Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman shot & killed in Derry being treated as a terrorist incident MOD WARNING IN OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Jesus, you'd think the Shinnerbots would wait until later in the thread before spouting their ****e.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

RIP Lyra McKee. I had believed and hoped that our island had moved beyond this.
    The Ceasefire Babies was what they called us. Those too young to remember the worst of the terror because we were either in nappies or just out of them when the Provisional IRA ceasefire was called. I was four, Jonny was three. We were the Good Friday Agreement generation, destined to never witness the horrors of war but to reap the spoils of peace. The spoils just never seemed to reach us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Your take on what happened is so warped.

Search Leona O’Neill, journalist on Facebook. She was standing right beside her when it happened and called the ambulance. Quicker and safer to take the shot woman to hospital in the back of PSNI vehicle than have an ambulance enter the area.

RIP

If you know the history of that particular area you'd know that the security forces don't have the best reputation when it comes to putting wounded civilians in the back of security vehicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

McCrack wrote: »
    "Ireland unfree shall never be at peace"

I have been a supporter of a United Ireland since I could understand the concept of Ireland being partitioned.

I understood the armed conflict brought leading on from the brutal suppression of the just civil rights movement. I've watched keenly the UI polls and have argued in favour of a UI. I've argued against the economic drain thinking that the ROI taking on the costs of running NI would be onerous.

Most if not all of my friends or acquaintances could not fathom why I'd be in favour of a UI.

But, I've just had a road to Damascus conversion, I'm washing my hands of NI. I can't bring myself to say thanks Britain for taking them off our hands, but I don't wish to be associated with these people anymore. And I do understand it's only a minority. But, fuk them. They can stew in their own hatred.

A plague on both their houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I haven't been shocked in a long time, due to almost becoming desensitized to the daily news cycle and daily violence but this is shocking. I'm only a little bit younger than her, that's no age to die.

There's no rhyme or reason here, what a senseless loss of life, just trying to do her job and then this happens ..... RIP Lyra and condolences to her family.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The sad thing is Mak, the kids doing the rioting and shooting far from being born during the conflict. They’ve been raised by parents like judeboy who want there to always be conflict.

Horrible isn't it?.

I've been a soldier 34 years, I've served on the border and even served on the Israeli border during the worst times in both Irish and Lebanese times and I still can not get my head around violence.

And these scum in their ski masks & hoodies skulking off into the dark night after a murder, these bastards also call themselves soldiers!.

Its disgusting. A disgusting start to the Easter holidays.

And just like all the other 3000 plus murders it will not do one single iota for Irish unity.

I'm disgusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Samuel Vimes

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Journo standing with security forces , not wearing clothes to identify herself as a media despite in the middle of an armed conflict and the good old british security forces doing their old trick of bundling a wounded person into the back of a security vehicle only for them to die enroute, sounds familiar.

Disgusting fcoking post
    Shame on you

dudara wrote: »
    RIP Lyra McKee. I had believed and hoped that our island had moved beyond this.

It's not "our" island though, is it? This happened in the UK, not fair to tarnish the people of our country for the actions of UK citizens and residents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

It's not "our" island though, is it? This happened in the UK, not fair to tarnish the people of our country for the actions of UK citizens and residents.

Semantics? Stay classy Judeboy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

I'm quite sure the people who murdererd Lyra , do not identify as UK citizens

• Advertisement

Oh give over. It’s an island, divided into two countries, but still an island. We’re all in it together. Pointing to the North and saying “That’s the UK” is geopolitically correct, but way too simplistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

It is our island, it always has been and always will be. The arguments about idea of nation and state are a entirely different matter but this thread isn't about any of above, it's about a young woman who has lost her life due to actions of thugs with no respect for sanctity of life. Who gives a **** if they identify as Irish or British in this situation.

Semantics? Stay classy Judeboy.

No, just pointing out that its the mentality of "our island" that causes these things to happen. If people accepted that NI is in the UK, that there is no such a city as "Derry" , except in the green tinted glasses of wannabe provos, and leave the UK to sort out its own mess, maybe these things wouldn't happen.

Oh give over. It’s an island, divided into two countries, but still an island. We’re all in it together. Pointing to the North and saying “That’s the UK” is geopolitically correct, but way too simplistic.

The people of the dominican republic don't say "our island" when talking about Hispaniola, neither do the Haitians. We have very little in common with the majority of people in that part of the UK and no amount of diddle-dee-i-begorrah will change that. Had a UK journo being standing with Syrian troops during an armed engagement with IsiL , not wearing media identification, would we even be having this conversation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭griffin100

McCrack wrote: »
    "Ireland unfree shall never be at peace"

Little lad of the tricks,
    Full well I know
    That you have been in mischief:
    Confess your fault truly.

I forgive you, child
    Of the soft red mouth:
    I will not condemn anyone
    For a sin not understood.

Raise your comely head
    Till I kiss your mouth:
    If either of us is the better of that
    I am the better of it.

There is a fragrance in your kiss
    That I have not found yet
    In the kisses of women
    Or in the honey of their bodies.

Lad of the grey eyes,
    That flush in thy cheek
    Would be white with dread of me
    Could you read my secrets.

He who has my secrets
    Is not fit to touch you:
    Is not that a pitiful thing,
    Little lad of the tricks ?

Erik Shun wrote: »

They can think they are Polynesian for all I care, they are born in the UK, registered in the UK birth register and are by default, subjects of the queen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We have very little in common with the majority of people in that part of the UK and no amount of diddle-dee-i-begorrah will change that.

Ah here. This is nonsense.

spurious wrote: »
    Ah here. This is nonsense.

Different religion, different allegiance, different system of government,different attitudes to gay rights, women's rights etc. Pretty big differences, I'd say

They can think they are Polynesian for all I care, they are born in the UK, registered in the UK birth register and are by default, subjects of the queen.

This statement is downright inflammatory. Whatever you personally think about the North, it is clear that there is a large section of the population that do not see themselves as UK citizens.

I’m beginnning to think you are trolling. Either that or you actually trying to incite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

<snip>

RIP to this poor lady. Absolutely shocking news to wake up to and not something that we need here at all. 99% of the people in NI just get on with things. It's the scummy 1% that need to **** off and stop causing trouble for the rest of us. No one wants their "help" with getting a united Ireland anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Sadly, far from it. I'm on the middle ground tending towards unionism and we've started calling it Lower Limivady to wind up the bigots.

This has confused me. What has Limavady got to do with it? And if you're winding up bigots then you're part of the problem also.

RIP Lyra McKee.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Judeboy101, please don't post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Ignore option really handy for some people , doesn't work when their posts are quoted.

Please stops Quoting wum,biggots,etc (Just in case any come on here)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Ignore option really handy for some people , doesn't work when their posts are quoted.

Please stops Quoting wum,biggots,etc (Just in case any come on here)

Mod

Leave it out. He can't respond and this is borderline backseat modding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

This statement is downright inflammatory. Whatever you personally think about the North, it is clear that there is a large section of the population that do not see themselves as UK citizens.

I’m beginnning to think you are trolling. Either that or you actually trying to incite.

PING... That's the sound of a penny dropping :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,102 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

What kicked off the 'rioting' in the first place?

And the creggan might as well be in donegal, due to the location and the composition of the people that live there. RIP to Lyra

• Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

retalivity wrote: »

And the creggan might as well be in donegal, due to the location and the composition of the people that live there. RIP to Lyra

PSNI raids on houses apparently. They were expecting trouble over the easter weekend so tried to head it off by raiding to look for weapons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Erik Shun wrote: »

I was born in Newry (like thousands more from Dundalk) registered in Newry but lived in Dundalk since I was 1 week old

Am I a subject of the Queen by default?

retalivity wrote: »

Massive security operation happening in Mulroy Gardens in Creggan #Derry tonight. A house search is being conducted. Army Technical Officers are also at the scene although the area is not cordoned off.
    https://www.facebook.com/1725466987476655/posts/2231492136874135?sfns=mo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If paramilitaries were involved then they must have expected the victim to have been involved in the sale or distribution of drugs.

Says someone who read the title of the thread and nothing else. :rollseyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement