Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TII Motorway Service Areas (MSA) Progress Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

secman wrote: »
    Still being frantically worked on, McDonald's won't be open until a later date, they do their own shopfitting and install, not part of the current fitout package.

I think a similar McDonalds that was in partnership with Circle K in Fermoy also didn't open until ages ( a year?) after the actual the service station opened.

Impressed that the Gorey MSS is opening in Q1 after all. I thought it was going to be much later.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

BIGT4464 wrote: »
    Many car Chargers?

I'm getting an electric car so am interested to know the answer to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭serfboard

ongarboy wrote: »
    Impressed that the Gorey MSS is opening in Q1
    Just about!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,149 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

ongarboy wrote: »
    I think a similar McDonalds that was in partnership with Circle K in Fermoy also didn't open until ages ( a year?) after the actual the service station opened.

Impressed that the Gorey MSS is opening in Q1 after all. I thought it was going to be much later.

In Fermoy it opened in March and McDonalds opened in December!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Its known as the Gorey motorway service centre,yet its nearer to Arklow

Gorey by pass so Gorey Services

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

vicwatson wrote: »
    Gorey by pass so Gorey Services

Aye geography
    1 mile south of the arklow town boundary your address is Gorey co wexford(8 miles away)
    The biggest casualty of this might be pierces now canavans shop in Inch,though I think it'll be ok it has a strong local clientele

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

spacetweek wrote: »
    I'm getting an electric car so am interested to know the answer to this?

4, according to the promo email today. No indication of which technologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Cones are gone at Gorey so it must be open now or very soon.

Edit - billboard on the road in to Gorey saying open 28th alright.

_

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Kevtherev1

Cones are gone at Gorey so it must be open now or very soon.

Edit - billboard on the road in to Gorey saying open 28th alright.

_

Cool so the Infamous Gorey Motorway Services Area is now OPEN, people who go there write up a short review and maybe a photo here.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭badgerbroc11

Kevtherev1 wrote: »
    Cool so the Infamous Gorey Motorway Services Area is now OPEN, people who go there write up a short review and maybe a photo here.

Has to say that it is an impressive premises. The McDonald's still has boarding around it and not open yet. As you would expect on day 1 a few glitches this morning with card payments and fuel at the pump

• Advertisement

Looks impressive. Bigger than I thought it was going to be but apparently the Wicklow people said it was biggest Circle K in the country or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,622 ✭✭✭✭josip

Was there a discount on fuel or something today?
    How did all those drivers in photo 4& 5 make it up and down the coast before it was open?
    Yer wan behind the counter in Photo 2 wasn't happy about the pic either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭stesaurus

josip wrote: »
    Was there a discount on fuel or something today?
    How did all those drivers in photo 4& 5 make it up and down the coast before it was open?
    Yer wan behind the counter in Photo 2 wasn't happy about the pic either.

10c off all fuels for the day. Although it looks like I got free fuel. My fuel card declined twice at the pay at pump so went in store to pay. Manager at the till said it wasn't showing up so to head off and say nothing. Be grand until the guards show up at my door!
    Another lad had €300 worth of fuel and inside wouldn't take his fuel card either. Wonder will he get away with that?

I've heard McDonald's is another few months away but should be open by the summer. I'm just glad there's other choices than Applegreen with their BK and Subways.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Kevtherev1

Has to say that it is an impressive premises. The McDonald's still has boarding around it and not open yet. As you would expect on day 1 a few glitches this morning with card payments and fuel at the pump

Fabulous pictures badger, thank you for posting them. The place looks great, lots of food selection and massive space for the convenience store.

I saw on facebook a post a person said summer for Mcdonalds to open at Gorey. At least it open now for commuters to use. And Gorey MSA essential for servicing traffic on the new M11 Enniscorthy section in July.

I will check the place out myself in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I imagine plenty of truck parking spaces here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

It's up on Google Earth. The overhead image has been slotted in, but it's not on street view.

It's up on Google Earth. The overhead image has been slotted in, but it's not on street view.

Huge site.

shb91BY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

Huge site.

It doesn't look to be twice the size of the T1 MSA sites, considering they're separate facilities on each side of the carriageway?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Simona1986 wrote: »
    It doesn't look to be twice the size of the T1 MSA sites, considering they're separate facilities on each side of the carriageway?

Less traffic. If it had the traffic to be twice the size it would have met the requirements to have a two sided site.

Last decent stop before Wexico/Rosslare, I'd say it'll be busy and do Coynes Cross harm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Simona1986 wrote: »

It is fairly big inside and out. The seating area is much more comfortable than the warehouse style of Applegreen/coynes cross.

I thought the layout to drive around it though is very poor. It doesn't flow like most other service areas. Some cars were in the HGV section. Most of the cars at the car pumps were facing the wrong way which seemed telling. Their is practically no car spaces near the entrance so people parking in non designated spaces anywhere or over wheelchair spaces despite hundreds of spaces around it.

Then leaving to head southbound, the traffic coming from northbound carriageway comes onto the roundabout blind. I'm pretty sure it wont be long before an incident happens on the roundabout.

If there's people in non designated spaces then I hope they clamp down hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Last decent stop before Wexico/Rosslare, I'd say it'll be busy and do Coynes Cross harm.

Coynes Cross could really do with better signage. Although it has improved in recent months (it's now listed as a full service area at the start of the M11 in Bray) it's still not clear as you approach it that it's a MSA and not just a petrol station in a nearby town. It should have a full list of facilites and fuel prices on the approaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

loyatemu wrote: »
    Coynes Cross could really do with better signage. Although it has improved in recent months (it's now listed as a full service area at the start of the M11 in Bray) it's still not clear as you approach it that it's a MSA and not just a petrol station in a nearby town. It should have a full list of facilites and fuel prices on the approaches.

Ah Coynes Cross, do that drive almost everyday and it’s the one petrol station I avoid like the plague, especially southbound Gards are always down there checking tax nct etc, because you can’t see them from the motorway. Even though everything is in order on the car I avoid it, I reckon gards hiding down there has probably done more harm than circle K will.

Stopped at it hundreds of times and never seen them at it checking, but then again it wouldn't bother me as I'd rather anyone on the dodge was caught.

I know though if I was going to Wexford/Enniscorthy/New Ross I'd always be inclined to stop at the later stop, so it'll be Gorey now. Unless it's for a coffee because as much as people give out about Costa, the stuff in Circle K's is atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Passed the M9 Kilcullen MSA a few days ago and construction seems to be in full swing. Anyone got any estimate of when it's likely to open?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭sidcon

fricatus wrote: »
    Passed the M9 Kilcullen MSA a few days ago and construction seems to be in full swing. Anyone got any estimate of when it's likely to open?

Heard August/sept

Lots of work going on this morning on the McDonald's in the M11 station so I'd say it won't be too long til it's open. By the layout I can't see there being a drive through though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭serfboard

By the layout I can't see there being a drive through though.
    Wouldn't that defeat the purpose though - to stop for a break? I presume that they don't want to be encouraging people to eat and drive on a motorway ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

serfboard wrote: »
    Wouldn't that defeat the purpose though - to stop for a break? I presume that they don't want to be encouraging people to eat and drive on a motorway ...

Passengers could eat i guess?

As its offline, you also have locals who might fancy a smacs

Advertisement