Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Issue with neighbours parking

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

RayCun wrote: »

OP, decide what is important to you here.
    Not getting blocked in, or
    NOT BACKING DOWN

Well if it was me I wouldn't be backing down. The OP has tried the 'nice' approach and it's not working.
    If my neighbours show that they have no regard for me I will show the same disregard for them.....and I won't lose a minutes sleep over it. Fcuk 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

....... wrote: »
    You are far far more likely to suffer damage parked on a public road than a private driveway.

And you run a higher risk of the car being stolen too.

source?

this is the public road right outside the poster's house, in a small town in rural Ireland, surrounded by neighbours.

How risky is it really?

emeldc wrote: »
    Well if it was me I wouldn't be backing down. The OP has tried the 'nice' approach and it's not working.
    If my neighbours show that they have no regard for me I will show the same disregard for them.....and I won't lose a minutes sleep over it. Fcuk 'em.

Yeah, most of the advice offered in this thread seems to be mainly concerned with status threats rather than parking.

source?

this is the public road right outside the poster's house, in a small town in rural Ireland, surrounded by neighbours.

How risky is it really?

I live in a quiet cul de sac. One of the kids on the road ran in to my car on his trike and caused €500 worth of damage with the handlebars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

source?

How risky is it really?

Source? Eh, common sense.

The fact that other cars and bicycles are unlikely to be passing on the OPs driveway than on the road. Highly unlikely to be hit by a passing car in your driveway.

Risk - well the insurance companies load your policy more if you dont have off street parking so that kind of speaks for itself. Source - every car insurance policy I have ever had.

Ive no idea where the OP lives but its a bit of a no brainer that the solution to having your driveway blocked is not to just park there yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

source?

How risky is it really?

It doesn't matter really if its more risky ( which logic tells us of course it is ) What matters is the OP wants to park his own car in his own garden and be able to exit and enter .

Highly unlikely to be hit by a passing car in your driveway.

and what is the likelihood of being hit by a passing car when parked just outside?
    Ive no idea where the OP lives but its a bit of a no brainer that the solution to having your driveway blocked is not to just park there yourself.

OP said earlier, a small town in rural Ireland. Neighbours all around so clearly a residential street.

Suggestions in this thread so far have included parking in the neighbours' drive, calling clampers, calling gardai, putting stickers on the windscreen, calling a tow truck, reporting to revenue...

People are very quick to offer advice that will lead to the situation escalating, because **** it, it's just the internet, easy to act the hard man, who cares if the problem is solved as long as you don't sound weak :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Thanks everyone for the replies, next time it happens (I wish I was saying "if" it happens next time instead of "when" it happens next) I will be straight over and telling them to move it, there will be no asking involved (obvs. without being too rude). I will tell them that I have pics taken and reg. of cars noted and advice of guards will be sought. I dont want to go down the road of placing stickers, signs, bollards, my own car even, in front of the drive unless its a very very last resort and guards are totally unhelpful.

Just wanted to ask though, has anyone ever had guards involved in a similar situation and were the guards helpful?

and what is the likelihood of being hit by a passing car when parked just outside?

About 100% more likely than if you were parked inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

source?

That's just by-the-numbers argumentative boards bull****. Of course a car is better in a driveway than on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the replies, next time it happens (I wish I was saying "if" it happens next time instead of "when" it happens next) I will be straight over and telling them to move it, there will be no asking involved (obvs. without being too rude). I will tell them that I have pics taken and reg. of cars noted and advice of guards will be sought. I dont want to go down the road of placing stickers, signs, bollards, my own car even, in front of the drive unless its a very very last resort and guards are totally unhelpful.

Just wanted to ask though, has anyone ever had guards involved in a similar situation and were the guards helpful?

If they park there at more or less the same time/day, would you not watch out for them and go out to the driver and tell them not to park there, that you need to get out? I understand the frustration that they are all going to your neighbours house but the neighbour is not parking the car(s).

miamee wrote: »
    If they park there at more or less the same time/day, would you not watch out for them and go out to the driver and tell them not to park there, that you need to get out? I understand the frustration that they are all going to your neighbours house but the neighbour is not parking the car(s).

That's why the sign might work as you'd think some of them would have decency.

If they all persist parking there then you'll at least know it's coming from the neighbour telling them to work away.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Pineapple1 wrote:

See post 54, yes they were helpful.

emeldc wrote: »
    About 100% more likely than if you were parked inside.

So a one in a million chance rather than one in two million. Cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Are you being awkward for the sake of it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I recently bought a house in a similar situation myself, I am currently not living there and only go there a few times per week to check on it, drop stuff there and put the heating on etc. Anyway the house next door is let-out by the room so there is four car owners and one drive way. You can guess what was happening, they were parking in my drive and across it as the house was empty for two years prior as the repossession order and legal stuff was sorted before I purchased. The girlfriend of one of the men next door was by far the worst offender as she would be a visitor to the house. I blocked her in one Friday evening for the whole weekend with my older car. It hasn't been happening since in a bit of a passive aggressive face-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Yes, I couldnt get my car out one day and I rang the Gardai.

They came within minutes and asked did I want it towed. They issued a parking fine and it was up to me if I wanted it towed. It had been blocked by a commuter and the Gardai couldnt contact him. I had to get out so I said, Yes, I want it towed, the Gardai called a tow truck and the car was gone within the hour. Owner arrived at 6.30 pm wanting to know where his car was, he said he hadnt been concentrating. I gave him the Garda Station number and shut the door.

I also had someone park so close to my back garden gate that I couldnt get my car out either. They didnt block the gate but it was clear I couldnt get past their car so the Gardai issued a ticket there too.

I would just ring the Gardai the next time, its an offence to block someones driveway so the sooner these horrible people are dealt with the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

No they are not dole heads. They are both teachers which makes it even more mind boggling how ignorant they are.

Urm.....

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Don't park in your driveway but park across it. That way they can't take that space. Leave your drive empty.

highly1111 wrote: »
    Don't park in your driveway but park across it. That way they can't take that space. Leave your drive empty.

People don't have a driveway to not use it.

Bottom line is that blocking someone elses drive way is not allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

OP may have two cars though and also may want her visitors to be able to park across her driveway when OPS car is where it should be, ie parked in her driveway with nothing blocking the exit.

Jesus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

So a one in a million chance rather than one in two million.

Source?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Lol they can't even deal with violent assaults and crime, unless you know one of them personally they will literally point and laugh at you. Their ineptitude is widely known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Alpha_zero wrote: »
    Lol they can't even deal with violent assaults and crime, unless you know one of them personally they will literally point and laugh at you. Their ineptitude is widely known.

Literally point and laugh?

Doubt that.

tretorn wrote: »
    OP may have two cars though and also may want her visitors to be able to park across her driveway when OPS car is where it should be, ie parked in her driveway with nothing blocking the exit.

OP says their problem is that they get blocked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭topnotch

OP, this thread has gone on long enough, you need to post a hillarious video like this guy from Tuam, courtesy of reddit. :pac:https://youtu.be/ff_1rt16wo4

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

topnotch wrote: »
    OP, this thread has gone on long enough, you need to post a hillarious video like this guy from Tuam, courtesy of reddit. :pac:https://youtu.be/ff_1rt16wo4

thats great road rage. cristopher will you sit in out of the rain. your goina get soaked. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Just reading this now. Wondering how everything ended..
    Similar problem here, is it OK not to start a new thread? Looking for advice. So fed up of having to knock on the asking for their visitors to move.
    I don't have a driveway, but have a parking spot. Unfortunately it is the corner of a square. So when guests are visiting the house on the other side of the corner, they park behind the residents car , perpendicular to my car blocking me in. Every time!!

Has anyone ever gotten a yellow box? And how?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

No they are not dole heads. They are both teachers which makes it even more mind boggling how ignorant they are.

Not realy ;)

Advertisement