Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate change protests

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

wpd wrote: »
    should start by banning private cars from giving kids lifts to school

Also take their phones and laptops from them no point talking the talk unless you are going to walk the walk.

So climate change is silly stuff!
    No wonder we are so behind on this.

Yep the climate never before changed until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Harika

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Yep the climate never before changed until now.

It changed never so quickly, with exception of global events like asteroids. But you know tgat

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Spot on.
    It's virtue signalling, they won't give up their comfy lives.
    Maybe that Swedish wan has*, but vast majority of her followers won't.

* Maybe not, maybe she'll be flown to New York to receive her award.

She's just a puppet for the alarmists, you can be damn full sure she didn't start worldwide protests all on her lonesome like they think gullible fools will believe.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah as soon as I clicked into this thread I knew there would be posters on here moaning that they are protesting. If people didn't protest then no political change would ever have happened, we woud be still living in the Dark Ages. Humanity would never have moved forward without people agitating for change. The attitude to protesting you see on here is best summarised as 'Man who has benefitted from other people protesting criticises more people protesting'

Fair play to them I say, Ireland is now one of the dirty men of Europe and will miss our Paris Agreement promises by a country mile. Its time the politicians woke up.
    You need to look up what the dark ages were as they are not what you believe they are.

• Advertisement

The recession didn't have us worrying that o'connell street could be underwater.

Do you honestly think that if coastal cities will be underwater that the banks would be giving 30-40 year mortgages for developments in the same cities?

gozunda wrote: »
    Read an account of this 'movement' here.

And then came across this thread...

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057964126/1/#post109666377

Interestingly it sounds like she details that her extreme concentration on this one issue is linked to her aspergers diagnosis. I dont doubt she is sincere in her beliefs - it's the other couple of million kids seizing this as a handy chance to bunk off school whilst doing a bit of virtue signaling on social media that I've trouble with tbh.

Can we just call her Pippy long stockings instead instead of Gunter or whatever her name is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Do you honestly think that if coastal cities will be underwater that the banks would be giving 30-40 year mortgages for developments in the same cities?
    you do not understand banksters and their individual greed and selfishness

A banker would have got his bonus and pension long before 30-40 years is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Yes most definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

I was in secondary school when the teachers went on a fairly serious prolonged strike (2001 maybe?) Anyway, we had a 'student strike', allegedly to protest against the time in school we were missing. In reality we went down town and hung around chatting to girls from the other schools.

I can confirm that it was purely for the doss. Good craic though so hard to blame these teenagers for taking the opportunity!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

My former secondary school recently made a commitment to go 100% free of single use plastics. I won't name them here but they are the 1st school in Ireland to make this commitment out in public. Their campaign began by eliminating plastic cups & bottles from their canteen & replace it with drinking glasses and re-usable flasks/bottles. The people who organize this pledge make of the students & staff adhere to a pledge that bans bringing plastic cups & bottles onto the campus every day. They are also to reduce usage of single use plastic outside of school. This measure is also applied as a moral code to students when they leave school to go to work/college after doing their leaving cert.

It sounds like a very encouraging pledge for the staff & students while helping to reduce their impact on their environment.

But it sounds like a very small contribution when compared to the challenges out in the real world. If people, like those in school right now, become more influenced to begin other ways to help their environment. Other schools around the country are doing this pledge as well to reduce their need of plastic in the environment. But does it appear that reducing purchases of plastic becomes more impossible to manage in their personal lives especially if people are living in a poorer financial background?

When we talk about buying food & drink in supermarkets; you are faced with having to deal with buying some foods surrounded in plastics like dairy products, fruit & vegetables, meat & fish every time that you do your grocery shopping. For fruit & veg; you could easily say that you can pack loose variations of fruit & veg to put into supermarket trolley using other materials. But when faced bringing them to the till; is it easy for people to not pack their food in other materials other than using plastic. The supermarkets here are notorious for not offering alternative packaging options to customers who want to pick up fruit & veg from the supermarket shelves using other materials. The only bags on offer for customers to use to bring home fruit & veg for their supermarket shopping is plastic. No other options like paper bags are offered instead to reduce your usage of plastic.

If you try to use other options for buying your groceries through home delivery; does going onto a niche grocery purchase website not become an expensive option for people to do as a main part of their lifestyle. We have lots of people in this country who are low income groups who are entirely dependent on welfare who probably cannot afford this type of option in the long term as it does become quite expensive. Buying food & drink from a supermarket does sound like the only do-able & cheaper solution for them to not allow them starve in the long term.

There are other ways in how people in this country can try to address way in helping their environment. But these are things that we use for granted on a regular basis that does have some consequences that will us caught off guard. They are some good things to highlight too when using them. But I will write up this stuff for another time because there is a lot of information to get covered beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,945 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

20Cent wrote: »
    Younger people are far more ware of the environment in my experience. They are doing stuff like that. But substantial work has to be done at national levels and cooperation between countries.

Google image " rubbish left behind at climate change protests" for depressing viewing.

And this in our own country; our future is in safe hands... :/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/electric-picnic-ten-kilos-of-rubbish-per-person-left-at-site-1.3616963%3fmode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Google image " rubbish left behind at climate change protests" for depressing viewing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/electric-picnic-ten-kilos-of-rubbish-per-person-left-at-site-1.3616963%3fmode=amp
    what makes it even more depressing , is when you read the article '' friends of the earth '' are making excuses for it .
    ''they thought they were leaving the stuff to be given to charity''
    ya right , i'd say that's what was on their minds all right

They are trying to say no rubbish left behind in Ireland unlike other countries that left the streets littered. I was outside a secondary school last week while they were on their lunch break, they all went down to the local shop that has everything ready for them and when they finished eating outside the school gate they dropped their rubbish on the ground. I find it very hard to believe that they all disposed of their rubbish properly after the protest here.

20Cent wrote: »
    Younger people are far more ware of the environment in my experience. They are doing stuff like that. But substantial work has to be done at national levels and cooperation between countries.

Yeah right, they’ll be all back living like we did in the 70’s when they leave school.

Looks like our little climate angel isn’t all she’s cracked up to be.

https://www.thegwpf.com/greta-thunberg-pr-puppet-or-climate-figurehead/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Will they be another brief flash in the pan like the abandoned Occupy Movement or the start of something more serious?

Will politicians take any notice? I doubt it.

I hope for two things:
    1) They don`t get diverted or corrupted by other agendas.
    2) They stay the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Teachers telling us all how to live as usual.

Look at the gubernment mainly ex teachers and they're telling us what to do.

Quite right. And look at the state of our highly indebted country. We have the wrong teachers in Ireland. We need teachers from countries where wisdon is cherished above all else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

They are trying to say no rubbish left behind in Ireland unlike other countries that left the streets littered. I was outside a secondary school last week while they were on their lunch break, they all went down to the local shop that has everything ready for them and when they finished eating outside the school gate they dropped their rubbish on the ground. I find it very hard to believe that they all disposed of their rubbish properly after the protest here.
    you recognised the same people at the protests, yes?
    or are you trying to tar all students with the brush you found at the occasion you mention above?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

banks never make mistakes about the future values of properties, we all know that.

Yeah, everybody should just shút the fúck up and who cares if we're destroying the environment as long as we're keeping the god of consumerism happy.

From this week's news alone:

Dead whale had 40kg of plastic is his stomach

Coca Cola reveals it used 3 million tons of plastic in 2017

• Advertisement

Yeah there is a lot to be done here and elsewhere, no one claims that it is a small task. Would you now say we should tackle the issues listed above or just give up and live our life happily after?

The public hand will pay for the flood protection, so your tax money. As usual profits are privatized, loses are handed over to the public. Don't worry you and me will pay our fair share so that the 30-40 year mortgages will be profitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Benny Biscotti

It's not that politicians aren't doing enough. They don't care whatsoever. They use it when suits if it's in the fashion, and only use it to get more revenue via carbon tax.

And on the other hand they go off to a celebration and pour green dye into a river ecosystem and nothing is said! How many plastic burst balloons are littering around now.

They'll make a thousand plastic ties to tie up a poster of how they are environmentaly friendly.

banks never make mistakes about the future values of properties, we all know that.

Did you ever see the aftermath of electric picnic? Every countries protest left rubbish behind except Ireland kept it hushed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Yeah, everybody should just shút the fúck up and who cares if we're destroying the environment as long as we're keeping the god of consumerism happy.

From this week's news alone:

Dead whale had 40kg of plastic is his stomach

Coca Cola reveals it used 3 million tons of plastic in 2017

These same ****s protesting we're probably driven there in private automobiles as they are to school every day choking up roads where they live. The same little fcukers are on electronic devices day and night. They demand the latest devices just to stay trendy while abandoning perfectly good phones, tablets etc. They won't walk or cycle anywhere. Electric scooters are the latest fad. Loads of obese little twats too. The amount noxious gas spewed out of theirs arses has probably put a hole in the ozone already. Self entitled little ****s who will be the worst generation in terms of waste and over use.

These same ****s protesting we're probably driven there in private automobiles as they are to school every day choking up roads where they live. The same little fcukers are on electronic devices day and night. They demand the latest devices just to stay trendy while abandoning perfectly good phones, tablets etc. They won't walk or cycle anywhere. Electric scooters are the latest fad. Loads of obese little twats too. The amount noxious gas spewed out of theirs arses has probably put a hole in the ozone already. Self entitled little ****s who will be the worst generation in terms of waste and over use.

Do you think all of those are the same? In reality there are little f*cks like you describe above, but there are also little f+cks who are very conscious about their devices and garbage and are actively working to improve with others not giving a f*ck.

These same ****s protesting we're probably driven there in private automobiles as they are to school every day choking up roads where they live.
    note the use of *were driven* instead of *drove*.
    again, blame the children for the choices of their parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

so has climate change been solved after these protests?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Did you ever see the aftermath of electric picnic?

And these in the main are the 'young' people of Ireland...

The excuses why so much rubbish / good tents / sleeping bags / Wellingtons were thrown away beggrered belief

I attended concerts and festivals over many years and still have the (crap) tent from the very first festival I went to many decades ago. And our disposable generation are now screaming it's others fault?

"Young people of Ireland we love you"

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

you recognised the same people at the protests, yes?
    or are you trying to tar all students with the brush you found at the occasion you mention above?

The thought of Dakota Dan hanging around outside a school watching children for an extended period is somewhat sinister.

Advertisement