Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭askU

I received my new revolt card in the post last week.(here in Ireland) it's not topped up.
    I didn't plan on using it until I landed in the UK next week.

I was just wondering now if I have to validate the card in an Irish ATM?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

askU wrote: »
    I received my new revolt card in the post last week.(here in Ireland) it's not topped up.
    I didn't plan on using it until I landed in the UK next week.

I was just wondering now if I have to validate the card in an Irish ATM?

You just need to use it once using chip and pin in order to allow you to use contactless thereafter. Just stick 5€ on it and get a coffeee or something for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭askU

towger wrote: »
    You just need to use it once using chip and pin in order to allow you to use contactless thereafter. Just stick 5€ on it and get a coffeee or something for now.

Cool thanks. Am I liable for the €5 tax IF I use it in this country?

askU wrote: »
    Cool thanks. Am I liable for the €5 tax IF I use it in this country?

Only if you use it in an atm. I use it as my main card in Ireland for debit card transactions and have never had to pay any tax as I never use it in Irish ATMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Only if you use it in an atm. I use it as my main card in Ireland for debit card transactions and have never had to pay any tax as I never use it in Irish ATMs.
    And its 12c per ATM up to a limit of €5 as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Limit is €2.50 if you only use it for ATM withdrawals and not POS.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,297 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I was just wondering if anyone is using the starling euro account (currently closed but gonna be available in general soon)?

I am currently with Revolut, no issues but would like a spare card for my partner to use (linked to same account).
    So they are going to charge me 11.98 x 2 for a new card and a spare one......cheeky considering I been using them for years.

Has anyone any experience with starling or Monzo or similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

gmisk wrote:
    I am currently with Revolut, no issues but would like a spare card for my partner to use (linked to same account). So they are going to charge me 11.98 x 2 for a new card and a spare one......cheeky considering I been using them for years.

gmisk wrote:
    I was just wondering if anyone is using the starling euro account (currently closed but gonna be available in general soon)?

gmisk wrote:

Why don't you get a card and account for your partner. Free cards are being offered. You can use your bank card to top up her card or transfer money from your revolut.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

anyone looking for a free card can pm their number and I will send a link

noel100 wrote: »
    Why don't you get a card and account for your partner. Free cards are being offered. You can use your bank card to top up her card or transfer money from your revolut.
    It would be handy to have the same account, and two cards linked to it. Its gonna be for bills, shopping etc so be handy to have it all in one single place.
    Both firing same amount in every month.
    I think only way to really do it is pay the 11.98 x 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭Zardoz

gmisk wrote: »

I am currently with Revolut, no issues but would like a spare card for my partner to use (linked to same account).
    So they are going to charge me 11.98 x 2 for a new card and a spare one......cheeky considering I been using them for years.

I tried to sign up for Starling last year but you have to be a UK resident .
    Promising to expand to the Republic for over 6 months but no sign of it yet from what I can see.

Zardoz wrote: »
    I tried to sign up for Starling last year but you have to be a UK resident .
    Promising to expand to the Republic for over 6 months but no sign of it yet from what I can see.
    The website says it is coming in next few weeks so we will see.

Another alternative might be Monzo
    https://monzo.com/
    No idea what its like but seems to operator in ireland from messages I have received.
    Edit: ah crap that is ok only

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

There aren't may neobanks that do joint accounts. One option is bunq (PM if you want a sign up bonus) but that has a monthly fee.

There's also DiPocket which I'm looking at at the moment. A bit of a fiddly app but seems to work nevertheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭bromley52

No idea what its like but seems to operator in ireland from messages I have received.

What website?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Its been saying that for the last year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

FYI i got an email from revolut offering free business account for 3 months, not of interest to me at all, but may be to some of you hence letting you know.

you may have got one or be getting one.

It would be handy to have the same account, and two cards linked to it. Its gonna be for bills, shopping etc so be handy to have it all in one single place.
    Both firing same amount in every month.
    I think only way to really do it is pay the 11.98 x 2

Just split the shared bills etc or transfer back and over the required amounts. we have a joint account but gave up using it almost completely in favor of two separate Revolut accounts. This way you can use your Revolut account personally but anything you want to share is easily transferred. Especially as many shared costs are often not fully shared like shopping for example is rarely split 50/50 as each of us buy stuff the other doesn’t use so paying with a joint account was a pain having to transfer back and over money anyway to make up for it.

Also you just have to keep your own account topped up and not worry about both moving in a set amount per month to keep it fair.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Been waiting for them for ages. Hopefully they will arrive soon but they've been saying that for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Haven't gotten any email requesting updated ID docs. U signed up with a drivers licence last year. Looking to ise the card in the UK after April 12th. is it likely to work?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Are the cards not 5.99 each ?

We setup our account that way with two cards for the ones account. I thought it was 5.99 per card we paid, either way it would be worth it, its very handy for bills and groceries

• Registered Users Posts: 9,654 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Has anyone had issues using Revolut for certain online purchases?

Was trying to buy concert tickets there with it and the payment kept failing (there was sufficient funds on the account to cover the cost) - eventually had to use my regular bank debit card and it went through ok, albeit after an extra Verified by Visa step which involved a code being sent to my phone for verification.

Is Revolut set up to handle this kinds of payment process?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭Nollog

Cartman78 wrote: »

Was trying to buy concert tickets there with it and the payment kept failing (there was sufficient funds on the account to cover the cost) - eventually had to use my regular bank debit card and it went through ok, albeit after an extra Verified by Visa step which involved a code being sent to my phone for verification.

Some merchants don't like prepaid cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Cartman78 wrote: »

Yep. Tried to pay my sky bill online the other day, no joy. Had been paying with my revolut card for months if not years before this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

If they could get Android/Samsung Pay supported or if you could set the date for your budget (not everyone gets paid on the 1st)
    I would be really happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

There’s an option in the app to turn online payments on/off. Might be defaulted to off.

Although I see Dulux has been using his for a while before so obviously not that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Collie D wrote: »
    There’s an option in the app to turn online payments on/off. Might be defaulted to off.

Although I see Dulux has been using his for a while before so obviously not that.

On iOS it comes up saying online payments turned off error message and tell you to turn it on if so tho.

I was in dealz clarehall one day and the payments are made in the UK so you need to have your GPS location turned off for payments to go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Have you tried something like curve? You can set the card to debit from your account or wife's account or vice versa

I don't see curve as a revolut replacement but has a lot of revolut features so in ireland will be useful but revolut wins hands down when travelling

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Have you tried something like curve? You can set the card to debit from your account or wife's account or vice versa

I don't see curve as a revolut replacement but has a lot of revolut features so in ireland will be useful but revolut wins hands down when travelling

Curve has very low limits for spending though unless you pay the 10er per month. I also found, that it fails for larger amounts.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Marlow wrote: »
    Curve has very low limits for spending though unless you pay the 10er per month. I also found, that it fails for larger amounts.

/M

Weird - I did a few hundreds scale transactions with them (like booking.com or Norweigan.com) without issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement