Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Issue with neighbours parking

• 07-04-2019 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hi all, first time poster and have an issue thats starting to cause a bit of bother....

Current neighbours have moved into the house right beside us since last year. Whenever they have guests come around (which is fairly often) their friends always block our driveway with their cars. We actually cannot get our own cars out of our own driveway. At the start we let it go, but now we have lost count of the amount of times we have had to go over and knock on their door and ask that they get their friends or family to move the car so we can get out and about.

Its getting beyond a joke at this stage. Each time we call over to ask them to move the car (cant believe I actually have to ask them can I get out of my own driveway but here I am) they are full of the sorry's to me...should I be getting guards involved? Everytime we tell them they cant have their friends blocking us in they just fob is off with oh Im so sorry...until it happens again. We did not have this issue ever with our old neighbour. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Call the clampers. It won't happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Stop being nice about it.

Is there anyway to put up a metal post or a bollard to physically prevent this happening?

To add. I own an apartment with a parking spot right beside the lift in the underground carpark. People were always using it so I ended up getting one of those drop down metal posts installed.

Sucked to have to do it but literally it was the only way to stop it being used by randomers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I will never understand how drivers can be so unaware about parking over someone's driveway.

And they are the very ones who will have a conniption if you challenge them!

I am sorry for your trouble, but just park over the neighbours driveway and block them in if you can every time you can. Fight fire with fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

We live on a public road in a small town in rural Ireland so clampers are not really an option, there is no traffic warden either in the town so I'm not sure if its even legal to erect concrete parking bollards?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no easy answer. do you know your local gardai?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭This is it

Difficult one alright. Generally you want to avoid rows with neighbours if at all possible. Is there a way for you to take the space they normally would while still allowing access to your driveway?

Other than that I'd simply call over and in a nice but firm way explain that they need to tell visitors not to park in front of your driveway.

Have they no self awareness ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭enricoh

Pig ignorant behaviour, agree with thre other poster, forget the nicey nicey approach.
    Are they dole heads? skangery? Etc

Call the clampers. It won't happen again.

Clamping someone that's blocking your car in is hardly ideal...

No they are not dole heads. They are both teachers which makes it even more mind boggling how ignorant they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Would lying on the horn sufficiently annoy them any time you want to get out or are they far enough away not to notice?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If you said you were in Dublin I'd have thought you were one of my parents. Their neighbours are the same, pig ignorant and would never dream of blocking their own drive but constantly park across my parents'.

It would be worth having a chat with a local garda and seeing what they advise. My sister in law was in a similar situation only in her case the neighbour was refusing to move the car so she called the Gardai. Neighbour still refused to move it so the Garda said basically if it's not moved in the next 10 minutes it'll be on the back of a tow truck. Neighbour must have thought the garda was bluffing, until, sure enough, a tow truck arrived and the car was carted off. They've never blocked her drive again, but obviously they now absolutely hate my sister in law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Couple of cones with no parking sign should do the trick. Ridiculous it has come to this... or else just park in front of their driveway, they should get the message after 1 go. What I don’t understand is if you arrive in an estate where you don’t live you would never dream of blocking up someone’s driveway so are your neighbors telling their friends to park there, it makes no sense. Get your friends to park in front of their driveway

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    No they are not dole heads. They are both teachers which makes it even more mind boggling how ignorant they are.

Stop being nice and tell them you are heading to the Garda station for a chat

As I said earlier, park over their driveway at every opportunity. Bullies need to be tackled in the only way they understand.

But it is not clear if you have approached the house owners, rather than the inconsiderate parkers.

Either way, you have approached this issue with consideration. Time to take the gloves off maybe?

Thanks for all the replies so far..I can tell you all understand and support my frustration! What I'd like to know though is, can and should I get the guards involved? Or would they even care? (The garda station in our town is only open part time hours)

As I said earlier, park over their driveway at every opportunity. Bullies need to be tackled in the only way they understand.

But it is not clear if you have approached the house owners, rather than the inconsiderate parkers.

Either way, you have approached this issue with consideration. Time to take the gloves off maybe?

Definitely not the approach I would take. You're asking for trouble.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

go to the gardai first. even if they don't/can't do anything; that way, if anything does escalate, you'll be seen as having been the one who was trying to be reasonable about it before it has escalated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies so far..I can tell you all understand and support my frustration! What I'd like to know though is, can and should I get the guards involved? Or would they even care? (The garda station in our town is only open part time hours)

Well worth asking advice from the Gardai
    Also get a cone and write NO PARKING on it and put it on your spot

And invest it one of those

KEEP ENTRANCE CLEAR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This is it wrote: »

No point in being a doormat either though.

Why? It is the same tactic that neighbours visitors are taking and they don't care. Neither do neighbours it seems.

Could do it now and then. I would TBH if the neighbourly approach didn't work.

The neighbours should be ashamed of themselves that their visitors are blocking people in. Right?

• Advertisement

Clamping someone that's blocking your car in is hardly ideal...

I did it once in Dublin. They came back just as I hung up the phone. Told them the potential outcome and they stopped blocking my drive.

No point in being a doormat either though.

I agree.

I did it once in Dublin. They came back just as I hung up the phone. Told them the potential outcome and they stopped blocking my drive.

Ah go on and tell us. Don't leave us hanging like that!

Why? It is the same tactic that neighbours visitors are taking and they don't care. Neither do neighbours it seems.

Could do it now and then. I would TBH if the neighbourly approach didn't work.

The neighbours should be ashamed of themselves that their visitors are blocking people in. Right?

As I said, it's not the approach I would take. No point in starting some sort of tit-for-tat parking war, there are plenty of other avenues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Start by putting a sign outside your own gate if you can. " Please Do Not Obstruct Driveway Day Or Night, Thank You."That should let the neighbours know that you're getting irritated. They might not realise how much it's pishing you off.
    If they do it again you can call and point out the sign to your neighbours and tell them that you were hoping that this would stop the problem from re-occurring and stop you from having to constantly call to them. Hopefully they'll get the message and let their visitors know.
    If that doesn't work then I'd imagine that you're heading for Garda time.

Is it the same visitors all the time BTW ? Seems strange that a number of different visitors would do the same thing. Most people tend to be more considerate.

Ah go on and tell us. Don't leave us hanging like that!

Big yellow metal thing on their wheel...do I need to spoon-feed youse;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Some people think nothing of blocking up estates but most would not do it

I reckon the owner is telling them it’s fine to park outside your place. If it’s multiple people like the parents in law, relations, friends, whoever and they all do it well it’s even more likely

Lay on their doorbell next time. You can lay on your car horn too!

Big yellow metal thing on their wheel...do I need to spoon-feed youse;)

No need to be so dismissive. ;)

But how do you get a clamper out at say this time of a Sunday night for example. Or any time as a non council hired person. Just wondered how successful it might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭gk5000

Is there some way you could block them in after they have blocked you in, say with a friends car, or by keeping your car outside when you expect them?
    Then just don't answer your door or move it, and leave them stuck all night.

• Advertisement

As I said, it's not the approach I would take. No point in starting some sort of tit-for-tat parking war, there are plenty of other avenues.

What alternatives do you propose, if talking to the neighbours/ blockers doesn't work.

Advertisement