Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda reserve

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭howsitgoingboy

Just wondering lads, Been always kinda interested in joining the garda but joining the reserve would prob be the best bet for me and get some experience before going all out in if you get me, currently in college and would like to get in some experience, whats the story with the recruitment am I too late for 2019?

There doesn't seem to be another recruitment campaign coming up, but then again they might start recruiting for the reserves. I personally wouldn't think a recruitment drive is upcoming for them. Their will be another full-time recruitment though later this year i'd say and you'd nearly have a better chance in getting into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 issagenius88

Just got my medical test date next Wednesday and booked for 23 and 24th training

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Skydiver1961

The Garda Reserve Strategy is in development and is expected to be finalised in Quarter 2, 2019. The Strategy will address the development of five high-level deliverable goals:

 Oversight, Governance and Management

 Community Policing Framework

 Performance Recognition and Incentives

 Recruitment, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion

 Appropriate Training and Learning

An Garda Síochána plans to recruit 100 Reserves in Q1, 2019. The first phase of the Reserve Training Programme is scheduled to take place on 23 and 24 March 2019.

As at 21 February 2019, 92 candidates have been offered a place on the Programme and 72 have accepted the offer. Work is continuing to fill the remaining 28 places. Medicals are scheduled, vetting results are awaited and files are being reviewed. We are optimistic that we will achieve the Q1 commitment

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Willm5499

I just rang HQ and the girl told me my file has been sent to the commissioner for a decision. I explained I was eager as I had to tell my job when training was. She said she wouldn't be worried but as I haven't done my medical yet and dates for training have already been sent out its unlikely I would be going down in March. I'm optimistic because a friend of mine got a call for his medical for the Gaurds on the Monday and he was down in Templemore on the Wednesday so fingers crossed....

Willm5499 wrote: »
    I just rang HQ and the girl told me my file has been sent to the commissioner for a decision. I explained I was eager as I had to tell my job when training was. She said she wouldn't be worried but as I haven't done my medical yet and dates for training have already been sent out its unlikely I would be going down in March. I'm optimistic because a friend of mine got a call for his medical for the Gaurds on the Monday and he was down in Templemore on the Wednesday so fingers crossed....

With 20 slots still available , they will be trying their best to fill the 1st phase so they may reach out and get some into complete medicals asap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Hyneser03

The Garda Reserve Strategy is in development and is expected to be finalised in Quarter 2, 2019. The Strategy will address the development of five high-level deliverable goals:

 Oversight, Governance and Management

 Community Policing Framework

 Performance Recognition and Incentives

 Recruitment, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion

 Appropriate Training and Learning

An Garda Síochána plans to recruit 100 Reserves in Q1, 2019. The first phase of the Reserve Training Programme is scheduled to take place on 23 and 24 March 2019.

As at 21 February 2019, 92 candidates have been offered a place on the Programme and 72 have accepted the offer. Work is continuing to fill the remaining 28 places. Medicals are scheduled, vetting results are awaited and files are being reviewed. We are optimistic that we will achieve the Q1 commitment
    Thanks for that where did u read that ?

Taken from the the Commissioners Report to the Police Authority .Can be viewed on the Garda website ....garda.ie

This is a moment of change for the Reserve and it has come about by engagement with both Garda Management and the Police Authority over the past number of months. To be mentioned in such a high level document is the opportunity that many currently servicing Reserves have been hoping for over the past 10 years. The opportunity to contribute and support our full time colleagues , the opportunity to contribute to the AGS and to bring our skills , commitement and loyalty to the organisation. For those who are about to join the ranks , you arrive at an extremly exciting time for the Reserve. Many of you will join with certain expectations and aspirations but remember we as Reserves are here to support and assist our full time colleagues, to contribute what we can during our duty tours, to expand our policing skills and thus be a credit to both our individual units and AGS. It will be hard at times , you will be presented with many challenges , physical , mental and emotional but you will be supported by your unit members , Sgts , Inspectors and Supers. Becoming part of an established unit will be difficult , you will be the new boy or girl and it will take time. If I were to offer any advice , it is this , attend regularely for duty as this will allow your fellow unit members to get to know you and to get to trust you. They will learn your weakness and your strenghts. Be willing to learn , to step back in a situation and allow the regular member to do their job , remember at all times you are there to support. If approached by a member of the public at an incident , redirect them to your full time colleague and resist the inclination to take a lead as this will only undermine your full time colleague. Every day will be a school day and policing skills need to be developed over time. Seek advice when you are not sure and rely on your full time colleagues experience and advice. They will not see you wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭donman

This is a moment of change for the Reserve and it has come about by engagement with both Garda Management and the Police Authority over the past number of months. To be mentioned in such a high level document is the opportunity that many currently servicing Reserves have been hoping for over the past 10 years. The opportunity to contribute and support our full time colleagues , the opportunity to contribute to the AGS and to bring our skills , commitement and loyalty to the organisation. For those who are about to join the ranks , you arrive at an extremly exciting time for the Reserve. Many of you will join with certain expectations and aspirations but remember we as Reserves are here to support and assist our full time colleagues, to contribute what we can during our duty tours, to expand our policing skills and thus be a credit to both our individual units and AGS. It will be hard at times , you will be presented with many challenges , physical , mental and emotional but you will be supported by your unit members , Sgts , Inspectors and Supers. Becoming part of an established unit will be difficult , you will be the new boy or girl and it will take time. If I were to offer any advice , it is this , attend regularely for duty as this will allow your fellow unit members to get to know you and to get to trust you. They will learn your weakness and your strenghts. Be willing to learn , to step back in a situation and allow the regular member to do their job , remember at all times you are there to support. If approached by a member of the public at an incident , redirect them to your full time colleague and resist the inclination to take a lead as this will only undermine your full time colleague. Every day will be a school day and policing skills need to be developed over time. Seek advice when you are not sure and rely on your full time colleagues experience and advice. They will not see you wrong.

Thank you skydiver1961. Great piece of information and advice for all us Newbies but you forgot to mention a key point. You forgot to mention people like yourselves, if we're lucky enough to be stationed where there are other Reservists. You will be every bit as important to our development and progress in the force as Mentors, as we will look to you also for advice, due to your experience within the force as Reservists. Thank you again for taking the time to post on here. Greatly appreciated.

Thank you Donman , I did indeed forget to mention fellow Reserves who will be more than happy to help out. Given the level of experience within the Reserve rank they are vital when you arrive at your new station following training. I have myself been involved in training and having arrrived in a station with no reserves some 9 years ago I remember well the sense of not knowing what I could do or not do...To spend a full tour with an experienced Reserve will give you a good head start and a clear indication what you can do both in the station and when you are on mobile patrol or public events....Within the Reserve ranks ,we have some very qualified and capable individuals , who contribute well in excess of the min 208 hours per year and thus their experience level is extremley high. So I would advise if you arrive at your new station, seek these Reserves out , make contact and ask for advice. They will only be too happy to hear from you and offer assistance. If you can hit the ground running and provide support to your unit from the start you will establish your creditabilty within the station very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 corkcoco

All, I have been through the GR process since Apr 2017 & recently met with the local sergeant who told me he had no issues & would progress the application but have heard nothing since...just wondering if anybody is still in this position also as it looks v.unlikely now that I will be called for training by the end of the month ??

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

corkcoco wrote: »
    All, I have been through the GR process since Apr 2017 & recently met with the local sergeant who told me he had no issues & would progress the application but have heard nothing since...just wondering if anybody is still in this position also as it looks v.unlikely now that I will be called for training by the end of the month ??

Maybe give them a call. They want people to get them to their required numbers so it's in their interest to move you along. Did the sergeant mention anything about meeting the super for a chat? Hope you get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 corkcoco

Yea he mentioned re meeting the super but still waiting to get a call, contacted HQ but not much info coming back......

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

There doesn't seem to be another recruitment campaign coming up, but then again they might start recruiting for the reserves. I personally wouldn't think a recruitment drive is upcoming for them. Their will be another full-time recruitment though later this year i'd say and you'd nearly have a better chance in getting into that.

Cheers

Just unsure what to do currently doing s lvl 5 college course, going into a lvl 6 next year, what do you think should I try the for the full time? Have a small problem with the Irish but plan on getting some sort of grinds if I get that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭howsitgoingboy

Cheers

Just unsure what to do currently doing s lvl 5 college course, going into a lvl 6 next year, what do you think should I try the for the full time? Have a small problem with the Irish but plan on getting some sort of grinds if I get that far.

It’s up to yourself buddy if you want to apply for the full time, a recruitment drive will come around quicker for the full time rather than the reserve. Stay in education anyway as you can leave that whenever you want. Did you ever think about going and doing a level 8 course from your level 5. I know for a fact there’s paths into courses like criminal justices studies, law and legal studies. If you struggle with Irish you can make up for it depending on how much you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Spanout90

Email just landed in my inbox, Garda history, invite and info document and a Hepatitis screening document . Said a more detailed letter will be sent out.

Looks like Friday night is the best time to arrive as it’s a sign in from 8am Saturday morning.

Spanout90 wrote: »
    Email just landed in my inbox, Garda history, invite and info document and a Hepatitis screening document . Said a more detailed letter will be sent out.

Looks like Friday night is the best time to arrive as it’s a sign in from 8am Saturday morning.

Normally there are rooms availabe in the college or sometimes a local B&B. For those that may have never had a Hep innocolation ..This involves going to the Medical Centre in the Park on three seperate occassions to recieve an injection and then a forth visit to take blood to ensure the innocolation has been successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭gem112

Skydiver how long on average does the full training start to finish take

• Advertisement

gem112 wrote: »
    Skydiver how long on average does the full training start to finish take

I completed mine 9 years ago so may have changed but from recollection , we did 4 weekends in the college , then legal studies in Stores St , two nights per week for 8 weeks , then back to the college for 1 weekend ..Out to a training station to complete 40 hours operational training. Started training in April and was attested in November. Attestation is sometimes delayed due to the fact they try to get a large batch sworn in. There was about 100 at my attestation so it was about 3 phases..........Attestation is when you take the oath and are given your badge and allocated your station...I was lucky and was posted back to my training station

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭gem112

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Spanout90

Skydiver what sort of timeline was it from the initial two days? I may be out of the country in early May for 10 days so curious.

Spanout90 wrote: »
    Skydiver what sort of timeline was it from the initial two days? I may be out of the country in early May for 10 days so curious.

If you look further up the thread , have listed the sort of time frame for training.Of course this may have changed. Not sure how they would handle weekends you are not available. There was a change to training with the recruits been asked to attend the college for a full two weeks.

That would be perfect, I'm holding onto my holidays just incase it is the two full weeks...
    I think it would make more sence to stay down there and focus on the training rather than breaking it up... Anyone know if that's the way it's being done...

Anyone know if that's the way it's being done...

I'd say they don't know themselves yet!! We probably won't be told until we go down to Templemore next weekend.

I'd say they don't know themselves yet!! We probably won't be told until we go down to Templemore next weekend.

Ah I'm still waiting for my medical so Il hopefully be going down in quarter 2... unless a miracle happens & I get a call today.. il leave work immediately & fly over to HQ :-)

Ah I'm still waiting for my medical so Il hopefully be going down in quarter 2... unless a miracle happens & I get a call today.. il leave work immediately & fly over to HQ :-)

Keep the faith. Still a week to go. You'd never know

One of the benefits of been a member of AGS is that you never be called for jury duty

• Advertisement

Looked through some old paper work and found my invitation to the college to commence training 9 years ago

Phase 1 2 day induction
    Phase 2 56 hours legal studies with exams broken into 3 hour modules
    Phase 3 2 days in college..self defence / radio training / role play /handcuff training
    Phase 4 40 hours operational Station Training
    Phase 5 Attestation

Remember you will need to supply HR in the Park with your original birth cert . When you attend the college on the first day you will need proof of ID ..passport and driving license. Married ladies will need their marraige certificate
    Dress is smart casual
    Also required is track suit and runners

Advertisement