Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate change protests

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Climate change and it's effects are exaggerated. The climate has changed throughout history

Three words which you should read carefully.

Rate. of. change.

Figure-5-hi.jpg

Also, 12,000 scientists signed a letter to say that they supported the childrens message.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

biko wrote: »
    The kids should protest by taking extra science after school

And sex education courses. AOC isn't wrong, they should question whether having children is good. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-children-climate-change-aoc-instagram-young-people-a8797806.html

And it took major cojones on her part to ask it. Fair play to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I would much rather these ill informed school students took part in yellow vest protests which are actually achieving real change rather than this.

You'd rather they act like scumbags, you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

It’s quite funny how people are blaming us children for our parents’ choices. Also the blaming of the general population for the world’s carbon emissions rather than the big multi-national corporations is quite ludicrous when you actually realise the tiny proportion of carbon emitted from the use of a lift in comparison to these corporations, who are still only being held to few or almost no regulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

You'd rather they act like scumbags, you mean?

That's what happens when people get sick and tired of the bullsh*t from the liberal elite. The yellow vests have already succeeded in getting the carbon tax done away let's hope Macron will resign and someone with France's interests at heart is elected such as Le Pen. No yellow vest protests in Italy as their leaders actually have the nation's interests at hearts.

• Advertisement

That's what happens when people get sick and tired of the bullsh*t from the liberal elite. The yellow vests have already succeeded in getting the carbon tax done away let's Macron will resign and someone with France's interests at heart is elected such as Le Pen. No yellow vest protests in Italy as their leaders actually have the nation's interests at hearts.

It's more the case that people are realising that empty promises just don't cut it anymore.

You seem to be only able to focus on the needs of today. France's interest should be in preserving the natural environment as it should be for every other country also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

jeonahr wrote:
    It’s quite funny how people are blaming us children for our parents’ choices. Also the blaming of the general population for the world’s carbon emissions rather than the big multi-national corporations is quite ludicrous when you actually realise the tiny proportion of carbon emitted from the use of a lift in comparison to these corporations, who are still only being held to few or almost no regulations.

Life lesson, big corporations are catering to demand. Walk to school ditch the iPhone, don't shop in Penny's. Feel free to update if you take my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

That's what happens when people get sick and tired of the bullsh*t from the liberal elite. The yellow vests have already succeeded in getting the carbon tax done away let's hope Macron will resign and someone with France's interests at heart is elected such as Le Pen. No yellow vest protests in Italy as their leaders actually have the nation's interests at hearts.

Ah right, just voting for a fascist elite will sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ah the mighty yellow vest movement. Similar to Renua and Peter Casey highly praised on After Hours. In reality theres just not that much interest.

How many here attended the Irish Yellowvest Protestd?

Edit: Oh dear, you also claimed climate change is exaggerated. You probably did think the Irish Yellowvests are great. Bet you support Irexit aswell.

Ah right, just voting for a fascist elite will sort it.
    Unfortunately, the truth is that no political party that has real policies to reduce the pollution & waste that causes climate change will ever get elected.
    If combined with UBI and other measures that changes the "growth at all costs" economic model and bans planned obsolescence, then we may have a chance. Such a change would need to be global to have any affect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭jackboy

Thermometer based data from 1900. Hmmm.

jackboy wrote: »
    Thermometer based data from 1900. Hmmm.

12,000 scientists...........

12000 scientists signed a letter. Sorry, that is not science.

12000 scientists signed a letter. Sorry, that is not science.

Get yourself a tea/coffee and go to Scopus or Google Scholar or some other source of academic papers and you'll find their actual science.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 Leo Fatkar

jeonahr wrote: »
    Also the blaming of the general population for the world’s carbon emissions rather than the big multi-national corporations is quite ludicrous when you actually realise the tiny proportion of carbon emitted from the use of a lift in comparison to these corporations, who are still only being held to few or almost no regulations.
    Is there anyway we can boycott them

so those 12000 scientists have published research on human caused climate change? The scientists and politicians supporting the school strikes are doing so for pr reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

so those 12000 scientists have published research on human caused climate change? The scientists and politicians supporting the school strikes are doing so for pr reasons.

There is a conspiracy forum somewhere on this website for you.

Simple question.

Do you think human behaviour has significantly and negatively impacted on the environment over the last 100 years or so?

Yes I do believe humans are affecting the climate. However, the extent is not known and we don’t know the ratio of human/natural causes of climate change. The science is only starting and we need vast amounts of further data to understand what is happening. This stuff about we have only 12 years before we are doomed is just made up. Talk about conspiracy theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Yes I do believe humans are affecting the climate. However, the extent is not known and we don’t know the ratio of human/natural causes of climate change. The science is only starting and we need vast amounts of further data to understand what is happening. This stuff about we have only 12 years before we are doomed is just made up. Talk about conspiracy theories.

So you are a climate scientist and are basing this on your years of research to counter that of the thousands of other scientists, yes? Or are you just pulling this out of your hole?

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    So you are a climate scientist and are basing this on your years of research to counter that of the thousands of other scientists, yes? Or are you just pulling this out of your hole?
    Typical. Getting aggressive when challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Typical. Getting aggressive when challenged.

I don't recognise any challenge. You haven't presented any evidence or any rationale to support your position.

Thus far it's just some notion you had that climate change "can't" be as bad as claimed. On what basis are you claiming that?

A few satellite photos taken 30 years apart would provide plenty of evidence of the affects humans are having on the planet, just consider the millions of hectares of natural environment that has been destroyed worldwide since 1989. All of this destruction will have had an affect on the local climate in these areas, that is beyond doubt.

Gbear wrote: »
    I don't recognise any challenge. You haven't presented any evidence or any rationale to support your position.

Thus far it's just some notion you had that climate change "can't" be as bad as claimed. On what basis are you claiming that?
    I’m not claiming that. You have just made that up on the spot.

A few satellite photos taken 30 years apart would provide plenty of evidence of the affects humans are having on the planet, just consider the millions of hectares of natural environment that has been destroyed worldwide since 1989. All of this destruction will have had an affect on the local climate in these areas, that is beyond doubt.
    Yes, I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

20Cent wrote: »
    Great to see young people standing up for their futures. Fair play to them.
    It is great that they're being made aware, but those same teenage girls will continue to stay in the shower for 45 minutes at a time, have the heating blasting when it's a bit breezy (which = "FREEZING!!!!" apparently) and both boys and girls still consume reams and reams of stuff with excessive packaging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

AMKC wrote: »
    If these young people want to make a difference they should be getting on to Countries like the USA, China, India, Russia, Poland etc. They are the real problems. They are putting way more poison into the atmosphere than our little Country ever will and that is the only way change will ever happen. We are just a drop in the ocean. They could however make a tiny difference by giving up their cigarettes if they smoke and stop drinking then maybe they might feel better otherwise they should go back to their school/collage and do some learning like good children.
    Yeah they all - ALL - drink and none whatsoever do any learning. :D
    (I like the way you spelled "college" incorrectly).
    You can thank the femenist movement for that one.
    And there's me thinking it's the crazy high cost of living...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

It is great that they're being made aware, but those same teenage girls will continue to stay in the shower for 45 minutes at a time, have the heating blasting when it's a bit breezy (which = "FREEZING!!!!" apparently) and both boys and girls still consume reams and reams of stuff with excessive packaging.

Younger people are far more ware of the environment in my experience. They are doing stuff like that. But substantial work has to be done at national levels and cooperation between countries.

I have this issue :mad:, it's so bad that Irish water have offered me a free leak test :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

It's hilarious how much resistance is there against this march of young people to preserve the planet for their future. And that's not only in Ireland. E. G Austria the far right government sends out their press people to spin the message like "those kids should better stay in school, there they will learn what they need" (sure their whole educational career is ruined by being absent for a day)
    Or
    "in school they would learn how bad their mobile phones actually are for the environment" (no that would be nice if this is in the curriculum, but the government voted against including this into it)

Advertisement