Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Aviva - people going in and out during games

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

You could have drinking and non drinking sections. Handy if you are bringing kids too. Also you can charge extra for drinking seats, might as well milk the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Definitely think there is a legitimate argument for closing the bars 15 mins before the start of a match and leaving them closed until halftime.

It wasn't as bad in the 2nd half, presumably because the bars close before the end of the game.
    Does my head in. Stopped going to matches over it.
    I was at match on Saturday and had a gang of lads beside me at it. I asked them would they swap seats and they did and I can honestly say the second half was amazing - didn't have to get up once.

I suggest ask the people beside you to swap seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

The guys with the big boxes on their back usually sell 500ml plastic bottles of carlsberg for €6.50, which is more or less the same as a stick of henomite, when you factor in spillage etc. And there is rarely a queue of more than 4/5 people for them. I've never spent more than a few mins queuing for a drink in Aviva, although I wouldn't want to be going to the toilet at half time!
    Theyre different company to company who run the bars and yeah people rarely will go to them and will gravitate to bars for pints
    errlloyd wrote: »
    Tbh my match day experience at the Aviva is almost always superb. Considering its location and footprint it has very good bars, bathrooms etc.

Controversially I don't go to the game to watch the match. I can watch the game much much better at home. I go to the game to sing, drink, and sort of legitimise my obsession with a mere game by drawing on the fact there are thousands of others just like me.

Yes, getting up and down is annoying. And I'd be pissed if someone blocked my view consistently or became aggressively drunk. But I won't apologise for jumping up to tame a piss during a scrum!!
    Id be opposite you can see things live you'll never see on tv and thats why i try go as many games as possible
    You could have drinking and non drinking sections. Handy if you are bringing kids too. Also you can charge extra for drinking seats, might as well milk the problem
    Not ever going to happen and isnt necessary
    Does my head in. Stopped going to matches over it.
    I was at match on Saturday and had a gang of lads beside me at it. I asked them would they swap seats and they did and I can honestly say the second half was amazing - didn't have to get up once.

I suggest ask the people beside you to swap seats.
    If youve stopped going to games when there's lot more issues then....

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

The reason why people leave their seats regularly during rugby games is simple. Rugby is a bandwagon sport with many "followers" who don't know or care about the game. Many of those who attend games have no knowledge of the game, of players or indeed the rules. It's simply an occasion. This phenomenon does not exist in GAA or soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

TCM wrote: »
    The reason why people leave their seats regularly during rugby games is simple. Rugby is a bandwagon sport with many "followers" who don't know or care about the game. Many of those who attend games have no knowledge of the game, of players or indeed the rules. It's simply an occasion. This phenomenon does not exist in GAA or soccer.

As has been pointed out repeatedly; at soccer and GAA games you're not allowed to bring the drinks back to your seat. This is the issue.

If you were allowed to do that in soccer and GAA, you'd have the same issue. The reason why they don't allow it in soccer are obvious and unrelated but I have no idea why it's not allowed in GAA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommybojangles

troyzer wrote: »
    As has been pointed out repeatedly; at soccer and GAA games you're not allowed to bring the drinks back to your seat. This is the issue.

If you were allowed to do that in soccer and GAA, you'd have the same issue. The reason why they don't allow it in soccer are obvious and unrelated but I have no idea why it's not allowed in GAA.

I'd be fairly sure the reason for this thread is the reason it's not allowed in GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommybojangles

People can go and watch and enjoy it having a few pints?
    No drinks at seats means people will watch on screens while having their drinks.

That would be great

I'd be fairly sure the reason for this thread is the reason it's not allowed in GAA

Exactly. The only thing unique to rugby is that it allows it.

:rolleyes: ..... :pac:
    It very much exists with all sports in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 40 F.nelson

:rolleyes: ..... :pac:
    It very much exists with all sports in Ireland

People keep saying that in these threads but it's simply not true, if I go to the toilet during a soccer game it's like a ghost town behind the stands, a few stragglers getting a pint, simply not the case in rugby there's always a que at the bar

• Advertisement

F.nelson wrote: »
    People keep saying that in these threads but it's simply not true, if I go to the toilet during a soccer game it's like a ghost town behind the stands, a few stragglers getting a pint, simply not the case in rugby there's always a que at the bar

There are more corporate day trippers at rugby matches who do this. But I don't think anyone is complaining about the money they bring in.

F.nelson wrote: »
    It isnt. Depends on game though.
    There is plenty at bars for many of the soccer matches. When the irish goal was scored against Georgia last tuesday there were loads of fans out at concourse at the bars...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Not ever going to happen and isnt necessary

Didn't something like this happen at some Welsh Autumn international games? Not sure how successful it was; personally think it could be a good solution, but if ever introduced, you'd imagine it'd be to a very small subset of tickets / sections.

Really good idea. Who do we contact about this? I am sure if enough supporters do i, it might happen?

What about the Leinster supporters club?
    Contact groups yourself. You can surely come up with a list of groups to contact if you feel so strong about it. Shouldnt be that difficult to come up with a few groups to contact

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

..... It very much exists with all sports in Ireland

It most certainly does not. I'm a keen sports fan and attend rugby and soccer internationals + many games in croke park. From my long experience this behaviour is far more prevalent in rugby than soccer & simply does not happen at gaa games.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

It most certainly does not. I'm a keen sports fan and attend rugby and soccer internationals + many games in croke park. From my long experience this behaviour is far more prevalent in rugby than soccer & simply does not happen at gaa games.

Because it can't happen at soccer or gaa games. You're not allowed bring drink into your seat. It's pretty simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,390 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Really good idea. Who do we contact about this? I am sure if enough supporters do i, it might happen?

What about the Leinster supporters club? Actually, since this topic has come up several times is there anyone from the Leinster Supporters club who could comment on this?

Given Guinness and Heineken are the title sponsors of the two competitions Leinster play in, I can't see this ever happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Given Guinness and Heineken are the title sponsors of the two competitions Leinster play in, I can't see this ever happening.

unkess we end up like France with no alcohol in grounds

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Riskymove wrote: »
    unkess we end up like France with no alcohol in grounds

There’s no alcohol sponsorship but alcohol is served in grounds in France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Seriously Irish people do like to complain....

If I do go to a game now I like to enjoy a beer or two with my mates. Are people saying now we are not welcome to drink a beer at the game? I do make sure when possible if booking tickets we get the seats on the end so as not to disturb people but really do we need a thread to moan about people enjoying a few beers at a game?

You will get beer banned and then start a thread about the lack of beers at the game.

The Aviva did offer a service to prebook beers to speed up service but not sure if people used it? so I dont know if available anymore.

Non-drinking sections....your having a laugh, God you really would be drawing the short straw and getting stuck in that section. All it would be full of is people who asked there mate to buy a ticket and they stuck them into it.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Jewelers

Kevski wrote: »
    There’s no alcohol sponsorship but alcohol is served in grounds in France.

it is alco free piss in stade has this changed ?

Maybe in soccer but really you would want to hate someone to subject them to an Irish international

In GAA my wife has come with me numerous times over the year to Croker for the occasion and the atmosphere. No idea about rules or anything but will go.

This bandwagon thing is quite funny.....you don't think it happen in soccer? look at the Aviva now for a soccer game, place is dead half the time. See them win a few games or get to a competition and half the country are suddenly "the real fans"

Same in GAA, my current county is not a big one in terms of GAA. Match on place is dead, you wouldnteven know a game on. They got to Croker a few years back, the county was dead for the day and everyone spent the day on beer before and after.....sound like a bandwagon to me?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Jewelers wrote: »
    it is alco free piss in stade has this changed ?

Yes, rule changed in Paris last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Shefwedfan wrote: »

If I do go to a game now I like to enjoy a beer or two with my mates. Are people saying now we are not welcome to drink a beer at the game? I do make sure when possible if booking tickets we get the seats on the end so as not to disturb people but really do we need a thread to moan about people enjoying a few beers at a game?

You will get beer banned and then start a thread about the lack of beers at the game.

The Aviva did offer a service to prebook beers to speed up service but not sure if people used it? so I dont know if available anymore.

Non-drinking sections....your having a laugh, God you really would be drawing the short straw and getting stuck in that section. All it would be full of is people who asked there mate to buy a ticket and they stuck them into it.....

Not looking for beer to be banned. I enjoy a pint as much as anyone else. Mind you, I refuse to queue for more than 5 minutes for a pint.

I've no issue with people bringing drink into the stands I would just like to see some controls put in place to minimise disruption because I feel that it's just plain bad manners, it's disruptive and ruins the overall experience.

There was people sitting in my row, and they were in and out 3 times in the 1st half. And then once early in the 2nd half. It's only 40mins a half. Saturday's game was phenomenal - why wouldn't any rugby fan be glued to their seat?

I'm still struggling to understand why people €60+ for a ticket to spend a significant portion of the match queueing at the bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

People need to grow up and join the real world where things have to be paid for.

The money that IRFU make from beer and food concessions is a big part of its budget. You take that away and you have to either raise ticket prices or you cut spending. That's the bottom line.

Or we could just tolerate this minor minor minor inconvenience and realise that games in the Aviva subsidise the other 90% of the season.

I think if a bunch of people were having a few beers in a cinema and kept asking people to get up during the movie, people would rightly complain.

So why shouldn't those of us who want to watch the match feel we can't complain? Are we not allowed be really interested in the match.

You are trying to compare going to the cinema and a rugby match? :p

There were really exciting moments in the all blacks match and same happened. Some people have
    * no sense of passion and excitement
    * no sense when others have a sense of passion and excitement

The real rugby fans are too polite and we shouldn't put up with this

The whole point of a game is the atmosphere. Different people from all walks of life watching the same game....

Based on your requirements, you want 40k robots that react the way you want them to and if they dont you will complain

Sound awful to me to be honest.....

Not sure why you classify that as "real rugby fans", am I not a real rugby fan because I enjoy a beer at the game and I don't really mind people going for a beer and shock horror, using the toilet

Feck all use the app to pre book beers even though you can skip queues. Its called rapid queue and few use it...
    Not looking for beer to be banned. I enjoy a pint as much as anyone else. Mind you, I refuse to queue for more than 5 minutes for a pint.

I've no issue with people bringing drink into the stands I would just like to see some controls put in place to minimise disruption because I feel that it's just plain bad manners, it's disruptive and ruins the overall experience.

There was people sitting in my row, and they were in and out 3 times in the 1st half. And then once early in the 2nd half. It's only 40mins a half. Saturday's game was phenomenal - why wouldn't any rugby fan be glued to their seat?

I'm still struggling to understand why people €60+ for a ticket to spend a significant portion of the match queueing at the bar.
    People go to games for many reasons. Often they can be given tickets and its there for social occasion/event as much as anything else.
    I think if a bunch of people were having a few beers in a cinema and kept asking people to get up during the movie, people would rightly complain.

So why shouldn't those of us who want to watch the match feel we can't complain? Are we not allowed be really interested in the match.
    You cant at all compare going to a cinema to a rugby game.
    It very much happens at soccer games as for example last tuesday in the aviva when ireland got their goal there were loads and loads of people who only saw the goal on the tv screens on concourse as they were at the bars.
    Maybe in soccer but really you would want to hate someone to subject them to an Irish international

In GAA my wife has come with me numerous times over the year to Croker for the occasion and the atmosphere. No idea about rules or anything but will go.

This bandwagon thing is quite funny.....you don't think it happen in soccer? look at the Aviva now for a soccer game, place is dead half the time. See them win a few games or get to a competition and half the country are suddenly "the real fans"

Same in GAA, my current county is not a big one in terms of GAA. Match on place is dead, you wouldnteven know a game on. They got to Croker a few years back, the county was dead for the day and everyone spent the day on beer before and after.....sound like a bandwagon to me?????
    The word bandwagon should stop being used. Everyones a fan. Doesnt matter what extent they are.
    There were really exciting moments in the all blacks match and same happened. Some people have
    * no sense of passion and excitement
    * no sense when others have a sense of passion and excitement

The real rugby fans are too polite and we shouldn't put up with this
    How the feck do you determine a persons sense of passion/excitement then Tim?
    And tim do you want robots who all act/watch games in the exact same fashion then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Acosta

I wish people would just call it Lansdowne Road.

• Advertisement

Is there anything in life you'd like to see, movie in a cinema, kids in school show where if you were asked approx every 5 mins to stand up you'd find annoying?

I don't know.

But just try to understand some of us like to get every moment of that game. Watching players take up spaces, reactions to big hits, fielding of the balls - there's a countless amount of things that real fans just love every second of.

Maybe there's something out there you feel like. Maybe it's a porno? I don't know. There must be something you are truely passionate about? Surely?

Sorry I don't understand why you refer to yourself as a "real fan". In your eyes you are....

If you really can't enjoy the company of other people at a large social occasion like a rugby match I would suggest watching it at home.

Normally when I go to the game I record it at home, no matter who moves in the stadium you will not be able to watch to the detail you describe. That the point of the live match. If you want to analyze the cr*p out of it then record it. Then enjoy the actually game in the stadium, the buzz, the atmosphere etc

Any of the games I go to, I love the banter with fans around me, that is part of the live event....even better when you have rival fans mixed in, one of th ebest games was in 2011 at the Heneiken cup final, we had a mixture of English/French/Welsh etc all sitting around us and the banter was unreal....that's why people attend rugby match's.....

Advertisement