Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate change protests

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I think these protests are astroturfing in preparation for significant tax increases coming down the line.
    Emotional blackmail in order to get people to accept the taxes.

So you think the young people are being mind controlled?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So you think the young people are being mind controlled?
    They are doing what young people and students do, protest. Mind controlled? No, but there is an element of following a fad about it. That said, I see it is a very good thing and a big issue to be pushed. The question is where it goes and how it evolves. Protests alone will get old very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

RHJ wrote: »
    If we implemented proper policies in relation public transport and expanding cycling infrastructure in cities, then the quality of life for many would go up rather than down, and if we were to roll out nuclear power, then that would also benefit people by keeping electricity prices stable.

Nuclear power stations in the US are losing money because gas is so cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I think he's referring to the business leaders who profit from the wastefullness of consumerism & planned obsolescence. They will see a huge drop in their standard of living as they're forced to forget about the €20million yacht and settle for the 10 million one instead.
    yes partly. but also stuff like low cost disposable fashion, a new phone upgrade every year, cheap flights - stuff the great unwashed enjoy.

yes partly. but also stuff like low cost disposable fashion, a new phone upgrade every year, cheap flights - stuff the great unwashed enjoy.
    Successful marketing in action.

Create a desire, provide a "fix", sell the product = profit!
    Consumers need educating into the waste that they're buying into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

gozunda wrote: »
    So the 18 year olds of this year are massively different from next year yeah? You do know a generation is not a single year. And those who are18 and in school and go? That detailed above or are you more into whatabouterty?

Electric pincnic is the festival for the old farts. If you've ever been most people are older at it. Yeah 18 year olds attitudes definitely change. Being green is much more important to this generation than any before. Attitudes change over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

20Cent wrote: »
    Electric pincnic is the festival for the old farts. If you've ever been most people are older at it. Yeah 18 year olds attitudes definitely change. Being green is much more important to this generation than any before. Attitudes change over time.

Old farts? You mean people over 18 lol

Nope. I was in school when Environmental issues saw its first big push. Recycling, acid rain, rainforest destruction, you name it.

As kids we had very little cash to spend. What was - was minded. Tents were patched and taken home. If you left behind anything your Ma would have killed you whilst you lived at home and even if you didn't all there was little or no throwaway culture as money wasnt there. Fast forward to now we have kids virtue signaling about the old farts whilst living in a disposable culture and inhabiting a universe of social media virtue signaling. They can fek off with that rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Nope. I was in school when Environmental issues saw its first big push. Recycling, acid rain, rainforest destruction, you name it.

As kids we had very little cash to spend. What was was minded. Tents were patched and taken home. If you left behind anything your Ma would have killed you whilst you lived at home and even if you didn't all there was little or no throwaway culture as money wasnt there. Fast forward to now we have kids virtue signaling about the old farts whilst living in a disposable culture and inhabiting a universe of social media virtue signaling. They can fek off with that rubbish.

So are you going to start your own climate change demonstrations because you surely know more about the damage which has been and is being done than those pesky kids.

As kids we had very little cash to spend. What was was minded. Tents were patched and taken home. If you left behind anything your Ma would have killed you whilst you lived at home and even if you didn't all there was little or no throwaway culture as money wasnt there. Fast forward to now we have kids virtue signaling about the old farts whilst living in a disposable culture and inhabiting a universe of social media virtue signaling. They can fek off with that rubbish.

Threads about schoolkids. Crowd at EP tend to be older as in 30's.

Claiming virtue signalling is the lazy way of dismissing concerns.

So are you going to start your own climate change demonstrations because you surely know more about the damage which has been and is being done than those pesky kids.

Lol. 'Demostations' being the word ... sweet lord

Harangue the poster & etc rather than the post ... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Threads about schoolkids. Crowd at EP tend to be older as in 30's.

Claiming virtue signalling is the lazy way of dismissing concerns.

Ooooh 30s - definitely 'old farts'! Btw Just in case you'd missed it - we are talking about all youngsters even those up to 30! . Most really don't have a fracking clue imo. But that wont stop a lot of them using any excuse to bunk a day of school or if very slightly older pontificate to the rest of us on social media...

There is literally no point talking to climate change deniars at this stage. If the science can't convince them best leave them to their ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,006 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There is literally no point talking to climate change deniars at this stage. If the science can't convince them best leave them to their ignorance.

Thought just popped into my head, what percentage of those who listen to the science and know that climate change is real, still believe in God?

Very worthwhile taking the moral high ground there - once the sea level rises it will come in handy for certain ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,389 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you have to hand it to the 'goddamn good for nothing schoolkids' crowd, to be fair.
    they've had us arguing about things the kids at the protest definitely did not do (i.e. make **** of the campsite at electric picnic) and about things they've claimed with no actual evidence (that they were all driven to the protest in SUVs or summat; or that they probably littered the place beyond recognition).
    rather than actually arguing the merits of the message, they're urinating on the messenger.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Thought just popped into my head, what percentage of those who listen to the science and know that climate change is real, still believe in God?
    Probably far too many!

"Green" costs money. Governments and the general public don't like spending money they think they don't have to.
    You know this already.

They do have to.

you have to hand it to the 'goddamn good for nothing schoolkids' crowd, to be fair.
    they've had us arguing about things the kids at the protest definitely did not do (i.e. make **** of the campsite at electric picnic) and about things they've claimed with no actual evidence (that they were all driven to the protest in SUVs or summat; or that they probably littered the place beyond recognition).
    rather than actually arguing the merits of the message, they're urinating on the messenger.

Yeah sure - if you don't read the comments and try to split hairs instead. Nasty thing hair splitting - I hear its caused by bad climatic conditions ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They do have to.

Well, duh...

Yeah sure - if you don't read the comments and try to split hairs instead. Nasty thing hair splitting - I hear its caused by bad climatic conditions ... ;)

This makes no sense. Was that intentional?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Nothing at all. Fair play to anyone who protests for change. They kept it peaceful too, which is brilliant.

But it's very difficult to take a protest seriously when all news coverage shows is people who seemingly have no clue what they're protesting for.

I hope a couple of educated spokespeople come out on behalf of the the protesters actually, because I agree with protesting against climate change.

This +++1

I was watching it on the news (TV3 I think) and my face hurt from cringing. It kept going from kid to kid with a mic in their face spouting the same generalist rubbish and then the reporter asked them "and what do you think the government should do about it?" and all of them stammered for a minute before saying "They need to listen to young people it's our future!" :o :rolleyes:

Out of all the kids they interviewed only one knew what she was talking about and why she was there. I know they're only kids and you can't expect them to know much about this stuff, but it was embarrassing.

If that protest had happened during the summer hols it would not have taken off. Of course there's not a hope it will be taken seriously: governments only take notice of people who threaten to withdraw their votes or their labour. The kiddos can do neither.

More generally, I think it's already too late to do much about climate change now. The last two years have seen multiple records broken or almost bested in terms of extreme weather in Ireland alone. It's already on top of us now and the changes that need to be made should have been made 20 years ago.

Who are these deniars or more to the point what is a deniar?

wiggle16 wrote: »
    This +++1

I was watching it on the news (TV3 I think) and my face hurt from cringing. It kept going from kid to kid with a mic in their face spouting the same generalist rubbish and then the reporter asked them "and what do you think the government should do about it?" and all of them stammered for a minute before saying "They need to listen to young people it's our future!" :o :rolleyes:

Out of all the kids they interviewed only one knew what she was talking about and why she was there. I know they're only kids and you can't expect them to know much about this stuff, but it was embarrassing.

If that protest had happened during the summer hols it would not have taken off. Of course there's not a hope it will be taken seriously: governments only take notice of people who threaten to withdraw their votes or their labour. The kiddos can do neither.

More generally, I think it's already too late to do much about climate change now. The last two years have seen multiple records broken or almost bested in terms of extreme weather in Ireland alone. It's already on top of us now and the changes that need to be made should have been made 20 years ago.
    So there you have it the weather over the last two years is proof of climate change :rolleyes:

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    So there you have it the weather over the last two years is proof of climate change :rolleyes:
    Oh, there we go. Reductionist paraphrasing with a sarcastic emoji to thoroughly misrepresent what I've said. How have you not been booked for Vicar Street yet?

Multiple longstanding records being broken over a short space of time would indicate that there is something very unusual happening, and that therefore something is changing. Like the climate, maybe.

Oh, there we go. Reductionist paraphrasing with a sarcastic emoji to thoroughly misrepresent what I've said. How have you not been booked for Vicar Street yet?

Multiple longstanding records being broken over a short space of time would indicate that there is something very unusual happening, and that therefore something is changing. Like the climate, maybe.

You mean like all the predictions climate scientists make that fail to pan out?https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/10/30/some-failed-climate-predictions/

You mean like all the predictions climate scientists make that fail to pan out?https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/10/30/some-failed-climate-predictions/

Please.

No, I don't. I mean the observable, demonstrable changes to the climate and the environment you can see all around you if you peeled yourself away from a screen for a few minutes.
    The ones I've seen so far myself this year: Plants coming out of the ground and into bloom weeks if not months in advance (daffodils, dicentra, digitalis, crocosmia) or blooming non-stop through a winter that should have killed them (agapanthus, cosmos) . Bats awaking from hibernation before there is anything for them to eat. Black ants active and outdoors in February. Roses coming into bud in December. On Friday I saw a magpie feeding chicks - she shouldn't even be laying eggs until April. And I live in Dublin city, not the countryside. All of these things point to higher than average temperatures over a sustained period - accounted for by climate change.

We could throw links back and forth at one another all day long. It would be great fun, but I'm not arsed explaining this to you and unfortunately I can't understand it for you.

Off you go to google for another link that will explain away everything I've said, and a short quip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

DKNR8h7W4AA5RGA.jpg
    That meme gets used to dismiss but there is plenty of truth in it - lots of people moan about other people not improving things, and it is nonsense to complain about Apple from an iPhone and about capitalism via Facebook and about society when we are all part of society.

I'm not a climate change denier btw but I just really dislike that meme! I wouldn't have a problem with this demonstration either (and as I said, glad of the awareness being created) but I don't think those taking part, generally, are going to change their own environment impacting habits.

Please.

No, I don't. I mean the observable, demonstrable changes to the climate and the environment you can see all around you if you peeled yourself away from a screen for a few minutes.
    The ones I've seen so far myself this year: Plants coming out of the ground and into bloom weeks if not months in advance (daffodils, dicentra, digitalis, crocosmia) or blooming non-stop through a winter that should have killed them (agapanthus, cosmos) . Bats awaking from hibernation before there is anything for them to eat. Black ants active and outdoors in February. Roses coming into bud in December. On Friday I saw a magpie feeding chicks - she shouldn't even be laying eggs until April. And I live in Dublin city, not the countryside. All of these things point to higher than average temperatures over a sustained period - accounted for by climate change.

We could throw links back and forth at one another all day long. It would be great fun, but I'm not arsed explaining this to you and unfortunately I can't understand it for you.

Off you go to google for another link that will explain away everything I've said, and a short quip.

We had mild winters 20 years ago with daffodils blooming in November/December nothing new. Maybe you should stop making assumptions I work outdoors. Do you know it’s a discussion forum?

We had mild winters 20 years ago with daffodils blooming in November/December nothing new. Maybe you should stop making assumptions I work outdoors. Do you know it’s a discussion forum?

Yes. And right now we are discussing how some people are so ignorant that they think their subjective opinion is a valid counter point to the scientific evidence.

• Advertisement

That meme gets used to dismiss but there is plenty of truth in it - lots of people moan about other people not improving things, and it is nonsense to complain about Apple from an iPhone and about capitalism via Facebook and about society when we are all part of society.

If that was the case nothing would change ever.

Advertisement