Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Yohnathan

Feel like this has been asked before, but how mad would it be to leave out all of Competition law? I'm really running out of time and I just can't get my head around any of EU :( struggling big time. I am planning on leaving out competition, mergers, state aids, private international law (whatever that even is).

I've also seen people refer to 'legislative procedures' - my manual doesn't have a chapter on that but what else would it include other than OLP and SLP?

I completely left Conpetition Law out during my exam last sitting. The lecturer in the grind school I went to said that it is too much and only likely to come up once or maybe not even come up. She highly recommended leaving it out and focusing on everything else.
    In saying that, you have to cover everything else. People went crazy after the last sitting as the predicted topics didn't come up. I for once, had solid backup questions prepared and scrapped a 51! So my advice is to leave it out but do everything else with the exception of the case note!

Constitutional: what did people think came up? Thoughts on the paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Charles OCK

Resulting trusts
    Estoppel
    Rectification
    Three certainties
    Doc of satisfaction
    Trustees Duties
    Mand/Interloc/QT/APO Injunctions
    Specific Performance
    Tracing
    DMC
    Strong v Bird
    Quistclose Trusts
    Advancement
    Recission/UI
    Election
    Cy-Pres

Do you reckon that is enough to cover? I've been selective in my learning of some chapters. Leaving out Secret Trusts, the bulk of charitable trusts, Contructive Trusts.

Any advice/insight appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Fe1hayes

CASSIS DI DIJON

Can anyone tell me the relevance? I have a big mindmap done up and can't figure out which art to put it under!

If anyone needs stuff for equity let me know!

It's selling characteristics under art 34 indistinctly applicable rules where they could try defend it under mandatory requirements of general principles alcohol content 25% or below could not be advertised tried to say drinking culture lower alcoholic drinks more people will drink. Think it Germany was held to be a an infringement not sure though. Only doing contract until Thursday.

Is it enough to do Institutions, Sol,Gen Principles,DE msl,Infringements and Prelim ref,FMG,FMW,JR,Comp law,Equality and citizenship. Also I am planning not looking at this until Thursday after contract so if anyone thinks I could cut something out or missing something please let me know.
    In the city college recommended predictions they say not to bother with Infringements or prelim ref but cover all comp law with SA and mergers which is a trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

Would it be ok to leave out freedom movement of goods? covering a good few topics including comp law.

Also did comp law fmg come up in the last sitting ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

Would it be ok to leave out freedom movement of goods? covering a good few topics including comp law.

Also did comp law fmg come up in the last sitting ???

If you're covering competition and all of the other regulars, I'd say you should be fine. It will almost definitely come up as a Q but then again so will competition and I'm leaving it out :pac: the course to too big - can't possibly cover it all!

FMG came up as an essay in the context of an essay on Art 34+36 proportionality and protection of human health.

Competition came up in a problem in context of State Aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lisac223

Looks good but maybe just know a few short topics like Strong v Bird, Advancement, Maxims in case there's one of those 3 part questions.

You can learn those really quickly.

Oh yeah I actually have a short note on Strong v Bird and DMC so might add them in thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

Can anybody explain how the Denkavit case comes into an analysis of Article 110 please?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭scooby321

Equity

Has mandatory Perpetual injunctions ever come up? I'm assuming mandatory interlocutory has.

Also, aiming to cover:

1. Injunctions: QT & Interlocutory
    2. SP & Rectification
    3. Express: 3 Certainties & DMC
    4. Purpose: Charitable, Cy Pres & Non-Charitable
    5. Resulting: Re Osaba/ Suplus & Advancement
    6. Constructive
    7. Trusteeship
    8. Satisfaction

This is my 3rd time sitting equity so any thoughts on the above would be much appreciated. Do not want to face it again in October :(

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sbbyrne

scooby321 wrote: »
    Equity

Has mandatory Perpetual injunctions ever come up? I'm assuming mandatory interlocutory has.

Also, aiming to cover:

1. Injunctions: QT & Interlocutory
    2. SP & Rectification
    3. Express: 3 Certainties & DMC
    4. Purpose: Charitable, Cy Pres & Non-Charitable
    5. Resulting: Re Osaba/ Suplus & Advancement
    6. Constructive
    7. Trusteeship
    8. Satisfaction

This is my 3rd time sitting equity so any thoughts on the above would be much appreciated. Do not want to face it again in October :(

Hey!
    I'm leaving out Injunctions, bar QT and Anton Pillar so can't help you with regards to them (I hate them so much). I'm also repeating it so i feel your pain :(
    I'm covering

1. Purpose: Charitable, Cy Pres
    2. SP & Rectification
    3. Express: 3 Certainties & DMC and S v B also
    4. Tracing
    5. Resulting: Re Osaba/ Suplus & Advancement & Quistclose
    6. Constructive
    7. Trusteeship
    8. Satisfaction
    9. QT and AP
    Also going to look over Estoppel just in case. Its similar to yours i just have a few extra because of my lack of injunctions. Hopefully we'll be ok with all that. Its so heavy. SOS
    (ALSO, Am i crazy leaving out non-charitable?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭IsaacWunder

Do FE1s expire? Once you have all eight how long have you to get a training contract?

sbbyrne wrote: »
    Hey!
    I'm leaving out Injunctions, bar QT and Anton Pillar so can't help you with regards to them (I hate them so much). I'm also repeating it so i feel your pain :(
    I'm covering

1. Purpose: Charitable, Cy Pres
    2. SP & Rectification
    3. Express: 3 Certainties & DMC and S v B also
    4. Tracing
    5. Resulting: Re Osaba/ Suplus & Advancement & Quistclose
    6. Constructive
    7. Trusteeship
    8. Satisfaction
    9. QT and AP
    Also going to look over Estoppel just in case. Its similar to yours i just have a few extra because of my lack of injunctions. Hopefully we'll be ok with all that. Its so heavy. SOS
    (ALSO, Am i crazy leaving out non-charitable?)

That is very similar, hopefully we will be covered this time! Someone posted the FE-1 pass rate and I saw it was 48% in October 2017 so it's freaked me out a bit :/ have EU to cover also so that will cut me for time. If you don't have another exam I think a one-page run through of non-charitable would be handy to have just incase as it hasn't come up in a while and is quite short

• Registered Users Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Do FE1s expire? Once you have all eight how long have you to get a training contract?

I believe the FE1's passed are wiped after a five year period.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

scooby321 wrote: »
    That is very similar, hopefully we will be covered this time! Someone posted the FE-1 pass rate and I saw it was 48% in October 2017 so it's freaked me out a bit :/ have EU to cover also so that will cut me for time. If you don't have another exam I think a one-page run through of non-charitable would be handy to have just incase as it hasn't come up in a while and is quite short

Its an awful subject, my most hated so far. I don't have another one this sitting, this is my last one so i will run through it, thanks for the heads up!

sbbyrne wrote: »
    Its an awful subject, my most hated so far. I don't have another one this sitting, this is my last one so i will run through it, thanks for the heads up!

Agreed! well hopefully it will be our last time sitting it!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Pyggg

Anyone else have 3 in a row next week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Just curious what people identified in the succession problem question in property last week?

Also, what is generally asked for remedies?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 marc24

Pyggg wrote: »
    Anyone else have 3 in a row next week ?

Me:( Equity, contract and EU. Going to be a sleep deprived haze. Although I did three in a row in Oct too and somehow managed to pass. Berocca and Coffee are my only tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

Contract people - for consumer protection legislation I have:

SOG 1893 & SOGSA 1980
    Unfair Contract Terms 1995
    Away from Business Premises 1989
    Direct Selling 2001
    Consumer Information, Cancellation and Other Rights Regulations 2013

Am I missing anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Insta92

Stressed out about EU law. Plan on having the following covered:

Institutions
    Sources of EU Law
    Application of EU Law (Supremacy, direct effect, principal of effectiveness and efficiency)
    Preliminary Reference Procedure
    Annulment Action
    FMOG
    FTPS
    Citizenship
    Equality

I am really hoping to cover Competition law but don’t think I will have the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

I think you have it all covered, only other ones I can think of are Consumer Rights Directive 2011 and Consumer Sales Directive 1999. The Sales Directive was transposed via European Communities Directive 2003. This question came up for me last year had a lot prepped on it. I didn't go into any case law as the question never asked for it and examiner commented that I should have so be sure and throw in a few cases to make sure your well covered. Last year it was essay and then you could have applied Unfair Ct terms to another problem question so consumer law def worth doing, she definitely really likes consumer law qs

SOG 1893 & SOGSA 1980
    Direct Selling 2001

Am I missing anything?

MS liability I think is fairly short prob not whole question but could come up and kinda links in to others like direct effect....I think!

General principles is a good one too, I'm actually leaving out competition as well like its only ever 1 q and its so broad with mergers and state aid. I think state aid up last year so if your caught for time maybe just focus on mergers and compet? Not sure though cause I have not looked at all at competition covering all others than that. I wish he done away with the case note and just had an actual other topic you could answer
    Insta92 wrote: »
    Stressed out about EU law. Plan on having the following covered:

Institutions
    Sources of EU Law
    Application of EU Law (Supremacy, direct effect, principal of effectiveness and efficiency)
    Preliminary Reference Procedure
    Annulment Action
    FMOG
    FTPS
    Citizenship
    Equality

I am really hoping to cover Competition law but don’t think I will have the time.

Anyone who did city colleges course what tips did they give for EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gfettig

do we all agree that the older mareva 'how have courts endeavoured to balance rights' has now morphed into the more common 'less restrictive approach' style essay question, or does it seem that they are separate inquiries?

SOG 1893 & SOGSA 1980
    Direct Selling 2001

Am I missing anything?

Can I ask Is the away from business premises (distance selling act) not repealed by 2013 act which cumulatived them altogether or is that another act ?

Fe1hayes wrote: »
    Can I ask Is the away from business premises (distance selling act) not repealed by 2013 act which cumulatived them altogether or is that another act ?

I was hoping this! Two different things in two different manuals but yes I think so

I was hoping this! Two different things in two different manuals but yes I think so

I just looked at the report from 2017 Autumn qu 6 it has been repealed(she was saying people were unaware).

Can someone explain Initial/Subsequent failure with regards to Cy-Pres doctrine please? I keep getting the two confused, even though i dont think its that complicated! :)

Thanks!

(I know there was a post a few pages back but i can't seem to find it again!)

Fe1hayes wrote: »
    I just looked at the report from 2017 Autumn qu 6 it has been repealed(she was saying people were unaware).

Perfect thank you - so am I right in thinking under the 2013 act now you have 14 days not 7 as per 1989?

• Advertisement

Contract - can anyone confirm/ correct this? So confused

Undue Influence:

Class 1 - actual - need to show relationship of trust and transaction of no personal benefit/ manifest disadvantage
    Class 2A - presumed - e.g. doctor/ patient - just need to show relationship then evidential burden shifts and don't need to prove unfairness of the bargain
    Class 2B - de facto - need to show relationship of trust/ confidence but once you do evidential burden shifts and you do need to prove unfairness of the bargain

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement