Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda reserve

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Hyneser03

Looked through some old paper work and found my invitation to the college to commence training 9 years ago

Phase 1 2 day induction
    Phase 2 56 hours legal studies with exams broken into 3 hour modules
    Phase 3 2 days in college..self defence / radio training / role play /handcuff training
    Phase 4 40 hours operational Station Training
    Phase 5 Attestation

Remember you will need to supply HR in the Park with your original birth cert . When you attend the college on the first day you will need proof of ID ..passport and driving license. Married ladies will need their marraige certificate
    Dress is smart casual
    Also required is track suit and runners

Well man was that 56 hours on phase two done over two weeks in templemore or done at a local station?
    They never said to us anything about our birth cert?

Looked through some old paper work and found my invitation to the college to commence training 9 years ago

Phase 1 2 day induction
    Phase 2 56 hours legal studies with exams broken into 3 hour modules
    Phase 3 2 days in college..self defence / radio training / role play /handcuff training
    Phase 4 40 hours operational Station Training
    Phase 5 Attestation

Remember you will need to supply HR in the Park with your original birth cert . When you attend the college on the first day you will need proof of ID ..passport and driving license. Married ladies will need their marraige certificate
    Dress is smart casual
    Also required is track suit and runners

Well man was that 56 hours on phase two done over two weeks in templemore or done at a local station?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

If it's anything like the full time your birth cert will be handed in and retained.

Witcher wrote: »
    If it's anything like the full time your birth cert will be handed in and retained.

So we would have to bring our birth cert down to templemore next weekend ?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭gem112

Thats from the training 9 years ago.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Skydiver1961

Witcher wrote: »

Not the case with Reserves ..They scan it and return it to you by post

Hyneser03 wrote: »
    So we would have to bring our birth cert down to templemore next weekend ?

I would , just in case

It was done in Store St by a CPD Sgt over a number of weeks

It was done in Store St by a CPD Sgt over a number of weeks

That’s grand thanks we still don’t know yet if it’s going to be done over two weeks or not

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭gem112

If the 56hrs are done in 3hr blocks it will be a disaster.....thats 18 odd evening's..... i work shifts and can't take half days off....

• Advertisement

gem112 wrote: »
    If the 56hrs are done in 3hr blocks it will be a disaster.....thats 18 odd evening's..... i work shifts and can't take half days off....

Uusally 6 to 9 or 7 to 10 in the evening..They do expect 100% attendance and there are exams at the end of each module

This is what is currently displayed on the Garda Website,
    Training Programme:
    •Phase I: Two day induction Course (Weekdays) at the Garda College, Templemore, Co. Tipperary covering the following areas: Introduction to An Garda Síochána, Human Rights, Discipline, Ethics and Organisational Culture.
    •Phase II: A 2 week all inclusive course to be held at the Garda College (Monday Friday not including weekends). The Course will include training in Retractable Baton, Incapacitant Spray and Tetra Radio.
    •Phase III: Two day Course (Weekdays) at the Garda College.
    •Phase IV: Minimum of 40 hours on the job training at a designated Garda Station to include accompanied beat patrol and station duty.
    •Phase V: 1 day Attestation and Graduation ceremony - Weekday at the Garda College.

Our baton and spray training was completed in our districts after our attestation as we were not issued with either during our training ...our only issued PPE was a torch and cuffs

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭donman

Our baton and spray training was completed in our districts after our attestation as we were not issued with either during our training ...our only issued PPE was a torch and cuffs. So Skydiver1961,on your 40hrs,you had no Baton,pepper spray or stab vest.Bloody hell,you must have felt vulnerable on the beat.Has that changed Do ye know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Shadiest187

Hi guys,

I'm heading down to Templemore myself next weekend, and just wondering if anybody knows what to expect over the two days? Which reminds me, I need to source a laptop 😅

Also, it's nice to read existing Reserve's posts, and the solidarity displayed.

donman wrote: »
    Our baton and spray training was completed in our districts after our attestation as we were not issued with either during our training ...our only issued PPE was a torch and cuffs. So Skydiver1961,on your 40hrs,you had no Baton,pepper spray or stab vest.Bloody hell,you must have felt vulnerable on the beat.Has that changed Do ye know?

Had a stab vest , no spray or baton ...just a long torch..Not sure if this has changed....There were times it was a bit hair rasing alright but got thru it

All the best with the training , you will enjoy it..At times you may be out of your comfort zone but the instructors are great and will offer all the help you need to get through the course

Anyone recieved the curriculm yet

Anyone recieved the curriculm yet
    No lad what would taht be ?

No lad what would taht be ?

Course Curriculm for the new intake.

Course Curriculm for the new intake.

No lad nothing yet prob not till we go down

• Advertisement

No lad nothing yet prob not till we go down

Given they have not informed you I would say it is going to be this format,

Training Programme:
    •Phase I: Two day induction Course (Weekdays) at the Garda College, Templemore, Co. Tipperary covering the following areas: Introduction to An Garda Síochána, Human Rights, Discipline, Ethics and Organisational Culture.
    •Phase II: A 2 week all inclusive course to be held at the Garda College (Monday Friday not including weekends). The Course will include training in Retractable Baton, Incapacitant Spray and Tetra Radio.
    •Phase III: Two day Course (Weekdays) at the Garda College.
    •Phase IV: Minimum of 40 hours on the job training at a designated Garda Station to include accompanied beat patrol and station duty.
    •Phase V: 1 day Attestation and Graduation ceremony - Weekday at the Garda College.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gordonr52

Anyone know did they change the probation time from 2 years to 6 months a realitive if mine is very good friends with a sgt and he was told you can now wait 6 months to be moved full time , has anyone heard of this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Kevin17W

Hi, Just wondering if this intake is from the spring 2017 campaign.
    I came OOM 1 in my region, passed all the stages but heard nothing after the medical which was May 2018. Just wondering is there anyone to contact in relation to this I've sent emails and spoke to one person but got no further.
    Any idea how many reserves they expect to take in during this period, i seen 99 started today in Templemore.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Joonnor212

I’m the same passed the medical in September 2018 and didn’t get any invite for this stage, just hope there’s another coming up this year as we’re waiting since 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭kinglong

Kevin17W wrote: »
    Hi, Just wondering if this intake is from the spring 2017 campaign.
    I came OOM 1 in my region, passed all the stages but heard nothing after the medical which was May 2018. Just wondering is there anyone to contact in relation to this I've sent emails and spoke to one person but got no further.
    Any idea how many reserves they expect to take in during this period, i seen 99 started today in Templemore.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

I am waiting on medical make sure your not using a hotmail account they won't get you if you are my mate went to Templemore today he was in the 2017 interviews as was I.They want 2000 reserves by 2021 its in the program for government

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭kinglong

Joonnor212 wrote: »
    I’m the same passed the medical in September 2018 and didn’t get any invite for this stage, just hope there’s another coming up this year as we’re waiting since 2017.

I am wait on medical how soon after supers interview did you do medical

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Kevin17W

kinglong wrote: »
    I am wait on medical how soon after supers interview did you do medical

I had a meeting with an Inspector in December 2017 and got called for medical in early May 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Willm5499

Same here, 2017 interview & exam.. I had my last meeting with the Super Intd in Aug 2018. Still waiting for my call for medical... was hoping to be down there already. The commissioner told the P.A there would be 100 in the first & second quarter so I'm now hoping to be going down in the next intake...

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Tommy_utd16

Did a batch of reserve start this weekend in the college? If so how many and how did they get on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Willm5499

Yes Tom they got 99 reserves down yesterday for the induction. You can see them on the Garda Síochana fb page...

Advertisement