Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Had planned Dublin Athlone. First time in a while.

Got to Mulingear and free hub went. Just about managed to Moate for a lift.

A new free hub and required.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2304878405

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭secman

Yesterday:
    stocking lane, viewpoint, kippure, Sally Gap, my climbing is terrible, must practice more, descent to Manor Kilbride, 3 castles, blessington, back via n81. 70km 800 m, avg 25kph, clocked 78kph on descent.
    Today:
    Headed into Gorey, out old n11 to Arklow, down to Jack Whites, Brittas Bay, arklow, Gorey, down to courtown, coast road to Ballygarrett, Kilmuckridge, home.
    101 km avg 28.3 kph
    Went into Gorey to watch bunch go by to Cranford for finish of stage 1 of Gorey 3 day .

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

Quick 50 km spin, Tallaght, Blessington and back this morning, cycled to the shops when I got back and am working in Dun Laoghaire tonight so there's another few km in

Question for the thread, is there an etiquette for when overtaking another cyclist? Usually say hello/morning but is it a good idea to check in on them/give encouragement or can that be a bit insulting?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

CormacH94 wrote: »
    ...Question for the thread, is there an etiquette for when overtaking another cyclist? Usually say hello/morning but is it a good idea to check in on them/give encouragement or can that be a bit insulting?
    In a rural area I'd usually say hello etc. In an urban setting I might give a raise of the left hand as I pass (depending on the type of cyclist they are) or If I know them, I'll have a brief chat.

I wouldn't give encouragement - I'd think that would be a bit weird (unless I was passing a child doing a sportive or something similar).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

In a rural area I'd usually say hello etc. In an urban setting I might give a raise of the left hand as I pass (depending on the type of cyclist they are) or If I know them, I'll have a brief chat.

I wouldn't give encouragement - I'd think that would be a bit weird (unless I was passing a child doing a sportive or something similar).

armstrongullrich.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Quick 50 km spin, Tallaght, Blessington and back this morning, cycled to the shops when I got back and am working in Dun Laoghaire tonight so there's another few km in

Question for the thread, is there an etiquette for when overtaking another cyclist? Usually say hello/morning but is it a good idea to check in on them/give encouragement or can that be a bit insulting?

Id always give a small salute with my left hand passing. It would be very rare I'd offer words unless the person was dying on the road and in that case I may offer a draft if it's a bad day.

9/10 I'd always get a wave or lift of the hand from others and a hello, I'm usually the one being over taken by groups so not in a position to be giving encouragement but I wouldn't personally do it. However if I saw someone absolutely out on their feet I might offer water and check they are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I got out around NCD today and then back home to D8. Really nice day, about 75k all in.

On the subject of waving I waved at everybody today, it was one of those days.

I was allowed take the youngest out on the bike properly today, she's going on 10 months now. In the past I've wheeled her around our road on it but she did a 2km loop with me cycling today :pac:

The noises coming from the back when we got up to 15-20 kmph were unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just used mapmyride on a spin there for the first time in a long while and it didn't give me how many kms or a map view of the route. Is this a new thing to get you to upgrade or is it working okay for others? I've got location services switched on for the app so am stumped as to why it didn't measure the distance, only the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,543 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

That's been a gas week. Seven days ago, it was four degrees with a wind that would cut you in two. Got out today for an hour and a half and it was 20 degrees warmer and the wind just seemed to push me forwards. Glorious day for it. 47km just shy of 31km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just used mapmyride on a spin there for the first time in a long while and it didn't give me how many kms or a map view of the route. Is this a new thing to get you to upgrade or is it working okay for others? I've got location services switched on for the app so am stumped as to why it didn't measure the distance, only the time.

Yeah, gives calorie burn instead. Don't care about that, have plenty of them to burn but would like to know the km as you go. It does give it in the ride summary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

Drogheda to annagassin via clogherhead and back ....total just over 60k...just over 2 hours.

Just the one dangerous overtake by man in small white. van.

Overtook me with on coming traffic. Just about gave me 3 inches of space. Very very scary. Hope he heard the roar I let put at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Muahahaha wrote:

Been using it for the last 4 years, no such issue. Might be a glitch.

tigerboon wrote: »
    Yeah, gives calorie burn instead. Don't care about that, have plenty of them to burn but would like to know the km as you go. It does give it in the ride summary

yeah I was expecting it to give km in the ride summary but instead it was stuck on 0.0km. Must be a glitch as rushfan said, I'll delete the app and reinstall in the hope of a fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah I was expecting it to give km in the ride summary but instead it was stuck on 0.0km. Must be a glitch as rushfan said, I'll delete the app and reinstall in the hope of a fix.

Protect the app from battery saving or it may sleep the GPS when the phone is locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭positron

I left Drogheda yesterday morning with no definite plans - headed out to West for a change, thru Duleek, past Kentstown taking in the smells of freshly cut grass and weed & feed type fertilizers... and got as far as Tara. Nice roads between N2 and N3. Short but narrow climb up to Tara, and the place was buzzing with families out having picnics and generally having a good time.

Idyllic views to enjoy:
    n9OXSKCl-xfrAJ2w4k5sgFzYKgxwehyNpmNbJUUxYUWv_D4YGopTwrLNHE6FBnAXPFZfxtjaT1BEL8s08t9dZj9rPTocTp9yYKrwqAuglMV0s78im1t_p0u7D4kxJ2jEMYYJx0VjcFa7VKtq4HLmUiTyYM139KJQ9T1WGrNpQDybrOy_QLGf0jt3OIphoDxVqmdrFlz4Nmr1bMp004Yv4Bs-eSTrd6Ufz6bm75gQHLxuUcJL3sKtLobqLANObcTdBIMC8TjOuR2fYiY03K9L5zTTncgNFXXvS3qARfkKonczAnHVr7Y1zmv_axEjsLiTkGXFml-fNsqCFvOGgEM1Sfr4SoQSxL0Fvp4Y9XmIvFlZTAOHZet9vtxXcVJOrfa8fp7-NdIS-yk8DCK15Fb-NfJlKvV3Uj0ozMPVcHRgomIsYaY3-_Sl5uO8jiQERBQ_YPBpjuHr9wyCiHFB-i-tAoOjqThNRbMGJ4tt1Rrwe6qneMkhw0z7n4nan7kHMKUwK5xVq3stk1NTt_NhyzmqGJ4W2PeBIEvxQEtNlMrGWdCDOPas8Yq84lBV6q8A_Nh3sfmiYkfaGd86EEa5UFZA7NmoxJs5iieInIaanZjxlXsD_UeRpO3nJ3aBVjYP3bS6s5HW5Fi92SiE7AXrHDqVD5gA-Q=w1258-h943-no

Sometimes you are the view. :D

KNecO8zt4x0j8xZbRnGqHoNqTk06YdCpWv029GOk9MCHlIL2z0WjRp_YbG7JQqYnkSDu_fPvB-SHIumQpNZRftAt8LvBopL7BSFVp_ST95m536nF1sC1oe4qVXhJEGhHDgaaKrKCbb0_AqsB64eiRdOqYDxWkkzAv_yDAluhkd_Hn32d5PeeBs3Jyah5K8Jlc8Xxflp74Fi-97Oe_aIdyt0ItX4DaTBVVDY9UKeu-oKfQAcehYYz1n2qEdeFIvzQF8fF3IwHYm3WEcAdZee0k4-dZ438zXrtrSYcaB8zyruWF4D3s0RP51mYq8OeT6zdgCdSRPzHVFSqFVuRPnJffR-aKutyPmCcOBVWuG2dJuFJ_ERBLXVZGItfLRR16BmT3cmfShuA_nAO-o9FMGZjZKuhUGxgHlqk9xsdjV0Dc1xl2zoaTgBDQDVSwEHfmpAMAAy1WQm9Q2cVOevgsYchueGjSGVlSofqH8X2fhuABlajyWqnvofN2HlZate2OD_XjPcAR8lfCIWnjOW4YYeQfN8-Hg2WdI5RnPn1JCvfEOM94NKGVWHvm_WqOzMgfb_Oh21sXzRAql5_OKhRjaiR0zhPTFFhKqhnfR7msmtSAvjlE3zTACioo3CD0OaE7mf9gTyZKTdplxV9BYl5Cb6D1Pc4jA=w1258-h943-no

Headed south from there, and looked up how to get Royal Canal way and decided to go to Enfeild via Dunsany, Batterjohn (lol, have to look up the etymology, must be interesting), Summerhill, Baconstown etc - lovely roads most of the way.

Grabbed some lunch at Supervalue there and got on the Royal Canal way heading towards Dublin. First couple of kilometers were pristine brand new tarmac and I was thinking this is amazing... when cyclist coming the other way waved me down and said it's blocked further up (Thanks Richard). But being the stubborn person that I am I kept thinking "but someone on boards said they have done the whole way". I went ahead and slipped past the barricades that clearly said "Entry strictly prohibited" and of course there was 2 inch size boulders where the path is getting built.

EQMass6Vxf9mM0kSsl-orZEZbearhE5hfejdQY1nYG7iEBee-Z1UaCrTWjBbD0Idk7xn6MV9OH_vZjGcfHQSDbDW2MFDc78rOqV_UGkf1XqDxM3KooDwoymHwz7ltxQUPlOVlebrrYZTAGVh_IKbjqLBASNPdLGeOyhz-T-UCxi3g9AZdpvKsqgb0J03yjoPgTiank0qV46vruaNPKLijMrzqdVm6bpZ_LFRfEo_A0hkC_VqJ-4eyBcSFIJ-unKFIc9YMS65kuahxVX6L1K_ZjaeOSed2rTVpELrtIRNRqM2PbF2ijDNFsKDW9SQdPV-YU1AKaAfy1qyxXC334y0_G41TSIPvuTtNzylmDpiabTRO0wohL1x6-o-zQcRroogTvFk6ZYk5hDit4MsW7ODDZbisBC8_862cBF1W0mOqG6FPatwTo47Kwb7dXKMmgRUiHxSXeJEaNVTN6Lj2Gh_iHj3iCCLh8n9ZDQLdaXdTb3_pO6Q__hGbQMUIvaEwbroxF-fyDAjFHdrhrJ-upCa6Xlh_e1gNuRoy-iIwqVMP093rMmcFpbpeBHQrO91er_nGv5w51seYwSQ4ArRJPLhXUbg84DzSmRG2cSyqc4RVATDbcP-2mUFVlI8gXQBWErAqhmZtH-k2Wg5RzECwvJwQuebpg=w1258-h943-no

At this stage I had to take an important phone call so I walked for about 2-3kms while on phone, and then struggled to ride on it for 3-4k, it might be doable with MTBs but definitely not advisable on road bikes, but no one is supposed to be on it anyway. Work is in progress, and it will be beautiful when finished - it goes thru some nice wooded areas etc. At the far end of the roadworks it was blocked up proper like fort knox. Had to jump over the lowest section pulling the bike over the fence etc. A few k down further I see Richard, who like a sane person, followed the warnings and instructions, took the road and got there much quicker than me - although he said the road was very narrow and had a few close passes. Rest of the Royal Canal was a mix of nice paved surface to loose grit to just grass where you have to try and stick to a 6 inch wide track... It was beautiful - Kilkock & Maynooth looked fantastic, but there were also stretches were it was a bit featureless and boring.

As I got to Coolmine, after riding a section of "deep sinking", narrow tracks and exposed tree roots where going was a bit tough (for me), and also because the path ahead from Coolmine said no bikes, I went back on the road and headed to Blanchardstown. After spending couple of hours on the canal paths, paved road felt like a synthetic track and I made good progress all the way to Portmarnock, where I got some tart & tea and a lift home. Blanch-Portmarnock, even the twisty backroads that's usually busy were all eerily quiet yesterday. All sane people were clearly tipsy enjoying bbqs - you could actually smell bbq in the air all afternoon.

All in all thoroughly enjoyable 120k at a glacial 21kphm average. https://www.strava.com/activities/2308052985

Amazing weather, and what better way to enjoy this amazing part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Working on my hills this morning, various loops of killiney hill, 30km with 787m climbing

Getting slightly better.

https://strava.app.link/5wnISK4L5V

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Out at 8.30am for 2 hrs recovery spin after racing yesterday.

An utterly fantastic day with an East wind to take me home.

60km at. 30.8 avg.

ED E wrote: »
    Protect the app from battery saving or it may sleep the GPS when the phone is locked.

Thanks ED E, I went into the app settings and the battery saver function was switched on so hopefully it being knocked off will solve the problem. Appreciate the tip, I never knew the apps have settings within that effect the battery/GPS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭saccades

33km with 1100m climbing over crone, knockree and djouce.

Took two pints of tea and a quick 60 winks to recover from the sweat.

Risked dry lube and got away with it too!

Headed to Gorey for club spin, Ferns, Enniscorthy, across to Oulart, long drag into a stiff headwind, across to Blackwater, Kilmuckridge and home. 81 km avg 28.8 kph

Anyone else notice lots of road kill out there today? Way more than normal and included lots of very small birds which I don't ever recall seeing dead on the tarmac before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

saccades wrote: »

Risked dry lube and got away with it too!

It's always worth using dry lube this time of year but add one of the small plastic containers used for soy sauce to your kit. Fill with wet lube and you then you can never be caught out with that awful dry chain rub.

Anyone else notice lots of road kill out there today? Way more than normal and included lots of very small birds which I don't ever recall seeing dead on the tarmac before.

I saw 2 pheasants miles apart, and a fox,

tuxy wrote: »
    It's always worth using dry lube this time of year but add one of the small plastic containers used for soy sauce to your kit. Fill with wet lube and you then you can never be caught out with that awful dry chain rub.
    I always carry a very small container of wet lube. Made that mistake with dry lube washing out on the WW200 a few years ago. Hour upon hour of horrible no lube grating.

secman wrote: »
    I saw 2 pheasants miles apart, and a fox,
    Plenty of peasants but no pheasants!

Several badgers, foxes, a lamb, a dog, couple of cats, loads of hedgehogs and countless small birds.

F'n pheasants. Near miss with one in the car earlier and had one scare the bejaysus out of me on the bike recently.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,543 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

saccades wrote: »
    33km with 1100m climbing over crone, knockree and djouce.
    That's impressive going. I'm happy if I manage 10m climbing per kilometre, but that's over three times the climbing I usually get.

Also spotted a lot of roadkill recently - a Robin, a Blackbird and a crow on the last two spins, and a couple of hedgehogs and at least one fox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Plenty of peasants but no pheasants!

Several badgers, foxes, a lamb, a dog, couple of cats, loads of hedgehogs and countless small birds.

I went over an already dead squirrel in Rush on Saturday evening :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement