Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate change protests

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭buried

If they want to make a real difference and protest they should be protesting and demanding that the voting age requirement should be 14 years of age and that all of them are forced to vote in every election, just like they are forced to go to school.
    Lets see the politicians smile at them outside Leinster House and go for that craic

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Giveaway wrote: »
    if those kids were serious about saving the environment they would give up their smartphones, walk or cycle to school and start growing their own food. They could have planted their GAA pitch with spuds this afternoon instead of dossing

Spot on.
    It's virtue signalling, they won't give up their comfy lives.
    Maybe that Swedish wan has*, but vast majority of her followers won't.

* Maybe not, maybe she'll be flown to New York to receive her award.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Yakult wrote: »
    What's wrong with an aul protest? You'd swear some people here were mortally wounded by the thoughts of youth protesting.

It's not that, it's that it's completely hypocritical, how many of these kids do you think walk to school, get a smart phone when they only ABSOLUTELY need a new one (not every year), minimize flying (I'm sure they'll be off to Barcelona this summer while Daddy parks the Range Rover in long term parking) and just generally watch their carbon footprint?

**** all I'd say.

And yes, I am aware I am making assumptions here, but I doubt I'm too far off.

Will they be another brief flash in the pan like the abandoned Occupy Movement or the start of something more serious?

Will politicians take any notice? I doubt it.

Of course the government won’t take any notice. The protesters are all too young to vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

ah lads I haven't been on boards in ages but when I heard about the protests the first thing I thought is the ould fellas on after hours must be having a field day. this thread has been everything I expected so far. I can see how it could be easy to get frustrated at ye but I actually find it hilarious. keep it up!

I'll help ye along:

Why don't they just get jobs! Then they'll know what real life is like! Sure ya can't achieve anything ever! They don't know the meaning of suffering! Snowflakes!

Yeah as soon as I clicked into this thread I knew there would be posters on here moaning that they are protesting. If people didn't protest then no political change would ever have happened, we woud be still living in the Dark Ages. Humanity would never have moved forward without people agitating for change. The attitude to protesting you see on here is best summarised as 'Man who has benefitted from other people protesting criticises more people protesting'

Fair play to them I say, Ireland is now one of the dirty men of Europe and will miss our Paris Agreement promises by a country mile. Its time the politicians woke up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

The level of cynicism required to begrudge children wanting clean air is Herculean.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah as soon as I clicked into this thread I knew there would be posters on here moaning that they are protesting. If people didn't protest then no political change would ever have happened, we woud be still living in the Dark Ages. Humanity would never have moved forward without people agitating for change. The attitude to protesting you see on here is best summarised as 'Man who has benefitted from other people protesting criticises more people protesting'

Fair play to them I say, Ireland is now one of the dirty men of Europe and will miss our Paris Agreement promises by a country mile. Its time the politicians woke up.

Politicians wake up means the average Irish person will have to pay through the nose for it. Usual story

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Politicians wake up means the average Irish person will have to pay through the nose for it. Usual story

Did they say what they wanted the gubberment to do?

Did they say what they wanted the gubberment to do?

Does it matter? Any change costs money. Tax payers money.

The damage caused by climate change will cost much more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Some of those slogans, we're ehhhh......different

'destroy my pussy, not the Earth'

Am I missing a meme or something here. Seems like a bizarre slogan to carry around.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,184 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Of course the government won’t take any notice. The protesters are all too young to vote!

The government dont take much heed of the grumpy auld ones here that do vote/whinge about "their" taxes for everything.

20Cent wrote: »
    The damage caused by climate change will cost much more.

Hand over everything they ask so. See if it makes a difference.

I won't be

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Do you have an alternative to weaning us off fossil fuels? If not taxation of fossil fuels combined with increased renewable engeries then what is your solution to solving climate change?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭screamer

some of them will be totally mortified when viewing that footage as their adult selves. I wonder how many would turn up on a Saturday..... yep didn’t think so

Do you have an alternative to weaning us off fossil fuels? If not taxation then what is your solution to solving climate change?

Nuclear baby, as an island with no natural resources that we haven’t given away, ‘‘tis the only option to give us a viable alternative to fossils.
    Tax= freeze us to death to make us comply, that won’t work. We need a viable alternative

Do you have an alternative to weaning us off fossil fuels? If not taxation of fossil fuels combined with increased renewable engeries then what is your solution to solving climate change?

I don't have one. All countries would have to be in agreement with a plan in place to create sufficient renewable energy to replace fossil fuels. There is no point in our government taxing the hell out of us while the next country continues to pollute.
    Big corporations and oil companies should have an environmental levy forced on them and that fund should be used globally to come up with solutions.

The simplest changes are free!

Consumerism is a major cause of pollution, buy less junk, try to fix it rather than replace it.

Very simple changes, less consumerism = less pollution and unnecessary waste of resources.

Of course, politicians won't support these inititives as it means that their business paymasters will make less money.

Consumerism is a major cause of pollution, buy less junk, try to fix it rather than replace it.

Very simple changes, less consumerism = less pollution and unnecessary waste of resources.

Of course, politicians won't support these inititives as it means that their business paymasters will make less money.

I already do this. I live a fairly minimalist lifestyle by today's standards. Taxing essential heating fuel in winterme so I freeze because I can't afford to heat my house while global companies destroy the planet making billions in the process isn't really a solution

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

screamer wrote: »
    Nuclear baby, as an island with no natural resources that we haven’t given away, ‘‘tis the only option to give us a viable alternative to fossils.
    Tax= freeze us to death to make us comply, that won’t work. We need a viable alternative

Yeah but no because Chernobyl.

Anyway, no point in making any effort because China.

• Advertisement

The entire economy as a whole would suffer if everyone bought less. Jobs etc. Tax take. All would shrink. Taxing individuals is not the solution

Yeah but no because Chernobyl.

Anyway, no point in making any effort because China.

Yeah but yes because of all the European countries who rely on nuclear to help them with a carbon neutral source of fuel, with no big disasters.
    One swallow does not a summer make.

Sure, a nuclear disaster might never happen, punitive carbon taxes will freeze us to death...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

screamer wrote: »
    Yeah but yes because of all the European countries who rely on nuclear to help them with a carbon neutral source of fuel, with no big disasters.
    One swallow does not a summer make.

I was being sarcastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I love seeing young people get out like this, so as I drove out of government buildings today I was gladdened to see kids get out and represent themselves and their passions, in this case climate change.

Then I got a few around the car I was driving flipping me the bird (giving me the middle finger) and thought to myself 'little shits'.

Got down to the corner of Merrion Sq and Clare St and another little shit with pink & green hair also gave me the finger, they could go and fvck themselves after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Fair play to all the kids who took part in the protests, I can only assume they will do their bit and walk to school on Tuesday and forego the lastest iPhone etc.

Hand over everything they ask so. See if it makes a difference.

I won't be

It's a problem that can only be tackled at a national level.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I love seeing young people get out like this, so as I drove out of government buildings today I was gladdened to see kids get out and represent themselves and their passions, in this case climate change.

Then I got a few around the car I was driving flipping me the bird (giving me the middle finger) and thought to myself 'little shits'.

Got down to the corner of Merrion Sq and Clare St and another little shit with pink & green hair also gave me the finger, they could go and fvck themselves after that.

Winning hearts and minds.

The entire economy as a whole would suffer if everyone bought less. Jobs etc. Tax take. All would shrink. Taxing individuals is not the solution
    Is this really a problem? At the end of the day, money is only a lubricant in the economy. As things currently stand, money is lent into the economy when anyone borrows and when wage slaves repay the debt (by borrowing more) the money flows rapidly to the top where it stays!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

AMKC wrote: »
    If these young people want to make a difference they should be getting on to Countries like the USA, China, India, Russia, Poland etc.
    Thank you, I needed the laugh. Who should they contact in China to request a meeting?

• Advertisement

Is this really a problem? At the end of the day, money is only a lubricant in the economy. As things currently stand, money is lent into the economy when anyone borrows and when wage slaves repay the debt (by borrowing more) the money flows rapidly to the top where it stays!

Is people losing their jobs a problem? Hard to know really. Like the recession was great craic wasn't it? What do you think

Advertisement