Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

B4 was just the worst. From the stupid name to totally forgetting about Lore to diminishing any of the impact Data's death should have had to that stupid glimmer of "hope" when he whistles that tune at the end.

Awful.

I hope by the time of the Picard show that Data just exists out there somewhere in the galaxy and we're left to work out the hows and whys on our own (or based on the Countdown novels at least) and B4 is never mentioned again.

And honestly, I love Data, but the characters arc is pretty spent at this stage – not to mention Brent Spiner is too old, and he knows it. If the character appears at all, have it be a brief video communication or audio message. Having any sort of long-term plot that involves Data would just stink of unnecessary fan-service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Inviere

Goodshape wrote: »
    And honestly, I love Data, but the characters arc is pretty spent at this stage – not to mention Brent Spiner is too old, and he knows it. If the character appears at all, have it be a brief video communication or audio message. Having any sort of long-term plot that involves Data would just stink of unnecessary fan-service.

Part of the brilliance of TNG was the exploration of humanity by Data, often aided by Picard. I don't know if I'd call his arc spent or not, I'd imagine there's room for more especially given we only seen him with emotions in the few films, which weren't centered on Data really. As for fan service, hmm, not sure, it'd depend on how a Data storyline ties into Picards. I wouldn't instantly be opposed to the idea.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

In a sci-fi series anything can happen and be explained away on screen in a matter of seconds. They could easily explain spiners aging by saying after data was destroyed his memories etc was download into B4. Once the crew discovered this Then Geordi worked to create a new body for him based on soongs work , but using new tech acquired from the borg it gives the body the ability to appear to age, allowing data to explore another one of humanity’s experiences. Growing old.

Anything can be explained.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The 'positronic brain' part does definitely imply something related to androids being key to the story; maybe they'll finally embrace the possibility of other Androids beyond Data. Seems reasonable to speculate that eventually someone else would have devised a way to replicate Dr. Soong's work...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,258 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

pixelburp wrote: »
    The 'positronic brain' part does definitely imply something related to androids being key to the story; maybe they'll finally embrace the possibility of other Androids beyond Data. Seems reasonable to speculate that eventually someone else would have devised a way to replicate Dr. Soong's work...

Or human hybrids

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

why not just go with the line he took.. that he choose to look different

Inviere wrote: »
    Part of the brilliance of TNG was the exploration of humanity by Data, often aided by Picard. I don't know if I'd call his arc spent or not, I'd imagine there's room for more especially given we only seen him with emotions in the few films, which weren't centered on Data really. As for fan service, hmm, not sure, it'd depend on how a Data storyline ties into Picards. I wouldn't instantly be opposed to the idea.

Don't get me wrong – I love Data and his character arc in TNG was one of my favourite parts of the show, but now that he has emotions I'm just not sure where else there is to go with the character. He's achieved his goal.

And as someone said about Picard maybe not being the Picard we know and love without his ship and crew, is Data really Data now that he has emotions? It changes the character entirely. Actually I think I recall an interview with Brent Spiner where he said something similar. That the emotion chip might have been a cool plot device for a movie, but ultimately not a good move for the character. Hence he gained the convenient ability to switch it off by movie #2.

So I wouldn't be too keen to see some big Data-centric story arc in a new series. But if he just shows up in some capacity as an admiral (or professor!), I'd have no objections.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Ah yes, Data's emotions. Lets see:

Generations: gets unremovable emotion chip that he can't turn off
    First Contact: can now now turn unremovable emotion chip on or off at will
    Insurrection: took his unremovable emotion chip out before the movie started, leaves it behind and never mentions it again
    Nemesis: emotion chip? what emotion chip?

Insurrection: took his unremovable emotion chip out before the movie started, leaves it behind and never mentions it again

Huh. Honestly that never even occurred to me. Probably my least watched of the Star Trek movies though, with Nemesis being a solid contender for my least favourite too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Ah yes, Data's emotions. Lets see:

Generations: gets unremovable emotion chip that he can't turn off
    First Contact: can now now turn unremovable emotion chip on or off at will

Yeah, i choose to ignore glaring plot holes. :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Evade

Or human hybrids
    They did that in DS9 with Vedek Bareil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

Data must be the best remembered character from TNG apart from Picard, right? That would be a strong motivation to include him somehow, even though the character is dead. Even if he wasn't, the whole actor aging thing presents a bit of a problem to using him again.

So they, (a) rebuild Data but with an entirely new body played by a different actor, which isn't really having Data back at all; (b) rebuild Data in an age-appropriate body, played by Spiner, which would be difficult to explain; (c) digitally de-age Spiner, which might look a bit rubbish; (d) just use Spiner's voice, with Data having a new body actor, a CGI body, or no body (e.g. his brain is loaded into the ship's computer).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They could put Data’s mind into a mobile hologram emitter that allows him to appear as an older human.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If the writers simply must bring back Data - though I suspect they're just going to run with Dr. Soong's work being replicated - and Brent Spiner isn't on the table, then makes sense to recast, then throw together an explanation that Data's trying a new body for size.

The inner troll in me though? It'd delight if Data decided to try a female body, and watching certain corners of the internet explode in impotent rage :D

If the writers simply must bring back Data - though I suspect they're just going to run with Dr. Soong's work being replicated - and Brent Spiner isn't on the table, then makes sense to recast, then throw together an explanation that Data's trying a new body for size.

The inner troll in me though? It'd delight if Data decided to try a female body, and watching certain corners of the internet explode in impotent rage :D

that would be insanely funny

• Registered Users Posts: 28,432 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

As long as the actress doesn't have a thick, say Yorkshire accent...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

"I don't care about a thing but I like to ridicule those that do" is such a weird attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I agree that would be brilliant.

So what actress would be perfect for it? Maybe a young up and coming actress.

Need someone like your one in ''Dark Matter'' that does the android in that. I thought she was quite good.

Evade wrote: »
    "I don't care about a thing but I like to ridicule those that do" is such a weird attitude.

If you put in such general terms, then yes it is a weird attitude: however, when it comes to the depressingly loud tangent of folks who go positively apoplectic if a woman becomes the focus - or worse, there's a gender flip - in a geek-culture property? There's 'caring', and then there's a misplaced sense of entitlement, anger and arguable 'isms that I have no problem calling bull*hit on ;)

Anyway, that's getting deep into a total hypothetical; though as I think on it, recasting Data as some new exploration of humanity or sapience would be an interesting angle.

AMKC wrote: »
    I agree that would be brilliant.

So what actress would be perfect for it? Maybe a young up and coming actress.

Need someone like your one in ''Dark Matter'' that does the android in that. I thought she was quite good.

Good call on Dark Matter: that was ... *googles* ... Zoie Palmer who played the Android & she was definitely channeling a lot of Data in her performances.

Like playing Vulcans, actors playing Androids need that delicate balance between emotionless and obvious emotions - or maybe charisma is a stronger word - forming somewhere under the surface.

• Advertisement

If you put in such general terms, then yes it is a weird attitude: however, when it comes to the depressingly loud tangent of folks who go positively apoplectic if a woman becomes the focus - or worse, there's a gender flip - in a geek-culture property? There's 'caring', and then there's a misplaced sense of entitlement, anger and arguable 'isms that I have no problem calling bull*hit on ;)

Anyway, that's getting deep into a total hypothetical; though as I think on it, recasting Data as some new exploration of humanity or sapience would be an interesting angle.
    I see a lot of entitlement going the other direction too like "it's time x was a y instead of the z they've always been" and there's more than a few -isms attached to those people too.

Evade wrote: »
    I see a lot of entitlement going the other direction too like "it's time x was a y instead of the z they've always been" and there's more than a few -isms attached to those people too.

Meh, maybe, but I'd take well intended & naive attempts at inclusion, over screaming rage-fits any day.

Having watched corners of the internet have absolute, raging meltdowns because of black Stormtroopers in Star Wars, Ghostbusters or Dr. Who changing gender (and I was initially against Who changing, albeit not for the 'no wimmin' bollix), IMO there's no equivalence to be drawn in terms of the reaction vs. the decision made.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So there has been some more casting for the series

https://deadline.com/2019/03/santiago-cabrera-michelle-hurdcast-star-trek-jean-luc-picard-series-cbs-all-access-1202569185/

Santiago Cabrera & Michelle Hurd To Co-Star In ‘Star Trek’ Jean-Luc Picard Series On CBS All Access

Anyone any idea what these have been in and what is your thoughts on them?

Saw Cabrera in the BBC's adaptation of The Musketeers (as Aramis), and briefly in CBS' excruciating Salvation as a Tony Stark knock-off; he was fine in both, the BBC material gave him a bit more to work with, though both characters seemed to suit a charismatic acting style.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Santiago Cabrera didn't ring any bells, but I was a big fan of the first season of Heroes. If you recall that most of the initial plot was kick-started by the premonitions of a drug-addict artist painting things that were going to happen. He played that artist, if I recall was one of the stronger cast members (until Spock killed him).

Michelle Hurd has a very long history of high-calibre US TV programmes, mostly dramas, though superhero/sci-fi stuff more recently. None of which I've ever watched, but she's far from a rookie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

AMKC wrote: »
    So there has been some more casting for the series

https://deadline.com/2019/03/santiago-cabrera-michelle-hurdcast-star-trek-jean-luc-picard-series-cbs-all-access-1202569185/

Santiago Cabrera & Michelle Hurd To Co-Star In ‘Star Trek’ Jean-Luc Picard Series On CBS All Access

Anyone any idea what these have been in and what is your thoughts on them?

“Hurd is playing a former intelligence officer who is a brilliant analyst with a terrific memory that has not been affected by her drug and alcohol abuse.”

Gene Roddenberry wouldn’t approve. Harlan Ellison was bitter Roddenberry cut a subplot about drug dealing on the Enterprise from a script he wrote for TOS.

As much as Gene Roddenberry made Star Trek he could have equally killed it off if not removed from TNG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Blame it on the new Data. Her brain quickend by booze it's hardly her fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Thinking further on the addiction thing. I suppose it's a form of self depreciation in a character that if not directed could lead to anything script wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,258 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Do not call It Destiny
    Do not call It Destiny
    Do not call It Destiny
    Do not call It Destiny
    Do not call It Destiny
    Do not call It Destiny

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Advertisement