? And somethings that are being pushed to be equal is bull in my eyes. In Sweden both parents get a good chunk of time off for newborns

First bales of the year here this evening. I would have tried grazing this paddock but I fenced it off permanently last week instead of strip grazing it so the permanent fencing starting to pay for itself already.

And heard about a fertiliser hoist that might be for sale so must head out for a gawk now.

A jaysus....it'll be like the teachers next.....they always have the child during school term..never during holidays...

If this paternity leave catches hold, you'll see all farm staff having kids in the first week of February...

First bales of the year here this evening. I would have tried grazing this paddock but I fenced it off permanently last week instead of strip grazing it so the permanent fencing starting to pay for itself already.

And heard about a fertiliser hoist that might be for sale so must head out for a gawk now.

So I bought a second hand Rossmore hoist this morning. It's in good enough condition bar the main ram which is being replaced for me. All hoses are perfect and the connectors are greased so in good condition as well.

Coming in at 1.4k which is a nice reduction on buying new. I'm looking for one for about 2 years now so getting one locally is a bonus:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

So I bought a second hand Rossmore hoist this morning. It's in good enough condition bar the main ram which is being replaced for me. All hoses are perfect and the connectors are greased so in good condition as well.

Coming in at 1.4k which is a nice reduction on buying new. I'm looking for one for about 2 years now so getting one locally is a bonus:)

Bought a shop soiled on last year for 1700 I think. Gift of a yoke. We get the fert delivered to the out farm now and i can spread away on my own there with having to head home to refill or bring a second tractor

• Advertisement

Bought a shop soiled on last year for 1700 I think. Gift of a yoke. We get the fert delivered to the out farm now and i can spread away on my own there with having to head home to refill or bring a second tractor

I got a fright yesterday when one of the hoses burst in the yard tractor lifting a bag into the spreader and the bag fell down near the spreader so when I was told there was one local I said that wasn't a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

What's the story with the big fall out with xbreeds in Ireland seems to be a big push to outlaw them at the moment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Base price

trixi2011 wrote: »
    What's the story with the big fall out with xbreeds in Ireland seems to be a big push to outlaw them at the moment ?
    As in cross breeds I presume you mean JE/Kiwi. It's probably due to the negative connotations and lack of official factory facilities for culling unwanted bull (bobby) calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Base price wrote: »
    As in cross breeds I presume you mean JE/Kiwi. It's probably due to the negative connotations and lack of official factory facilities for culling unwanted bull (bobby) calves.
    Would of thought there was as much of a problem with all dairy bull calves .

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Would of thought there was as much of a problem with all dairy bull calves .
    The majority of FR bull calves have always headed overseas to Holland, Belgium and France and therefore the problem was exported so we didn't have to deal with it. Recent video footage of cruel mistreatment of Irish FR bull calves in a stop over lairage in France will/may put a question on calf live exports. I think (stand corrected) that the English stopped the live export of young dairy calves last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭straight

Is it worth AI'ing a cow on her first heat after calving

straight wrote: »
    Is it worth AI'ing a cow on her first heat after calving

She has a chance of going in calf, might be less than 20% so I'd be using a cheapish straw. Once the mucus is clear I'd be doing her.

Base price wrote: »
    The majority of FR bull calves have always headed overseas to Holland, Belgium and France and therefore the problem was exported so we didn't have to deal with it. Recent video footage of cruel mistreatment of Irish FR bull calves in a stop over lairage in France will/may put a question on calf live exports. I think (stand corrected) that the English stopped the live export of young dairy calves last year.

The English are also nowhere near self sufficient in beef so it's an easy decision to make for them.

The English are also nowhere near self sufficient in beef so it's an easy decision to make for them.
    AFAIK they have substantially increased their rose veal industry from the prohibition of dairy bull calve exports. In their case it is sustainable due to access to a huge volume of city/urban consumers.
    Edit to say: IMO the same scenario cannot be achieved here in Ireland.
    We don't have
    1) a tradition of eating veal like other EU member states.
    2) we don't have enough foreign visitors to consume the volume (that we could produce) through our hotels and restaurants etc.
    3) I was told many years ago after looking into is as a enterprise that the cost of exporting rose veal to the EU makes it commercially non-viable.

• Advertisement

Fine reminder why I told myself I wouldn't milk after pints the night before this morning. At least tis cool morning out

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement