Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,197 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Ai man was saying this morning he hasn't used one jersey straw this year yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »

Fun gone outta them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I supplied 20% more litres than last April. The weather last April was brutal. You can't plan for the weather.

Lorry driver here says people are way up on last year
    It's making their calculations on filling the lorry difficult
    Quite a bit of milk left by one lorry and collected by another the same day or left to an overnight or next day

• Registered Users Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Lorry driver here says people are way up on last year
    It's making their calculations on filling the lorry difficult
    Quite a bit of milk left by one lorry and collected by another the same day or left to an overnight or next day

Same happening to the BIL. His milk jumped 50% nearly overnight with the good weather and knocked the lorry drivers calculations off

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Rep here said same amount of straws gone out here not up or down a whole pile. Extra beef straws going out tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Usin fr 2213 and beechwood I think, some eik. Lim and hex for not so sures

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭straight

I see we're in for another great summer. Spanish plume on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Timmaay wrote: »
    Anyone see the figures for a drystock farmer converting into a 70cow dairyfarm in the farming indo today. Drawings of 30k/yr, and the whole thing barely broke even!! Why would you bother...

Zero difference if you went and done the same figures for a 300 cow start-up given once you go past 100 cow mark, additional labour units are needed and probably a bigger investment per cow where new sheds and a rotary/ large herringbone Parlour need to be put in, the surge of lads thinking of getting in now simply because they see dairying as the only form of farming that will return a income and not because they have a genuine intrest in going milking cows and enjoying it, won’t stick it out going forward, it’s a pretty poor lifestyle choice of your sole reason for switching is monetary driven

Anyone see the figures for a drystock farmer converting into a 70cow dairyfarm in the farming indo today. Drawings of 30k/yr, and the whole thing barely broke even!! Why would you bother...

30k wouldn't get you far with a young family. You'd have to like it because you certainly wouldn't be doing it for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

I had a quick look online at the article. I actually thought it wasn't too bad for the scale of the operation. I thought the capital spend was very high aswell considering you are converting existing buildings. Also they assumed no grants were available which seems a bit daft.
    On the 30k drawing if that's going into your personal account its not to bad, what Is the net figure on a 50k a year PAYE job? In terms of what goes into your personal account each month it wouldn't be much more than 30k a year.
    Also no commute to work around to pick up kids from school, flexible hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Yeh, criminal only putting in a 30k wage. Should be 40k. And in fairness then, 12 or 15 more cows (let's call it 85 cows) would be alot more realistic minimum herd size for someone converting over from beef. And Jay I personally think the sweet spot is the one main man, with plenty of part time labour during the spring, and then load on as many cows as he is comfortable with, for some lads this is 90, for others this is 160!

straight wrote: »
    I see we're in for another great summer. Spanish plume on the way.

Not next week anyway, anything else is speculative
    From MT on weather forum based on latest guidance not tabloid headlines

"
    NEXT WEEK will begin to turn very cool and at times rather wet as colder air moves in from the north while the storm track drops to the south of Munster, sometimes providing moderate northeast winds and rain. Highs most days will only be around 10 to 12 C and could be even cooler in some places."

Not stellar news for mine and Timmays location

My own rule of thumb is 1.5 acres per milking cow,rearing your own replacements etc.
    Going beyond that is just not worth it if every 3 years the extra profits are wiped out with either bad weather or bad prices

My own rule of thumb is 1.5 acres per milking cow,rearing your own replacements etc.
    Going beyond that is just not worth it if every 3 years the extra profits are wiped out with either bad weather or bad prices

I'd say your not too far wrong there. Alot less pressure on the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Does that not work out at a LU/ac?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

An Australian company has proven new technology that claims to keep milk fresh for 60 days without pasteurisation and opens up the possibility of exports of fresh milk by sea to China and other foreign markets.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2019-05-01/fresh-milk-breakthrough-offers-60-day-fridge-shelf-life/11062284

yewtree wrote: »
    I had a quick look online at the article. I actually thought it wasn't too bad for the scale of the operation. I thought the capital spend was very high aswell considering you are converting existing buildings. Also they assumed no grants were available which seems a bit daft.
    On the 30k drawing if that's going into your personal account its not to bad, what Is the net figure on a 50k a year PAYE job? In terms of what goes into your personal account each month it wouldn't be much more than 30k a year.
    Also no commute to work around to pick up kids from school, flexible hours.

I would see nothing wrong with 30k wage being pulled out from a newly converted operation.
    The 30k drawings is only an issue if your spouse isnt working, then its definitely not enough. Most spouses these days are working and mine says she thinks she'll always work (might change sometime)

wouldn't it be an alright living till you got the herd matured and humming? And as you say yew, haven't you your own hours and your own boss

Does that not work out at a LU/ac?

Close enough and still probably tight on nitrates at that

Close enough and still probably tight on nitrates at that

That's 2.5/ha that should be fine tbh. Derogation allows you go to 2.9lu
    If all your ground was in good heart and good grass you should make ample silage at 2.5 lu

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

An Australian company has proven new technology that claims to keep milk fresh for 60 days without pasteurisation and opens up the possibility of exports of fresh milk by sea to China and other foreign markets.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2019-05-01/fresh-milk-breakthrough-offers-60-day-fridge-shelf-life/11062284

The way they're going they may be short of lads to produce the milk for em

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Some amount of fr heifer calves being offered for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

orm0nd wrote: »
    Some amount of fr heifer calves being offered for sale.

My prediction is the Fr heifer calf market will be the next to go pop. Its not a well known fact, but in NZ almost all non ai born heifer calves end up as Bobby's also. We saw this spring AA calves made zero premium over Fr bull calves, and the HE aren't a huge amount better, so alot of lads not bothered paying a premium for a he or Aa bull anymore, against a Fr for say 1200 who will end up the factory for that next Sept,job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,197 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

My prediction is the Fr heifer calf market will be the next to go pop. Its not a well known fact, but in NZ almost all non ai born heifer calves end up as Bobby's also. We saw this spring AA calves made zero premium over Fr bull calves, and the HE aren't a huge amount better, so alot of lads not bothered paying a premium for a he or Aa bull anymore, against a Fr for say 1200 who will end up the factory for that next Sept,job done.
    I got 220 euro for a 20 day old Angus bull calf yesterday. Saw a few fr heifers go from 180 to 240.

Coiled the heifers today for AI next Saturday week with sexed Jersey straws, just to see how successful it might be. Used the PRID E ones, had to bring them all in again and cut off the cords as they had them pulled out just nosing around the yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Coiled the heifers today for AI next Saturday week with sexed Jersey straws, just to see how successful it might be. Used the PRID E ones, had to bring them all in again and cut off the cords as they had them pulled out just nosing around the yard.

not trying to put a dampener on your plans but i thought the general advice given for sexed was to AI to natural heats only... not to use if injecting heifers to come in heat???

not trying to put a dampener on your plans but i thought the general advice given for sexed was to AI to natural heats only... not to use if injecting heifers to come in heat???
    I've no bubbles left at this stage:D

What I read was that the best results were in synchronised to fixed time AI, that there isn't as much room to reach optimum conception with sexed as with normal straws? The fixed time hits closer to the right egg release time so there's better conception rates than sexed used for normal heats?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Freejin

Any opinions on leaving calves out,weather not spectacular for the next week. Always a bit slow leaving calves out here. All jan\feb born and weaned at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

Freejin wrote: »
    Any opinions on leaving calves out,weather not spectacular for the next week. Always a bit slow leaving calves out here. All jan\feb born and weaned at this stage

Out Out Out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Been mowing since Sunday and nearly all tedded out. Then 14mm of thunderstorm last night with more to follow. Ffs.
    Harvester arrived just now so I’ll send him home for a few hours.
    Good weather for planting doesn’t necessarily mean good weather for harvesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Freejin wrote: »

Keep calves in till week after off milk and fully weaned ,always stands to them .if off milk week or more let them off

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement