Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular places to go on holidays

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Sarajevo or Minsk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Syria

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

There are few counties in Ireland that are genuinely grim and Leitrim is a long way from the bottom.

Slagging is probably due to is size and lack of “importance”

Leitrim is well mid table- there’s plenty others in the midlands and north east with a lot less to offer. Leitrim even has a bit of Atlantic coastline!! You could easily spend a lovely few days in Leitrim and surrounds pottering about and really enjoy it. That’s not to mention the genuinely friendly people- I find service in shops, restaurants etc second to none up there.
    Unlike the surly attitude you’ll get in Dublin and Leinster area

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭buried

Yeah Leitrim is class, that whole area around Leitrim, Fermanagh, Sligo and Roscommon is really cool. Go to all that part of the island in a summer with good weather, its really cool natural wild spot

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Yemen.

• Advertisement

I think a certain turkey from Tallaght on RTÉ 30 years ago bears much of the responsibility for Leitrim being picked on. It's a lovely part of the world, especially around Lough Rynn castle but also up in Parkes Castle on the way to Glencar Waterfall. Great guided history tour.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Leitrim is a county of two halves - split in the middle by Lough Allen. Populated by arty/crafty bohemian types.

The Northern half is very scenic and beautiful with gems like Glencar Lough and waterfall and the Dartry and Cuilcagh mountains.

The Southern half is much more boring landscape wise (low lying and drumlins) but has the lovely river Shannon to offer.

My idea of holiday hell would be somewhere like Benidorm or Blackpool.

I think a certain turkey from Tallaght on RT30 years ago bears much of the responsibility for Leitrim being picked on. It's a lovely part of the world, especially around Lough Rynn castle but also up in Parkes Castle on the way to Glencar Waterfall. Great guided history tour.

When I was a chap Dustin on The Den used constantly slag it. It’s only when I started going there myself I realized that it was total bull****. Carrick has to be one of my favorite towns in Ireland- and saying that theres a ton more they should be doing with the river Shannon there. Mohill and Lough Rynne is another highlight for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Nuuk

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

The sea of tranquility

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Laos

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

road_high wrote: »
    Co Leitrim is a gem- I’ve no idea why it gets mentioned on these slagging places threads

Because of it's pathetic coastline! Smallest of all counties

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

A few years ago I went over to England to see my cousin's in (insert sh1tehole medium English Northern town here)...rang for a pizza delivery using my Irish phone and the foreign guy on the other end was curious to know why an international number was ringing for delivery. I explained that I was having a little holiday to see my cousin's and he couldn't get over the word 'holiday''

Why would anyone in their right mind go there for a holiday? We had a great laugh on the phone for about 5 mins with him absolutely wetting himself before him ending the call with "enjoy the rest of your 'holiday''. It was one of those had to be there moments...so funny😂

Because of it's pathetic coastline! Smallest of all counties

Lots of other counties don’t even have a coastline?

ShadyAcres wrote: »
    A few years ago I went over to England to see my cousin's in (insert sh1tehole medium English Northern town here)...rang for a pizza delivery using my Irish phone and the foreign guy on the other end was curious to know why an international number was ringing for delivery. I explained that I was having a little holiday to see my cousin's and he couldn't get over the word 'holiday''

Why would anyone in their right mind go there for a holiday? We had a great laugh on the phone for about 5 mins with him absolutely wetting himself before him ending the call with "enjoy the rest of your 'holiday''. It was one of those had to be there moments...so funny��

Yes there’s lots of places in england ive been to for work and there’s literally zero tourism, none whatsoever. The town/area is purely business or industrial and that’s that

Holiday in Cambodia ?

Cambodia is getting massively popular- when I was in Vietnam loads of people were combining that as part of their trip, one of the real up and coming places

• Site Banned Posts: 11 rays cyst

We’re only making plans for Niger

Yeah right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Yes there’s lots of places in england ive been to for work and there’s literally zero tourism, none whatsoever. The town/area is purely business or industrial and that’s that

It wouldn't be just England that has these types of places. Plenty across Northern Europe I think Charleroi in Belgium was voted Europe's grimmest city or something along those lines but plenty across of places that wouldn't attract very many tourists in Germany, Sweden, Netherlands and Belgium. A lot of these places would have big crime problems and large amounts of social housing consisting of high rise flats.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Sokovia

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Iraq

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

ShadyAcres wrote: »

Why would anyone in their right mind go there for a holiday? We had a great laugh on the phone for about 5 mins with him absolutely wetting himself before him ending the call with "enjoy the rest of your 'holiday''. It was one of those had to be there moments...so funny��

Indeed it was

Sarajevo or Minsk.

Sarajevo is a great place!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,503 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The Spratly Islands.

Rathkeale

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

A few places that stood out for me on my football travels were Parnu in Estonia, Trondheim in Norway and Hasselt in Belgium.

Parnu is on the coast and is known as the 'Summer Capital' of Estonia as apparently half the counry migrate to there in the summer. Nice beaches with plenty of facilities, albeit the water is freezing, and a nice little town for a few 'quiet' pints. I could easily see myself spending a weeks holidays there.

Hasselt is in Eastern Belgium, quite close to the Dutch border and Maastricht and is a lovely little town for a short visit. Great laid back European vibe and a nice historical town as well. Two or three days would be enough there unless you were exploring the region in which case it makes a great base.

Trondheim is a nice Norwegian town. Home of Rosenberg it's a place that's well worth a visit. I loved it but it's a case of been there, done that and while I'd go back there for football I'm not sure that there's enough there to attract me back for a holiday.

My lifes ambition is to get to Montserrat - the only other place in the world that has Paddys Day as it's National Holiday, except that they make a week of it. Supposed to be maaaaad. Love to go there, and have every intention of doing so. I've been to the Carribean twice but never to Montserrat. You have to go via Antigua (from Amsterdam seems to be the way to go) and then get a small plane or ferry over there. Definitely the number one on my list !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Genk in Belgium is like that. There is absolutely nothing there. A fine football stadium and training grounds and nothing else. Work /home/work/home. Even the town centre just looks purely functional.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Co Leitrim is a gem- I’ve no idea why it gets mentioned on these slagging places threads- there’s tons of things to see and do with some great hotels to stay in. Carrick on Shannon, Glencar waterfall, Lough Allen, great foodie scene. I absolutely love Leitrim. Can only conclude that people have never been there that slag it off
    Puts a whole list of counties to shame with all it has to offer

It's all good natured slagging, we all know that the true arsehole of Ireland is REDACTED.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Lots of other counties don’t even have a coastline?
    And there's one particular county that's double-landlocked, not bordering any counties that have a coastline...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

poisonated wrote: »
    Moldova.

Nothing off the wall about moldova, I've been a couple of times, nothing out of the ordinary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Abkhazia, highly recommended it.

Advertisement