Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular places to go on holidays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I know I'll get slated for this but Berlin is the most depressing place I have ever visited.

Madness! Full of historic sights, world class museums and galleries to visit, great cafes, bars and clubs, wonderful public transport to get around, not over crowded or a tourist rip off, beautiful parks... Berlin is not as pristine or wealthy as other German cities but it makes up for it in character and it's anarchic, creative spirit.
    Coolest city in Europe IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Kosovo seems to be on the rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Blud wrote: »
    Kashmir is beautiful, really beautiful.

Went there years ago and stayed in Leh, its absolutely stunning. A lot of tourists are put off by the long running conflict which is fair enough. But even then, the trouble is over on the western side of what is a pretty huge region. Would have been the equivalent of avoiding Kerry back in the day because of the troubles in the North

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭BK92

Das Reich wrote: »
    The most umpopular (I refuse to type the N in front of the B or the P) country is Brazil, very few tourists for its size and things to see and half of them being Argentinians. Some of the best spots like Fernando de Noronha island and Lençóis Maranhenses are known only to Brazilians.

I've lived in Brazil and toured around a bit, particularly to the Minas Gerais, Amazonas and Bahia/Ceará states. By all means knock yourself out for a week during the carnival in Rio but for me the interest lies in what's outside Brazilian cities, places like Jericoacoara, Fernando de Noronha, and the Pantanal and river trips along the Amazon for the more adventurous out there. Good food can be had in local restaurants, but for the budget conscious traveller there's little value to be had there due to high taxes and plenty of bureaucracy - how many of you were ever asked to give a photocopy of your passport and your parents' names to buy a 'I love (city's name)' t-shirt costing €8 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Are you just looking to take a load of protein goodness in the snatch? If so, then just go to one of the main Spanish resorts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

I remember working with this guy who would bring his suitcase into work and would be off on his holidays after work that day. The destination was Rush and they had some mobile home there. The wife and the kids would be already there for the past week and he would follow via Dublin Bus from town, for the second week as he didn't drive either.

This was about 13 or 14 years ago, not a million years ago and the guy wasn't short of a few bob. No fair enough he might have had a lovely time but it always seemed to rain when he went and it just reminded me of the Father Ted episode when they were stuck in the caravan for the duration of the holiday. It just wouldn't be for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Greentopia wrote: »
    Madness! Full of historic sights, world class museums and galleries to visit, great cafes, bars and clubs, wonderful public transport to get around, not over crowded or a tourist rip off, beautiful parks... Berlin is not as pristine or wealthy as other German cities but it makes up for it in character and it's anarchic, creative spirit.

I personally find the place a bit dull and drab. There are lot's of interesting museums there but I don't like the vibe of the place it feels like seems like any aesthetically pleasing looking building there was bombed during the war and replaced with mostly ugly looking communist architecture in the East.

While cheap it was relatively cheap I found that the standard of hospitality particularly shops, restaurants and hotels was somewhat lacking. The food was fairly poor and the hotel I stayed in was crap I was there in October and the hotels heating wasn't working and the weather wasn't good as it was cool, grey and miserable. None of the locals seemed friendly no one cracked a smile and people working in places lacked any sort of basic customer service skills no smiles and not even a simple danke.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

yagan wrote: »

Myanmar was a real headreck though. Beautiful and friendly but so sad too. I'd call it a challenging destination, lots to see that will you'll be thinking about for the rest of your life.

Would be interested in more info re Myanmar. 'Headwreck', in what way?

We've traveled SE Asia for the past 8 odd years, this year Myanmar will be our new country (We only have 2 weeks which is a balls, so trying to get an itinerary together)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Colombia is a fantastic place to visit, but a lot of people are instantly put off by its bad reputation.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Would be interested in more info re Myanmar. 'Headwreck', in what way?

We've traveled SE Asia for the past 8 odd years, this year Myanmar will be our new country (We only have 2 weeks which is a balls, so trying to get an itinerary together)

I live in Myanmar, and have done so for the past five years - what do you need to know? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Utah for some hiking and sight seeing and skiing.
    Brno is Czech Republic.cheap as ****

Some of the small Czech cities look beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ipso wrote: »
    Some of the small Czech cities look beautiful.

Found a lot of servers in shops and bars there to be as surly as fcuk. A customer wanting service ruined their day. Worse in Hungary, they'd nearly throw the receipt and change at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Greentopia wrote: »

Watch out for the scamming girls with clipboards asking if you can speak English and "help" deaf children. They're so obvious around tourist attractions I don't know why the police don't run them off.

The public transport in Berlin, and most of Europe, makes ours look pretty pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

I remember working with this guy who would bring his suitcase into work and would be off on his holidays after work that day. The destination was Rush and they had some mobile home there. The wife and the kids would be already there for the past week and he would follow via Dublin Bus from town, for the second week as he didn't drive either.

This was about 13 or 14 years ago, not a million years ago and the guy wasn't short of a few bob. No fair enough he might have had a lovely time but it always seemed to rain when he went and it just reminded me of the Father Ted episode when they were stuck in the caravan for the duration of the holiday. It just wouldn't be for me.

That does sound a bit bleak but also a bit funny at the same time. Getting the poxy public bus to a campsite just outside the city limits..
    I really like tony

Found a lot of servers in shops and bars there to be as surly as fcuk. A customer wanting service ruined their day. Worse in Hungary, they'd nearly throw the receipt and change at you.

Hungary was very friendly when I was there in 1995, must have changed over the years as places can do.

County Fermanagh is quite an underrated place on this island. There’s tons to see: Castle Ward, Florence Court, Sheelin Lace Museum, Devenish Island boat trip, White Island boat trip, overnights on Lusty Beg Island, Boa Island ancient Janus Head, Marble Arch Caves, Castle Archdale and other lakeside forest parks, lots of restaurants, hotels, harbours on the lakes, warm lake swimming in summer, “cliff” walks overlooking the lake; easy access to Belleek and Louth Derg in Donegal, and many other places. Also air trips from St Angelo airport/floatplane port.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

County Fermanagh is quite an underrated place on this island. There’s tons to see: Castle Ward, Florence Court, Sheelin Lace Museum, Devenish Island boat trip, White Island boat trip, overnights on Lusty Beg Island, Boa Island ancient Janus Head, Marble Arch Caves, Castle Archdale and other lakeside forest parks, lots of restaurants, hotels, harbours on the lakes, warm lake swimming in summer, “cliff” walks overlooking the lake; easy access to Belleek and Louth Derg in Donegal, and many other places. Also air trips from St Angelo airport/floatplane port.

Like its neighbour Leitrim there's a ton of great stuff to see and do. That whole circle as another poster says is fantastic encompassing Fermanagh, Leitrim, Sligo and north Roscommon. Also Donegal, Mayo and Galway are close enough too. Just way behind the big names like Kerry in terms of marketing i guess, catching up on facilities.

mike_ie wrote: »
    I live in Myanmar, and have done so for the past five years - what do you need to know? :)

Class, didn't think i'd find a Boardsie living in Myanmar! TBH, we're going to be following a pretty standard backpacker route as we don't have time to deviate, but for sure i'll be annoying you with questions :D (We're there in Dec)

Was just curious as to the other post when someone called Myanmar a 'Headwreck' ... what exactly was meant by that?!

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Class, didn't think i'd find a Boardsie living in Myanmar! TBH, we're going to be following a pretty standard backpacker route as we don't have time to deviate, but for sure i'll be annoying you with questions :D (We're there in Dec)

Was just curious as to the other post when someone called Myanmar a 'Headwreck' ... what exactly was meant by that?!

I think that 'headwreck' is a matter of perspective - me, I've lived most of my life overseas and embrace the chaos that is Myanmar, but I can understand how frustrating it could be if you're visiting for a couple of weeks. I'm also interested in yagan's experiences here.

The last boardsie I ran into out here shall remain unnamed, but needless to say, was a solid guy who I shared far too many pints with (and still owe him quite a few). If there's anything I can do to help from my end, drop me a PM. I've found quite often that the "suggested itineraries" spend too much time in Yangon, and not enough in other areas of the country, such as Inle up in Shan state, Bagan, or areas of the coastline such as Nyaung Shwe.

I couldn’t understand the term “headwreck” in particular relation to Myanmar; I would apply that term more to my experience of India in general or the roads of Nepal, which are bone-wrecking! My experience of Myanmar was more serene, maybe because of the Sedona and other lovely hotels we would retreat to, maybe it was because the group I travelled with were mostly very positive types, maybe it was the sunshine throughout, but it was one of the most joyous trips I’ve ever been on.

• Advertisement

Yamanoto wrote: »
    I went back to Kuala Lumpur 10 years after first visiting and the welcome was nowhere near as warm. Been to Budapest with work on three occasions & was fascinated by just how surly and scowly shopkeepers seemed to be.

I think in 1995 they had not longed escaped communism and everywhere I went I got chatting to people who wanted to practice their English. When I was terrified during an almighty thunderstorm in Budapest and retreating from a mini tornado and lightning into a pub, s local placed their little silver toy poodle (dressed in a red raincoat and booties!) on my lap to comfort me. I think the fact I am an animal lover, and naturally smile at people with animals, went down well in an animal loving city. Went there again in1996 on a European tour and pretty much all on our group agreed that it was a particularly friendly place, so much so that when we moved on to Vienna a bit of a Cork character on the tour said to a bank official there “a smile would cost you nothing, boy, why can’t ye Austrians be more like the Hungarians?”. The bank official could not help laughing at her.

mike_ie wrote: »
    I think that 'headwreck' is a matter of perspective - me, I've lived most of my life overseas and embrace the chaos that is Myanmar, but I can understand how frustrating it could be if you're visiting for a couple of weeks. I'm also interested in yagan's experiences here.

The last boardsie I ran into out here shall remain unnamed, but needless to say, was a solid guy who I shared far too many pints with (and still owe him quite a few). If there's anything I can do to help from my end, drop me a PM. I've found quite often that the "suggested itineraries" spend too much time in Yangon, and not enough in other areas of the country, such as Inle up in Shan state, Bagan, or areas of the coastline such as Nyaung Shwe.

Many thanks. I'll send you a PM as to not de-rail the thread.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Kosovo seems to be on the rise.

While I wouldn't recommend it for a week long holiday, it is worth a visit for a few days, maybe as part of a road trip.
    The west of the country is lovely, prizren & peja in particular are lovely towns. The mountains are nice, mirusha waterfalls are fab.
    You can ski in the south & south West or the country.
    The capital Pristina is not particularly nice, but has some nice restaurants & bars. Everything is dirt cheap, unbelievably cheap.
    So a few days there, if you are an off the beaten track person, is well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,034 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I have visited Yangon not Myanmar, so I cant proclaim to be an expert on the country, but i loved the city, it has a wonderful sense of old, it is calm and peaceful.

As for the rest of the country, unfortunately i didn't have the chance to visit.

I do however need to go back to Yangon as there is an awesome boardsie that owes me some beers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The bog

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

This is a good one for AH.

If the destination has TripAdvisor reviews other than rievies form locals its not an unpopular place to holiday.

Anyone been on holiday anywhere that does not have TripAdvisor reviews from visitors.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Anyone been on holiday anyweren that does not have TripAdvisor reviews from visitors.

Yeah, two months on a motorbike around the Vietnamese countryside, and a good few three to seven-day trips since then. Just stop in whatever place has a hotel before it gets dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Yeah, two months on a motorbike around the Vietnamese countryside, and a good few three to seven-day trips since then. Just stop in whatever place has a hotel before it gets dark.

Not exactlry the same thing you could cycle around rural Laois past lanes and backroad places only the locals ever use nver see a TripAdvisor review of the area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Ballymena!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,570 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Swaziland. Don't ask me how you would get there no idea except catch a plane or 3.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement