Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭downtheroad

in Fairview, having to switch lanes because of the sh1tshow that is the junction with the Malahide road

Has to be of the most badly designed junctions on the north side of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

q7QbbaJ.jpg

Sure what could go wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭f1000

What's wrong is the Bulmers ad is gone

3083984599_03e2756e09_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

f1000 wrote: »

That ad was there so long it had completely faded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

f1000 wrote: »

Anything to be said for a throwback to the old Jacob's ad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I’m absolutely done reporting anything to gardai. Bloke going through rathmines last week texting caught me looking in. Gave me the finger and shouted **** off when I motioned to put the phone down. He spots the camera, and 500m up the road he catches up to me, begins to threaten me, asking me to show him the camera, while also taking photos of me on his phone, while driving. Drivers behind began beeping so he said he wanted to pull in and have a chat. He speeds up the road, pulls across cycle track and footpath, essentially blocking me. I stopped about 100ft short of him and held my ground. He gets out starts shouting again, threatening me, etc. I’ve no interest in “chatting” so I just turned around and cycled away. He went back to his car. I stop, attempt to continue and he gets out again and walks towards me. I tell him to **** off and leave it, he keeps coming. This is a well dressed bloke in a decent car, not your average scum bag. **** it, im 200ft from the Garda station so I head there. He drives off, I happen to catch a garda leaving the station. He’s properly interested, will have a chat, maybe even fcpn for phone and or parking on path/cycle track. Asks me to send him everything.

Two weeks go by and he calls. Couldn’t view the video so it’s a “he says vs you says” thing. I say I’ll drop the video in on a usb/dvd/vhs/whatever, but he says well the car isn’t registered to him and he doesn’t live in the district so there’s really nothing that can be done.

****ing wonderful that they’ve got your back.

Next time at least I know I don’t have to stay above board, I can flatten the ****er because I don’t live in the district and the bike isn’t registered to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Wouldn't normally say this, but I think you have to take this one further. The guy is clearly a psychopath...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,586 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

but he says well the car isn’t registered to him and he doesn’t live in the district so there’s really nothing that can be done.

At risk of repeating myself, but if only we had some kind of countrywide network of police stations with officers based in each one to deal with issues like this?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Go to the Super, and if nothing is done there go to GSOC. There is a litany of offences in that paragraph, not limited to verbal assault, physical intimidation, offensive conduct, driving using a mobile phone, driving without due care and attention, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I’m absolutely done reporting anything to gardai. Bloke going through rathmines last week texting caught me looking in. Gave me the finger and shouted **** off when I motioned to put the phone down. He spots the camera, and 500m up the road he catches up to me, begins to threaten me, asking me to show him the camera, while also taking photos of me on his phone, while driving. Drivers behind began beeping so he said he wanted to pull in and have a chat. He speeds up the road, pulls across cycle track and footpath, essentially blocking me. I stopped about 100ft short of him and held my ground. He gets out starts shouting again, threatening me, etc. I’ve no interest in “chatting” so I just turned around and cycled away. He went back to his car. I stop, attempt to continue and he gets out again and walks towards me. I tell him to **** off and leave it, he keeps coming. This is a well dressed bloke in a decent car, not your average scum bag. **** it, im 200ft from the Garda station so I head there. He drives off, I happen to catch a garda leaving the station. He’s properly interested, will have a chat, maybe even fcpn for phone and or parking on path/cycle track. Asks me to send him everything.

Two weeks go by and he calls. Couldn’t view the video so it’s a “he says vs you says” thing. I say I’ll drop the video in on a usb/dvd/vhs/whatever, but he says well the car isn’t registered to him and he doesn’t live in the district so there’s really nothing that can be done.

Next time at least I know I don’t have to stay above board, I can flatten the ****er because I don’t live in the district and the bike isn’t registered to me.

As the garda for the drivers insurance details.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

why would the garda hand that over? there's nothing actionable from an insurance point of view, the actions were offences, not claimable damages.

why would the garda hand that over? there's nothing actionable from an insurance point of view, the actions were offences, not claimable damages.

There have been successful claims for psychological damage for near misses, seeking the other drivers insurance details I would presume is a right you have.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Chiparus wrote: »
    There have been successful claims for psychological damage for near misses
    link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

link?

If this is true early retirement is on the cards... 🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Roman Emperor

I’m absolutely done reporting anything to gardai. Bloke going through rathmines last week texting caught me looking in. Gave me the finger and shouted **** off when I motioned to put the phone down...

A pretty ugly event alright...driver appears to be a nasty piece of work. But you must admit you sparked the incident when you "motioned to put the phone down". If we were to react to every such episode we'd just drive ourselves crazy.

link?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/ambulance-driver-settles-case-over-ryanair-plane-near-miss-1.2825218

If i neglegently dicharge a shotgun close to your head , say I miss by 6 inches , and you suffer PTSD, you have a right to sue me, even though you have suffered no physical injury.

I cannot see why the guard would refuse to get the insurance details, even if you decide not to take action through PIAB - the fact the driver could loose his NCB and even face insurance rises that would dwarf any possible fines in the criminal court.

fair enough, but neither of those were near misses in any way applicable to road traffic.

fair enough, but neither of those were near misses in any way applicable to road traffic.

Why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭tnegun

Prick this morning decided he'd use the bus lane to skip the queue then couldn't wait to pass me safely https://vimeo.com/328534645

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Kudos to the clown in the merc this morning who skimmed by me at speed and went straight through a red light I was waiting at, skipping the traffic in the left lane and using the right turn filter lane to do so. Hope that couple of seconds made a big difference you joining the the daily long queue of traffic through Castleknock this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Usual spot for a dodgy pass. Holding the lane doesnt always stop them trying

https://twitter.com/alan_downtown/status/1113851145859022853?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭xckjoo

That's shocking that they gave you the brush off. I'd honestly try and escalate it as you were clearly physically threatened and intimidated.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Azizur Rahman

Go to a different Garda station to report it and wait to get a Pulse number.
    Multiple offences described by you including threatening and abusive behaviour (public order offences) and possibly endangering traffic (Non-fatal offences against the person act offence).

Sounds like you got fobbed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

site_owner wrote: »

What an absolute dick!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

site_owner wrote: »

Licence Number:|T23596
    Licence Type:|Taxi
    Licence Status:|Active
    Licence Expiry Date:|20/04/2019
    Vehicle Registration No.:|131D6567
    Name of Licence Holder:|ANTHONY MURRAY

https://www.transportforireland.ie/taxi/check-if-a-taxi-driver-is-properly-licensed/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,558 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Cycle lane both sides of the road blocked by parked cars at Clonskeagh mosque. Good 200m stretch of cars.

Looks like they’ve learned to copy some of the worse habits of mass-goers

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's a pure balls of a junction. Someone in a massive rush in a merc nearly took me out there before trying the same over take. A few weeks ago, a driver of the 75 bus came up to the lights in the left turn lane and proceeded straight. I was a bit ahead, but he sat on the horn as another cyclist was going through (in the straight ahead lane) on the right.
    I drive this junction a lot, haven't cycled it in years though. It's insane the things you see other drivers do on it.

I recall one day I ended up at the point where a cyclist was turning left, and so was I, but I was way past the point where I could overtake him and turn left. So I waited behind him.

The car behind me was clearly not happy that I wouldn't gun it past the bike. The bike was sauntering a bit, he wasn't pushing himself very hard. But sure, what's the rush. Guy behind me is up my arse and as far to the right as he can be.

So we turn up the Knocklyon Road. It's an annoying road to be behind a bike. Oncoming traffic is very regular and there's nowhere near enough room to overtake without cross the white line.

So I'm still behind this bike as we approach the bus stop at Coolamber, where an oncoming bus is letting passengers on. Guy behind is clearly carrying a heart for transplant because he decides that now is the right to time overtake both of us, cutting me and the bike off to squeeze in and avoid hitting the bus.

Could have been a Tucson too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

A pretty ugly event alright...driver appears to be a nasty piece of work. But you must admit you sparked the incident when you "motioned to put the phone down". If we were to react to every such episode we'd just drive ourselves crazy.

The more people who "motion to put the phone down" the safer for us all, though, Roman Emperor. It is only social pressure that will stop this very dangerous behaviour.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement