Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

Yes but I think repeated harassment from a driver would be more likely to be taken seriously and to be recorded on pulse as the question of intent is clear.

Incidentally I have reported two incidents to Blackrock and have given statements on both occasions with corresponding pulse records. Now in fairness I've yet to hear more on either but the record will be there forever incase either driver re-offends, which I think is important.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Ferris wrote: »
    Yes but I think repeated harassment from a driver would be more likely to be taken seriously and to be recorded on pulse as the question of intent is clear.
    How do they know it is repeated harassment if there is no central record of the events?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

A statement made by the victim of said harassment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Ferris wrote: »
    A statement made by the victim of said harassment

Don’t think they log those on pulse so unless it’s the same guard and he remembers the previous statements there’s no way to join the dots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Isn't it a good idea to ask politely for the PULSE number relating to your complaint? Some guards will say they can't give you the number till they input it; some are more conscientious and will give it to you immediately, or so I've heard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how does it work from a general natural justice point of view about a complaint made about someone which a garda decides is not actionable. can they/do they keep a record in any system of this?

e.g. if a neighbour of mine (and there is one i don't quite get along with) made a malicious and false complaint about me, is there and should there be a record kept of it if a garda decides there's no case to answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

how does it work from a general natural justice point of view about a complaint made about someone which a garda decides is not actionable. can they/do they keep a record in any system of this?

e.g. if a neighbour of mine (and there is one i don't quite get along with) made a malicious and false complaint about me, is there and should there be a record kept of it if a garda decides there's no case to answer?

Well when I tried to engage with the gardai recently about a dangerous close pass that I have video footage of I was told unless there is an action taken by a Garda then there is no record.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I had a lunatic who owns a business on my commute follow me through town screaming from his car. I didnt want to prosecute as he has a record and the business has been in hot water too. Kinda character you avoid.

Wanted it logged in Pulse in case there was any further incidents and I had to take it further. Very helpful young member in the local station explained it was proceed with a traffic case or drop it and nothing goes on Pulse.

Video stored safely if he ever acts up again. Probably should leave instructions if I ever end up as roadkill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I saw a cyclist have a bit of a 'Falling Down' moment yesterday evening at Harolds Cross, and rightly so. I was coming out of town, but he was the far side of the bridge, approaching it from the Kimmage side in the right lane. It seems the motorist behind him took umbrage to his occupation of the lane and gave him a toot. The cyclist stopped dead in the road, held up the car and gave the motorist a right old ear bashing. Yer man in the car looked like he wanted the ground to open up and swallow him.

The Gardai have been at Harolds Cross the last two mornings pulling people using the bus lane. I saw a Garda pull a van this morning for using it. When he had the van pulled in two other cars whizzed by in the lane. People just don't give a flying fcuk (one of them was a learner).

I'm not sure if the people are getting tickets or not. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I saw a cyclist have a bit of a 'Falling Down' moment yesterday evening at Harolds Cross, and rightly so. I was coming out of town, but he was the far side of the bridge, approaching it from the Kimmage side in the right lane. It seems the motorist behind him took umbrage to his occupation of the lane and gave him a toot. The cyclist stopped dead in the road, held up the car and gave the motorist a right old ear bashing. Yer man in the car looked like he wanted the ground to open up and swallow him.

The Gardai have been at Harolds Cross the last two mornings pulling people using the bus lane. I saw a Garda pull a van this morning for using it. When he had the van pulled in two other cars whizzed by in the lane. People just don't give a flying fcuk (one of them was a learner).

I wish we had an automatic missile system that would target you if you broke a red light!!! Hence why I should never be the leader of this country!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I wish we had an automatic missile system that would target you if you broke a red light!!! Hence why I should never be the leader of this country!!

No no no no no. That is too extreme. It should follow you until you stop, interrogate you as to why you broke the light (wouldn't want undercover cop cars following somebody or actually on real urgent activities getting blown up) and then go boom if you have no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Spikes that raise from the ground when lights go red would be a softer but extreme enough measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Scary close pass at speed this morning. No reason for it. No reason for a punishment pass. Had a whole other side of the road to move into. Most likely on the phone. Didn’t get the reg. May have to go scouting later for it. He’s likely in one of the car parks nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Answered by AGS yesterday evening :)

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1118173326369804289

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭francois

blackwhite wrote: »
    Answered by AGS yesterday evening :)

None there at 8.30 this morning, I counted 5-yes 5-cars running a red light there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

francois wrote: »
    None there at 8.30 this morning, I counted 5-yes 5-cars running a red light there

The law is changing so that cameras that can automagically issue fines will soon be universal.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Rechuchote wrote: »
    The law is changing so that cameras that can automagically issue fines will soon be universal.
    Universal?
    How much is the budget for this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i guess it's a case of making people worry that there will be gardai there, rather than actually having gardai there, so you wouldn't need them every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i guess it's a case of making people worry that there will be gardai there, rather than actually having gardai there, so you wouldn't need them every morning.

a bit like the fixed speed camera at the Spa Hotel near Lucan. had the fear of God in people for years but thew camera was very rarely in operation.

out of interest, where have all of those fixed cameras gone?

a bit like the fixed speed camera at the Spa Hotel near Lucan. had the fear of God in people for years but thew camera was very rarely in operation.

out of interest, where have all of those fixed cameras gone?

Lifted during road widening works, and never replaced AFAIK

The red light camera at Con Colbert Rd - Sth Circular Road junction is still there, but I don't think it's been operational for a long time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Last time I checked the shell of the one on the old N2 before Ashbourne was still there too, albeit taken over by nature. On the M50 the lines until relatively recently were still there for the one just before the airport northbound, and around Dundrum northbound. The lines are either gone now, or I just don't notice them anymore at this stage. As far as I know there were never actual cameras in place at either of those locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

The one at Dunleer on the M1 was removed due to cost. Someone had to go out and change the roll of film and it didn't take many photos to fill the roll. It was installed before roadside cameras became digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

so it appears that they've basically given up on them! I can't remember the last time I heard of one being operational. fish in a barrel eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

It's just priceless the inpetitude with which we solve for things. It would be funny if it was not a road safety issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Yes no cops this morn. I actually saw a car go into bus lane between the gap in the bollards( area to let bus out) right in front of me, no indicator of course either. They gained minus ground and put me at risk

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/almost-5-000-drivers-caught-using-phone-in-first-two-months-of-2019-1.3863368

nearly 100 a day? colour me gobsmacked. i've never seen nor heard of anyone getting caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/almost-5-000-drivers-caught-using-phone-in-first-two-months-of-2019-1.3863368

nearly 100 a day? colour me gobsmacked. i've never seen nor heard of anyone getting caught.
    You'd wonder is it the same number generator that the guards used for drink driving detections?

I've seen people pulled on Merrion Rd a few times.

There's usually a garda on patrol around the British Embassy - at times when they're particularly bored I have seen them pull drivers out of the line of traffic for what I can only assume was seeing them on the phone. Notebook has been out times when I've passed them pulled over as well, so looks like tickets would have been issued

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

The one at Dunleer on the M1 was removed due to cost. Someone had to go out and change the roll of film and it didn't take many photos to fill the roll. It was installed before roadside cameras became digital.

The cameras at Kilineer and Gormanston on the old N1 were the same type, no longer operational.
    Cost wasn't really an issue. a garda from the Traffic Corps was detailed to look after them as part of his normal duties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Eamonnator wrote: »
    The cameras at Kilineer and Gormanston on the old N1 were the same type, no longer operational.
    Cost wasn't really an issue. a garda from the Traffic Corps was detailed to look after them as part of his normal duties.

Were they rotating them around from location to location years ago?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement