Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

recyclebin wrote: »
    Should offer an extra point for pole position instead.

Terrible, terrible idea.

Don't you think there is already enough incentive to get pole, without the need an extra point? Everyone wants pole to give themselves the best chance.

You could have a championship decided on a Saturday which would be a disaster. If there is one dominant car/driver, they championship would be decided even earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Point for fastest lap at least has the potential to spice up races just a little. Point for pole will do nothing but widen the gap to the dominant driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,980 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Inviere wrote: »
    pjohnson wrote: »
    1pt for fastest lap confirmed.

So queue half the grid pitting on the penultimate lap for fresh tires in order to try get fastest lap at the very end. Stupid idea.
    Yeah I think anyone from position 11 down will likely pit. I do t have a huge problem with it but it might be stupid if the guy in last place gets a point. But if he sets the fastest lap he deserves his point. If nothing else it will likely add some excitement to the last few laps.

Edit I see the fastest lap point is OK n k y awarded if the driver finishes in the top 10. I'm fine with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Point for fastest lap at least has the potential to spice up races just a little. Point for pole will do nothing but widen the gap to the dominant driver.

Which happens to be Lewis Hamilton at the minute. He doesn't need any extra help to be dominate so let's not give him any.
    I believe the fastest lap bonus point only going to a driver in the top 10 is based on an incident from Formula E where at the last race the two championship leaders tied on points in the last race, took themselves out of the race and tried to get the bonus point while everyone else was running a race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

skipper_G wrote: »
    Are you seriously suggesting that reverse grids would be good or is it just hyperbole?
    flazio wrote: »
    But then, who would bother trying to be fastest in qualifying if the reward is to be sent to the back.

Right so, how about bonus points for drivers outside the top 3 teams of the previous year who score a pole position? It has happened before.

Didn't a system run whereby teams outside the top 3 or 4 could run an extra drivers on Friday's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Just finished ep2 of Drive to Survive. A must watch featuring Alonso and Sainz during the Baku and Spanish GPs.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,210 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Right
    Didn't a system run whereby teams outside the top 3 or 4 could run an extra drivers on Friday's?

That was from 02 - 05 I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

astrofluff wrote: »
    Just finished ep2 of Drive to Survive. A must watch featuring Alonso and Sainz during the Baku and Spanish GPs.

Yes, really enjoying this. I think it is the better for Mercedes and Ferrari not being involved, there was enough focus on them during the season and its good to hear the stories from the other teams. Guenther Steiner's phone call with Gene Haas after Melbourne and Christian Horner and Cyril Abiteboul fencing over Red Bull ditching the Renault engines and Daniel Ricciardo's move have been particular highlights so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Right so, how about bonus points for drivers outside the top 3 teams of the previous year who score a pole position? It has happened before.

I don't know, sounds even more gimmicky than a point for fastest lap to me. Whether it would have any impact at all is another thing, when was the last time a driver from outside the top 3 teams scored a pole, Massa in 2014?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Anjobe wrote: »
    Yes, really enjoying this. I think it is the better for Mercedes and Ferrari not being involved, there was enough focus on them during the season and its good to hear the stories from the other teams. Guenther Steiner's phone call with Gene Haas after Melbourne and Christian Horner and Cyril Abiteboul fencing over Red Bull ditching the Renault engines and Daniel Ricciardo's move have been particular highlights so far.

I'm really enjoying it, excellent way to get ready for next week. Horner comes across as a complete knob, Steiner is hilarious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

If you are going to watch Melbourne I highly suggest you try and watch / record the v8 supercars race as well if you can. It's top notch racing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

The Netflix doc could really do without the talking head journalists and overdubbed commentary. They had enough good and compelling viewing as it is. Gunther Steiner is such a hero in it haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

The extra point for the fastest lap can ruin a championship; In a series where tire condition is worth seconds per lap, pitstops only cause a driver to lose 20-30 seconds in total and teams have "sacrifical lamb" drivers, well, it can and WILL be abused.

Example - let's say there IS 1 point for the FL, it's the final race of the season and we have this scoreboard:

Lewis Hamilton - 330pts, 9 race wins;
    Sebastian Vettel - 323pts, 7 race wins;

Vettel is leading the race by 15 seconds with 3 laps to go, Hamilton is 2nd; Seb has been in a class of his own the whole week end - claimed pole, led every lap and Lewis simply has no answer for the pace; Vettel also currently holds the fastest lap. Should the race finish like this, we'd have:

Sebastian Vettel - 349pts (323+25+1), 8 race wins;
    Lewis Hamilton - 348pts (330+18), 9 race wins;

Vettel is WDC; But....say, two laps from the finish Mercedes pit Bottas for fresh supersoft tires; He loses 3rd place to Leclerc, but marks the fastest lap of the race on the final lap. The championship ends like this:

Lewis Hamilton - 348pts (330+18), 9 race wins;
    Sebastian Vettel - 348pts (323+25), 8 race wins;

Team games are already infuriating enough when they involve positions, I'm fairly sure we don't need this additional scenario...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

H3llR4iser wrote: »

Sure Ferrari could do the same the race before and take the fastest lap away from Hamilton with Leclerc.

I don't like the idea myself with an extra point but if it's in then all teams will try take advantage of it whatever way they can. It won't be any more valuable to Mercedes than it will be to Ferrari. Both will do all they can to gain advantage.

I kind of like the team games this will cause, although I'm not in favour of the extra points.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    The extra point for the fastest lap can ruin a championship; In a series where tire condition is worth seconds per lap, pitstops only cause a driver to lose 20-30 seconds in total and teams have "sacrifical lamb" drivers, well, it can and WILL be abused.

Example - let's say there IS 1 point for the FL, it's the final race of the season and we have this scoreboard:

[snip]

I don't know, it sounds like a good strategic move to me! If they knew that Vettel had a one point margin. And if Bottas was willing to dump his own result just to get a fastest lap.

Also need to consider if Red Bull/Renault are tight in constructors or even Haas/Alfa Romeo/Racing Point. They could call in their drivers aswell to chase the fastest lap point. Its not exclusive to Ferrari/Mercedes. And if Ferrari/Merc are pulling in Leclerc/Bottas solely to chase fastest lap that will then only elevate the track position and point haul of Ricciardo/Verstappen.

Will teams throw away a 4th place finish (12pts) to take say 6th + fastest lap (9 pts).

Hell that scenario of Vettel/Hamilton could be poised to play out and both Leclerc and Bottas get called in only for Verstappen to suddenly set the fastest lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They need to make this available to everyone right down the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

mickdw wrote: »

And only make it available to cars that finish the race within a certain number of laps to the leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    mickdw wrote: »

And only make it available to cars that finish the race within a certain number of laps to the leader.
    Good point as it certainly should restrict anything that might be done to produce a car that would just target the fastest lap as opposed to the full race.
    As proposed, with only top 10 benefiting, how silly will it look if someone in 15th gets fastest lap.

Rossi IRL wrote: »

You only get classified if you complete 90% of the race distance.

I only remember a car finishing unclassified once in recent times and think it was a Marussia/Caterham was lapped 8 or 9 times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I don't know, it sounds like a good strategic move to me! If they knew that Vettel had a one point margin. And if Bottas was willing to dump his own result just to get a fastest lap.

Well, it's back to the days when a driver was ordered to retire to give his car to a more famous / higher paid team mate. Oh and as for Bottas being "willing", it's going to be "do the wingman thing or you're a pedestrian"...
    Hell that scenario of Vettel/Hamilton could be poised to play out and both Leclerc and Bottas get called in only for Verstappen to suddenly set the fastest lap.

Not going to happen - if in my scenario above Ferrari called Leclerc in to chase the fastest lap, they'd be scoring an own goal; We're talking about WDC here and if Leclerc got the fastest lap, it'd be the exact same as if Bottas did, Vettel would lose the title. It would literally create a situation where, with minimum effort, anybody on track could change the fate of the championship, regardless of position or situation.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'd prefer I'd they made fastest lap point to anyone outside the 10 top. Basically, sorry you're not good enough for top 10, but if you have a cracking lap we'll give you a point. It could make for interesting final laps as backmarkers all of sudden are unlapping themselves for fastest lap. I know it's not the spirit of racing, but I think that spirit left quite a while ago ..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Hopefully we see 19 more of these....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,611 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Also need to consider if Red Bull/Renault are tight in constructors or even Haas/Alfa Romeo/Racing Point. They could call in their drivers aswell to chase the fastest lap point. Its not exclusive to Ferrari/Mercedes. And if Ferrari/Merc are pulling in Leclerc/Bottas solely to chase fastest lap that will then only elevate the track position and point haul of Ricciardo/Verstappen.

Will teams throw away a 4th place finish (12pts) to take say 6th + fastest lap (9 pts).

Why would a team do that it would not make sense? So instead of getting 12 points they would just get 9 and that only if they got that positioning after pitting and getting back out on the track without any problems or mistakes which might cost even more. For instance if something goes wrong with the pitstop they could end up with maybe only 1 or even zero points.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

It's race week!!!!

That is all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

AMKC wrote: »

Why would a team do that it would not make sense? So instead of getting 12 points they would just get 9 and that only if they got that positioning after pitting and getting back out on the track without any problems or mistakes which might cost even more. For instance if something goes wrong with the pitstop they could end up with maybe only 1 or even zero points.

We will see some people who have a free pitstop at the end, and are in the points to try this tactic, could lead to interesting finishes with surprise safety car.

AMKC wrote: »

Exactly so the idea of teams calling in the second driver to solely chase the fastest lap is extremely unlikely if not impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,611 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Harika wrote: »
    We will see some people who have a free pitstop at the end, and are in the points to try this tactic, could lead to interesting finishes with surprise safety car.

Ye maybe. They will have to be in the top 10 do. I agree that this extra point should have been available to all 20 drivers.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

D1eJRqBWsAApL8G.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement