Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate change protests

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Is people losing their jobs a problem? Hard to know really. Like the recession was great craic wasn't it? What do you think

Why would tackling climate change result in job losses? Surely alternative sources will employ people as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Giveaway wrote: »
    Listened to some of the kids on rte news. Yes there opinions were a s vacuous and uninformed as one would expect from a bunch of clowns who came up with a new excuse for going mitching in dublin

Lotts grumpy oldsters said the same thing about kids who marched against Nam, the kids can be right on the issue even if some of them just want to mitch

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Is people losing their jobs a problem? Hard to know really. Like the recession was great craic wasn't it? What do you think

Most consumer items, gadgets, electronics, plastic ****e from Wish that people buy aren't even made here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The recession didn't have us worrying that o'connell street could be underwater.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

The recession didn't have us worrying that o'connell street could be underwater.

I'm not worried.

• Advertisement

Universal basic income and decent minimum wages plus lots of opportunities for part time employment. Ask yourself, why do both parents in a modern family have to work to provide what a single member of the family could provide a (couple of) generation ago.

With multiple attempts to eliminate humans from the workforce, what do you think our descendents will actually be doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Universal basic income and decent minimum wages plus lots of opportunities for part time employment. Ask yourself, why do both parents in a modern family have to work to provide what a single member of the family could provide a (couple of) generation ago.

With multiple attempts to eliminate humans from the workforce, what do you think our descendents will actually be doing?

You can thank the femenist movement for that one.

Who is going to pay for universal basic income and decent minimum wages?

Isn't universal basic income just another name for the dole? But more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I love seeing young people get out like this, so as I drove out of government buildings today I was gladdened to see kids get out and represent themselves and their passions, in this case climate change.

Then I got a few around the car I was driving flipping me the bird (giving me the middle finger) and thought to myself 'little shits'.

Got down to the corner of Merrion Sq and Clare St and another little shit with pink & green hair also gave me the finger, they could go and fvck themselves after that.
    Same little ***** will be getting into Mammies SUV later...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

screamer wrote: »
    Nuclear baby, as an island with no natural resources that we haven’t given away, ‘‘tis the only option to give us a viable alternative to fossils.
    Tax= freeze us to death to make us comply, that won’t work. We need a viable alternative

We already have a viable alternative- wind and solar. Wind is already producing up to 65% of the national grids needs. As it gets higher everyome benefits. Nuclear is not politically achievable in Ireland because Chernoybl/Three Mile/Fukishima. Nuclear will never happen here but wind already is proving itself as the viable alternative.
    I don't have one. All countries would have to be in agreement with a plan in place to create sufficient renewable energy to replace fossil fuels. There is no point in our government taxing the hell out of us while the next country continues to pollute.
    Big corporations and oil companies should have an environmental levy forced on them and that fund should be used globally to come up with solutions.

All countries bar the USA under Trump are in the Paris Agreement and do have a plan. Its just Ireland isn't sticking to it while lots of other countries are. The countries that don't stick to it pay fines, we 're going to be paying €600m a year soon for failing to meet the targets we signed up to. Germany, Norway et al won't be paying a penny in fines because they will meet their targets. China is now spending three times more on renewable energies that the USA are, all the while Trump extols the benefits of using "clean coal" :rolleyes:

So when you hear the words 'Carbon Tax' what it really represents is a tax on citizens to pay the fines levied upon their own governments for missing their commitments to reduce carbon emissions. Agree with you that there should be an enviromental levy on polluiting corporates, recent research said that less than 30 companies worldwide are causing more than 50% of global carbon emissions.

• Advertisement

Who is going to pay for universal basic income and decent minimum wages?

Isn't universal basic income just another name for the dole? But more
    As I said earlier, money is only a lubricant in the wheels of the (engine) economy, if all the jobs are given to robots or are bullshít jobs or abroad, that are the remainder of the population to do. Where do you need the lubricant in an engine to be, in the sump or in the top of the rocker cover?

UBI as already discussed to death in other threads, is an alternative that prevents poverty while allowing people to work without losing out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Same little ***** will be getting into Mammies SUV later...
    Good man. Blame the children for the choices of their parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

A better environment requires

1) more effort (such as growing own food, walking/cycling)

2) inconvenience (such as growing own food, walking/cycling)

3) disadvantage (needing to grow own food, needing to cycle, can't cover large distances)

Ask these children to give up their phones forever, private cars forever etc. See how quick they'll do it.

Ask adults the same. See how quick they'll do it.

Ask countries the same. See how quick they'll put themselves at disadvantage.

People are rarely proactive. Groups of people even less so.

This will all come down to reactive necessity in the end, right when we're in the thick of it. Awareness means nothing to most people, they'll put their placards down or fold their newspapers or close the laptop, fully informed, and go straight back to the most convenient, easy life they can manage NOW. Later is later, after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

To ram home my point, how many people think smoking is good for you, or has no effect?

How many people think drinking alcohol is beneficial?

How many believe no exercise is a good thing?

Fast food?

Yet how many indulge all these things? The problem isn't awareness, it's human nature itself. We think short term, and to hell with everything else.

As I said earlier, money is only a lubricant in the wheels of the (engine) economy, if all the jobs are given to robots or are bullshít jobs or abroad, that are the remainder of the population to do. Where do you need the lubricant in an engine to be, in the sump or in the top of the rocker cover?

UBI as already discussed to death in other threads, is an alternative that prevents poverty while allowing people to work without losing out.

Action against climate change needs to start straight away. Robots won't be taking over jobs on Monday morning.

Your timeline is way off

• Registered Users Posts: 81,501 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Some of these tools would want everyone driving a 1.4 litre petrol gas guzzler :rolleyes: to sell it and buy a brand new Nissan Leaf for €30k so they could save circa €14.99 in fuel costs. Depreciation on the Leaf would be zero as it lives up its own ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Read an account of this 'movement' here.

Who is she?
    Thunberg, who is rarely spotted without pigtailed hair, is a Stockholm native who lives at home with her mother, Malena Ernman, a famous opera singer in Sweden, her actor father, Svante Thunberg, and sister Beata. A self-described introvert, Thunberg was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome four years ago and also has selective mutism, a severe anxiety disorder in which a person is unable to speak in certain social situations. Thunberg has credited both conditions for her tenacity as an activist.

And then came across this thread...

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057964126/1/#post109666377

Interestingly it sounds like she details that her extreme concentration on this one issue is linked to her aspergers diagnosis. I dont doubt she is sincere in her beliefs - it's the other couple of million kids seizing this as a handy chance to bunk off school whilst doing a bit of virtue signaling on social media that I've trouble with tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Yeah but no because Chernobyl.

Anyway, no point in making any effort because China.
    If they build a nuclear reactor as close to London as possible, the British government will maintain it for free as the wind normally from west to east, they will sh*t in their trousers if they think anything is going wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

I sleep at night dreaming this beast will work

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Wind is already producing up to 65% of the national grids needs.

It's the "up to" that's the problem.

It's not much use to someone in a hospital if there was 100% wind energy being provided six hours ago and none now.

If you look at the http://smartgriddashboard.eirgrid.com/ you can look at the performance in 15 minute increments of Irish wind generation.

You can compare wind generation with demand and it often makes for pretty poor viewing, dropping to a fraction of peak output for days at a time.

Wind power gives the appearance of doing something but by itself, it's not going to solve the problem.

Whether we get our baseload from our own nuclear plants, or somebody elses, via interconnectors to Britain or France, that is the surest way for us to have low carbon power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Saw some of the young people getting interviewed yesterday, and to be honest none of them were able to give a proper answer when asked what exactly they wanted the government to do.

There was a lot of fuzzy answers like "listen to young people", or "more", but nothing concrete. Plus I feel a lot of them sounded as if they don't understand how countries and economies work, they have this great believe there is an endless supply of money and that we can have everything we want and no-one has to pay for it.

For many I'd say it was a day off school. Nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

NIMAN wrote: »
    Saw some of the young people getting interviewed yesterday, and to be honest none of them were able to give a proper answer when asked what exactly they wanted the government to do.

There was a lot of fuzzy answers like "listen to young people", or "more", but nothing concrete. Plus I feel a lot of them sounded as if they don't understand how countries and economies work, they have this great believe there is an endless supply of money and that we can have everything we want and no-one has to pay for it.

For many I'd say it was a day off school. Nothing else.

That's what I was thinking , nice free day off. It was like they were some sort of programmed robots who only knew what sound bites to say but nothing after that.

Big thing they don't understand is the change in quality of life if we are to follow through on what they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

So a load of kids that will never own a house protesting about something like climate change even though there's far bigger issues facing the younger generation than climate change such as mental health, over taxation, mass immigration, high rents and house prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Stephen15 wrote: »
    So a load of kids that will never own a house protesting about something like climate change even though there's far bigger issues facing the younger generation than climate change such as mental health, over taxation, mass immigration, high rents and house prices.

Tbf a nice house to live in is fcuk all use when it's underwater.

Tbf a nice house to live in is fcuk all use when it's underwater.

Climate change and it's effects are exaggerated. The climate has changed throughout history

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Fifty grades of shay.

Climate change and it's effects are exaggerated. The climate has changed throughout history

There goes your credibility.

Yes it has and will do so in the future, but this time around there is a huge process of terraforming going on planet wide.

It is the conversion of forest to field, field to concrete covered land. field to desert and numerous other changes to the local environments that are having huge affects to the local climate in these places.

Combining all these affects globally it is showing up in increased temperatures.

Yes it has and will do so in the future, but this time around there is a huge process of terraforming going on planet wide.

It is the conversion of forest to field, field to concrete covered land. field to desert and numerous other changes to the local environments that are having huge affects to the local climate in these places.

Combining all these affects globally it is showing up in increased temperatures.

Who's responsibility is that China and the third world countries. UN isn't interested in coming down on them and is instead blaming us for climate change as a ploy to get more tax out of you and me. I would much rather these ill informed school students took part in yellow vest protests which are actually achieving real change rather than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The kids should protest by taking extra science after school

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Protesting has turned into a vanity affair with people posting up videos on their Facebook and Instagram of them thinking they are great sticking it to the man, all for attention of course.

Protests everyday now about silly stuff,

You are missing the point here. What did you expect? That they would rock up with a 5 step plan which considers the economies desire for growth and ultimately allows this to happen while still cutting emissions.

The critical thing about the strike is that these students are correct, action needs to happen.
    Maybe the parents of these children will think about the message and consider their current behaviour.
    Many of them will be going in to college in the next couple of years, maybe having been involved in this, they will choose a career path to help make positive steps towards protecting the environment. Maybe having been involved in this they will look around at home and ask their parents what are they doing?
    Maybe, when they start to vote in a few short years, they will pay closer attention to what are currently vacuous promises by politicians to take positive steps.

The most accurate statement I heard yesterday was a student saying that they will be the last generation who can act before the damage becomes irreversible.

Think about that. If you have children/grandchildren, what do you hope for their future?

Advertisement