Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yes I agree but over the last couple of years Flacco has looked even worse.
    As I said I'm expecting this move might work out well for Flacco, I don't think the Ravens had a good setup for him.

Flacco’s just entering his prime according to QB talent spotter John Elway.

Ah now guys - give us a break - it was a demonstration that the power rankings are bullsh*t and the guys who claim to be analysts are taking money under false pretences. I could have picked any one of half a dozen teams - I picked the Broncos because it is the one I know best.

Of course they’re bs. And doubly so in March. Journalists have columns to write and space to fill and power rankings are an easy way out. I doubt even they think anyone will take them seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,834 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Ah, we shouldn't judge really, it's the off season, jrg is clearly a pretty obsessive fan, there's only so many ways to get your fix this time of year, those articles serve a purpose. But obviously the guy doing the ranking is wrong, that's probably not even by accident.
    Ah now guys - give us a break - it was a demonstration that the power rankings are bullsh*t and the guys who claim to be analysts are taking money under false pretences. I could have picked any one of half a dozen teams - I picked the Broncos because it is the one I know best.
    I was giving you a break! Reading my post back it might sound sarcastic, I really didn't mean to be, I think you're absolutely right, the notion that the bears are now way worse for losing fangio while ye are no better for getting him is on its face silly. I think though that power rankings, always of nearly no value, become even less valuable right before the draft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Paully D wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/tomecurran/status/1109158087276064768?s=21

I’m struggling to think of anything I’d want to see less. :eek:
    Earlier in the week it was reported that charges would be dropped for all involved (not the traffickers) if they agreed to community service and a admission that they would have been found guilty in a court. None took the offer it seems.
    A mate of mine showed me a clip of the Hulk Hogan sex tape, and that was bad enough. A 77 year old sex tape, ain't for my viewing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,186 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I’m struggling to think of anything I’d want to see less. :eek:

You obviously haven't had the misfortune of seeing Mike Glennon as starting QB for your team..yet.

I would rather watch Robert Kraft get tugged. On a loop.

• Advertisement

Oat23 wrote: »
    You obviously haven't had the misfortune of seeing Mike Glennon as starting QB for your team..yet.

I would rather watch Robert Kraft get tugged. On a loop.

Being serious, is there anything to be gained from the video being released? Surely use it in the trial (if there is one) and show the jury but apart from that, I can't understand what releasing the video will achieve, apart from humiliating Kraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,186 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Being serious, is there anything to be gained from the video being released? Surely use it in the trial (if there is one) and show the jury but apart from that, I can't understand what releasing the video will achieve, apart from humiliating Kraft.

Maybe it has something to do with the sunshine law in Florida where a lot of these things have to be made public on request.

There was a twitter moment that popped up on my feed yesterday about this very law actually: https://twitter.com/i/moments/1108752072021852160

Oat23 wrote: »
    Maybe it has something to do with the sunshine law in Florida where a lot of these things have to be made public on request.

There was a twitter moment that popped up on my feed yesterday about this very law actually: https://twitter.com/i/moments/1108752072021852160

Yeah, I'm not doubting there's a law, I just think it's a bit of a ridiculous law. My original question remains, what's to be gained by anyone not directly involved with the case seeing this video?

They'd probably say it's in the name of transparency and openness in the justice system but I think it's unnecessary. Probably why I'm a bum posting on a message board and not a highly paid lawyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

https://twitter.com/bradkelly17/status/1109515301656375297?s=21

Goes out a Super Bowl champion too. Shame he had to retire but he’s made a lot of his life under difficult circumstances it seems.

My original question remains, what's to be gained by anyone not directly involved with the case seeing this video?
    Not a lot. Maybe the humiliation makes some others think about not getting involved in such activities. There’s been some extensive coverage on Pats radio; apparently it’s widespread in Miami due to the age profile in the area.
    Kraft has come out with the standard lawyer/PR written apology rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,673 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Not a lot. Maybe the humiliation makes some others think about not getting involved in such activities. There’s been some extensive coverage on Pats radio; apparently it’s widespread in Miami due to the age profile in the area. Kraft has come out with the standard lawyer/PR written apology rubbish.
    Why would you want to humiliate a man who has done so many good things in his life though? I'm talking outside football with charities and other stuff.
    I don't think it would stop others. If you want this type of thing you have issues imo. People will just be more careful about where they procure the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,627 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Not a lot. Maybe the humiliation makes some others think about not getting involved in such activities. There’s been some extensive coverage on Pats radio; apparently it’s widespread in Miami due to the age profile in the area.
    Kraft has come out with the standard lawyer/PR written apology rubbish.

Was that released yesterday ? If it was then I saw it. Yeah the usual "process/journey" rubbish which seems universal when you've been caught doing something you shouldn't have been doing.

I read yesterday somewhere that his plan for getting the case thrown out is that the car stop that was used to identify him was an illegal stop and as a result, anything stemming from that is invalid. I've no idea if that's got merit or whether it's clutching at straws.

But as has been said, it's not being found guilty that his main issue (he'll only get a slap on the wrist if he is), it's making sure that tape never sees the light of day.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Was that released yesterday ? If it was then I saw it. Yeah the usual "process/journey" rubbish which seems universal when you've been caught doing something you shouldn't have been doing.
    Yeah, yesterday. What he did isn’t really a big deal. The more I heard about that area, it’s really common (and common knowledge) with so many retirees in Miami. I guess he felt it was just a service that the women willingly provided, and were happy to be paid for. But that explanation wouldn’t cut it, so it has to be one of the usual apologies when someone is caught.
    The video is the big factor for him. As explained above, he might be looking at a technicality to get off. Either way, he’s looking at a suspension, which really isn’t much of a hit to an owner (maybe off committees etc) as they’ll still sit in the owners box for every game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Yeah, yesterday. What he did isn’t really a big deal. The more I heard about that area, it’s really common (and common knowledge) with so many retirees in Miami. I guess he felt it was just a service that the women willingly provided, and were happy to be paid for. But that explanation wouldn’t cut it, so it has to be one of the usual apologies when someone is caught.
    The video is the big factor for him. As explained above, he might be looking at a technicality to get off. Either way, he’s looking at a suspension, which really isn’t much of a hit to an owner (maybe off committees etc) as they’ll still sit in the owners box for every game.

The embarrassment is by far the biggest factor. You are right I don’t think he will be worried about fines or suspensions. The whole affair is hugely embarrassing for him and his family. If the video comes out it would make things a lot worse and as others have said there is nothing to be gained from it.

They seem to love a good public flogging in the US so I wouldn’t be surprised if it did emerge.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Not too surprising....

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1109936822333825025

From his Instagram:
    It all started at 20 years old on stage at the NFL draft when my dream came true, and now here I am about to turn 30 in a few months with a decision I feel is the biggest of my life so far. I will be retiring from the game of football today. I am so grateful for the opportunity that Mr. Kraft and Coach Belichick gave to me when drafting my silliness in 2010. My life experiences over the last 9 years have been amazing both on and off the field. The people I have meet, the relationships I have built, the championships I have been apart of, I just want to thank the whole New England Patriots organization for every opportunity I have been giving and learning the great values of life that I can apply to mine. Thank you to all of Pats Nation around the world for the incredible support since I have been apart of this 1st class organization. Thank you for everyone accepting who I am and the dedication I have put into my work to be the best player I could be. But now its time to move forward and move forward with a big smile knowing that the New England Patriots Organization, Pats Nation, and all my fans will be truly a big part of my heart for rest of my life. It was truly an incredible honor to play for such a great established organization and able to come in to continue and contribute to keep building success. To all my current and past teammates, thank you for making each team every year special to be apart of. I will truly miss you guys. Cheers to all who have been part of this journey, cheers to the past for the incredible memories, and a HUGE cheers to the uncertain of whats next.

Massive blow to the Pats. Even though he’d a standard TE season, he stepped up in the playoffs. Leaves a huge gap to fill.
    The most dominant TE I saw, injuries probably prevented him from owning every TE stat. Those injuries finally have taken their toll, owes nothing to the organization/fans. Leaves behind great memories and a legacy; he will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I said it in the Pats thread, but it says everything how injuries have had a major negative impact on Gronk's career, yet he'll almost definitely still be a first-ballot HOF. The most dominant TE of all-time, and imo he's right up there with the GOATs of the sport. Of course he'll never be recognised as the latter because of his position, nevertheless, legend of the game.

I see gronk has retired. A nine year career that if not for injuries would nave been better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Tony G is to my mind still the best TE of all time when you look at entire careers, but Gronk at his best was incomparable to surely anyone to ever play the position. I'd go so far as to put him up with Randy Moss and Megatron (and maybe TO) as the most dominant receiver I have ever seen, quite possibly above those two (though Antonio Brown is probably the best overall receiver I've seen).

Huge loss to the Patriots, even if injuries had taken their toll just having him out there basically necessitates the defense to dedicate two players to him almost by default. A shame too, he's an idiot but a lovable idiot and one of my favourite players of the decade to watch, hands down.

• Advertisement

I'd have Witten and Gronk as the two best in my time watching the game. They were just complete tight ends, great run and pass blockers and excellent receivers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Gronk is the best TE to ever play the game.

He was literally unstoppable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Gronk is the best TE to ever play the game.

He was literally unstoppable.

He was when fully healthy. But Tony gonzalez to me is just amazing for the consistency and length of career

He was when fully healthy. But Tony gonzalez to me is just amazing for the consistency and length of career
    Gonzalez was great. I remember Pats played him at Falcons, and even with double coverage, he dominated; couldn’t stop him. Amazing longevity, 270 regular season games to Gronks 115.
    Both in their Prime, I’d take Gronk; Gronk 79 TDs compared to 111 for Gonzalez, an example of how great he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Gronk was one of the greatest - was he the best ever - as always that is a debate.

This guy changed the game as a TE - Kellen Winslow

Winslow was class for sure but imo Witten and then Gronk just brought it to a different level. They were both good enough to play as tackles both on passing and run blocking and then as receivers they were excellent.
    If we are talking greatest over a decent spell then it's Gronk, over a longer career it's Witten.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Packers bears for the first game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

I wouldn't put Tony Gonzalez' greatness down to longevity alone, his best 9 year stretch holds up pretty well against Gronkowskis too.

748 - 9102 - 61 compared to 521 - 7861 - 79.

All this was accumulated in a very different era too. In 1997, his first year in the league not a single QB broke 4000 yards. The last year Gronk played 14 QBs did.

Also worth remembering that Gronk has had Tom Brady pitching him the ball for the entirety of his career, Tony G's QB's included Elvis Grbac, Brodie Croyle, Tyler Thigpin and Damon Huard. (Full disclosure - he also had a half decent Rich Gannon - though not Oakland Rich Gannon - he couldn't win the job off Grbac which tells you a lot, and the unfortunate Trent Green)

He put up these mammoth numbers, which at the time far outstripped his contemporaries, did it at a time when the league was not as pass heavy, on some pretty mediocre Kansas City Teams, did it for 17(!) years and only missed 2 games his entire career.

Gronkowski was a menace though. You hated the fact he was on the other team, and always seemed to come up big when it mattered too. He has the championships and such a high peak when he was productive, but Tony G is the best TE I've seen play.

To those rating Tony G, can we hear your take on his pass and run blocking?

• Advertisement

Packers bears for the first game.
    Why ? Isn’t the super bowl champion one of the teams that open at home in recent times ?

Advertisement