Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

ozil10 wrote: »
    I have aubrac bulls the last two years.
    Fine looking calves but a pain in the hole to rear.
    Very poor to drink
    What breed aubrac bulls do you have
    Mine were off Dolby and Capatain

Mine are twin bulls by a stock bull and the dam is by a stock bull as well. Bizet second bull on the sire side and Monnier Pasatour second bulll on the dams side. I wouldn’t know much about the breeding, were two good looking bulls last year when I bought them but the projected 1.6% calving difficulty was a big plus for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Mooooo wrote: »
    What's it say? not signed up to that

Just Jack's thoughts on how much the dairy industry has benefited from the Greenfield project and how much more there is to be gotten from it. Thought myself they were good points.
    Some wont agree but that's always the case.

I think it was a valid project, some would disagree and that's fine too

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ozil10

What's it say? not signed up to that

Just Jack's thoughts on how much the dairy industry has benefited from the Greenfield project and how much more there is to be gotten from it. Thought myself they were good points.
    Some wont agree but that's always the case.

it was a valid project, some would disagree and that's fine too
    I agree it was a valid project and they showed total transparency with costs etc

He still didn't know exactly the reason why glanbia have pulled the plug with 5 years still left on the lease

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Can you sign up to see the journal articles for free or is there a charge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

What will happen with the 5 years lease? Will they pay all rent due for 5 years or if that group of farmers take it over will they just step into their shoes and continue as it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

ozil10 wrote: »
    I agree it was a valid project and they showed total transparency with costs etc

He still didn't know exactly the reason why glanbia have pulled the plug with 5 years still left on the lease

I've heard they don't want to be associated with the Bobby calves image.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

straight wrote: »
    I've heard they don't want to be associated with the Bobby calves image.

So will that be a condition of the next msa?

Glanbia have to say why they are pulling out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,118 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Hopefully the project continues but with changes to more reflect farming in Ireland not New Zealand .likewise is like to know glanbia and farm owner reasons for ending it we can all speculate as to why but no doubt last years events ,cow /calf/calving housing facilities and Bobby calf issues are no doubt behind it due to all the coverage and negative image it gives off .also blew away the myth of low cost dairying here ,it’s a long way from it if everything is costed just ignore the profit monitor figures given out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

What weed is this? It's taken over in a strip that was hit very hard by the drought last summer. And will forefront kill it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Timmaay wrote: »
    What weed is this? It's taken over in a strip that was hit very hard by the drought last summer. And will forefront kill it?

narrowleaf plantain?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Black button. The Kiwis call it Plantain or as one over zealous guy said “envirotain”. That’s when I switched off but it going to restore NZ dairy eco credentials apparently

Pastor Trio or Forefront will kill it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Black button. The Kiwis call it Plantain or as one over zealous guy said “envirotain”. That’s when I switched off but it going to restore NZ dairy eco credentials apparently

Pastor Trio or Forefront will kill it

I might have the wrong plant but, plantain is good at hoovering up some otherwise locked up nutrients and pulling them but to the surface when they are decomposed due to it's long taproot.

Calving has finished here -thankfully- until the Autumn. Eldest lad played a blinder while I was away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭orm0nd

whelan2 wrote: »
    Calving has finished here -thankfully- until the Autumn. Eldest lad played a blinder while I was away :)

Finished here as well. This auld lad played a blinder while Junior was away. Jaysus I'm wrecked hitting the sack shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

I might have the wrong plant but, plantain is good at hoovering up some otherwise locked up nutrients and pulling them but to the surface when they are decomposed due to it's long taproot.

It is and super at hoovering urea deposited through bovine urine. Really heavily populated stand required to be effective.

Used heavily in organic pastures to do exactly as you say

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Also known to prevent worm issues in Cattle that graze on swards with it. A friend of mine who has SAC land near Hollymount in Mayo told me last year that his yearlings never need drenching when they spend the summer on the part of the farm were this plant is in the sward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,953 ✭✭✭alps

Easy Timmaay, if it has proven itself in a drought, should you not play the percentage game and leave it there for this summer at least...?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,103 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

It is and super at hoovering urea deposited through bovine urine. Really heavily populated stand required to be effective.

Used heavily in organic pastures to do exactly as you say

The plantain that we saw last October is very different to whats's wild in the fields now, :D Would the wild stuff have the same qualities, With Timaays mangement it'll probably die off naturally anyway,

• Advertisement

alps wrote: »
    Easy Timmaay, if it has proven itself in a drought, should you not play the percentage game and leave it there for this summer at least...?

This is an outside block that I can only cut silage off, I reseeded it last May, which was the worst possible time given the drought, it just about struck, didn't get any post emergence spray, all I could do was top the weeds in August, and thankfully mostly just grass came back. I got a reasonable crop of bales in both October and early April off it, but there was a strip where the grass is alot thinner with mostly that weed in, this weed was only 5/6 inches high against a foot high of good grass, so there is no real option to leave it there now. The plan is to go with forefront ASAP while the weeds (plenty docks also) are getting going, so hopefully this will solve my problems now. If I was to do anything with it I'd stitch in some clover to reduce the nitrogen I need to spread on it, I'd happily take the early and late season reduction in grass growth, because its hard to preserve early and late cuts of silage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

wrangler wrote: »
    The plantain that we saw last October is very different to whats's wild in the fields now, :D Would the wild stuff have the same qualities, With Timaays mangement it'll probably die off naturally anyway,

Only difference with the wild stuff is it's lower growing and much more prostrate so suppresses grass more

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

This forecast stuff on the milk statement is lovely.
    You're supposed to contact your milk manager if the supply is 10% below the forecast.

I'm on a par with last year's supply but I'm 23% below the forecast set for me for the month. I don't see the point of this crap bar to push you to produce more at all costs.
    I suppose it keeps someone in a job.

You're supposed to contact your milk manager if the supply is 10% below the forecast.

I'm on a par with last year's supply but I'm 23% below the forecast set for me for the month. I don't see the point of this crap bar to push you to produce more at all costs.

Hahah nearly every forecast survey I've sent in I've wildly overestimated, like back 5yrs ago when I was totally green and singing purely off the teagasc post quota hymnsheet I thought I'd be ramping up 100kl at least every year ha.

Hahah nearly every forecast survey I've sent in I've wildly overestimated, like back 5yrs ago when I was totally green and singing purely off the teagasc post quota hymnsheet I thought I'd be ramping up 100kl at least every year ha.

I didn't fill out the forecast survey that came out in the post. Truth be told I lost the form. But the manager was badgering me with text messages non stop to get it in. So he finally phoned me up and we did it over the phone. I told him I couldn't expand anymore as I'm landlocked so to put down the same as last year. Then the question came up about would I get a zero grazer? I've no interest in that rooting so that box was ticked.

I supplied 20% more litres than last April. The weather last April was brutal. You can't plan for the weather.

whelan2 wrote: »
    I supplied 20% more litres than last April. The weather last April was brutal. You can't plan for the weather.

The only good thing I suppose is they can say (in my case anyway) that production is less than forecast so we'll have to increase prices.. :)

The main idea of forecasting is for processing capacity at peak and if there is enough there. Planned to be a good bit ahead of where I am 're supply but tb fcuked that out of the water. Still tho year on year from jan to end of this month I am the same as last year but just for April i am up 30k litres, just had no supply in Jan this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

Do any of ye give the cows extra phosphorous this time of the year. Alot of cows eating stones here

• Advertisement

Anyone see the figures for a drystock farmer converting into a 70cow dairyfarm in the farming indo today. Drawings of 30k/yr, and the whole thing barely broke even!! Why would you bother...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement