Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Out of curiosity is there any sort of maternity leave for a female dairy Farmer (i.e subsistence to pay relief milker?). Playing with going back dairying on home farm but as a 26yo female it's not really an option if have to get relief milker for majority of milkings for 3-6months per child

Check with an accountant but any self employed reliefs Would be available to farmers, I don't know myself. I know self employed used to get f all but that is changing a bit. Whelan may know more maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Mooooo wrote:
    Check with an accountant but any self employed reliefs Would be available to farmers, I don't know myself. I know self employed used to get f all but that is changing a bit. Whelan may know more maybe?

Thanks. Will be in with IFAC in next couple of weeks to begin setting up partnership so will check it out then. Was just looking to see if anyone here has been there before etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭straight

Thanks. Will be in with IFAC in next couple of weeks to begin setting up partnership so will check it out then. Was just looking to see if anyone here has been there before etc.

Don't be getting your hopes up. Self employed don't get them perks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,113 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

straight wrote: »
    Don't be getting your hopes up. Self employed don't get them perks.

I got maternity pay on all my kids. Was something like 220 a week but last child is 11 tomorrow so it should be more now

Out of curiosity is there any sort of maternity leave for a female dairy Farmer (i.e subsistence to pay relief milker?). Playing with going back dairying on home farm but as a 26yo female it's not really an option if have to get relief milker for majority of milkings for 3-6months per child

Realistically I stopped milking the day before each child was born and was back about 10 days after. Except on first child were I was very ill after. Had section on each.

• Advertisement

oxjkqg wrote: »
    Prime time was a fair balls.

I see Pallaskenry Ag college now using a Limousin bull to clean up there maiden heifers after using fixed time AI, big move :eek:

What did they use to clean up last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

whelan2 wrote:
    I got maternity pay on all my kids. Was something like 220 a week but last child is 11 tomorrow so it should be more now

whelan2 wrote:
    Realistically I stopped milking the day before each child was born and was back about 10 days after. Except on first child were I was very ill after. Had section on each.

Thanks Whelan. Again I've never been pregnant or haven't been on a dairy farm in over ten years (young teen) so very early days yet but this info is very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 10,695 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

whelan2 wrote: »
    What did they use to clean up last year?

You've gone from sections to cleaning up with bulls in 2 consecutive posts. :rolleyes:
    A bit early in the morning to be reading stuff like that.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,060 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

You were lucky, I had a hernia repair six mths ago and the doctor told me a few days ago that I'd be facing it again as the hernia was back..
    Really pissed me off as when I was in Newzealand the rest of the group were jumping out of planes and going mad on speedboats (Keepgrowing included) while I was lying by the hotel pool minding myself :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭jaymla627

kerry cow wrote: »
    prime time now on the cruelty to exported calves ,
    that's all we need now and Teagasc rushing out today changing breeding strategy once again .

The 360 u-tun they have made is comparable to the Jews suddenly believing Jesus existed, it’s ridiclous their stance at the minute and simply moronic

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »
    You were lucky, I had a hernia repair six mths ago and the doctor told me a few days ago that I'd be facing it again as the hernia was back..
    Really pissed me off as when I was in Newzealand the rest of the group were jumping out of planes and going mad on speedboats (Keepgrowing included) while I was lying by the hotel pool minding myself :mad:
    Youth was on my side plus I hate being stuck in the house :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Tis always pissing rain when the crush is full for ai

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭visatorro

Youth was on my side plus I hate being stuck in the house :)

I took parental leave a couple of times, unpaid from work. I forget whether I got dole or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

oxjkqg wrote: »
    Prime time was a fair balls.

I see Pallaskenry Ag college now using a Limousin bull to clean up there maiden heifers after using fixed time AI, big move :eek:

One young bull with 90 Heifers, lol. Thell kill the poor bugger. But yes it's a good move and going to be more popular going forward I think.

Cows started coughing here this last few days, ordered eprinex today. Normally wouldn't have to do them this early but I suppose they went out earlier this year. Anyone else dose them yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

But yes it's a good move and going to be more popular going forward I think.

Limousin with heifers? Jesus no.

Experimentation is that. Expensive experimentation.

Limousin with heifers? Jesus no.

Experimentation is that. Expensive experimentation.

Be no bother calving at all I bet, they have good size cows. Feel sorry for the one bull though it's not enough for that many.

Be no bother calving at all I bet, they have good size cows. Feel sorry for the one bull though it's not enough for that many.

Been there with limousin with cows and never again. Let alone on heifers.

They'll end up jacking and dead heifers and fecking up a compact calving period with heifers taking longer to calve down in their second lactation.
    I suppose everyone needs experience to learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

They'll end up jacking and dead heifers and fecking up a compact calving period with heifers taking longer to calve down in their second lactation.

Iirc, all the heifers were syncronised so the damage should be minimal.

Hopefully.

But sometimes the best lessons learned are the hardest earned.

Iirc, all the heifers were syncronised so the damage should be minimal.

Hopefully.

But sometimes the best lessons learned are the hardest earned.

I haven't used a jack this year myself and only once last year.
    I endeavour to never use it again and going by those students reactions from ucd. I reckon I could be on the right track.

Totally agree with you on the best lessons. Especially with a thick eejit as myself. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

whelan2 wrote:
    Cows started coughing here this last few days, ordered eprinex today. Normally wouldn't have to do them this early but I suppose they went out earlier this year. Anyone else dose them yet?

Sent a sample away last week, should have results by Friday. Vet saying he's had a couple people bringing in samples this week so something is definitely there.

Depends on the breeding of the bull though. If you bought a tvr lim bull you'd be in for some hardship. Eby, lodge hamlet are a different ball game, small at birth short gestation etc. Two lads beside me run lim bulls for years on dairy Heifers and cows with no issues. One has a Holstein type and the other has a bf X Monti cow type. Both bring the males to 30 months and finish and sell the heifers at 4/5 weeks old for good money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Thought it might be a good time to post up a Cellcheck tweet with a link to the latest newsletter.
    https://twitter.com/animalhealthire/status/1126133006194946050?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Have you tried epricis? We used it last year and wont be using anything other than it again

Have you tried epricis? We used it last year and wont be using anything other than it again

There's an offer on eprinex apparently at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

There's an offer on eprinex apparently at the moment

I felt cows did alot better on the epricis last year compared to when we used eprinex.
    I injected them in the crush as they were milked, took no longer than the pour on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I felt cows did alot better on the epricis last year compared to when we used eprinex.
    I injected them in the crush as they were milked, took no longer than the pour on

I was talking to a couple of people that used it & they're of the same opinion as yourself, .. won't be using pour on again.

Don't have much issues here as we try to build up immunity in the first year . Usually only do the first calvers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭visatorro

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Sent a sample away last week, should have results by Friday. Vet saying he's had a couple people bringing in samples this week so something is definitely there.

Will lungworm show up on a test? I thought you had to flush out lungs themselves to see worms.

Did Tommy the vet say lungworm was showing early this year or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

Had limousin bull here for six years with the heifers and had no problems.
    Have had more trouble with fr test bulls.

• Advertisement

The Rabbi wrote: »
    Had limousin bull here for six years with the heifers and had no problems.
    Have had more trouble with fr test bulls.

With the freisians I buy as calves. And only buy a calf that was born by itself with no intervention. You need the honesty of the farmer though. There is a square type freisian that can be born itself.
    I'd find it hard now to going back to buying a dairy bull at a bull sale or even Ai.
    Some of the Holstein genetics were killers too.
    Minerals and silage to the cow would nearly be on a par as genetics as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement