Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda reserve

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 issagenius88

kinglong wrote: »
    Did HR tell you this I am waiting on medical

Did my medical eye test in March and passed everything, that was the last since I heard back from them.

Kinda loosing hope on it now after 3 years of waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭kinglong

Did my medical eye test in March and passed everything, that was the last since I heard back from them.

Kinda loosing hope on it now after 3 years of waiting
    Stick with it

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Eire_1600

Anyone know if the reserves are going to begin recruiting anytime soon? I thought the need another 1000 by the end of next year. Does anyone think there is a chance of a campaign before Christmas? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Ciano1997

Eire_1600 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the reserves are going to begin recruiting anytime soon? I thought the need another 1000 by the end of next year. Does anyone think there is a chance of a campaign before Christmas? Thanks.

I hope man. Supposed to increase the force by 2’000 so.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Skynet90

Now Drew Harris has to rethink the Garda Reserve. Mark my words it will be disbanded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭gem112

Skynet where did you see this

gem112 wrote: »
    Skynet where did you see this

Look up Garda Reserve on google and the article is in the news section. It won’t let me copy the link because I’m a new user. It’s about half way down the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

There's nothing saying that.

Is that the OPINION article in the times by Michael McDowell

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Willm5499

Does anyone know what on earth is going on with the intake from the competition that was held in Aug 2017 ?.... One rumour after another about this intake but does anyone actually know ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Crusher82

At this stage it's a complete farce not a word of the 100 that did get as far as templemore as for the rest of us that are left waiting we must be forgotten about .. I doubt very much they will have 2000 by 2021 now anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Tommy_utd16

Crusher82 wrote: »
    At this stage it's a complete farce not a word of the 100 that did get as far as templemore as for the rest of us that are left waiting we must be forgotten about .. I doubt very much they will have 2000 by 2021 now anyways

Hard to tell what they will do with the Garda reserve, only the 100 that started this year would have some idea from what they were told in templemore, but none of them seem to be posting anything, must be too afraid to now after getting the ole stay away from social media ‘talk’ while down there

I might give the appointment section in HQ a quick call just to ask. I know they are very hush hush and give the same answer... "ah some checks are still being carried out"... It doesn't matter how big your application is theres no way it takes over two years to complete the background checks......

Quick update for everyone... I emailed the appointments office last night explaining I was frustrated at the lack of information being given on my application from the competition 2017 and asked if it was still active or what was going on. I just got a reply :

Dear Candidate,

At present the Garda Reserve admission is currently on hold. As soon as there is further developments on this we will be in touch in due course. We appreciate your ongoing interest in joining An Garda Síochána.

Read this looks like we r going have to apply again 😡😡

Under the Garda Síochána Act 2005, the allocation and distribution of resources including the recruitment and training of Garda members and members of the Garda Reserve is entirely a matter for the Garda Commissioner. As Minister, I have no responsibility in this matter. I am assured however that Garda management keeps the distribution of resources under continual review in the context of crime trends and policing priorities, to ensure their optimum use.

The strength of the Garda Reserve in each of the years from 2009 to 30 June 2019, as provided by me by the Garda Commissioner, is available on my Department’s website at the following link

It should be noted that the distribution of Garda Reserves is included in that table on a Divisional basis only.

I am informed by An Garda Síochána that a class of approximately 100 Garda reserve recruits commenced training in March 2019 at the Garda College, Templemore. This is a positive development and delivers on the target set out under 'A Policing Service for the Future', the implementation plan for the Report of the Commission on the Future of Policing in Ireland.

Finally and as the Deputy may be aware, An Garda Síochána is currently conducting a strategic review of the Garda Reserve to inform future decisions around its use. This approach is in line with the recommendation in the Report of the Commission on the Future of Policing in Ireland. The Strategy is expected to inform the development and preparation for a new Reserve recruitment drive by the end of 2019.

Read this looks like we r going have to apply again 😡😡

Under the Garda Síochána Act 2005, the allocation and distribution of resources including the recruitment and training of Garda members and members of the Garda Reserve is entirely a matter for the Garda Commissioner. As Minister, I have no responsibility in this matter. I am assured however that Garda management keeps the distribution of resources under continual review in the context of crime trends and policing priorities, to ensure their optimum use.

The strength of the Garda Reserve in each of the years from 2009 to 30 June 2019, as provided by me by the Garda Commissioner, is available on my Department’s website at the following link

It should be noted that the distribution of Garda Reserves is included in that table on a Divisional basis only.

I am informed by An Garda Síochána that a class of approximately 100 Garda reserve recruits commenced training in March 2019 at the Garda College, Templemore. This is a positive development and delivers on the target set out under 'A Policing Service for the Future', the implementation plan for the Report of the Commission on the Future of Policing in Ireland.

Finally and as the Deputy may be aware, An Garda Síochána is currently conducting a strategic review of the Garda Reserve to inform future decisions around its use. This approach is in line with the recommendation in the Report of the Commission on the Future of Policing in Ireland. The Strategy is expected to inform the development and preparation for a new Reserve recruitment drive by the end of 2019.

That will be my second time applying, they can go **** themselfs haha

Skynet90 wrote: »
    That will be my second time applying, they can go **** themselfs haha

B my third 😡

B my third 😡

Years waiting, and I can guarantee if we started again the same thing would happen. I have literally no interest in it anymore.

Years waiting, and I can guarantee if we started again the same thing would happen. I have literally no interest in it anymore.
    Why did you have to apply twice I am waiting on a medical myself just wondering how that situation came about (applying twice).

kinglong wrote: »
    Why did you have to apply twice I am waiting on a medical myself just wondering how that situation came about (applying twice).

Applied the first time , then in 2017 they started a new recruitment and asked us if we where still interested and if so we had to start all over again (bar the tests and interview). It’s gone to long now you wouldn’t be waiting on a medical anymore ,because by the time they get off their hole in that office Background checks will have to be done again. I’m waiting like 6 years so people that applied in 2017 got in b4 me. The process is so ****ed up and I’m sick of it. If they ask me to fill out the BR form for a third time I will honestly till them to **** off and stop wasting my time.

• Advertisement

Applied the first time , then in 2017 they started a new recruitment and asked us if we where still interested and if so we had to start all over again (bar the tests and interview). It’s gone to long now you wouldn’t be waiting on a medical anymore ,because by the time they get off their hole in that office Background checks will have to be done again. I’m waiting like 6 years so people that applied in 2017 got in b4 me. The process is so ****ed up and I’m sick of it. If they ask me to fill out the BR form for a third time I will honestly till them to **** off and stop wasting my time.

Sorry to hear that don't give up I would say there will be push for more full time and reserve's soon.Visibility is needed out their most Guards I spoke to are very in favour of the reserve it's just bureaucracy standing in the way just send in your BR form again I am sure you have it saved on your PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Skydiver1961

Follwing the last intake of 99 recruits currently there are 86 remaining. Could be a variety of reason why they discontinued their training both personal and role related. Currently we are awaiting the finalisation of the Reserve Strategy which is with the Commissioner . Best guess is that when this has been signed off , we will see a recommentment of recruiting to the Reserve Rank

Follwing the last intake of 99 recruits currently there are 86 remaining. Could be a variety of reason why they discontinued their training both personal and role related. Currently we are awaiting the finalisation of the Reserve Strategy which is with the Commissioner . Best guess is that when this has been signed off , we will see a recommentment of recruiting to the Reserve Rank

That “Reserve strategy” plan was meant to have been signed off months back. I can guarantee you nothing will happen anytime soon. And when they finally do pull the finger out it will be another new recruitment that maybe 100 people will get in. They don’t give a **** about volunteers. And those 13/14 people probably dropped out because they seen that. I for one am done with them.

That “Reserve strategy” plan was meant to have been signed off months back. I can guarantee you nothing will happen anytime soon. And when they finally do pull the finger out it will be another new recruitment that maybe 100 people will get in. They don’t give a **** about volunteers. And those 13/14 people probably dropped out because they seen that. I for one am done with them.

Tend to have a more positive view ..My experience is that Reserves are indeed appreciated ...of course some would argue against that view but my experience has been a good one. I myslef was waiting about 18 months from date of application to entry to Templemore. Dont know the reasons why some dropped out but could surmise that it didnt suit them and their preception of the role may have been way off in relation to the actual role. We have been included in the Police Reform process and I for one would rather they take their time and get the strategy right.

Tend to have a more positive view ..My experience is that Reserves are indeed appreciated ...of course some would argue against that view but my experience has been a good one. I myslef was waiting about 18 months from date of application to entry to Templemore. Dont know the reasons why some dropped out but could surmise that it didnt suit them and their preception of the role may have been way off in relation to the actual role. We have been included in the Police Reform process and I for one would rather they take their time and get the strategy right.

Ya well I have been waiting 6 years. And they put people that applied 2017 in front of me. So dunno how the hell I could be positive about it. If you ring in that office and they give out the same generic answer every time, year after year. You had to wait 18 months which is grand and I’d of been happy to wait that long. Trust me if you had waited as long as me you’d think there a bunch of **** aswell.

Totally understandable to be waiting such a long time is not good. If there was a problem with your vetting then the decent thing would to be informed of the issue or just notified that you were not successful...to be left in limbo is stressful

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Joonnor212

Totally understandable to be waiting such a long time is not good. If there was a problem with your vetting then the decent thing would to be informed of the issue or just notified that you were not successful...to be left in limbo is stressful

There’s no way that I’m applying again!
    It took me weeks just to get all my family addresses on my side and the wife’s side and at this stage half have sold and bought new homes.
    I originally went and did an EMT course to help with my application and I’m now on the panel for the HSE paramedic so think I’ll stick with that.
    The lack of communication is what annoys me!

Joonnor212 wrote: »
    There’s no way that I’m applying again!
    It took me weeks just to get all my family addresses on my side and the wife’s side and at this stage half have sold and bought new homes.
    I originally went and did an EMT course to help with my application and I’m now on the panel for the HSE paramedic so think I’ll stick with that.
    The lack of communication is what annoys me!

I’m definitely not applying again. Even if we apply again it will be the same story they will take on the first 100 that have the fastest vetting. Even tho they have loads of us waiting.

Have a look at last nights 6/1 news,about 23mins in.....

• Advertisement

gem112 wrote: »
    Have a look at last nights 6/1 news,about 23mins in.....

I seen that poor lad was waiting 12 years. There asking people from different backgrounds to contact them, So basically if your Irish get to the back of the q. I can honestly never see myself getting in. There will always be set backs.

Advertisement