Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin ranks 3rd in terms of the amount of time spent in cars due to congestion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

it's not just the parents not dropping their kids to school, you'll almost certainly find that there are more parents taking the week off themselves too, so there's less worker commuter traffic also.

Of course but school drop offs are huge...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

We did the cart before horse approach to building.
    Major suburbs like Tallaght and Blancharstown were built without any notion of putting in public transport. The first thing that should have been going in was some kind of high capacity rail link to the city and serving major business parks in the suburbs.

Fixing this is expensive or even impossible as you're retrofitting trams or metro to already built sprawl.

It's neither the European approach of putting in decent mass transit from the start nor is it the American approach of accepting it's car dependent and putting in adequate road infrastructure from day one. We seem to have planning that is based on an assumption that teleportation is arriving any day soon.

You're paying for abysmal planning or lack of planning.

We also aren't spending enough on mass transit at all.

Dublin's managed to build two tramlines (one of which was already an old Victorian railway for most of its route) and electrified one heavy rail line that's been running since the dawn of railways. The rest of the commuter network, if you ban even all it that, is diesel!!

Meanwhile Cork, which is growing fast has plans but no realistic finding for any start on tramways or similar.

If we don't put in the planning and resourcing we can't then moan about sitting in cars for hours every day.

What we have is exactly what we've voted for over the years. We tolerated and even actively encouraged bad planning and continue to pay absolutely no attention to local authority elections. Instead we use TDs as fixers and turn urban infrastructure into national political footballs.

Maybe the dawn of executive mayors in Cork etc and hopefully that spreading to Dublin soon will change the focus, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

Strap onto bike???

Tried that while in Germany, very destabilising. Alternatively I could've gotten pannier bags, but then I would've had a s*** kicked out of me for looking like a postman.

Sort out the schoolbook situation (which is ridiculous) and it's a win-win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Anteayer wrote: »
    We did the cart before horse approach to building.
    Major suburbs like Tallaght and Blancharstown were built without any notion of putting in public transport. The first thing that should have been going in was some kind of high capacity rail link to the city and serving major business parks in the suburbs.

Fixing this is expensive or even impossible as you're retrofitting trams or metro to already built sprawl.

It's neither the European approach of putting in decent mass transit from the start nor is it the American approach of accepting it's car dependent and putting in adequate road infrastructure from day one. We seem to have planning that is based on an assumption that teleportation is arriving any day soon.

You're paying for abysmal planning or lack of planning.

We also aren't spending enough on mass transit at all.

Dublin's managed to build two tramlines (one of which was already an old Victorian railway for most of its route) and electrified one heavy rail line that's been running since the dawn of railways. The rest of the commuter network, if you ban even all it that, is diesel!!

Meanwhile Cork, which is growing fast has plans but no realistic finding for any start on tramways or similar.

If we don't put in the planning and resourcing we can't then moan about sitting in cars for hours every day.

What we have is exactly what we've voted for over the years. We tolerated and even actively encouraged bad planning and continue to pay absolutely no attention to local authority elections. Instead we use TDs as fixers and turn urban infrastructure into national political footballs.

Maybe the dawn of executive mayors in Cork etc and hopefully that spreading to Dublin soon will change the focus, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Rail was proposed at the same time that Tallaght and Blanch were being built but commentators and senior civil servants jumped up and down on the notion that suburbs should get rail at all. Even the 1981 Maynooth service sailed past nearly all of Blanch until as late as 1990.

Rail was proposed at the same time that Tallaght and Blanch were being built but commentators and senior civil servants jumped up and down on the notion that suburbs should get rail at all. Even the 1981 Maynooth service sailed past nearly all of Blanch until as late as 1990.

That's the problem though. We've had absolutely zero vision. It's just slap up as many ticky-tacky boxes as you can and plan for absolutely no infrastructure.

I mean the Dublin Area basically ran out of water because it forgot to build any new reservoirs to supply the vast number of homes put up since the 1990s and it's choked on traffic because once again nobody seems to have realised that a lot of people would need to get to and from the city centre and other places of work.

We build houses, not communities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I wonder if congestion charging were introduced, would we have schools off traffic every day of the working week, all year around?

I don't really see how you can introduce congestion charging with abysmally under developed public transport.
    It works in London because it has one of the best underground metro systems in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

“We did the cart before horse approach to building.

It's neither the European approach of putting in decent mass transit from the start nor is it the American approach of accepting it's car dependent and putting in adequate road infrastructure from day one. We seem to have planning that is based on an assumption that teleportation is arriving any day soon.”

This hits the nail on the head. Build an entirely car dependent city and roads suitable for villages to take them all. Absolute joke. Certainly dublin metro And dart underground would Hoover up large amounts of traffic. But there are a huge number of trips , that will never make sense by public transport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Idbatterim wrote: »
    “We did the cart before horse approach to building.

It's neither the European approach of putting in decent mass transit from the start nor is it the American approach of accepting it's car dependent and putting in adequate road infrastructure from day one. We seem to have planning that is based on an assumption that teleportation is arriving any day soon.”

This hits the nail on the head. Build an entirely car dependent city and roads suitable for villages to take them all. Absolute joke. Certainly dublin metro And dart underground would Hoover up large amounts of traffic. But there are a huge number of trips , that will never make sense by public transport

But shure we had transport. Sand coloured crawling buses on infrequent A, B and C variations. Shure ‘twas grand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭downtheroad

it's not just the parents not dropping their kids to school, you'll almost certainly find that there are more parents taking the week off themselves too, so there's less worker commuter traffic also.

Maybe, but the biggest junction nearest to my house has anywhere between 30-40 cars waiting to proceed each morning while today and yesterday there was between 5-10. Anecdotal I know, but I find it hard to believe this drop off is solely down to people being away on holiday. The junction is also close to a few schools as it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

In terms of outcomes they are quite evidently not.

So he outcome is the only thing that matters, is it? I would disagree. The rules of the road apply to everyone. Don't try justify bad behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Shai

I sure can't wait until the guards start enforcing the rules of the road for pedestrians and their heinous jaywalking I see being committed everywhere.

Shai wrote: »
    I sure can't wait until the guards start enforcing the rules of the road for pedestrians and their heinous jaywalking I see being committed everywhere.

Its only J-walking if it is committed within 50m of a traffic light.

yup, I know. Tons of that happening in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

Shai wrote: »
    yup, I know. Tons of that happening in Dublin.

Most due to bad pedestrian planning tbh

Qrt wrote: »
    Most due to bad pedestrian planning tbh

I don't disagree that that's a part of it. I mostly made the statement in reaction to the quote below. Personally, I'm not crazily bothered by jaywalking, but I like to use it as an example to contrast with the "dura lex sed lex" mentality. One person's idea of "bad behaviour" is another person's way of coping with poor transport planning.
    The rules of the road apply to everyone. Don't try justify bad behaviour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

So he outcome is the only thing that matters, is it?
    well, it's the main thing, anyway. unless you want to get into a debate that speeding is equivalent to jaywalking because they're both 'equally' illegal.
    the difference being that the motorist has brought a gun to a knife fight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

the difference being that the motorist has brought a gun to a knife fight.

What fight?

Why are cyclists so antagonistic and self-pitying?

It's likely something to do with the lycra outfits causing damage to the genitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So he outcome is the only thing that matters, is it? I would disagree. The rules of the road apply to everyone. Don't try justify bad behaviour.

3,500 people killed by motorists over the past 15 years certainly matters.

What fight?

It's likely something to do with the lycra outfits causing damage to the genitals.

Maybe it's a reaction to having their lives endangered daily by motorists who prioritise catching up on their soaps or their WhatsApp groups over the safety of vulnerable road users?

• Advertisement

Maybe it's a reaction to having their lives endangered daily by motorists who prioritise catching up on their soaps or their WhatsApp groups over the safety of vulnerable road users?

Paranoid nonsense

Paranoid nonsense

Are you saying that you don't believe it is dangerous to be using the phone while driving?

3,500 people killed by motorists over the past 15 years certainly matters.

Whether or not you kill somebody is not the only consideration of bad road behaviour no matter how much you try to justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Whether or not you kill somebody is not the only consideration of bad road behaviour no matter how much you try to justify it.

True, but it should inform proportionality of response...

cdaly_ wrote: »
    True, but it should inform proportionality of response...

Agree, but then again, you can't put a Garda on every junction in Ireland. What it needs is for a bit of respect for the rules of the road from ALL road users.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

What fight?

who said anything about cyclists?
    i was responding to a discussion about people jaywalking, i thought?

You're dead right. We shouldn't lose sight of the number of people seriously injured by motorists either. It was about ten people each week last time I looked.

You're dead right. We shouldn't lose sight of the number of people seriously injured by motorists either. It was about ten people each week last time I looked.

Do you think these bad old motorists actually get up in the morning and decide to go out and kill cyclists?

Do you think there's a quota system in place or something?

I cycle 3+ times per week to t he city centre and back and i've NEVER had a probem with a motorist...why? Because i stay left,use hand signals,obey traffic lights and cycle at a reasonable speed. Another key word is respect..if you give it it will be shown to you.

The people i DO have problems with EVERY day are cyclists..aggressive,breaking lights,dangerous overtaking and undertaking,no hand signals and at night no lights or jackets.

There are 2 types that bother me the most...People on citybikes and MAMMILS on racing bikes.

MAMMILS *have* to overtake you,even if its not safe to do so. They have no visual awareness and will change lanes without signalling or shoulder-checking,they cycle too close to vehicles and other cyclists,they travel too fast for people to react to them in time and this combined with risky and dangerous maneuvers makes them a nightmare on the road..for cyclists (whom they seem to despise) and motorists(whom they seem to want to upset).

The mindset of this type of cyclist is "screw everybody else,i've bought the gear i own the road"..similar in may ways to Audi drivers to use an analogy.

Be careful on your bike and you will be safe and stop looking for ways to antagonise other road users..dressing in lycra and peddling like you're in the tour de france on a city road will get you hurt..NOT because drivers have a vendetta against cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

who said anything about cyclists?
    i was responding to a discussion about people jaywalking, i thought?

He probably sees cyclists under the bed Joe McCarthy style.

• Advertisement

I cycle 3+ times per week to t he city centre and back and i've NEVER had a probem with a motorist...why?
    i refuse point blank to believe this.

Advertisement