Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Zappi charge points

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

stimpson wrote: »
    The Zappi will load balance so you save the cost of a priority switch (€100 plus labour). If you buy an untethered charger then you also need to factor in €150 for a charge cable. the Outlander has an issue if you use the charge timer where preheating/cooling uses the battery, so I use the Zappi smart boost, then any preheating comes from the mains.

The total installed cost for me after the grant was €155. If and when I get around to solar/battery I don’t need to replace my charger. I think the marginal cost of a Zappi after the grant makes it worthwhile.

It may have worked out well for you, but that doesn't mean it'll work our well for everyone. I'd encourage people do their own maths, and not jump blindly into anything.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Is the Zappi (first version) tethered only?

I'd likely want/need untethered since the distance from charger to charging port would be at least 5m. So i'd need to get an extra long charging cable.
    Have I got this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I'd likely want/need untethered since the distance from charger to charging port would be at least 5m. So i'd need to get an extra long charging cable.
    Have I got this right?

It’s tethered. There is an 8m version available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Have I got this right?

I'm sure the first gen Zappi came with a choice of 5m or 8m tethered cables.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Not sure how I didn't spot this before. http://theevcompany.com looks like €615 (incl vat ??), but everything says out of stock.
    Thanks guys. Probably not the right charger for me (deciding here), but good to know my options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

Over and back to MyEnergi over an issue with the car not charging intermittently. Known bug and they're looking at it.

TBH at this stage I'm not that impressed with them.

Harvi is very weak, as it is powered from current going through it, if the current is low it just doesn't send data.

Looking at a solution where I can hard wire the CT for the Zappi but the Eddi can't read off the zappi ct, it needs hard wire itself or harvi.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Over and back to MyEnergi over an issue with the car not charging intermittently. Known bug and they're looking at it.

Can you give more detail. What's the bug, is it some sequence of events or particular cars or only if you have SolarPV or is it the Harvi integration that causes it etc?

Im about to buy a Zappi so want to know if the bug will affect me straight away or later on when I'll likely have SolarPV (hopefully the bug will be fixed by then!).

• Registered Users Posts: 64,843 ✭✭✭✭unkel

KCross wrote: »
    Im about to buy a Zappi.

That surprises me. You already have another car charger, don't you? I would at least wait until you have the PV installed. And of course only get a Zappi if you can charge your car most days during the day

Can you give more detail. What's the bug, is it some sequence of events or particular cars or only if you have SolarPV or is it the Harvi integration that causes it etc?

Im about to buy a Zappi so want to know if the bug will affect me straight away or later on when I'll likely have SolarPV (hopefully the bug will be fixed by then!).

This is the mail I sent. Don't think it is to do with SolarPV at all as this occurs and 00:15 when I start to charge from nightsaver.
    Hi Ady,

I received the hub and updated both zappi and eddi. Unfortunately this has introduced a new issue that is worse than the original.

My car is failing to charge at night because of a "Grid Limit". I can't see how this would happen as it is only a 3.3kw nissan leaf and nothing else is running. I have checked the logs and it hits the limit as soon as the car starts to charge.

I have tried increasing the supply current but cannot increase it past 31.8A

I disabled compatibility mode and this didn't change anything.

Can you please come back as soon as possible as this is causing a lot of headaches with a car not charged in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭_ned_

Same here, Gary. I have no PV, but I use ECO+ mode and the boost timer to start the car charging when night-rate cuts in. It's an Outlander also. Every second or 3rd night, it tries to start charging, fails and gives up. Other times, it half charges. It's a bug in the load management in ECO+ mode. If I switch over to FAST mode or turn on a manual boost, it starts charging instantly at full rate. So, nothing to do with the charger hardware or the car.

Been in touch with myenergi many times but no solution offered. It's such a pity because it is a nice EVSE.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I wonder is that the same issue I'm having. It doesn't seem to happen every time but a few nights it never kicked in so I've started making sure it's charging before I go to bed. When I unlock the zappi it instantly starts charging without any problem provided it's within the night saver hours.

I'm using the car's scheduling rather than the zappi's fyi.

hmm, thats 3 of you with the same issue. That doesnt sound good, particularly if they havent provided a solution which suggests its not something small you have configured wrong.

I'll take a look over in the UK forum to see if there is any wisdon there, where there are alot more Zappi owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Just wondering if you have the charge timer set on the car. I had issues with preheat on the outlander so I changed to the Zappi timer with smart boost and only had one issue of it not charging.

I wonder could it be related to the type 1 plug. It’s very stiff and I know the missus plugged it in one night and it wasn’t all the way in. I did see a blog where someone had removed the springs in the plug to make it easier to use. I’ve been thinking of doing it myself.

stimpson wrote: »
    Just wondering if you have the charge timer set on the car. I had issues with preheat on the outlander so I changed to the Zappi timer with smart boost and only had one issue of it not charging.

I wonder could it be related to the type 1 plug. It’s very stiff and I know the missus plugged it in one night and it wasn’t all the way in. I did see a blog where someone had removed the springs in the plug to make it easier to use. I’ve been thinking of doing it myself.

Nope, all came about with the firmware update.

I can see the event log giving that random error.

And it is hit and miss, happens once every few nights.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5i0ruz0s10o4tjo/Screenshot%202019-04-24%2014.22.01.png?dl=0

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I don't think I've seen grid limit in the logs on mine, will give it a proper check when i go home later.

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Nope, all came about with the firmware update.

I can see the event log giving that random error.

And it is hit and miss, happens once every few nights.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5i0ruz0s10o4tjo/Screenshot%202019-04-24%2014.22.01.png?dl=0

Maybe the CT clamp isnt reporting properly?

Maybe use one of the off the shelf wireless monitors and cross check what Zappi is reading. Simple tests like turning on a kettle or electric shower and see what Zappi says is being drawn.

Also, there is a "Grid limit" option in the menus somewhere which you should have set to 60A (i.e. the limit of your consumer unit fuse). What is that set to?

No, it's not the plug or any hardware issue. Switching to FAST gets it charging right away. Nor is it a car timer issue (I don't use the car timer at all) for same reason. If you do have plug problems, try a squirt of WD40 into the plug, and make sure that the rubber cap doesn't have water in it. The problem only occurs in ECO+ mode. FAST mode or a BOOST gets the car charging every time. It's simply a bug in the load management algorithm of ECO+ mode, where it's trying to juggle Grid load, PV input, and car demand at the same time. FAST mode only cares about grid load and car, and that always works.
    I wonder if it is due to noise on the PV CT (which is unconnected on mine)? I might try shorting that to see if it solves the problem. Cable is CAT5 correctly installed by a really top-class electrician. The Zappi CT is reading grid load correctly because I have a separate energy monitor on the incomer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭denismc

I am starting to think the MyEnergi products haven't been fully tested in the field before being released to Joe Public!, from my own experience and from reading here and on other forums that there are quite a few issues that people are having with their products.

MyEnergi sent me a hub to upgrade the firmware and I had great difficulty getting the devices to pair, turns out the Myenegi products all communicate at 868 MHz which is also used by home automation systems like Tado, Philips Hue, Nest etc. so there seems to be interference with these systems.
    Also there seem to any number of firmware versions out there for each device.

Don't get me wrong their stuff is definetley innovative but I do get the sense that anyone who buys their stuff is a beta-tester.

Grid limit is set at 12kW, Zappi limit at 32A, and the Zappi tracks my own energy monitor perfectly. And just switching from ECO+ to FAST mode solves the problem every time, so it's not a hardware problem or a grid limit problem. Also, the Outlander only draws about 3.3kW, so nowhere near the Zappi or grid limit.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys - always good to go over all the options. But, geez is it frustrating! Trudging out to the car at midnight swearing I'd be better off with a granny cable and a 5 euro plug timer.

I've emailed myenergi again and asked for some help on this. It should be a very easy fix. No hardware faults. Just a software bug.

_ned_ wrote: »
    No, it's not the plug or any hardware issue. Switching to FAST gets it charging right away. Nor is it a car timer issue (I don't use the car timer at all) for same reason. If you do have plug problems, try a squirt of WD40 into the plug, and make sure that the rubber cap doesn't have water in it. The problem only occurs in ECO+ mode. FAST mode or a BOOST gets the car charging every time. It's simply a bug in the load management algorithm of ECO+ mode, where it's trying to juggle Grid load, PV input, and car demand at the same time. FAST mode only cares about grid load and car, and that always works.
    I wonder if it is due to noise on the PV CT (which is unconnected on mine)? I might try shorting that to see if it solves the problem. Cable is CAT5 correctly installed by a really top-class electrician. The Zappi CT is reading grid load correctly because I have a separate energy monitor on the incomer.

Does yours give the exact same error as Gary?
    i.e. "Grid Limit"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭zg3409

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'm using the car's scheduling rather than the zappi's fyi.

Then most probably it is car related. Which car? The ioniq has known bug solved by latest car updates.

Grid limit is set at 12kW, Zappi limit at 32A, and the Zappi tracks my own energy monitor perfectly. And just switching from ECO+ to FAST mode solves the problem every time, so it's not a hardware problem or a grid limit problem. Also, the Outlander only draws about 3.3kW, so nowhere near the Zappi or grid limit.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys - always good to go over all the options. But, geez is it frustrating! Trudging out to the car at midnight swearing I'd be better off with a granny cable and a 5 euro plug timer.

Since you dont have Solar, why do you have it in ECO+ mode?

Hi KCross, no, I don't think so. (I'm away at the moment, so I can't check it.) Ady at myenergi asked me to take a photo of the Readings 1 screen, specifically interested in the PWM value. When it fails, it's 10% PWM, and when it works, it's 50% PWM. 10% is the EVSE setting a 6A limit, which is below the 1400W threshold for the car to start charging.
    https://openev.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000052070-theory-of-operation

So, basically, it looks like the EVSE is never letting the car charge by keeping the current limit too low. Flip into FAST mode, and the problem disappears, PWM goes to 50% within a second or two and the car takes its max current.

zg3409 wrote: »
    Then most probably it is car related. Which car? The ioniq has known bug solved by latest car updates.

It's an ioniq yeah. It's 191 though so I didn't think I'd have that bug but it could very well be what the issue is.

So, basically, it looks like the EVSE is never letting the car charge by keeping the current limit too low. Flip into FAST mode, and the problem disappears, PWM goes to 50% within a second or two and the car takes its max current.

What I'm asking is, why do you have it in ECO+ mode(which is primarily for Solar). Why is it not in FAST mode all the time, since you say that always works?

I'd also be interested to know what you have the CT1 and CT2 options in the Advanced settings set to.
    Since you have no Solar, CT2, I think, should be set to disabled. If its not disabled it might think it has a Solar input and performing a bad calculation. Just a stab in the dark.

What I'm asking is, why do you have it in ECO+ mode(which is primarily for Solar). Why is it not in FAST mode all the time, since you say that always works?

I presume it's because to schedule night rate charging you need to use the "boost" function in eco mode. If it's set to fast and you're not the using car's scheduling it will jsut charge at full power regardless of the time of day.

I presume it's because to schedule night rate charging you need to use the "boost" function in eco mode. If it's set to fast and you're not the using car's scheduling it will jsut charge at full power regardless of the time of day.

But you can set the timer of the car to only charge during night rate. Might be a workaround?

unkel wrote: »
    But you can set the timer of the car to only charge during night rate. Might be a workaround?

That's what I do but I've had issues lately with the car not getting charged too. My issue sounds different to the other lads as I just have the charger set to fast the whole time.

In over 2 years of using the ABL charger I can't say I've had a single issue with Ioniq charging (that wasn't caused by ourselves, not having the right settings in the car, not plugging the car in right, not locking the car, etc.) The ABL charger never had as much as a hick up. And that's a non-tethered charger with a 15m cable being permanently outdoors and connected in, just using the standard rubber flap at the car end.

For the price Myenergi are charging, you'd expect something high quality and reliable. And the new model is going to be significantly more expensive again. There's worth less than €100 worth of components in a car charger lads. It nowhere justifies a GBP700 price tag. They are ticking the p1ss here. I briefly considered upgrading to one myself, which makes far less sense again than buying with the grant.

• Advertisement

That's what I do but I've had issues lately with the car not getting charged too. My issue sounds different to the other lads as I just have the charger set to fast the whole time.

Indeed. Could be multiple issues here.

The Zappi has a myriad of settings as it is trying to do multiple integrations with grid limiting, Solar PV and supporting multiple car types and then some other features like the smart boost etc..... the volume of settings are not for the faint-hearted!

But if their support line are not able to give answers when its not working for people, its not good!

Advertisement