Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Discovery ***Season 2*** [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Aww what- Anson Mount is leaving? That's something I didn't know, he's fantastic in the role. What's the reason for leaving?

rough guess his story will close out on the Disco, moved back to Enterprise while saving Discovery and helping them jump the Red Angel into future or mirror universe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

BrookieD wrote: »
    “We are entirely aware of everyone’s questions and criticisms; I’ve read everything, and I see where everyone’s like, ‘Well, the spore drive never existed!’ and ‘What, Discovery was never around!’ and all of those things, we’re totally aware. You will get an answer,” exec producer Alex Kurtzman told SYFY WIRE. But will that answer be satisfying? “I damn well think so, yes.”

A lot of those questions don't need to be answered, or certainly aren't the canon issues they're made out to be. I think it's great that Kurtzman wants to listen to the fans, but he also has to creatively lead and I hope he does so in S3. Any show or film that gives the fans exactly what they say they want will be terrible.

Imagine if we got the Trek that Midnight's Edge, MechaRandom and Nerdrotic actually say they want (oh and our own _Kaiser_, too). I would barf, and they would still complain anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Aww what- Anson Mount is leaving? That's something I didn't know, he's fantastic in the role. What's the reason for leaving?
    Canon, I suppose.

Pike is the captain of the Enterprise and only took command of Disco while the Enterprise was being repaired.

I did feel like the circumstances of getting him on board were a bit contrived - "The comms system malfunction means the entire ship is in drydock for the next six months" - but I suspect we'll find out that the ship was sabotaged by Spock or the red angel. Either to prevent it from chasing Spock, or to get Pike onto Discovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

seamus wrote: »
    Canon, I suppose.

Pike is the captain of the Enterprise and only took command of Disco while the Enterprise was being repaired.

AFAIK, there's not much in the established canon which says he must be on Enterprise for the next few years at least.

He was commanding the Enterprise during The Cage "3 years ago" and Kirk will take over command of the Enterprise from him in "7 years" (or thereabouts) but otherwise he's free to roam, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,276 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Pike has been a real good Captain though. Really believes in the ideals and principles of the Federation

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement

I spend far too much time on Memory Alpha because of this forum :)

It seemed to have been established in The Menagerie that Kirk took over directly from Pike, and the incident happened 13 years prior.

So the "3 years ago" bit works because The Menagerie happens about ten years after the current events of Disco.

But at the same time there are other things that don't match up - in The Menagerie Spock says he worked under Pike for 11.5 years. Which means that either Spock takes an extended break in service (maybe that's what he's doing now?), or the dates don't work because Spock couldn't have been on Talos during the original incident.

I think it would probably make more sense (and avoid the wailing) if they didn't try to shoehorn Pike onto Discovery for two or three years. But I can certainly see him being a frequently recurring character.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭corkie

@seamus I think your getting events and times confused?
    incident happened 13 years prior.

The Talosian incident ???, Kirk didn't take over after incident but latter?

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Christopher_Pike

• Registered Users Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Talosian incident.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

corkie wrote: »
    @seamus I think your getting events and times confused?

The Talosian incident ???, Kirk didn't take over after incident but latter?

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Christopher_Pike
    The original incident apparently happened in 2254. He's on Discovery 3 years later (2257) and then The Menagerie is in 2267. Kirk took over in 2265.

So aside from Spock in 2267 saying that he served under Pike for 11.5 years, the writers do seem to have matched up their timings correctly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,951 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Martin-Green apparently in line for costarring role in Space Jam 2 (yes, really). Wonder might that affect her availability for season 3. One can hope!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

As I understand it, the intention was always to have a different captain every season.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Martin-Green apparently in line for costarring role in Space Jam 2 (yes, really). Wonder might that affect her availability for season 3. One can hope!

It's not that I dislike her or the silly name. I'd just prefer more focus on other characters. Have more episodes about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I prefer self contained watchable in themselves trek episodes rather than a series. DS9 was a series but Voyager, TNG, had self contained episodes, mostly. Watchable in themselves without having to have watched the previous episode.

You can't go back and watch one episode of Disco and follow what is going on (unless you followed it religiously in the first place) but with Voyager you can , and I do that time to time. Just watched Voyager "Counterpoint" the other day and throughly enjoyed it. All you need to know with Voyager is that they are tying to make their way home to earth. Voyager was my favorite incarnation for partly that reason but I do think DS9 was better as far as the narrative goes.

I think Disoc was all over the place in Season 1 but it's better in Season 2. Both arise in me feelings it's crap and other times it's fantastic. Will keep watching to see where this goes. Better some trek than no trek at all I feel.

But a few things get perpetually on my nerves though:

1.Tilly

I know that Star Trek has always been about all races (inclusivity) but it goes a bit far to be inclusive of all personality types. The idea that Tilly is both a ditsy blabbering personalty with big fiery red curly hair and at the same time is a brilliant scientific engineer genius, doesn't work for me, even in the future. It's kinda like they are saying that anyone can be a scientific genius engineer. Nah. Nurds are nurds and they look like nurds because they don't care about their physical appearance. And where is the dress code rule gone when it comes to her hair?

2. Letterbox video format

It's not a movie. It's meant for TV. On TV screens which aren't cinema aspect ratio.

3. OTT visuals.

No I'm not talking about all this advanced looking technology in comparison to the original Star Trek series. It's all the strobe lighting effect that you see especially on the bridge. It's just silly. Fine in movies but totally OTT in a TV series.

4. I was going to moan about the silver android robot? who turned out to be half human but she's gone now. I would moan though that she didn't have any significant part to play at all and then in one episode she all kicked off. I'm guessing here she was written out as a completely useless character?

So overall I find it bad and good at the same time. Is that a fair assessment? I'm watching though so that speaks for itself. I wonder what the ratings are like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

The letterboxing is ridiculous as you're basically losing a big chunk of the vast majority of televisions.

Why produce something for a format that nobody currently uses and on most TVs the Netflix app seems to disable the TVs ability to smart scale the video so you're stuck with it.

16:9 is the default format for every TV and the vast majority of panels used as monitors.

Short of projection it into a home cinema system, nobody is going to be watching this without letterboxing.

They even shot Season 2 in a wider ratio than season 1!!

It's gone from 2:1 to 2.4:1 for some reason.

4. maybe she comes back ? We thought Captain Philippa Georgiou was done for, having been dined on by Klingons but her parallel universe self has ended up being one of the most interesting and developed recurring characters in the whole series.

The obvious story line, like Vger or the sentient missile AI plots of older series, is that they shot a memory impared Commander Airiam into space having declared her dead and she somehow encounters Control again and voilà : we have the Borg.

Maybe she even comes back angry that they didn't bother trying very hard to repair her. Despite everything there was a bit of a "oh well... Let's just wipe her harddrive and not make any significant attempt to reboot her despite having all this amazing technology and having a doctor who's been back from the dead."

Could we see echoes of that episode where angry old and powerful Kes came back, only Commander Airiam in Borg form with a notion of assimilating the bloody lot of them?

One thing I am liking about Mirror Georgiou is showing that the "evil" does seem to be environmental and not inbuilt, in the person (sure she is still an evil witch but you can see she is appreciating parts of the prime civility)

OK and now for the reason this is important...

So we see evil Terran empire in TOS and we are supposed to feel sorry for them in DS9 mirror episodes. What is to stop Smiley going all evil again, once he has the Defiant tech?
    Showing that the people are not born evil is why. It shows that they are a product of their culture and NOT inherently psychotic, sentient race eating, backstabbing megalomaniacs.

Or by the end of the season she is back to scenery chewing and "moustache twirling" Empress again and all this goes out the window

One thing I am liking about Mirror Georgiou is showing that the "evil" does seem to be environmental and not inbuilt, in the person (sure she is still an evil witch but you can see she is appreciating parts of the prime civility)

OK and now for the reason this is important...

So we see evil Terran empire in TOS and we are supposed to feel sorry for them in DS9 mirror episodes. What is to stop Smiley going all evil again, once he has the Defiant tech?
    Showing that the people are not born evil is why. It shows that they are a product of their culture and NOT inherently psychotic, sentient race eating, backstabbing megalomaniacs.

Or by the end of the season she is back to scenery chewing and "moustache twirling" Empress again and all this goes out the window

Do you not bow before your Empress?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,951 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno where I stand on Georgiou; every time I see her I'm reminded that CBS are angling after a spin-off show. I'm not openly opposed to the idea & certainly 'bad guys' turned good can always make for interesting narratives, but as bloodied hands go, hers must be drenched and to an extent that'd make even Game of Thrones rulers say "steady on luv".

If anything, Lorca would have made the more appropriate redemptive arc, but that about turn, and his sudden descent into moustache-twirling villainy, ruined all the good work done up to that point in Season 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm calling it: Giorgiou manages to retrieve the magic plot device suit and travels hundreds of years back in time to become Xena the warrior princess. Oh and Michael does a Michael Jackson on it and becomes Gabrielle.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Oh she is beyond redemption BUT it just shows that the terrans are not "born" evil. Makes Smiley's crew actually have a sympathetic story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,724 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

We all know that no one is born evil the same way as no one is born to hate. They are things that people are thought unfortunately or they accept as normal if that is the way of their culture to survive.

AMKC wrote: »
    We all know that no one is born evil the same way as no one is born to hate. They are things that people are thought unfortunately or they accept as normal if that is the way of their culture to survive.

Hate and evil are too different things. Philosophers smarter than I have debated the genesis of evil in someone.

They're obviously deliberately making Georgiou enigmatic. It's clear that there was a very strong relationship with Mirror Burnham, which has carried over. And in general she she seems to have respect for bad people who've turned good, like Ash. Maybe that's because she doesn't see them as a threat.

Tbh, virtually all of her interactions that seem "nice", can be spun as Georgiou following a personal agenda. Either being nice to prevent someone (Burnham) from turning into a threat, or protecting them from someone else (Leland) who is a threat to her.

Considering that she's played by a high profile actress, who many would have considered to be above a minor role of Star Trek, I think they've managed to land a bit of a Patrick Stewart style casting only the Emperor is like the anti-Picard.

Anteayer wrote: »
    Considering that she's played by a high profile actress, who many would have considered to be above a minor role of Star Trek, I think they've managed to land a bit of a Patrick Stewart style casting only the Emperor is like the anti-Picard.

The easy question I always ask is: Is she a fan?
    Whoopi Goldberg was one of the biggest stars of the 80's and was fresh from an Oscar win (and another in a few years) and went looking for a recurring role.
    So much a star that they ignored the request, thinking it a prank. This was before season 1, through LeVar.
    She ended up making direct contact with Rodenberry and Berman's office to force the point home after season 1.

Christian Slater was a big deal and begged for a cameo in one of the films. Look at the amount of cameos done, just to be on the show. Best has to be Frank Langella just because his kids were fans. Think that he went uncredited and everything, to show it was not him doing a slot for money or exposure but for his kids.

Edit: I am honestly amazed that Tom Hanks has not appeared, yet. The man is an absolute Trek nerd and has tried, several times, to clear time to get on the show.

Just read there that Goldberg is interested in being in the Picard show. If it does finally make it to air, she is one previous character who would fit in easily. She and Picard are not Starfleet colleagues, they are friends.
    It would not take "creative" writing and circumstance to arrange her to be in the show, as opposed to characters who should/would be hundreds of light years apart with their own commands/postings.

So do we know if next week's episode 13 is a double header? 14 always seemed like an uncommon number and it feels like next week is the finale (going by the trailer), so curious if technically we're getting a feature-length episode next week

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

pixelburp wrote: »
    So do we know if next week's episode 13 is a double header? 14 always seemed like an uncommon number and it feels like next week is the finale (going by the trailer), so curious if technically we're getting a feature-length episode next week

Not according to IMDb, which says episode 14 is airing the week after (the 18th).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Saw this on Twitter:

D0i_AvfX0AcUnEX.jpg

They're talking about
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Some things never change :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Goodshape wrote: »
    Some things never change :)

Without a doubt, there are first-generation Trekkies who regard everything after season 3 of TOS to be non-canon.

To think of all they've missed or dismissed these 50 years.... but yeah let's freak out over the, what, fourth re-design of the Klingons and the swept-back nacelle pylons?

Advertisement