Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Garda reserve

  • 15-09-2014 9:50pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 32


    Hi all ,, I went for my medical for garda reserves on July 15th gone at 10am just wondering was there anyone else on this day aswell ?? Have few questions thanks in advance


«13456758

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭JonathanP


    Hi all ,, I went for my medical for garda reserves on July 15th gone at 10am just wondering was there anyone else on this day aswell ?? Have few questions thanks in advance

    Lucky You... im still waiting for an interview... 😓


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 lisamajella


    Hi all ,, I went for my medical for garda reserves on July 15th gone at 10am just wondering was there anyone else on this day aswell ?? Have few questions thanks in advance

    Yes I had my medical that day


  • Registered Users Posts: 32 fathead 241188


    Yes I had my medical that day

    Hi did you get threw or have you heard anymore??


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 lisamajella


    Hi did you get threw or have you heard anymore??

    Yes I start training this Thursday and Friday then 2 weeks in December and other dates to be confirmed in new year


  • Registered Users Posts: 32 fathead 241188


    Yes I start training this Thursday and Friday then 2 weeks in December and other dates to be confirmed in new year

    Hey how did today nd yesterday go ?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭JonathanP


    I emailed the piblicjobs and they said i was 67th on the list to be interviewed is this a good bad or indifferent position to be in?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1


    Its not good , iv been waiting for a medical for 2 years pal , will be three years since i first applied this coming march.


  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭JonathanP


    RUNNER 1 wrote: »
    Its not good , iv been waiting for a medical for 2 years pal , will be three years since i first applied this coming march.

    Oh My god 😱😩.... feck it i thought i was gettin somewhere.... looks like were going nowhere fast 😩she said i could move to an area outside my own for interview... i think she meant 67th in the kilkenny area


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1


    If u don't mind waiting 3-5 years to get in then go for interview , otherwise just forget about it pal.


  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tg123


    The time from application to getting an offer does vary. For me it was 18 months from time of application to arriving at the college to commence training


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1


    U were very lucky, I found out a few days ago that there won't be another reserve class till next September ,. I personally have gave up on it but for any1who would like to do it is a long and ****y process that can take years, just my opinion


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent


    RUNNER 1 wrote: »
    U were very lucky, I found out a few days ago that there won't be another reserve class till next September ,. I personally have gave up on it but for any1who would like to do it is a long and ****y process that can take years, just my opinion

    You mind me asking where you found out about Sept 2015 intake?


  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭JonathanP


    RUNNER 1 wrote: »
    U were very lucky, I found out a few days ago that there won't be another reserve class till next September ,. I personally have gave up on it but for any1who would like to do it is a long and ****y process that can take years, just my opinion

    Does that include interviews and all or jus people whove been tgrough everything and jus waiting to get trained?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1


    Rang the office she said be end of next year September time


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1


    From the get go ur left waiting for everything, that's my experience and many others


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭coolock94


    RUNNER 1 wrote: »
    Rang the office she said be end of next year September time

    I rang yesterday I have one check left to be complete and the lady said that early next year there will be an intake


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1


    Haha this makes me laugh they tell something different 2 everyone that rings in , proves my point they DONT have a clue what there doing ,as in how early did they say coolock ? I have 7 checks on mean and its been out 1 and a half now , do u wana know why ? They said they lost it for awhile #there a joke.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭coolock94


    Jasus mate that is a joke can understand why you are pissed. I'm hoping IT will be in soon, sent mine off in March this year so only one check left hope it's quick. I just forget about it and check every now and again for updates.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86


    its a long wait, and imo i dont think its worth it,

    a recent stat quoted only 2% of reserves in a decade entered full time gardai,

    in my view this is a shocking %,

    if you have age and time on your side apply, but dont let it get in the way of other things in your life,

    i withdrew my name also, i wanted to build a career for myself in another sector,

    good luck with your decision


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1


    How far did you get through the process Canyon86? cause i think i am going to do same


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86


    RUNNER 1 wrote: »
    How far did you get through the process Canyon86? cause i think i am going to do same



    i was offered a place for training,

    but couldnt committ to training due to work commitments abroad, and saw the reserves as a dead end,


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass


    Canyon86 wrote: »
    i was offered a place for training,

    but couldnt committ to training due to work commitments abroad, and saw the reserves as a dead end,

    It really is a joke from the get go sadly.


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam


    TallGlass wrote: »
    It really is a joke from the get go sadly.

    No I'm sorry now but I have some serious issues with An Garda Síochána as an organisation, but I cannot not comment on this. Not sure how you can refer to the Garda Reserves as a "joke" tbh.

    Educating all full-timers of all ranks about duties; responsibilities; roles; reason etc would've solved a few issues I do believe. Sur I was asked one night by a senior officer if I was going to charge or release a prisoner before a full-timer stepped in; eventhough I know I looked bewildered trying to process the events that led to the prisoner being there & wearing my training epaulettes. Another night I was handed the keys to a car and asked to drive it back to the station (drink-driver case); I was still on provisional myself and even if I was on full, I could not do that, so I didn't! Another instance involving one senior officer with responsibility for me that shift just roared at me one day saying straight-out "I DON'T KNOW WHY YOU'RE HERE; I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU CAN DO; NO REASON FOR YOU TO BE HERE..." - obviously had other issues on his mind, but his priority at that point was in roaring his ignorance at me.

    Things like that led to full-timers getting annoyed as I could not assist in some situations & just felt utterly useless & miniscule at the very least.

    Not a joke imo, just not completely thought out nor executed as it should,
    If senior officers don't want reserves in their unit, they should've taken it out with their superiors and not on the volunteers imo!
    If any member did not know about the volunteers, they should've asked questions like some members on one of my units did. They would talk to me & ask me directly about what I could do etc. That was real nice I felt. At least they made an effort you know.

    Still can't call it a joke though,
    kerry4sam


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭coolock94


    The commissioner seemed to like the fact that 2 groups of reserves graduated this year. Hopefully 2015 will be the year we get our training dates.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1


    I wouldnt count on it coolock ,2020 maybe :P


  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop


    kerry4sam wrote: »
    No I'm sorry now but I have some serious issues with An Garda Síochána as an organisation, but I cannot not comment on this. Not sure how you can refer to the Garda Reserves as a "joke" tbh.

    Educating all full-timers of all ranks about duties; responsibilities; roles; reason etc would've solved a few issues I do believe. Sur I was asked one night by a senior officer if I was going to charge or release a prisoner before a full-timer stepped in; eventhough I know I looked bewildered trying to process the events that led to the prisoner being there & wearing my training epaulettes. Another night I was handed the keys to a car and asked to drive it back to the station (drink-driver case); I was still on provisional myself and even if I was on full, I could not do that, so I didn't! Another instance involving one senior officer with responsibility for me that shift just roared at me one day saying straight-out "I DON'T KNOW WHY YOU'RE HERE; I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU CAN DO; NO REASON FOR YOU TO BE HERE..." - obviously had other issues on his mind, but his priority at that point was in roaring his ignorance at me.

    Things like that led to full-timers getting annoyed as I could not assist in some situations & just felt utterly useless & miniscule at the very least.

    Not a joke imo, just not completely thought out nor executed as it should,
    If senior officers don't want reserves in their unit, they should've taken it out with their superiors and not on the volunteers imo!
    If any member did not know about the volunteers, they should've asked questions like some members on one of my units did. They would talk to me & ask me directly about what I could do etc. That was real nice I felt. At least they made an effort you know.

    Still can't call it a joke though,
    kerry4sam

    The reserve force will never be anything apart from a pain in the rear ends of the people in the park, they dont want the reserve force having any powers or a voice to be heard, senior management dont want them and that filters down to all the other rank and file, they have little or no powers that is of any use to FT members yes you can help them out "but" thats it.

    The reserve force is now nearly 10yrs old and is still no further down the line since day one, you could be lucky and get a decent station, and then unlucky if you get a staunch GRA one if that is the case you might as well move as you will never be excepted, i have heard stories of RG been left on a set beat for the full 10hrs of their shift yet the FT would only have to do 5hrs and they would be relieved by another.

    Until management put their foot down and say enough is enough, we want a reserve force fit for purpose it will never amount to anything other then an extra person walking around like a shadow, at least it would have stood a chance with an outside commissioner sadly this will not happen now as AGS is just not able for change its afraid of it, sadly the commissioner is part of the old regime and will also be afraid to commit, as for the inspectorate report it might as well be toilet paper for what will be implemented and how long it will take to achieve if ever.


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam


    bluetop wrote: »
    The reserve force will never be anything apart from a pain in the rear ends of the people in the park, they dont want the reserve force having any powers or a voice to be heard, senior management dont want them and that filters down to all the other rank and file, they have little or no powers that is of any use to FT members yes you can help them out "but" thats it.

    The reserve force is now nearly 10yrs old and is still no further down the line since day one, you could be lucky and get a decent station, and then unlucky if you get a staunch GRA one if that is the case you might as well move as you will never be excepted, i have heard stories of RG been left on a set beat for the full 10hrs of their shift yet the FT would only have to do 5hrs and they would be relieved by another.

    Until management put their foot down and say enough is enough, we want a reserve force fit for purpose it will never amount to anything other then an extra person walking around like a shadow, at least it would have stood a chance with an outside commissioner sadly this will not happen now as AGS is just not able for change its afraid of it, sadly the commissioner is part of the old regime and will also be afraid to commit, as for the inspectorate report it might as well be toilet paper for what will be implemented and how long it will take to achieve if ever.

    Oh tip of the ice-berg bluetop I'm afraid.

    I am curious about something though: Did anyone ever try and engage with any representative of the GRA; anyone ever meet them on behalf of the GardaReserves and actively engage in any positive manner :confused: I don't ever remember hearing about such an encounter or even read anything on a meeting of this kind so I'm just curious about that.

    I mean, surely the GRA would not have followed the lines of IanPaisley and his NO, NO, NO rule (before eventually altering his stance); no engagement; no consultation; no trying to understand the GR-process; no viewing members as actual humans instead of some entity they must terminate & destroy.
    Remember JohnHume saying to him "Ian, if the word ‘no’ were to be removed from the English language, you’d be speechless, wouldn’t you!”Ian Paisley: ”No, I wouldn’t!”"

    Just something I'm curious about,
    kerry4sam


  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear


    kerry4sam wrote: »
    Oh tip of the ice-berg bluetop I'm afraid.

    I am curious about something though: Did anyone ever try and engage with any representative of the GRA; anyone ever meet them on behalf of the GardaReserves and actively engage in any positive manner :confused: I don't ever remember hearing about such an encounter or even read anything on a meeting of this kind so I'm just curious about that.

    I mean, surely the GRA would not have followed the lines of IanPaisley and his NO, NO, NO rule (before eventually altering his stance); no engagement; no consultation; no trying to understand the GR-process; no viewing members as actual humans instead of some entity they must terminate & destroy.
    Remember JohnHume saying to him "Ian, if the word ‘no’ were to be removed from the English language, you’d be speechless, wouldn’t you!”Ian Paisley: ”No, I wouldn’t!”"

    Just something I'm curious about,
    kerry4sam

    18th February 2008 a group of reserves meet the GRA in Phibsboro Towers about affiliation. They were asked to submit it in writing and this was sent by registered letter. No reply was ever received back from the GRA.


  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop


    kerry4sam wrote: »
    Oh tip of the ice-berg bluetop I'm afraid.

    I am curious about something though: Did anyone ever try and engage with any representative of the GRA; anyone ever meet them on behalf of the GardaReserves and actively engage in any positive manner :confused: I don't ever remember hearing about such an encounter or even read anything on a meeting of this kind so I'm just curious about that.

    I mean, surely the GRA would not have followed the lines of IanPaisley and his NO, NO, NO rule (before eventually altering his stance); no engagement; no consultation; no trying to understand the GR-process; no viewing members as actual humans instead of some entity they must terminate & destroy.
    Remember JohnHume saying to him "Ian, if the word ‘no’ were to be removed from the English language, you’d be speechless, wouldn’t you!”Ian Paisley: ”No, I wouldn’t!”"

    Just something I'm curious about,
    kerry4sam

    As the previous poster has said he is correct, i also remember a body that was set up to try and deal with the Reserve Superintendent and that did not go down well as far as i have heard, they were told in no uncertain terms shut down or else, that was the last from them, the GRA voted against the GR ever getting off the ground they were the ones that blocked the independent patrol if they allowed them to come in in the 10yrs they have been established for 8yrs of that GRA & AGSI have belittled the reserve force coming out with stupid remarks like mollycoddled, yellow scarecrows, that is just some of the words they used, so do you actually think they would want the reserve force to be part of their orginisation that would mean backing down on their 8yrs of beliefs, they were also the ones who told the full timers not to work with us, so as you can see from the word go they were on the back foot total lack of integration and no respect for the reserve members that give up their time to help their members on the street regardless of the risks involved, and before anyone come on and says sure you knew what you were getting into correct we did and still decided to do it.

    New blood needs to come and bring the AGS up with the times far too long lagging behind ever other force in every way, radios all though in plentiful supply are still not part of the PPE which it should be as part of H&S, Intel should also be sorted on pulse as the comms room is a disaster if your on your own as you cant give out the appropriate information which could be potentially a hazard for your collogues looking for information, no PO powers still not rolled out after 13mts of doing the training total joke some people gave up a days work to do the course and for what nothing the system is totally flawed they either need to make the reserve force fit for purpose or just scrap it.

    That is my thoughts on it and i am sure there is lots and lots that would be of the same opinion.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam


    Yogi Bear wrote: »
    18th February 2008 a group of reserves meet the GRA in Phibsboro Towers about affiliation. They were asked to submit it in writing and this was sent by registered letter. No reply was ever received back from the GRA.

    Thanks, never knew that. Just another piece of ignorance by them.
    bluetop wrote: »
    As the previous poster has said he is correct, i also remember a body that was set up to try and deal with the Reserve Superintendent and that did not go down well as far as i have heard, they were told in no uncertain terms shut down or else, that was the last from them, the GRA voted against the GR ever getting off the ground they were the ones that blocked the independent patrol if they allowed them to come in in the 10yrs they have been established for 8yrs of that GRA & AGSI have belittled the reserve force coming out with stupid remarks like mollycoddled, yellow scarecrows, that is just some of the words they used, so do you actually think they would want the reserve force to be part of their orginisation that would mean backing down on their 8yrs of beliefs, they were also the ones who told the full timers not to work with us, so as you can see from the word go they were on the back foot total lack of integration and no respect for the reserve members that give up their time to help their members on the street regardless of the risks involved, and before anyone come on and says sure you knew what you were getting into correct we did and still decided to do it.

    New blood needs to come and bring the AGS up with the times far too long lagging behind ever other force in every way, radios all though in plentiful supply are still not part of the PPE which it should be as part of H&S, Intel should also be sorted on pulse as the comms room is a disaster if your on your own as you cant give out the appropriate information which could be potentially a hazard for your collogues looking for information, no PO powers still not rolled out after 13mts of doing the training total joke some people gave up a days work to do the course and for what nothing the system is totally flawed they either need to make the reserve force fit for purpose or just scrap it.

    That is my thoughts on it and i am sure there is lots and lots that would be of the same opinion.

    The part in bold by me: Sorry but I was not aware that I would be subjected to this!
    As for the comms room: nightmares man; I didn't sleep right for nights after one incident with the comms-room; praying to God I dealt with the incident okay. I was never supposed to be on my own in there, especially when 999-calls do come in! If anything did come back, I'm sure the full-time rostered on for there would've covered knowing I wasn't supposed to be in there on-my-own with limited pulse-access; no info of who was who; what was where; or who to contact when... :mad:

    I wonder what they actually see for the GardaReserves though: As Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

    Thanks,
    kerry4sam


Advertisement