Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Bloody blue Audi A5 driver again this morning on the Rosbrien Road - I swear they are trying scare the sh|te out of me! This morning again I was riding to avoid the drains on a 50km/hr stretch of road with bumps, and they came within a two feet of me, and i shouted after them only to get two fingers and then they sped off like the nice little boy racer they are. It's a pity the AGS cant prosecute for close passes, because that pass this morning even at that low speed, was scary!

Sorry no cam but if I was to get one, is it better to get one on the helmet or mounted on the bike. I've heard the cycliq light/cam are good but they are damn expensive especially if you go front and rear in one go.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mc Love wrote: »
    It's a pity the AGS cant prosecute for close passes, because that pass this morning even at that low speed, was scary!
    There is a difference between "can't" and "couldn't be arsed".
    They could easily prosecute for driving without due care (or whatever it is called). They generally couldn't be arsed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

I think any Guard would take an extremely dim view of repeat offenders if the complaint was made in good faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Mc Love wrote: »
    Sorry no cam but if I was to get one, is it better to get one on the helmet or mounted on the bike. I've heard the cycliq light/cam are good but they are damn expensive especially if you go front and rear in one go.

I've a GoPro Session on the handlebars, it's handy enough. I'm in slow moving traffic a lot, so i think that's the best place for it. I'm thinking of moving the Gopro to the back and getting the Cycliq Fly12 for the front.

The Cycliq Fly 6CE rear camera gets fairly bad reviews, so i wouldn't be going for that.

I'd be happy enough with having them mounted on the bike, dunno about the helmet cam. On one hand it might make drivers more wary of you or on the other, it could be putting a target on your back. :confused::confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have a Cycliq on the front and a Drift Sleath on the back (interesting fact, they slide in perfectly between the rails of a Fizik saddle). I used to have a helmet mounted one, better videos as it sees what you want it to see but I just couldn't be arsed with the weight on my head, and being a self conscious prat, I thought it looked a bit stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

had a motorist overtake me coming up Haddington rd towards Mespil rd this morning and then immediately pull into a parking space on the left, forcing me to slow down and swerve out. my gesture to him as I passed left him looking completely at a loss as to what he could have done wrong.
    next thing I hear someone shouting at me from my right and braced myself for some misdirected abuse. in fact the motorist who'd been behind him had pulled alongside me with his window down shouting something along the lines of "some motorists really are fvcking idiots aren't they?". cheered me right up :D

yesterday evening a motorcyclist stopped at lights beside me on Alfie Byrne rd outbound shouted over that he didn't envy me on a bike and fair play for having the balls to cycle in that traffic. I just said to him that we were both better off as we were than being endlessly sat in cars in traffic. 2 positive random motorist interactions in 2 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I've a GoPro Session on the handlebars, it's handy enough. I'm in slow moving traffic a lot, so i think that's the best place for it. I'm thinking of moving the Gopro to the back and getting the Cycliq Fly12 for the front.

The Cycliq Fly 6CE rear camera gets fairly bad reviews, so i wouldn't be going for that.

I'd be happy enough with having them mounted on the bike, dunno about the helmet cam. On one hand it might make drivers more wary of you or on the other, it could be putting a target on your back. :confused::confused:

is that the latest fly 6?
    I have the fly 6 first and second generations and it is much better than the fly 12 except for image quality,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Chiparus wrote: »
    is that the latest fly 6?
    I have the fly 6 first and second generations and it is much better than the fly 12 except for image quality,

Yeah, the newer one is meant to be sh1te and the older version is supposed to be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

happened yday but going through one of the junctions , probably Baggot St heading west, lights went orange about half way through, had gone red as I was leaving the junction, no obvious cars around me, about 3 seconds later this car beeps me from the inside as I was heading back to the inside of the lane and the muppet gesticulating like I was in the wrong. My brain took a few seconds to process this , but he basically must have broken a red light and he was going to undertake me on a single lane road. I need to get a camera to record this sh1t.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

CramCycle wrote: »
    I have a Cycliq on the front and a Drift Sleath on the back (interesting fact, they slide in perfectly between the rails of a Fizik saddle). I used to have a helmet mounted one, better videos as it sees what you want it to see but I just couldn't be arsed with the weight on my head, and being a self conscious prat, I thought it looked a bit stupid.

Might have some use as a visual deterrent when on top of lid. It does look ridiculous but I do see a lot of people noticing it and that might be useful.

Primarily I wear a camera on the lid because if an altercation with a driver turns into fisticuffs (like it did last year) I want that on camera, and handlebar mounted etc probably wouldn't be much use in those situations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

steamsey wrote: »
    Primarily I wear a camera on the lid because if an altercation with a driver turns into fisticuffs (like it did last year) I want that on camera

Tell us more

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not a near miss, got hit by some phlegm from a full kit Rapha guy on Tuesday afternoon on the way home. He seemed annoyed I overtook him so I made sure to drop him when i felt he was trying to keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

CramCycle wrote: »
    Not a near miss, got hit by some phlegm from a full kit Rapha guy on Tuesday afternoon on the way home. He seemed annoyed I overtook him so I made sure to drop him when i felt he was trying to keep up.

Did you RKO him?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Yeah, the newer one is meant to be sh1te and the older version is supposed to be great.

ive a fly6 ce and its miles better than my old fly 6.
    the "garmin connected" features are useless, but: battery life, mounting, the look of it and picture quality set it apart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

had a motorist overtake me coming up Haddington rd towards Mespil rd this morning and then immediately pull into a parking space on the left, forcing me to slow down and swerve out. my gesture to him as I passed left him looking completely at a loss as to what he could have done wrong.
    next thing I hear someone shouting at me from my right and braced myself for some misdirected abuse. in fact the motorist who'd been behind him had pulled alongside me with his window down shouting something along the lines of "some motorists really are fvcking idiots aren't they?". cheered me right up :D

Was in Dublin cc this morning; man I was meeting was 15 mins late. He had driven in.

He was held up by accident involving cyclist and stayed to leave his details to Gardai and will be dropping dashcam footage to the station.

The car driver giving rather rude/aggressive signals to lady cyclist before he hit her should be in a bit of bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Tell us more

OK.

South Dublin. March 2018. Bad snow and ice still around but starting to improve. Very few cars out and about - lightest traffic you can imagine for 8am on weekday. Cycle lanes completely unrideable due to snow. Me, cycling along on road, staying as far left as I can. Large patch of ice on road up ahead. Car comes up fast behind me - I motioned for driver to slow down (hand up and down motion) - essentially trying to help because you would not want to hit that ice at speed. Cue driver slowing down and screaming ferocious abuse. An angrier person I have rarely seen. Swerves car towards me two or three times. "I'll run you off the f*cking road you f*cking c*nt" - etc.

Car speeds off. Catch up to car at next red light. Take out phone to capture the reg as felt this was defo worth reporting. Next thing BANG - punch to head from driver who had gotten out of car. Didn't really see/expect it as was fiddling for phone but I should have been more aware. Luckily the driver couldn't punch for sh*t because a sucker punch like that can be devastating. Driver sped off before I even knew what had really happened.

9 months later in court - after listening to the bag of sh*te lie over and over, Judge convicts driver for assault based on nothing but my testimony. Wouldn't look me in the eye throughout hearing. Was essentially an idiot - turned up in court in trackers and a jumper. No job. Handful of previous convictions. Pathetic story from driver that judge clearly saw through. If driver had had any brains, could have easily gotten away with it. Camera is on every time I go on bike now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

steamsey wrote: »
    Might have some use as a visual deterrent when on top of lid. It does look ridiculous but I do see a lot of people noticing it and that might be useful.

Primarily I wear a camera on the lid because if an altercation with a driver turns into fisticuffs (like it did last year) I want that on camera, and handlebar mounted etc probably wouldn't be much use in those situations

I’ve swapped between helmet and handlebars repeatedly, but got a strap mount last year. Less cumbersome than a chest mount, it clips onto my backpack strap and I find it an excellent happy medium. It’s not quite as wide ranging as helmet cam but it stays with you and has a decent field of view. If really needed, you can grab the camera and twist to point it where you need to.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/micros2u-Compatible-Replacement-Solid-Grip-Rucksack/dp/B01N12V3JP/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=38QGQ9T7K61WU&keywords=gopro+strap+mount&qid=1555065096&s=gateway&sprefix=gonpro+strap+mount&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

Would be great to see these mobile phone detectors on commuter routes here, even to just raise awareness of how many drivers are still using mobiles.

"If people are using a Bluetooth hands-free device, the detector will recognise this and not flash."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

p15574 wrote: »
    Would be great to see these mobile phone detectors on commuter routes here, even to just raise awareness of how many drivers are still using mobiles.

"If people are using a Bluetooth hands-free device, the detector will recognise this and not flash."

Not really sure what the point of these are. If they're looking at their phone they'll hardly see a sign telling them they're looking at their phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭blackwhite

p15574 wrote: »

Those detectors come across as the worst type of legislative lip service. They don’t differentiate between passengers or drivers using the phone, so any potential evidence they highlight will be immediately discounted.

What’s needed is these detectors combined with AI-linked cameras to highlight cases that need Garda review. Any images reviewed that show drivers using phones can then result in FCPNs. That would be a proper measure, not just a case of doing something for show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

blackwhite wrote: »
    Those detectors come across as the worst type of legislative lip service.

I was cycling along the R136 yesterday evening, one of those dual carriageways cutting through Adamstown. It's a 80kph zone, and I was tipping along at a handy 41kph* according to one of those roadside speed measuring signs.

The speed was shown in green, and then I got a red warning to 'slow down'. :confused:

*cough humblebrag cough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I’ve swapped between helmet and handlebars repeatedly, but got a strap mount last year. Less cumbersome than a chest mount, it clips onto my backpack strap and I find it an excellent happy medium. It’s not quite as wide ranging as helmet cam but it stays with you and has a decent field of view. If really needed, you can grab the camera and twist to point it where you need to.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/micros2u-Compatible-Replacement-Solid-Grip-Rucksack/dp/B01N12V3JP/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=38QGQ9T7K61WU&keywords=gopro+strap+mount&qid=1555065096&s=gateway&sprefix=gonpro+strap+mount&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Thanks for posting that. Might have to pick one up. I've been using the handle bar mount but it's awkward sticking the camera in and out so often don't bother. Was thinking of moving to helmet, but it looks awkward and not sure about having it there if the helmet is even needed for it's intended purpose. Could see it adding to a neck injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

buffalo wrote: »
    I was cycling along the R136 yesterday evening, one of those dual carriageways cutting through Adamstown. It's a 80kph zone, and I was tipping along at a handy 41kph* according to one of those roadside speed measuring signs.

The speed was shown in green, and then I got a red warning to 'slow down'. :confused:

*cough humblebrag cough

did you get a KOM?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

buffalo wrote: »

*cough humblebrag cough

I cycle that road too (though I stick to the offroad cycle track). I think it flashes 'Slow Down' regardless.. either that or it's detecting someone further back.. I've been shown at 30ish, also followed by a 'Slow Down'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

xckjoo wrote: »
    Thanks for posting that. Might have to pick one up. I've been using the handle bar mount but it's awkward sticking the camera in and out so often don't bother. Was thinking of moving to helmet, but it looks awkward and not sure about having it there if the helmet is even needed for it's intended purpose. Could see it adding to a neck injury.

Yeah it’s quite handy just locking the bike and walking away with camera attached to you, but not strapped to your head :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I cycle that road too (though I stick to the offroad cycle track). I think it flashes 'Slow Down' regardless.. either that or it's detecting someone further back.. I've been shown at 30ish, also followed by a 'Slow Down'.

There is one on link road from Lucan to Tallaght, speed limit is 80k, I was running and it show my speed 19k and said slow down:D:D

Don't worry, the signs will stop working in a few months, they always do

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

blackwhite wrote: »
    Those detectors come across as the worst type of legislative lip service. They don’t differentiate between passengers or drivers using the phone, so any potential evidence they highlight will be immediately discounted.

What’s needed is these detectors combined with AI-linked cameras to highlight cases that need Garda review. Any images reviewed that show drivers using phones can then result in FCPNs. That would be a proper measure, not just a case of doing something for show

Also mobile phones can work on voice activation which doesn't need bluetooth.

Or a driver could put the phone on spotify before they started driving, so have done nothing wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how does the detector know that the phone is connected via bluetooth?
    anyway, to echo some of the above, this is worse than doing nothing. why go to the trouble of implementing something which drivers will ignore? if you're going to go through effort, time and cost, just police the damn things.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Steoller

Steoller wrote: »
    Seems to have been a theme this weekend; overtaking into oncoming traffic.

---Snip----

I'll update with my experience of TW when the process is over.

Update on the above:

Incident took place on 15th of February. I had attended a local policing meeting on 29th of March, raised my concern that I hadn't gotten any call after 6 weeks. The Superintendent asked the Community Garda present to take my details.

I got a call yesterday from the local Community Garda. The member who was assigned my report had tried to call me twice, apparently - I have not received calls, missed or otherwise. Benefit of the doubt - maybe the Trafficwatch agent took my details down wrong.

I've been asked to give a statement next week, and submit any footage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Ferris wrote: »
    I think any Guard would take an extremely dim view of repeat offenders if the complaint was made in good faith.

Yes, but my experience and I think others is that there doesn't seem to be any record kept on PULSE until/unless it looks likely to go to court, therefore no record kept except by individual Garda who given shift patterns etc is unlikely to be the same Garda that is reported to the next time.
    I went into Blackrock Garda station the year before last to follow up on a close pass - because I didn't have the Garda's name I'd spoken to previously nothing could be done apparently, I asked was there no record of me or the Taxi Driver on Pulse to see which Garda I'd been dealing with and your man said there wouldn't be........not encouraging at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement