Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Aviva - people going in and out during games

• 31-03-2019 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭

Firstly, I have to say that the atmosphere at yesterday's game was easily the best I've ever experienced at a football/rugby match. The only thing that takes away from it is the constant stream of people going in and out to the bars during the match. Been at 2 matches in the Aviva this year so far and numerous occasions over the years but I would say the issue seems to be getting progressively worse.

My tickets cost €60, why would you pay such money for a ticket to spend your time queueing at the bar for pissy pints in a plastic cup instead of watching a truly outstanding game? I saw one guy on FB saying his son spent 40 mins queueing (including the half time break), why would anyone bother?

There was two lads beside us, who were out 3 times during the game. That's basically 30 mins of an 80 minute game. I can't make sense of it. It was the same for the 6N, even though tickets are nearly twice the price.

You also have people coming back in from the bar who seem incapable of following the letters on the ground with the row where their seats are and stand there blocking peoples view.

Definitely think there is a legitimate argument for closing the bars 15 mins before the start of a match and leaving them closed until halftime.

It wasn't as bad in the 2nd half, presumably because the bars close before the end of the game.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭testtech05

While I agree with you I don't think it will change any time soon. The Aviva is taking in too much money from it to stop it.

On the point of why people do it, I think more and more people are just going to rugby for the event/to say they were there/posts on Instagram etc.

You see loads of people who are at the games who don't even watch half of it messing with their phones etc when not going to the bar.

Best to just try and ignore it and enjoy the game yourself or at least that's what I do. Each to their own and all that....

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I thought the pints were lovely in the AVIVA.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

This has been done to death, it is a bit annoying and inconsiderate imo but it isn't going to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,751 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Happens at all big events in stadiums/arenas etc. So irritating. Worse is the people who seem too walk into the wrong row/section and block views. Dont get me started on people going down the front of the sections too take selfies

Was at the soccer during the week and ur not allowed bring drink out into ur seat

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is there some reason they don't have beer sellers in the stands?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Happens at all big events in stadiums/arenas etc. So irritating. Worse is the people who seem too walk into the wrong row/section and block views. Dont get me started on people going down the front of the sections too take selfies

Why do you bother going?
    PTH2009 wrote: »
    Was at the soccer during the week and ur not allowed bring drink out into ur seat

That's not a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

testtech05 wrote: »
    Best to just try and ignore it and enjoy the game yourself or at least that's what I do. Each to their own and all that....

Unfortunately we had aisle seats in a block of seats in the in-goal area so we were trying to view the game at an angle.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I went out twice in the game. Both times to use the toilet. But I waited until there was a gap in play or others were going out. I also purposefully got seats two or three in from the edge so that I would minimise disruption to others (I need access to the loo).

What worried me yesterday was how dangerous it was getting out of the stadium from the south stand lower. There was lots of shoving and pushing and only one door was open. I didn't feel safe at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Yesterday was a bit mad for this. People were turning up 10-15 minutes into the game.

As said above the Aviva makes a lot of money out of it so it will never change.

My tactics are buy two pints/and food if I'm hungry before the game and that does me for the match, go to the toilet at half time and that way you don't have to get up to annoy anyone.

Ultimately everyone has paid for their tickets so they can do what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Most people today don't seem capable of sitting and watching something for more than 10 minutes without needing to stuff food in their face or drink. It happens in all sports now, even things like gymnastics. Went to see my niece competing a while back and it was people getting up and down the entire time. It was honestly draining all the getting up and down. Missed entire routines because of it, including loads of my niece's floor. Seems a horrible lack of manners to me to be expecting people to stand up to let you past multiple times while you faff around with getting food and drinks. Fair enough if you need a wee, but all the up and down is just blocking people's view and spoiling it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Health and safety I imagine. If there's an emergency and people need to evacuate then sellers in the stands would be a hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Firstly, I have to say that the atmosphere at yesterday's game was easily the best I've ever experienced at a football/rugby match. The only thing that takes away from it is the constant stream of people going in and out to the bars during the match. Been at 2 matches in the Aviva this year so far and numerous occasions over the years but I would say the issue seems to be getting progressively worse.

My tickets cost €60, why would you pay such money for a ticket to spend your time queueing at the bar for pissy pints in a plastic cup instead of watching a truly outstanding game? I saw one guy on FB saying his son spent 40 mins queueing (including the half time break), why would anyone bother?

There was two lads beside us, who were out 3 times during the game. That's basically 30 mins of an 80 minute game. I can't make sense of it. It was the same for the 6N, even though tickets are nearly twice the price.

You also have people coming back in from the bar who seem incapable of following the letters on the ground with the row where their seats are and stand there blocking peoples view.

Definitely think there is a legitimate argument for closing the bars 15 mins before the start of a match and leaving them closed until halftime.

It wasn't as bad in the 2nd half, presumably because the bars close before the end of the game.
    There isnt a chance you could close the bars before hand for any game. People would simply stay outside and drink elsewhere and come in late and that causes its own issues.
    And leaving bars closed till halftime would just make half time even worse. You had people complaining about the pints they got yesterday(same as any very busy match day) complaining about the pre pours... ridiculous to expect anything less when crowds are that big
    Not allowed. Risk. There was people selling bottles of beer not at the bars but all over the concourse but the majority dont go to them and are looking for pints

• Registered Users Posts: 37,751 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Was in the front of sec 528 Tuesday last and the barrier is actually pretty small and would be quite easy too get pushed over it. A group of 5 Georgian supporters all came down the front one with a big backpack and all stood in front of the glass

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I took the wife to that game last night (happy mother's day) and after 15 mins she asked me "do loads of people just come to drink and have no real interest in the game"?
    To be fair there was 3 lads in front of us and id say between the 3 of them they were up and down 10 - 12;times!!
    Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

mfceiling wrote: »
    I took the wife to that game last night (happy mother's day) and after 15 mins she asked me "do loads of people just come to drink and have no real interest in the game"?
    To be fair there was 3 lads in front of us and id say between the 3 of them they were up and down 10 - 12;times!!
    Each to their own.

That's how it feels alright. I don't understand the mentality of bothering to go to a match and then miss half of it because you're queueing at the bar. Would it not be cheaper and easier to just go to the pub for a few pints? I'd be embarrassed about getting up more than once during a match, and feel bad for inconveniencing all the people getting up for me, and those behind me whose view I'm blocking. But for most people these days, it seems it's 'me, me, me'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

testtech05 wrote: »

On the point of why people do it, I think more and more people are just going to rugby for the event/to say they were there/posts on Instagram etc.

On this, I was talking to my partner about this after the game and she pointed out that if you look at the people doing it. None of them are wearing any club merchandise. Most of the supporters who go to games regularly will have at least hats or scarves if not Jersey’s, fleeces etc... Think it’s mostly day trippers who are just there for the pints. It’s annoying but it’s never going to change. Part of the price of success.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

sullivlo wrote: »
    I went out twice in the game. Both times to use the toilet. But I waited until there was a gap in play or others were going out. I also purposefully got seats two or three in from the edge so that I would minimise disruption to others (I need access to the loo).

What worried me yesterday was how dangerous it was getting out of the stadium from the south stand lower. There was lots of shoving and pushing and only one door was open. I didn't feel safe at all.

I always wait until crowds start spreading out before heading off. Otherwise it's just a lot of uncomfortable shuffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

It's something that happens at pretty much any large sporting event, and even concerts.

Not allowing drink back to the stands just leaves crowds of people standing beside the bar watching the match on a TV screen as they drink their pints, as can be seen across loads of premiership football stadiums and even the Aviva for Ireland matches.

You're always going to get a sizeable amount of people who are along for the occasion as opposed to the actual match. It can also be just luck of the draw too, I've been at a couple of games where nobody's moved other than at half time, and then others where it's been a group of lads back and forth with pints in a continuous supply.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

stephen_n wrote: »
    On this, I was talking to my partner about this after the game and she pointed out that if you look at the people doing it. None of them are wearing any club merchandise. Most of the supporters who go to games regularly will have at least hats or scarves if not Jersey’s, fleeces etc... Think it’s mostly day trippers who are just there for the pints. It’s annoying but it’s never going to change. Part of the price of success.

They could have other things they are going to or came from.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Thats not the case at all. It was as much regulars/season ticket holders going to bar etc
    It's something that happens at pretty much any large sporting event, and even concerts.

Not allowing drink back to the stands just leaves crowds of people standing beside the bar watching the match on a TV screen as they drink their pints, as can be seen across loads of premiership football stadiums and even the Aviva for Ireland matches.

You're always going to get a sizeable amount of people who are along for the occasion as opposed to the actual match. It can also be just luck of the draw too, I've been at a couple of games where nobody's moved other than at half time, and then others where it's been a group of lads back and forth with pints in a continuous supply.
    Yeah. was like that Tuesday night in the Aviva for the soccer same yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Haven't been back to the Aviva since the England game and wont be anytime soon for this exact reason. The no drinks outside rule works just fine in Croke Park.

Personal lowlight for me was the lad who told his friend to wait until the second half started to go out so there be less of a queue. I mean what's the f****** point of being there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

That's why I'll always prefer terrace. If you leave for a pint you won't get back to your spot/people won't let you back in. Even at Connacht matches when people go for pints it's far less frequent than a seated section.

They should ban people who moan about this. Problem solved.

Haven't been back to the Aviva since the England game and wont be anytime soon for this exact reason. The no drinks outside rule works just fine in Croke Park.

Personal lowlight for me was the lad who told his friend to wait until the second half started to go out so there be less of a queue. I mean what's the f****** point of being there?
    People can go and watch and enjoy it having a few pints?
    No drinks at seats means people will watch on screens while having their drinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Jewelers

People can go and watch and enjoy it having a few pints?
    No drinks at seats means people will watch on screens while having their drinks.

great they won't annoy the **** out of people going in and out every 15 mins so

Jewelers wrote: »
    great they won't annoy the **** out of people going in and out every 15 mins so
    Wont ever happen in any of the stadiums for rugby games though unless there is a drastic change in behaviour of people
    And it will still see plenty of people going in/out

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The guys with the big boxes on their back usually sell 500ml plastic bottles of carlsberg for €6.50, which is more or less the same as a stick of henomite, when you factor in spillage etc. And there is rarely a queue of more than 4/5 people for them. I've never spent more than a few mins queuing for a drink in Aviva, although I wouldn't want to be going to the toilet at half time!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

I've been to a few events in the States where even greater amounts of food / booze are consumed. The steward will always make you wait in the stairwell until there's a stoppage in play before letting you back up to your seats. Something similar in the Aviva might help reduce disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Flincher wrote: »
    I've been to a few events in the States where even greater amounts of food / booze are consumed. The steward will always make you wait in the stairwell until there's a stoppage in play before letting you back up to your seats. Something similar in the Aviva might help reduce disruption.

Stoppages in play are more clearly defined in American sports due to TV timeouts or the end of an inning in the case of baseball. While I would be in favour of it, I'm not sure it's workable in rugby. It also creates a point of conflict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Tbh my match day experience at the Aviva is almost always superb. Considering its location and footprint it has very good bars, bathrooms etc.

Controversially I don't go to the game to watch the match. I can watch the game much much better at home. I go to the game to sing, drink, and sort of legitimise my obsession with a mere game by drawing on the fact there are thousands of others just like me.

Yes, getting up and down is annoying. And I'd be pissed if someone blocked my view consistently or became aggressively drunk. But I won't apologise for jumping up to tame a piss during a scrum!!

Advertisement