Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Motion to request Art. 50 extension passed by a majority of 210

Now the little matter of agreeing on what to request it for!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

tuxy wrote: »
    Inquitus wrote: »
    3rd WA Vote by Weds next week.

Nice, gives her time to get a 4th one in by the 27th with a very slight change to it after taking to the EU at the EU summit!
    Funny how a second referendum would be undemocratic but MPs can vote on the same thing multiple times.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

I propose an amendment to lock the doors of the hoc now,cut the power and phones lines and do not open the doors until march 29th.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Gintonious wrote: »
    I thought this was only a rumour? How does she expect this to ever pass if the EU have said (time and time again), that the deal won't change?

She said on the floor of the House that if it doesn't pass by the 20th, she'll have to seek a longer extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,912 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I thought this was only a rumour? How does she expect this to ever pass if the EU have said (time and time again), that the deal won't change?

It is not going to change. All in the HoC know that so the only options after these votes and last nights is either vote for it, or have a extension delaying Brexit for a long time or indeed never.

At least that is my reading off it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

franglan wrote: »
    When you really think about voting for the same thing for a third time while looking at the majorities of the past two votes - extraordinary times we live in.

Well hopefully we'll never again hear any Leavers use Ireland's second votes on the revised/clarified Lisbon & Nice treaties as examples of bullying - especially if their preferred MPs vote for Mays WA next week.

upupup wrote: »
    I propose an amendment to lock the doors of the hoc now,cut the power and phones lines and do not open the doors until march 29th.

No food or drink and it might even work.

Worked in a papal election once allegedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

charlie14 wrote: »
    It is not going to change. All in the HoC know that so the only options after these votes and last nights is either vote for it, or have a extension delaying Brexit for a long time or indeed never.

At least that is my reading off it

Despite them taking No Deal off the table though, thats not law though is it? Is it not just a vote for preference?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

upupup wrote: »
    I'm sure the Pope would loan them his special stove for the duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Despite them taking No Deal off the table though, thats not law though is it? Is it not just a vote for preference?

It's not off the table really, it's the default if there's no agreement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Inquitus wrote: »
    3rd WA Vote by Weds next week.

She is banking on the idea that the hardline brexiteers will help pass it eventually, if the alternative is long extension with the risk of Brexit slipping away on them.
    I'm not saying it is likely but not beyond the bounds of possibility

• Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

How can the DUP and ERG seriously consider voting for the WA at the third asking?

They ridiculed Ireland for having a re-vote on Lisbon - but at least it had a number of concessions - the WA has not been altered at all.

The MPs are just continually voting on the same deal time after time after time.

The possibility of EU introduced checks on border to protect their market must be putting the DUP vote base into a panic - no import tariffs, but export tariffs - will result in closure for many and job losses. Looks like TMs attempt at goading the EU to put up a hard border has the additional joyous side effect of putting the DUP right in the firing line with NI voters.

Peston seems to think the voting so far increases the chance of a no deal:

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1106254285925507073

Would that not suit the DUP and ERG instead of the WA?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I don't know if today's votes solved anything at all. If May's deal doesn't pass with the next vote then the EU will not grant an extension no matter what the HoC votes for. The UK will also leave the EU without a deal if there is no extension and they have not ratified the WA. So what the HoC votes for while not voting for a deal doesn't seem to mean much in the bigger scheme of things.

As for Labour, I fail to see how Corbyn will be able to lead if he cannot keep his MPs in line. If he has a small majority there will always be rebels that could scupper his plans. It is no wonder his followers are so big into recalls of MPs as they know they will need blind faith in Corbyn or it will unravel quickly. He as given his token backing to a second vote again but the fact that time is running out and he told his MPs to abstain, I believe, against a second vote probably means he will be happy for Brexit to happen and his support for a second referendum to only be a token gesture.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Hurrache wrote: »

It's not off the table really, it's the default if there's no agreement.

Wl, yes and no.

The house has expressed its will, and the Gov are obliged to respct it. They did not do it recenty and were held in contempt of Parlament.

They do not want a repeat of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Also on Sky presenter reads out tweet along the lines of why Brexit countdown is still showing 15 days to Brexit when the HoC had voted to extend it to June.

On a very fundamental level they just don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If they extend, can they still revoke after the 29th?

They could still stumble out with no deal, but with a long extension possibility of there being a long delay or no Brexit at all, she is putting pressure on both the DUP and the ERG to now support her deal.

dresden8 wrote: »
    Also on Sky presenter reads out tweet along the lines of why Brexit countdown is still showing 15 days to Brexit when the HoC had voted to extend it to June.

On a very fundamental level they just don't get it.
    They have to ask for the extension, then the EU has to agree an extension, until the date remains the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

And then you see comments like this, not the UKs fault of course

Check out @EdConwaySky’;s Tweet: https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/1106264926446936064?s=09

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Is there any projections on what a 2 year delay could do to the UK economy? I would think businesses would continue to relocation over that period of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

jester77 wrote: »

Hopefully they can

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Wl, yes and no.

The house has expressed its will, and the Gov are obliged to respct it. They did not do it recenty and were held in contempt of Parlament.

They do not want a repeat of that.

I can't see that the contempt thing made the slightest difference. The problem with an unwritten Constitution of precedents and customs is that when May flagrantly ignores them, who is going to stop her?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

dresden8 wrote: »
    Adam Boulton apologises to SNP and Remoaners.

Can't see the Beeb doing that.

Never thought I'd say this but Sky FTW.

Why what did he say ?

They have to ask for the extension, then the EU has to agree an extension, until the date remains the same.

That's my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I think only the European Court of Justice could give 100% accurate answer to questions like that.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Why what did he say ?

He said most of the SNP abstained when they hadn't and inadvertently/jokingly used the word remoaners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

And then you see comments like this, not the UKs fault of course

Check out @EdConwaySky’;s Tweet: https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/1106264926446936064?s=09

Christ :(

The inability for a lot of the British people to analyse a situation from anywhere but their own point of view is scary.

Are most replies to that tweet bots, or do I need to re-evaluate my view of the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Yes, because they would remain EU members until the extension ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I'm still of the honest opinion that the only way to end this farce is for the EU to basically say unless your going to a 2nd referendum or an acceptance of the WA, the UK ceases to be an EU member as of March 29th and all sectors should assume a "Hard Brexit" is what will occur on this date.

The HoC and other's over there just don't get it: They dont have control anymore and they've only a single "OUT": Rescind A50. Either take the hit of Hard Brexit, accept the WA or Take the Political hit and end Brexit and get your house in order otherwise your being cut loose.

This charade has gone on long enough there needs to be an end to this once and for all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In terms of any extension, I can see the EU offering it to May 22nd. Any extension beyond that shoukd be based on progress made towards any solution.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement