Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular places to go on holidays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

road_high wrote: »
    Co Leitrim is a gem- I’ve no idea why it gets mentioned on these slagging places threads- there’s tons of things to see and do with some great hotels to stay in. Carrick on Shannon, Glencar waterfall, Lough Allen, great foodie scene. I absolutely love Leitrim. Can only conclude that people have never been there that slag it off
    Puts a whole list of counties to shame with all it has to offer

Yes Leitrim is pretty great for a small place Ballinamore summer festival is a crazy 2 week long celebration that puts many much bigger festivals to shame.
    Strumms wrote: »
    Luxembourg, the pure bordom I experienced there is second to none

I don't think anyone visits Luxembourg in search of madcap in your face excitement. Luxembourg is a small sleepy place with gorgeous countryside and picture postcard views and a small capital that is definitely worth a short stay.

I remember we found a Mexican restaurant complete with a guy playing guitar from table to table.
    I'm planning to visit Jordan later this year. Might do Lebanon at some point. I'd love to visit Israel as well.

Iran is doable but be aware that you would lose your right to an ESTA should you desire to go to the US. You'd have to apply for a travel visa which might be difficult.

Interesting. Didn't know that re: Iran esta.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Surprised nobody has said North Korea yet.

There's a good book by Dom Joly called The Dark Tourist where he goes on holiday to places that most people would never dream of like North Korea and Iran. For some reason he wasn't brave enough to venture to Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭sitkaspruce

Mogadishu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Chad - despite the name, I couldn't find any American fraternity boys wearing Ralph Lauren polo shirts or deck shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Chad - despite the name, I couldn't find any American fraternity boys wearing Ralph Lauren polo shirts or deck shoes.

It sounds a bit like Italy I was expecting to find loads of chippers there but not a chip in sight only bleedin pasta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 UpintheAir1

Tipperary

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭quodec

Bouvet island. A bit out of the way but nice and peaceful!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

My dad had to travel to the autonomous region of Kurdistan in Iraq for work very recently and he said he was blown away by how beautiful it was and how welcoming and friendly people were.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Transnistria

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭bolgbui41

Holidaying in Israel would make you unpopular with some people, given the strong support for the BDS movement here. I'd love to go to Israel someday but there's always the niggling doubt in my mind about the ethics of it.....then again, people go for holidays to Dubai, China, Russia and countless other places with unethical governments and gross human rights abuses, so I guess you wouldn't end up holidaying anywhere if you were too consistently "ethical"! Jordan and Lebanon are both on my to-do list, just need to make sure I visit the latter before (if) I ever do decide to go Israel!

I've heard Iran is a great country for tourists, that a lot of the people there are more pro-Western than their government would suggest. That's just from reading blog posts and such online.

I'm only just back from Lebanon - I wasn't mad on Beirut, but the more rural areas are lovely. Food was great everywhere, and the people were lovely. Jordon, too, is fascinating. I'm heading to Iran in September to visit a friend, so hoping it'll live up to my (high!) expectations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The moon, there's just no atmosphere there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The Isle of Lucy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭4Ad

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Laos
    Beer Lao is nice...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭4Ad

Middlesbrough.

Never go to middlesbrough.EVER.

I heard its terrible it's even worse than Derby and that is some kip..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Gravesend

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JimPickens

Ballyhaunis

• Registered Users Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Stinking Springs

Rockfall Cliffs

Avalanche Peak

Charging Bison State Park

Earthquake Valley

Blistering Flats

Floodplain Campground

etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I know I'll get slated for this but Berlin is the most depressing place I have ever visited.
    The only thing that's depressing about Berlin is that it puts into perspective what a nanny state Ireland is.

Buying alcohol at 5 in the morning.
    Lighting up a cigarette and not feeling like a leper for doing so.
    Nightclubs that stay open until the following morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Cienciano wrote: »
    There was a thread on reddit about the worst place on Google Street View. Lunik IX near Kosice in Slovakia wouldn't be high on my list of places to go.

Hrebendova
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/JPo2ofJTxn4nn99m7

I can confirm that, i was there with a local charity 10 years ago, a mix of scary / depressing. Seeing children playing in mountains of rubbish, raising themselves feom the age of 2... Awful.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Did you know ?

More people drown in deserts than die of thirst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Transnistria

Would love to have a nose around there. A pal of mine went and said it was a total time-warp. He placed it somewhere in the 1970s.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

Hear hear. Angkor is a prime site and the food is lovely.

Laos worth a visit too.

Laos is a wonderful country with lovely people and a great culture. I've been a number of times and I'm always uplifted by the gentle nature of the place considering its past. Cambodia too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

4Ad wrote: »
    I heard its terrible it's even worse than Derby and that is some kip..

Derby: High-street hell. Absolutely miserable in the winter. The most middle of all middle-England.Had the misfortune of being sent there for work a decade or so back. I felt like commiting petty crime so I could get an ASBO and have an excuse to leave.

The sorrounding countryside and villages redeem the place somewhat though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

And there's one particular county that's double-landlocked, not bordering any counties that have a coastline...

Laois. What do I win?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Looking for genuine off the wall holiday ideas. Would Yemen be nice this time of year?

Plenty of fantastic countries and cities that are not commonly on people's itineries without going to an active conflict zone, depends what you're looking for op.

If you're heading west check out Montevideo or maybe Havana. East, check out Ulaanbaatar or China (not Hong Kong or Macau if you're looking for somewhere less travelled to). Closer to home try the Balkans (non coastal nations like Bosnia, Serbia or Macedonia) or Belarus where visa regulations were relaxed a few years ago to encourage tourism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Ukraine's good craic. Chernobyl is well worth a visit. Ryanair fly there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Looking for genuine off the wall holiday ideas. Would Yemen be nice this time of year?

albania looks interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Cienciano wrote: »
    There was a thread on reddit about the worst place on Google Street View. Lunik IX near Kosice in Slovakia wouldn't be high on my list of places to go.

Hrebendova
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/JPo2ofJTxn4nn99m7
    Mk1 Ford Sierra

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Plenty of fantastic countries and cities that are not commonly on people's itineries without going to an active conflict zone, depends what you're looking for op.

If you're heading west check out Montevideo or maybe Havana. East, check out Ulaanbaatar or China (not Hong Kong or Macau if you're looking for somewhere less travelled to). Closer to home try the Balkans (non coastal nations like Bosnia, Serbia or Macedonia) or Belarus where visa regulations were relaxed a few years ago to encourage tourism

Curious as to why you’d recommend Ulaanbaatar? I didn’t find much of interest there and it’s quite dangerous by Asian standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Don't knock it. I'd a great time there. I remember spending all day in one bar. I'd breakfast with a friend and we spent the whole day drinking. Tab came to £25 each. Local Chisinau brew of the same name was superb as well.

It's effectively Romania only much less affluent

Advertisement