Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Hannah : Fri 26 - Sat 27 April 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

green123 wrote: »
    No they should not have had a red warning, because the winds were nowhere near red level. Simple as that

Gusts recorded at Shannon Airport of 123km/h, trees down all over the county. Does it take people dying for idiots like you to justify the red warning?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We will rebuild.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

No they should not have had a red warning, because the winds were nowhere near red level. Simple as that

From the one official station in the north east of the county when the worst but was the west, middle and south of the county?

Read the thread, people's stations in the area were above the red warning. It was warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

If the models snow 140-160km/h winds, and if they all show it and agree on it, what do you want ME to do? Say "oh no let's not issue warnings here, sure this will end up as 110km/h only" only for the models to be right, people out driving and getting squashed by falling trees. We don't know if the warnings saved a life tonight and stopped somebody from going out to where they were going.

There was some very strong gusts throughout the day in my part of cork city and there are other people in the city and close to the city who have said there was so it wasn't a damp squib down here, maybe in your part but not in every part of the city and county. Again I'm 2.6km As the crow flies from the airport so I get what that get but there was reports from rochestown etc aswell. Think the max was around 60kts by me.

Carlow weather showed us some stations in Clare where the red warning was actually for aka west Clare which showed gusts over 140km/h. Met E doesn't have official stations in the west of the county and only in the north east of the county really.

Yeah the lack of official weather stations in the west really shows in these conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Wind speeds did not reach red warning levels.

A few areas were in the middle of orange.

Why all the hype?

Most people are starting to ignore these warnings now because they are turning out to be non events.

Thanks to these warnings, I do not have damage to my property, I had cut back trees, moved vehicles, garden furniture, plant pots, and battened down the hatches, and most importantly stayed off the road, for if I had gone out , it is very likely I could not return until storm was over, because of the tree down situation, so thanks to all for the advice,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You know that now. Hindsight is 20/20. Models in advance were showing the possibility/probability of red-level winds, hence red-level warnings.

Do we have to do this tiresome argument Every. Single. Time? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Nowhere near? 7kmph less was recorded

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Unfortunately yes we do, get used to it I'm afraid.

Gets very repetitive over time that nothing surprises you anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Talk about hype from today's Irish Independent 120 kmh is not lethal

"Winds gusted to a potentially lethal 120kmh off the Clare coast and around the Aran Islands, resulting in high seas and downed trees on land."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭jackboy

After decades of experience of storms in west Clare I would say that the red warning was justified. It was a short storm (bad for about two hours) and in general the winds were probably in the orange warning range. However, there were a few gusts that were extreme and I would be surprised if these were not in the red range. They were not far off the worst I have experienced.

Ultimately I suppose without more widespread measurements we can only speculate.

• Advertisement

I've just remembered the Ignore button.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Guys, don't feed the trolls. Don't engage. Ignore. No eye contact, look away :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The wind is still fairly whipping here in Galway. The trees are taking a hammering with the extra pull of the leaves.it will take a while yet for it to settle

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Can only speak for myself here, but the red was certainly justified in my part of West Clare. Sadly have to face roof damage this morning that has never occured before, and several long-standing trees that have never faltered before are fallen or half fallen. Luckily I kept power, but there was thousands of people without just a few kilometers away.

It's sad that we can't talk about the weather here, but instead almost every post is about some warning system. The weather does not care for this system, and happens regardless. Can we all grow up a little here?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

endainoz wrote: »
    Few trees down in the area, the weather station in Clahane cut off at 112km gusts at 11pm, likely went much higher. Not may trees in Aran, plenty in Clare. Luckily we didn't get high seas with this, would have had serious damage. Red warning was justified here for sure. If people want to be thick and ignore warnings that's fine. The likes of us who live near the Atlantic know how to take precautions in these situations and respect nature. Idiots will always be idiots.

What anyone who lives near the Atlantic or any great ocean learns is the utmost respect, even fear, of the unharnessed power of the weather. In the North Sea those years, I saw things i never imagined in these islands. A neighbour;s substantial hen house literally lifted off the ground and hurled across fields. Boulders thrown from the shore across two or three fields. When I had to go out to feed stock, hanging on to washing poles and feeling as if the skin was being flayed off your face. Seeing reeds literally bent double to the ground. One such storm they recorded gusts of 124 MILES an hour.

In one gale that exploded a pylon with a great crack of doom, we were listening to reports of a small ship out at sea that had had the wheelhouse blown out.
    These winds are a raw power and the more we respect them and warn others to do so the better.
    Especially those who have not learned as we have.
    It was yellow out here last night as it is now ,but the sheer power was there. No way would any sensible person ignore the gales. Legalism has no place in forecasting and warning advice.

Deeply thankful for the conscientiousness of met eirrean and the experts here

and here? The word re ferries is if in doubt we don't sail.

Glad all are safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Still some very gusty winds with the showers here in Kildare. Hail too!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Power knocked out at about 21.00 last night here near Tralee and restored around 10.15 , thanks ESB .

Gusting up around 90 km/h here for a few hours, interesting that the strongest winds for us came from about 19.30 to midnight and remained very windy overnight gusting over 70 km/h, still quite breezy this morning. Thankfully no damage ( apart from a lot of leaves burnt to a crisp) .

One of those situations where almost all the computer model guidance available was indicating winds of 130 km/h + and 140 to 150 along the coastal fringes of Clare and Kerry right up to the first winds reaching our shores, hence the late red warning for kerry. I think Met Eireann showed great restraint and only put out warnings when they felt sure and obliged to do so going on the guidance available and of course their own expertise. The wind speeds did not materialize as strong as expected. Will be interesting to see or attempt an analysis of Satellite imagery, pressures, track etc. Early on Satellite imagery did suggest that the winds peaked offshore just a bit before getting to land .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: Posters need to stay on topic. Remain civil . Stick to the forum charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

ME are damned if they do and damned if they don't, if a Red Warning for a few hours forced people indoors and probably saved lives they done the right thing going by what they were looking At, how often have we watched live Hurricanes in the US on TV and they don't get as bad as forecast in certain areas same here .

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭banjolin

Maybe someone with more weather knowledge can comment on this but in wind energy the most power is generated during gusty and erratic wind events, rather than from constant stable high winds, which suggests that it is gusts rather than wind speeds are more likely to cause serious damage. Gusts are unpredictable and in my experience can be breathtakingly strong and damaging. So what maths is used to predict gusts and can gusts be stronger and more localised than models can predict? Certainly the area around South Tipp got hammered last night despite the overall wind speeds being well below what might have been expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It is starting to quieten at last... sheer bliss.... just a few short lulls.. we can breathe again..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Certainly think red warnings are warranted if there is uncertainty about how intense the storm may get. Go in for a few hours it wont kill you but ignnoring the warnings will.

Wind gusts of 7 to 8kph off red level are touch n go and indeed extremely dangerous.

Any storm at its peak like this should be treated with respect.

Numerous storms in the 90s I remember were under predicted and caused huge damage. Now we have much better forecasting systems it is best heed them and most people have been in fairness.

Street was fairly empty last night

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Red warning was issued based on the information that was available at the time.
    Do some people honestly expect ME to wait until trees are coming down / roof tiles blowing off to then issue a warning.
    Lesson's have been learned over the years and the warnings issued yesterday reduced damage and indeed may have saved lives.
    Yes it was not as severe as it could have been-Luckily!
    But that in no way should be a reason to criticize ME or indeed posters on here.

Wasting my time trying to explain logic...

Still rather windy in South east Kerry at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Do some people honestly expect ME to wait until trees are coming down / roof tiles blowing off to then issue a warning.

If they do that then people will moan that they didn’t get warned, just look at Storm Ali which was “only” an orange warning and some said it should have been a red. I can almost guarantee that if it was a red, people would then say it was overhyped and that they had no stormy weather in their backyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Horrible morning here on the Laois/kildare border ...fairly strong gusts with driving rainfall.
    Wasn’t expecting it to be this bad today.. anything kids had planned for today are cancelled or postponed.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Maybe it's just me but I find it mildly entertaining to read the squabbling over warning systems and always wonder how people can't apply a logic and perspective to the warning systems. Would think the majority of the population understand the general differences between the warnings and take the appropriate precautions which is a far cry from no warning systems and inaccurate forecasts from years ago.

Just to be pedantic the Red warning for wind is not just max gusts >130km/h and also applies to mean winds in excess of 80km/h. Last night Met.ie recorded mean winds of 93km/h in Mace, 91km/h Sherkin Island, 78 km/h Valentia which pretty accurately reflects what they were saying in their Meteorologists Commentary yesterday and I'm sure there were higher numbers in coastal Kerry/Clare where there aren't any Met Eireann stations.

https://www.met.ie/meteorologists-commentary

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

I can’t believe what I am reading here !! Are people seriously giving out about warnings issued in certain places because THEY feel it wasn’t warranted? Seriously people ME issued red warnings on the data they had infront Of them . Clare and Kerry are Huge counties , a town in one of these places could have gusts in the red zone but someone else 5 miles away might have only had orange or even yellow level gusts , what is it people expect from ME? It seems people want ME to stay “ there are going to be gusts of a scale red in Killarney but only gusts of a orange in Kenmare” ? Warnings are issued for people to be aware , take action and protect their lives and others around them . Be thankful you are getting warnings , and if it turns out it’s not as bad as expected then praise the lord and enjoy the new day !! I for one am thankful for ME and the experienced posters here for all the warnings we get . After people lost lives in my county of west Waterford when Ophelia was here last year , warnings issued and yet people still were out and about driving around with trees and debris flying around all over the place , I am certainly thankful for all warnings and I like many others take them seriously . And guess what ? If the weather turned out not to warrant the warning , am I annoyed about it ? No I bloody well am not ! I’m thankful I listened and I’m thankful we got through the storm unharmed and without any damage .. we had a orange warning in Waterford and it certainly was warranted at times. Can we stop this moaning about warnings not being warranted , if you want to listen to the warnings then do and if you don’t want to listen to the warnings then don’t , go about your business but if you get into difficulty let it be on your head , don’t put the lives of our wonderful emergency services at risk coming to rescue you when you couldn’t be bothered listening to the warning !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    You know that now. Hindsight is 20/20. Models in advance were showing the possibility/probability of red-level winds, hence red-level warnings.

if they got it right we wouldn't be having this discussion.

The problem is that they keep getting it wrong.

And not just once.

Every. Single. Time

And not just once.

Every. Single. Time
    Again, this is said with the benefit of hindsight. You're soooo clever after the fact.

Another one for the Ignore button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

Well I’m thankful they are “ getting it wrong “ today in hindsight some will say it was slightly over exaggerated , but I’d rather it be over exaggerated rather then under exaggerated ! We must remember they can only supply us with a forecast based on the models and tools they have available to them . Is work needed to update tools available to weather forecasters ? Most defiantly yes ! Technology is evolving constantly , but this is what we have right now and that’s what they have to work with so they are doing the best they can with the tools they have !

And not just once.

Every. Single. Time

Advertisement