Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular places to go on holidays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

road_high wrote: »
    Leitrim is well mid table- there’s plenty others in the midlands and north east with a lot less to offer. Leitrim even has a bit of Atlantic coastline!! You could easily spend a lovely few days in Leitrim and surrounds pottering about and really enjoy it. That’s not to mention the genuinely friendly people- I find service in shops, restaurants etc second to none up there.
    Unlike the surly attitude you’ll get in Dublin and Leinster area

Leitrim is lovely for a short break, Carrick on Shannon is a cracking town for its size

Because of it's pathetic coastline! Smallest of all counties

You mean other than those many counties with no coastline at all?

Tipperary

My least favourite county

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Yurt! wrote: »
    Would love to have a nose around there. A pal of mine went and said it was a total time-warp. He placed it somewhere in the 1970s.

It a fascinating place and like a mini North Korea in some aspects, and is possibly more Soviet than Russia. Great place to visit out of interest but not much generally going on. The people are friendly and curious as they don't get many tourists. Most tourists visiting Moldova are scared to visit Transnistria.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    My least favourite county

Tipperary is great.

Just back from a walk at The Vee - lovely spots for canoeing, walking, cycling, lovely place.

Kildare is much worse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Southend on Sea -

It's difficult to find a more soul destroying seaside town.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Southend on Sea -

Really? I'd my eye on there for a short day out.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Really? I'd my eye on there for a short day out.

Maybe it was just me.

I hated it, the pier itself is a nice walk but that's where it ends.

It's very poor, very run down, pie shops, chippers and cheap amusements.

Very tacky, pubs very rough, numerous fights, men & women, drug dealing is very public, very chavtastic and I've probably never seen as much public oral sex before or since.

It was years ago and might have improved since but I wouldn't go back if you paid me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Maybe it was just me.

I hated it, the pier itself is a nice walk but that's where it ends.

It's very poor, very run down, pie shops, chippers and cheap amusements.

Very tacky, pubs very rough, numerous fights, men & women, drug dealing is very public, very chavtastic and I've probably never seen as much public oral sex before or since.

It was years ago and might have improved since but I wouldn't go back if you paid me.

The oral sex could be a dealbreaker!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

The most umpopular (I refuse to type the N in front of the B or the P) country is Brazil, very few tourists for its size and things to see and half of them being Argentinians. Some of the best spots like Fernando de Noronha island and Lençóis Maranhenses are known only to Brazilians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Southend on Sea -

Oooh yes. Had a flight stopover there. I thought I would explore the town for a bit whilst I was waiting. Miserable place. Like one of those grim northern towns but it had a beach.

Blackpool in England is very very grim. A lot of British seaside towns have been badly neglected over the years and are now horribly run down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Tipperary is great.

Just back from a walk at The Vee - lovely spots for canoeing, walking, cycling, lovely place.

Kildare is much worse

Jesus Tipperary versus Kildare, its like two bald lads fighting over a comb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Holyhead has to get a mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

I'm planning to visit Jordan later this year. Might do Lebanon at some point. I'd love to visit Israel as well.

Iran is doable but be aware that you would lose your right to an ESTA should you desire to go to the US. You'd have to apply for a travel visa which might be difficult.
    It is no longer a problem as Iran does not stamp passports any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭johnire

No more so than Ireland.
    kowloon wrote: »
    All I remember is how expensive it is for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

My lifes ambition is to get to Montserrat - the only other place in the world that has Paddys Day as it's National Holiday, except that they make a week of it. Supposed to be maaaaad. Love to go there, and have every intention of doing so. I've been to the Carribean twice but never to Montserrat. You have to go via Antigua (from Amsterdam seems to be the way to go) and then get a small plane or ferry over there. Definitely the number one on my list !!

Worked with a guy from Montserrat one, when he heard my surname his actual words where

"Your name is _____ ?!? That is a pimps name in my country!!!"

Think I might visit one day,just to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,808 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

This, a fûcking weird place, I know all too well having had to spend a good number of hours there due to a missed ferry and crazy crap weather.. grim place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

poisonated wrote: »
    Moldova.

I'll see your Moldova and raise you Transnistria.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Manchester, its got fablous museums and art gallerys if your the drinking type its got cheap drink https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sinclairs-Oyster-Bar/157098364316266 a bit rough or the slug and lettuce do good deals for someting a bit better https://www.slugandlettuce.co.uk/
    if your not in to drinking lots of public transport to hiking in the peak district lots to do and see.

Cheap flights from Dublin.

• Advertisement

I'll see your Moldova and raise you Transnistria.

Already been done ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Already been done ;)

I don't care, it's the winner.

poisonated wrote: »
    Moldova.

Direct flights. Inexpensive hotels. Nice wine.

Oooh yes. Had a flight stopover there. I thought I would explore the town for a bit whilst I was waiting. Miserable place. Like one of those grim northern towns but it had a beach.

There’s parts of it nice, eg Leigh on Sea, an old fishing town.

Not too far away are some worthwhile places on the Isle of Anglesea, like Plas Newydd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Grimsby

I’ve been to Albania & Serbia (you should see the enormous house you get for 80K), where good organic food takes pride of place.

In 80s I went to Faroe Islands where hotel standards were minimal, and I believe the decor exact same from the websites! In 2020 I went to beautiful Greenland, where I enjoyed fabulous sunshine. Ditto in Svalbard.

Antarctica was the most gobsmacking place I’ve ever seen. I swam there on 2C water. The air is absolutely crystal clear, but the stench of dead animals (nature, no disaster) and penguin dung on the shores is revolting!

Am doing the Scottish Islands bit by bit over the years. Have a great fondness for Orkney and it’s megalithic sited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

****ing in Austria

... and the following list : https://www.quora.com/What-cities-are-the-name-of-a-bad-word

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭yagan

As others have said Cambodia was actually great. I think spent nearly two weeks in Siem Riep just exploring the temples of Angkor.

Phnom Penh was seedy, stayed a few days and got out but we really enjoyed chilling at the beach in sihanoukville as it didn't have hawkers and pimps like in Thailand.

Myanmar was a real headreck though. Beautiful and friendly but so sad too. I'd call it a challenging destination, lots to see that will you'll be thinking about for the rest of your life.

• Advertisement

Direct flights. Inexpensive hotels. Nice wine.

Even better brandy.

Advertisement