Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate change protests

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

so has climate change been solved after these protests?

You mean like every other one shot protest that resolved the issue which they were campaigning against with just one demonstration?

Civil rights, anti-apartheid, repeal of the 8th, same sex marriage, Brexit/Remain, yellow vest protests. All these are famous for only having had to happen once.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to be fair, if one-shot protests *did* work, i'd be out protesting about stupid online straw man arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,855 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You mean like every other one shot protest that resolved the issue which they were campaigning against with just one demonstration?

Civil rights, anti-apartheid, repeal of the 8th, same sex marriage, Brexit/Remain, yellow vest protests. All these are famous for only having had to happen once.

Most of those had very deep rooted or were series of protests and campaigns over many years. They didn't pop up out of a vacuum.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Most of those had very deep rooted or were series of protests and campaigns over many years. They didn't pop up out of a vacuum.

Is the campaign about climate change any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Harika

Did they start at some point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭sonic85

If there was a law brought in banning non recyclable materials that would be a start. The amount of packaging that can't be recycled is unreal. Were swimming in waste and it's fcuking disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 15,855 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Is the campaign about climate change any different?

"Green" costs money. Governments and the general public don't like spending money they think they don't have to.
    You know this already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Yeah right, they’ll be all back living like we did in the 70’s when they leave school.

Looks like our little climate angel isn’t all she’s cracked up to be.

https://www.thegwpf.com/greta-thunberg-pr-puppet-or-climate-figurehead/

It's not really an equal argument.
    One side: Unanimous agreement amongst the top scientists in the field climate change is a serious issue.

Denier Side: But her mom works in PR and Leo DeCaprio flies in a plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

note the use of *were driven* instead of *drove*.
    again, blame the children for the choices of their parents.

Yeah the adults had to twist their arms to get on the car as they wanted to walk instead. If you believe they are so enlightened about the environment why have they enlightened their parents about it and get them to ditch their cars.

The thought of Dakota Dan hanging around outside a school watching children for an extended period is somewhat sinister.

Do you always dream up strange fantasies to win an argument?

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    And these in the main are the 'young' people of Ireland...

The excuses why so much rubbish / good tents / sleeping bags / Wellingtons were thrown away beggrered belief

I attended concerts and festivals over many years and still have the (crap) tent from the very first festival I went to many decades ago. And our disposable generation are now screaming it's others fault?

"Young people of Ireland we love you"

:rolleyes:

I seem to remember a few years ago that organisers of one music festival said that all tents and sleeping bags left would be donated to homeless charities. So, don’t be blaming the youth of Ireland for thinking that they were actually doing a good deed.

I seem to remember a few years ago that organisers of one music festival said that all tents and sleeping bags left would be donated to homeless charities. So, don’t be blaming the youth of Ireland for thinking that they were actually doing a good deed.

So why did they leave their rubbish aw well then? The only reason they gave them to charity is because they were left behind as well as plenty other rubbish.

So why did they leave their rubbish aw well then? The only reason they gave them to charity is because they were left behind as well as plenty other rubbish.

I don’t think that they DID give any to charity. It was just an empty PR stunt.

There’s no doubting the Irish syche which says that someone else will do it, no matter what “it” is, rubbish collected, housing etc.

How many under 18's go to the electric picnic? Very few.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yeah the adults had to twist their arms to get on the car as they wanted to walk instead. If you believe they are so enlightened about the environment why have they enlightened their parents about it and get them to ditch their cars.
    Dakota Dan is Louise Mensch and i claim my €10.

20Cent wrote: »
    How many under 18's go to the electric picnic? Very few.

So when the 16 year olds this year go there in two years time the place will be spotless after them?

DKNR8h7W4AA5RGA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

'Said' indeed. Pious words and intentions which little if any were recycled or reused. Much of the tents and sleeping bags left behind were thrashed or rendered unusable afaik. Like f*ck they 'were actually doing a good deed" . These lazy arsed concert goers were quite happy to participate in throwaway consumerism whilst others of the same generation are virtue signaling. Thanks but I dont need to be lectured by a generation of litter louts all the same.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/electric-picnic-2018-reckless-revellers-13192251

gozunda wrote: »
    'Said' indeed. Pious words and intentions which little if any were recycled or reused. Much of the tents and sleeping bags left behind were thrashed or rendered unusable afaik. Like f*ck they 'were actually doing a good deed" . These lazy arsed concert goers were quite happy to participate in throwaway consumerism whilst others of the same generation are virtue signaling. Thanks but I dont need to be lectured by a generation of litter louts all the same.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/electric-picnic-2018-reckless-revellers-13192251

Cos schoolkids go to the electric picnic.

• Advertisement

But in some years all of them will and all of them will behave like pigs, that is the only way that it will happen. Happend in the past, happens now and will happen again! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

climate change will be solved when people accept that their standard of living in terms of convenience needs to go way down

climate change will be solved when people accept that their standard of living in terms of convenience needs to go way down

How would the standard of living shrinking, when you use less packaging and throw less stuff away or use public transport more often?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

If we implemented proper policies in relation public transport and expanding cycling infrastructure in cities, then the quality of life for many would go up rather than down, and if we were to roll out nuclear power, then that would also benefit people by keeping electricity prices stable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Auntie Semite

I think these protests are astroturfing in preparation for significant tax increases coming down the line.
    Emotional blackmail in order to get people to accept the taxes.

I think these protests are astroturfing in preparation for significant tax increases coming down the line.
    Emotional blackmail in order to get people to accept the taxes.

Let me guess George Soros is behind it?

significant tax increases on tinfoil hats, hopefully.

Harika wrote: »
    How would the standard of living shrinking, when you use less packaging and throw less stuff away or use public transport more often?

I think he's referring to the business leaders who profit from the wastefullness of consumerism & planned obsolescence. They will see a huge drop in their standard of living as they're forced to forget about the €20million yacht and settle for the 10 million one instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

So the 18 year olds of this year are massively different from next year yeah? You do know a generation is not a single year. And those who are18 and in school and go? That detailed above or are you more into whatabouterty?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

This thread is a bit of a car crash, all things considered.

Advertisement