Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tommy Robinson campaigning for election to EU parliament - Mod warning in OP

• 03-05-2019 10:24am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭

Thread in AH had been closed as it is more suited to this forum.

Tommy Robinson is running as a candidate in the EU elections later this month. He is running as an independent in the North West constituency.

I personally think he has a great chance at election and I hope he gets to Brussels and shakes things up a bit.

His campaign hasn't got off to the best start he was assaulted 3 times in Warrington yesterday and supporters of his attacked protesters on the streets.

https://twitter.com/RealDannyTommo/status/1124225239557267457?s=19

https://twitter.com/RealDannyTommo/status/1124074323407507462?s=19

I'm going to allow this thread a chance to be constructive. If people just want to fire barbs at each other as happened in After Hours, this thread will be locked. Please ensure that:
    • You make your arguments in your own words
    • You do not just post links to tweets, videos and articles
    • You do not make digs at other posters
    • You refrain from calling people, including Tommy Robinson names as this is just childish
    • You refrain from soapboxing and engage with other posters

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: This is a forum for serious discussion. Please make your points in your own words instead of just posting tweets and videos.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

Remember Pim Fortuyn,it started with him getting egged and ended with him getting a bullet in the head.The Brit police need to get control of this and jail the scum from both sides that are assaulting people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

gaelwave wrote: »
    I hope he gets to Brussels and shakes things up a bit.

So tell us why you think that, what needs to be shaken up in the EU by someone like him, and which of his policies in particular do you agree with and like to be seen implemented across Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Remember Pim Fortuyn,it started with him getting egged and ended with him getting a bullet in the head.The Brit police need to get control of this and jail the scum from both sides that are assaulting people.

Funnily enough, assaulting people is one of the things that Tommy has been convicted of.

Specifically, assaulting an off-duty cop who intervened to stop wee Tommy assaulting his girlfriend.

Funnily enough, assaulting people is one of the things that Tommy has been convicted of.

Specifically, assaulting an off-duty cop who intervened to stop wee Tommy assaulting his girlfriend.

I know about that yeah.My point still stands.Scumbags assaulting people in the middle of a town centre is not on.

I get the feeling the violence only bothers you when Tommy and his supporters are dishing it out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭gaelwave

Hurrache wrote: »
    So tell us why you think that, what needs to be shaken up in the EU by someone like him, and which of his policies in particular do you agree with and like to be seen implemented across Europe?

I know little and care less about his actual policies.
    He will be a dissenting voice in Brussels and more people like that are needed over there.
    Too many yes man in Brussels.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Hi folks, if you're new to this forum, please do read the charter in its entirety, particularly:
    No personal abuse. NEVER attack a poster. Attack the content of their post. (You can tell someone that their opinion is based on incomplete or incorrect information, but do not call them an idiot.)
    No trolling or feeding the trolls. (including no excuses for joining a flaming match)

Keep your language civil, particularly when referring to other posters and people in the public eye. Using unsavoury language does not add to your argument. Examples would be referring to other people or groups as scumbags, crusties, sheeple, shills, trolls, traitors or saying that recently deceased people should “rot in hell” or similar. Repeated use of terms like that will result in a ban from the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

I know about that yeah.My point still stands.Scumbags assaulting people in the middle of a town centre is not on.

I get the feeling the violence only bothers you when Tommy and his supporters are dishing it out.

Yeah the police need to take it way more serious for both sides especially some of the assaults videos i've seen yesterday. More so for TR as he is running as a candidate. Cant have people assaulting candidates.

I think he will get into the MEP, he definitely has enough support to challenge strongly.

I personally think he has a great chance at election and I hope he gets to Brussels and shakes things up a bit.
    I know little and care less about his actual policies.
    He will be a dissenting voice in Brussels and more people like that are needed over there.
    Too many yes man in Brussels.

Sums up the problem of some of the electorate. Clueless as to the policies (although I'm quite sure you're in agreement with his stance on immigrants) of the person they're advocating for, and can't say what their problem is with the EU.

You've been brainwashed by soundbites.

declan2693 wrote: »
    I think he will get into the MEP, he definitely has enough support to challenge strongly.

What policies do you think draws the support you say is there? And what difference do you think he can make in the EU?

• Advertisement

declan2693 wrote: »
    Yeah the police need to take it way more serious for both sides especially some of the assaults videos i've seen yesterday. More so for TR as he is running as a candidate. Cant have people assaulting candidates.

The violence is not on, it wouldn't be tolerated if that were any other candidate out campaigning. The police would go in mob handed and make arrests. They were a complete no show yesterday.

The tolerant lefts mask is definitely slipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

The police in the UK have an ongoing campaign of harassment against Tommy. They deliberately put him in danger and deliberately put his family in danger. It's a disgrace.

So from what I can gather, nobody can talk about what they'd like changed in the EU and how Stephen Yakley-Lennon can make the EU better for us?

It's really just a very thinly veiled effort of continuing the thread from AH isn't it?

So from what I can gather, nobody can talk about what they'd like changed in the EU and how Stephen Yakley-Lennon can make the EU better for us?

It's really just a very thinly veiled effort of continuing the thread from AH isn't it?

He is not afraid to speak out about issues that affect and concern a lot of people who are not represented by the political establishment. This brings more balance and more democracy, even if you disagree with him.

Sums up the problem of some of the electorate. Clueless as to the policies (although I'm quite sure you're in agreement with his stance on immigrants) of the person they're advocating for, and can't say what their problem is with the EU.

You've been brainwashed by soundbites.

I'm all for controlled immigration from outside the EU.
    Do you have a particular candidate you have in mind for a seat in that constituency?

He is not afraid to speak out about issues that affect and concern a lot of people who are not represented by the political establishment. This brings more balance and more democracy, even if you disagree with him.

So tell us the issues that you agree with and what you think he can do for you, in Europe?

What problems do you currently have with the EU that you think he's a remedy for?

I'm all for controlled immigration from outside the EU.

Oh, so you're currently in agreement with existing EU policy?

So tell us the issues that you agree with and what you think he can do for you, in Europe?

What problems do you currently have with the EU that you think he's a remedy for?

Tackling extremism.
    Uncontrolled immigration.
    Police corruption.
    Media corruption.
    Attacks on Christian places of worship.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

I'd like to see him get elected. The working class in Britain don't have many people fighting their corner, what with a Tory government and a hard-left opposition.

Tackling extremism.
    Uncontrolled immigration.
    Police corruption.
    Media corruption.
    Attacks on Christian places of worship.

He is an extremist. But you know all these are being tackled already don't you? What can he do better, in the EU?
    ....you're not the only one asking questions...

Ah, the age old tactic of when you don't have answers, ask an unrelated question yourself and refuse to further back up your claims or statements from that point on.

• Advertisement

Oh, so you're currently in agreement with existing EU policy?

If you want to continue firing questions at posters have the decency to answer a question yourself when asked. I asked you if you had any particular candidate in mind for a seat in that constituency?

If you want to continue firing questions at posters have the decency to answer a question yourself when asked. I asked you if you had any particular candidate in mind for a seat in that constituency?

I'm not the one saying he can mix it up in Europe and saying there's issue with the EU as it is that he can resolve.

Enough of the whataboutery. You started the thread advocating for his election and can't offer one single argument as to why.

It's up to you to back up your statement and claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

He is an extremist. But you know all these are being tackled already don't you? What can he do better, in the EU?

In what way is he an extremist?

I'm not the one saying he can mix it up in Europe and saying there's issue with the EU as it is that he can resolve.

Enough of the whataboutery. You started the thread advocating for his election and can't offer one single argument as to why.

So I'll take it it's just you allowed to ask the questions around here.

I'll try once more, do you have a particular candidate in mind for a seat in that constituency?

So I'll take it it's just you allowed to ask the questions around here.

Simple debating for you.

You make a statement, start a thread on it, back up your initial claim. Secondary school stuff.

There's at least 3 of you here, and between you you can't highlight an EU policy that you think he can fix, or any of his policies that he can 'mix it up' with.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Anyone who doesn't heed the mod warnings above will risk a sanction. Less bickering, more debating please. If you're just interested in trying to bludgeon your opponents into submission with a high volume of one-liner posts, this isn't the place for you.

In short, if your post doesn't contain at least one paragraph, think very carefully before hitting "Submit Reply".

EDIT: Some recent posts that don't adhere to the charter have been removed. We'll start issuing sanctions if people persist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

Yaxley-Lennon has a lengthy criminal record for assault and fraud.Why anyone would give such a person their vote is beyond me,although I suspect it's because he sticks it to the Muslims and they like it.

I'd like to see him get elected. The working class in Britain don't have many people fighting their corner, what with a Tory government and a hard-left opposition.

Out of their 78 MEPs, the UK currently has 14 members of the Brexit Party, 3 UKIP, 19 Labour and only 18 conservatives.

The working class in Britain are far from under represented in the EU.

Yaxley-Lennon has a lengthy criminal record for assault and fraud.Why anyone would give such a person their vote is beyond me,although I suspect it's because he sticks it to the Muslims and they like it.

Any chance you got provide a link to this lengthy criminal record you claim he has.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

Any chance you got provide a link to this lengthy criminal record you claim he has.

Summary here: https://www.the-round.co.uk/charges-on-tommy-robinson-rap-sheet/

That's quite a chequered history for someone running for public office.Maybe you disagree but I'd rather vote for candidates with a clean rap sheet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement