Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Issue with neighbours parking

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Toots wrote: »
    If you said you were in Dublin I'd have thought you were one of my parents. Their neighbours are the same, pig ignorant and would never dream of blocking their own drive but constantly park across my parents'.

It would be worth having a chat with a local garda and seeing what they advise. My sister in law was in a similar situation only in her case the neighbour was refusing to move the car so she called the Gardai. Neighbour still refused to move it so the Garda said basically if it's not moved in the next 10 minutes it'll be on the back of a tow truck. Neighbour must have thought the garda was bluffing, until, sure enough, a tow truck arrived and the car was carted off. They've never blocked her drive again, but obviously they now absolutely hate my sister in law.

Sometimes hate is good!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭topnotch

I would avoid blocking or getting others to block their driveway, i think it totally undermines your position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Start parking in their driveway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

gk5000 wrote: »
    Is there some way you could block them in after they have blocked you in, say with a friends car, or by keeping your car outside when you expect them?
    Then just don't answer your door or move it, and leave them stuck all night.

That's a brilliant way of getting a message across when people use your driveway, I've done it before and never had to again. It's very hard to block a parallel parked car unless you can get in front of and behind it with two cars though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

What alternatives do you propose, if talking to the neighbours/ blockers doesn't work.

Wash their car for them while it's blocking your drive. Just to not create any friction like. Can't have friction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

It's different cars every time, not just one. Also, he gives grinds from his house so the drivers will abandon the car and either swan off into town or wait in his kitchen for the hour. So between friends, family and customers calling to the house next door we have been busy going back and over to the house. All of the rest of our neighbours couldnt be more courteous to us and vice versa. Its like they think they are above us by being so popular?! We have been on this street for decades so its upsetting that this is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

What alternatives do you propose, if talking to the neighbours/ blockers doesn't work.

Guards, signs, cones, call over when it's not blocked and ask nicely, but firmly, that they tell visitors not to park in front of the driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭holliehobbie

Say you'll report them to revenue for running a 'business' from their home?

Wash their car for them while it's blocking your drive. Just to not create any friction like. Can't have friction.

One extreme to the other, which no one is suggesting, but sure keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    It's different cars every time, not just one. Also, he gives grinds from his house so the drivers will abandon the car and either swan off into town or wait in his kitchen for the hour. So between friends, family and customers calling to the house next door we have been busy going back and over to the house. All of the rest of our neighbours couldnt be more courteous to us and vice versa. Its like they think they are above us by being so popular?! We have been on this street for decades so its upsetting that this is happening.

Time to get assertive . I personally would knock in when no one has parked there . Tell them you are sick and tired of their inconsiderate behaviour and you won't be tolerating it any longer and calling the Gardai next time it happens
    Tell them you have never seen such unneighbourly behaviour in all your years there
    Put them to shame

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Ring Revenue and report him, he may be declaring the income but then again maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

Can you get those stickers they use in car parks when someone parks illegally...the ones that are near impossible to get off?? That might stop it....2 or 3 on each car that blocks you.... or Vaseline on the windscreen....maybe put a sign up first and then they can't claim they weren't warned...

Another option, though may induce a neighbour war, would be those No Parking stickers that takes 3 months, 12 car washes and 6 hours of scraping to get fully off. They'll surely get the message but be prepared for a backlash.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It happened to us about ten years ago if anyone cares,

Day and night, no exit possible. Spoke to the neighbours, they were very kind and did try to ensure it wouldn't happen again, but it did, and they didn't care at the end of the day.

We parked over neighbour's driveway. And it worked.

Bullies and idiots should not win IMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

477292.jpgPrint out a few of these

I would go with putting out cones. After a while you will no longer need them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the following is not advice, just an anecdote.
    i once helped push a badly (i.e. inconsiderately) parked car out of the way. an important point to note was that this was at my brother's wedding (where i was best man) but one of his mates was in the special branch.
    whether it made a difference or not, he advised to get two people bouncing the front of the car, said it'd make it easier for those pushing. took about ten minutes, but we got the car moved enough to make the difference.
    the owner of said car arrived just as we were finishing the job, nose out of joint. a quick flash of the garda badge of sad friend above defused the situation.

however, going back to the situation above - talk to the gardai first. as mentioned, if there's any fallout, you will have come across as the reasonable, and wronged, party. it's harder to cast yourself as the wronged party if the first thing the gardai know about the situation is a complaint about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I would knock in and say it to them when there is no one parked there.

More in the way of a warning shot across the bow "you need to resolve the parking, as its not acceptable. Straight up.

Youve been more than patient. Id have been more direct. What part of stop blocking my drive doyou not understand.?

Friend gave me this advice " never be a lodger in your own home" i

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Can you park in your own gate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    It's different cars every time, not just one.

This is the bit I don’t get though, if it’s multiple cars, surely your neighbour isn’t instructing people to park there and just block the drive. So before the cones, revenge blocking their driveway, etc., is it just a design issue? I mean, I’ve been on roads/estates before where there’s a strip between driveways that looks like you’d fit a car into, but it wouldn’t hold anything longer than an Aygo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

I would ring the Gardai the next time you driveway is blocked and request that the car be towed.

The Gardai have done it for me and it was organised fairly quickly.

Tell the Gardai how long this is going on for, you could take photos each time your driveway is blocked, mention the grinds because its coming up to exam time now so he will have more and more students coming to the door.

I wonder could you find out who his house is insured with, he is running a business from the house so and probably hasnt told his insurance company either.

It sounds like you havent been assertive enough so they arent taking any notice of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Being nice hasn't worked so ramp it up. Don't be afraid to let a few fcuks out...

*Knock door*

"C'mere til I tell you...Every second fcuking day I'm over here because some fcuking eejit keeps parking across my driveway....You tell your visitors to park elsewhere because I've a pain in my fcuking arse coming here to get them to move. One more fcuking car parks there and the garda will be called and I don't give a flying fcuk if it's towed away, clamped or fcuking burned...No more...Do you understand?"

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

First night in our new house, back in '91, had to knock in next door to ask neighbour's relation to move his car so I could leave. No problem, "lovely to meet you etc". And so this continued on & off for years. One Saturday morning 6.30am , heading to work & the neighbour himself has my driveway blocked. Long ring of the doorbell, pal says "Oh yeah", not "Oh really sorry about that ". So, one night nearly 10 yrs ago, I went out & very calmly explained ( although underneath I was seething) that this nonsense stopped NOW, I'm not debating, negotiating etc. And it did, until the next time , when I contacted the Gardai, explained the situation etc. They called around, my driveway is no longer blocked but we definitely do not speak to said neighbours. But I don't care.
    One thing I would do prior to contacting the Gardai in this instance though, is take photos every time you're blocked. Build up a portfolio of instances, it's actually an offence under the Road Traffic Act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Guy across from me kept parking on my grass verge. He had 2 cars and wouldn't park in his driveway as it was a sloped driveway. I put stones on the verge, he moved them. I waited until he went out and parked up on his grass verge whenever I got the chance. He soon stopped when his grass became marked like mine.

Block his driveway.....

rushfan wrote: »
    First night in our new house, back in '91, had to knock in next door to ask neighbour's relation to move his car so I could leave. No problem, "lovely to meet you etc". And so this continued on & off for years. One Saturday morning 6.30am , heading to work & the neighbour himself has my driveway blocked. Long ring of the doorbell, pal says "Oh yeah", not "Oh really sorry about that ". So, one night nearly 10 yrs ago, I went out & very calmly explained ( although underneath I was seething) that this nonsense stopped NOW, I'm not debating, negotiating etc. And it did, until the next time , when I contacted the Gardai, explained the situation etc. They called around, my driveway is no longer blocked but we definitely do not speak to said neighbours. But I don't care.
    One thing I would do prior to contacting the Gardai in this instance though, is take photos every time you're blocked. Build up a portfolio of instances, it's actually an offence under the Road Traffic Act.

Spot on. If you block their drive, it is the very first thing that will be said if you later call the guards, despite the ratio of them doing it 20 times to your one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

topnotch wrote: »
    Spot on. If you block their drive, it is the very first thing that will be said if you later call the guards, despite the ratio of them doing it 20 times to your one.

The Guards ! Ha. They'll get the guys in the lab on it immediately. Hate to tell you but the Gardai are not in the slightest bit interested in this bumfluffery....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

No need to be so dismissive. ;)

But how do you get a clamper out at say this time of a Sunday night for example. Or any time as a non council hired person. Just wondered how successful it might be.

I found a number on the council website at the time. Reported someone parking across my drive blocking an energy exit. They were more than happy to tow it at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

How about a big steaming pile left on windscreen?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Is there anyway to put up a metal post or a bollard to physically prevent this happening?

As I understand it cars are on the street blocking access. Where are you suggesting the metal post should go? Can't put one on the street in front of your driveway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Tomw86

I would back up what has been said about taking pictures and evidencing the occurances.

If I came home and the neighbours were blocking my driveway, I would do the same to theirs.

When they call in to ask you to move, simply don't answer the door or tell them you're in the middle of something and you'll move it in about 15 minutes.

If that doesn't work and it continues then call the Gardaí with the evidence you have collected of them doing it. Please ignorance when they make the same claim about you.

Advertisement