Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,266 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

James McAvoy makes his Star Trek Pitch to play a young Picard...

https://comicbook.com/startrek/amp/2019/01/28/star-trek-picard-series-james-mcavory-young-pitch/

“I will take you where no Star Trek fan has gone before,” McAvory said. “I will reveal things about Jean-Luc Picard that nobody even wanted to see. I will rip this captain to shreds.”

Now, I'm no casting director but sure shredding a beloved figure and taking it to places no one wanted to see, is not the best way forward.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

https://comicbook.com/startrek/amp/2019/01/28/star-trek-picard-series-james-mcavory-young-pitch/

“I will take you where no Star Trek fan has gone before,” McAvory said. “I will reveal things about Jean-Luc Picard that nobody even wanted to see. I will rip this captain to shreds.”

Now, I'm no casting director but sure shredding a beloved figure and taking it to places no one wanted to see, is not the best way forward.

I'd guess that was largely tongue-in-cheek. There was that bit of lash back about McAvoy playing young Professor Xavier in the X-Men movies, even though in the latter one he was only like 10 years younger than the Xavier we see in Wolverine: Origins but looked totally different, and the whole drug thing in Days of Future Past (?)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,266 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I'd guess that was largely tongue-in-cheek. There was that bit of lash back about McAvoy playing young Professor Xavier in the X-Men movies, even though in the latter one he was only like 10 years younger than the Xavier we see in Wolverine: Origins but looked totally different, and the whole drug thing in Days of Future Past (?)

I think the one good thing from all that was it reset the timeline so that terrible film of X-Men 3 never happened

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,536 ✭✭✭Inviere

Interesting, but is probably a new foe.....or, a very very ancient one....

I'm not sure I want to see an aged Picard go toe to toe with yet another new, or even old, foe. I feel the biggest foe of all, is the one that lives within humanity...the darkness of Section 31. Who better than to topple S31, than Jean Luc Picard...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Am I the only one who dislikes Section 31? Just seems like a lazy writers crutch to me.

Can't think of a story within humanities utopian future? How about a mysterious shadow organisation! WoooOOoooOooo, how dastardly and devious!

Blargh. Can't we just have nice things and go explore the galaxy together?

• Advertisement

Goodshape wrote: »
    Am I the only one who dislikes Section 31? Just seems like a lazy writers crutch to me.

Can't think of a story within humanities utopian future? How about a mysterious shadow organisation! WoooOOoooOooo, how dastardly and devious!

Blargh. Can't we just have nice things and go explore the galaxy together?

Hate them myself. Goes against absolutely everything in TNG re the Federation. It's why I groan thinking of a new spin off show putting S31 front and center :rolleyes: I think if anyone were to topple Section 31, I'd like to see Picard do it - the diplomat, the peace maker, the humanitarian, the face of the goodness in humanity, versus the bad in humanity.

I'd prefer if they just weren't a part of the Picard show at all though.

Goodshape wrote: »
    I'd prefer if they just weren't a part of the Picard show at all though.

If it was to topple the organisation, then I'm down for that. Anything else, then no.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Every time this thread is bumped I get excited that it's that first (set) photo of Stewart as Picard.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,722 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ye I seen that too and would have no problem with him doing it if they stick to canon and he plays the Picard that is young and aragont before he matures to to the one we know that become's Captain Picard. We could get to see a bit of him in the Academy and then later on the Stargazer.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Patrick Stewart is going to be on the Graham Norton Show tonight. Always a great guest. I wonder will he/did he ask anything about his new show and if he Patrick gave any hints at all about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Unsurprisingly, Jonathon Frakes has revealed he's due to direct some of the Picard series; no details on how many episodes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Rawr

pixelburp wrote: »
    Unsurprisingly, Jonathon Frakes has revealed he's due to direct some of the Picard series; no details on how many episodes though.

MV5BNjEwOWFkMWItYjlhYi00MjljLWJhMzAtYzNhYjNkNWZjYjg5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzQ2MDUxMTg@._V1_.jpg
    Early footage of him directing Picard :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭liamtech

Attempted to share a link but its broken - Darmok and Jilad! Coming soon to CBS ALL ACCESS

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Rawr

liamtech wrote: »
    Attempted to share a link but its broken - Darmok and Jilad! Coming soon to CBS ALL ACCESS

Shaka! When the paywall fell!

:D

Ms

Darmok and Jilad at Tenagra!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Rawr wrote: »
    Shaka! When the paywall fell!

:D

With sails sales unfurled :(

Darmok.. on the ocean

darmok.jpg

• Advertisement

Fair bit of info there! Sounds pretty good.

Cautious optimism intensifies.

Been searching for more infor

This link provides a bit more detail on the characters and the possible story arc

http://thathashtagshow.com/2019/03/01/picard-series-character-update/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is Picard still Picard without the Enterprise and its crew? Because I was never really a fan of episodes like Captain's Holiday or Gambit that involved Picard going off and having adventures on his own. I also thought Stewart was especially prone in those episodes to acting out of character, often due to the writers not having a clear vision of who Picard was without the uniform.

I'm not saying this series should just be the continuing adventures of the Enterprise, but I would hope that it doesn't drift too far from the Picard we know, or if it does that it's at least about him getting back to that place, kinda like the third season of Twin Peaks.

So that confirms Picard is not part of Starfleet, and the cast suggests an unorthodox crew, presumably also not starfleet. Guess whatever had Picard travelling the cosmos requires going off the books

Is Picard still Picard without the Enterprise and its crew? Because I was never really a fan of episodes like Captain's Holiday or Gambit that involved Picard going off and having adventures on his own. I also thought Stewart was especially prone in those episodes to acting out of character, often due to the writers not having a clear vision of who Picard was without the uniform.

I'm not saying this series should just be the continuing adventures of the Enterprise, but I would hope that it doesn't drift too far from the Picard we know, or if it does that it's at least about him getting back to that place, kinda like the third season of Twin Peaks.

Seems to suggest it will definitely be Ambassador Picard, dealing with the fallout of the destruction of Romulas (and one presumes, Remus) - refugees, problems with the klingons who are no doubt delighted with the situation.. Possible Cardassian Involvement? I think it goes without saying there will be cameos in this from TNG and maybe even DS9 - obviously its all very skant info wise - but im optimistic -

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I think the most important question is what will the Klingons look like. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Looking at the comments and already there's a certain element grumbling about the PC SJWs because there doesn't seem to be enough white males in the show.
    I think the most important question is what will the Klingons look like. ;)

If only because it would drive the canon-heads out of their minds, I think they should redesign the Klingons again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If only because it would drive the canon-heads out of their minds, I think they should redesign the Klingons again.

Apparently the Klingon forehead is basically a fashion statement, like phone covers, beards, hair length or hemlines.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I tend to groan when I hear "a band of rogues" in Star Trek...it's almost always bad fan-fiction/novels that use the idea. I still think if anyone can do this though, Stewart can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭Evade

Picard must be up to something very extra legal if that's the kind of crew he's assembled.

A Romulan spiritual order seems kind of off.
    That is the strangest take.

Advertisement