Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That is certainly an interesting set of characters. I would say they have not fully defined the characters yet either as it says for some that they are of any ethnicity

I think the interactions between them should be very interesting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

AMKC wrote: »
    That is certainly an interesting set of characters. I would say they have not fully defined the characters yet either as it says for some that they are of any ethnicity

That's not unusual with casting calls. I'd say it's probably even the norm these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Looking at the comments and already there's a certain element grumbling about the PC SJWs because there doesn't seem to be enough white males in the show

My bro was just pointing out to me how in all the ads now the parents of kids are black and white, usually white woman!!

I was like wtf? How do you notice that? Why do you notice that? Should I notice that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,266 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Once Picard is not part of Section31 it will be fine. It would completely go against his ethics.

Keep Section31 out of this show.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Rawr

Once Picard is not part of Section31 it will be fine. It would completely go against his ethics.

Keep Section31 out of this show.

Yea....also Discovery really "pulled a Borg" on them. I can't stant S31, now they are over done....and silly.
    They really should re-think their planned S31 show too....I don't see that going well anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Call it intuition, Iv'e a feeling Michelle Forbes (Ro Laren) will make an appearance. While the above crew is a bit sketchy you could say there might be a lacking of trust on the basis of the character breakdowns given so far. There was a special relationship there with Picard/Laren that would need to be revised surely, could possibly keep the crew in line.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The handy thing about the potential format is that TNG cameos are easily achieved via the view screen, without the need to book all the actors in. I can easily foresee Riker for instance popping up for a good "good luck Jean Luc", or the captain calling in favours from commander leforge etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,266 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

pixelburp wrote: »
    The handy thing about the potential format is that TNG cameos are easily achieved via the view screen, without the need to book all the actors in. I can easily foresee Riker for instance popping up for a good "good luck Jean Luc", or the captain calling in favours from commander leforge etc...

It worked in Nemesis with Janeway talking to Picard.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

It worked in Nemesis with Janeway talking to Picard.

Nemesis never happened and neither did "admiral" Janeway.

FFS strand her ship in Delta, lose how many crew, comes home and promoted?? :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Maybe they figured bottling her up in an Admirals job kept her away from the captains chair, and causing any further disasters? Not like the real world doesn't have ample examples of people 'failing upwards' as they say, rewarded for ostensible failure with executive roles...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

My bet is that Picard is the cause of/behind the 'Red Angel' phenomenon thingy.

Discovery has to be the lamest ST ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

My bet is that Picard is the cause of/behind the 'Red Angel' phenomenon thingy.

Discovery has to be the lamest ST ever.

100% disagree, however to each his own

Ms

Nemesis never happened and neither did "admiral" Janeway.

FFS strand her ship in Delta, lose how many crew, comes home and promoted?? :mad:

Sure see brought them back advanced technology from the future so of course they were going to promote her and she got her ship home. She might have lost some crew but not near as many as Captain Ransom of the USS Equinox. Sure that ship had a rougher journey but they choose to go the way they did instead of going another way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,536 ✭✭✭Inviere

Sure see brought them back advanced technology from the future so of course they were going to promote her and she got her ship home. She might have lost some crew but not near as many as Captain Ransom of the USS Equinox. Sure that ship had a rougher journey but they choose to go the way they did instead of going another way.

I find the Janeway hate really unwarranted myself. She stranded her crew in the Delta Quadrant by following the Prime Directive, a very selfless decision to protect the Okampa. Yes she lost some crew, but what Captain hasn't? She got the crew home, from one side of the galaxy to the other in 7 years, an unimaginable feat. She brought back archives and archives of knowledge, advanced technology, and while she made some enemies along the way, she made friends too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

''Starton is "terrified of space" and specializes in "positronic brains." He is interested in the research part of Picard's mission. He is, like his three compatriots, in his early 30s.''

Wonder what this fellow will be doing? With a name like that, he's probably positronic brained himself. Wonder did the Romulans make him as an apology for the loss of Data.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

That might not be the real character names. Afaik casting calls for big productions usually use fake names.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Could be a mission to recreate/restore data ??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,374 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Can any of you trekies explain to me how he is supposed to be French but has an English accent that you could cut glass with?

Was it done as an in joke?
    Why not make him English not French?

Was Patrick Stewart that bad at French accents that they told him not to bother so we will make up a story - 'The French accent is obscure in the 24th century etc....'

Edit It seems to be the latter the could not do the French accent so the Star Trek producers said don't do it

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Could be a mission to recreate/restore data ??

"The Search for Data"? I was thinking this too.

• Advertisement

Hanelle Culpepper directing the first two episodes. Disappointing as I really hoped Frakes would get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

As soon as i read specializes in "positronic brains." Data came to mind, given B4 has the "memories" of Data as they were transferred in Nemesis maybe they take on the events of the below from Memory-Alpha
    The comic book series Star Trek: Countdown (a tie-in to the 2009 Star Trek film) and the timeline established for the Star Trek Online game depict Data as alive in 2387. Sometime prior, Geordi La Forge installed Data's emotion chip into B-4's neural net. This caused the uploads to B-4 by Data to fully activate, allowing Data's full memory and personality to assert itself, essentially resurrecting him. Starfleet decided to reinstate the android to service and, by the time of Countdown, Data had become captain of the USS Enterprise-E.

Take artificial aging by data into account to account for Brent Spiner's age and it could work as a long story arc for season 1

Ms

"The Search for Data"? I was thinking this too.

But Data was never lost unless he goes rogue again. He was destroyed and then restored in B-4 just not fully as Data. I can't believe it would take 20 odd years before they decide to try the emotion chip in him and hey presto. Surely they would have tried that long before then?

Wait, was the implication in Nemesis that B4 was effectively Data? I always presumed 'our' Data was dead, and B4 was just given a rough template to build a personality off.

"The Search for Data" would seem like an odd mission though; given Discovery's proclivity for 'going big' as the Yanks say I had just presumed the Picard show will be following suit. Unless the key to saving the galaxy is linked with restoring Data.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I don't think a show about resurrecting Data is going to work or, indeed, makes much sense.

Firstly, why Data? The show is apparently heavily focused on the impact of the destruction of Romulus on Picard. Surely the death of Data years earlier pales compared to that (and Wolf 359). Picard, at this stage, has seen alot of death and destruction.

*By the way, it's super fcuking exciting to be talking about this time period again*

Secondly, the Countdown Comics put Data on the bridge of the Enterprise E at the time of the destruction of Romulus. I don't think they are going to go against that, regardless of whether it is actually canon or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Rawr

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I don't think a show about resurrecting Data is going to work or, indeed, makes much sense.

Firstly, why Data? The show is apparently heavily focused on the impact of the destruction of Romulus on Picard. Surely the death of Data years earlier pales compared to that (and Wolf 359). Picard, at this stage, has seen alot of death and destruction.

*By the way, it's super fcuking exciting to be talking about this time period again*

Secondly, the Countdown Comics put Data on the bridge of the Enterprise E at the time of the destruction of Romulus. I don't think they are going to go against that, regardless of whether it is actually canon or not.

I agree.

I think it would make more sense to follow Countdown and already have a Captain Data on the Enterprise E (Which I would f***ing LOVE by the way) while Picard is doing his thing.

Maybe Picard is on the run from Starfleet, and they've sent Data & the Enterprise after him? That could lend to an interesting situation where Data is stuggling with his duty to the Federation verses his friendship with Picard.

In that sense Capt. Data might make for a very interesting "villian" of the series, where he represents the long arm of Starfleet reaching out to try and catch Picard and his motly crew...while at the same time being a sympathetic character who we know and understand.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Wait, was the implication in Nemesis that B4 was effectively Data? I always presumed 'our' Data was dead, and B4 was just given a rough template to build a personality off.

"The Search for Data" would seem like an odd mission though; given Discovery's proclivity for 'going big' as the Yanks say I had just presumed the Picard show will be following suit. Unless the key to saving the galaxy is linked with restoring Data.

Yeah, like Star Trek IV, which wasn’t just about rescuing some whales. Or rather it was but it was tied to a save the earth plot.

Whether it’s this or something else, there will be a personal element to Picard's mission. Some continuity related stuff about Romulus won’t cut it.

I am hoping they just ignore Nemesis's implication that B4 became Data in a new body. I hated that, it was terrible writing and pointless. Data died, B4 is somewhere else now and will never be mentioned again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

This is going to be set around 2399 isn't it? 20 years after Nemesis which was 2379.

When were the Countdown comics set?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I didn't think the end of Nemesis was ever supposed to hint that B-4 would become Data, but merely that Data had at least managed to leave something behind and hadn't been completely lost. Hadn't they established that B-4 was just too inferior to ever develop like Data had?

Of course, Lore still exists. "Permanently deactivated" doesn't have to mean that :D

The casting call sounds interesting enough. It seems to hint at earlier bits and pieces we'd heard - that Picard was likely involved with Spock in trying to save Romulus.
    The fact that there's a positronic expert who hates space though seems to hint that he wouldn't go unless it was absolutely necessary - i.e. to chase down something to do with Soong's work?

Perhaps the basis will be that someone at Starfleet didn't like the burgeoning peace developing with the Romulans, reactivated Lore and gave him a mission to destabilise it by whatever means. Lore being Lore then went overboard and destroyed Romulus. Picard is hell bent on tracking him down, but Starfleet want to cover it up to avoid their part in it being known. So he sets off with his band of mercenaries to track down Lore and maybe stop him before he destroys another planet?

Casting calls do tend to provide rough outlines though, ideas that end up being changed when they go to full production. So I wouldn't read too much into them being the final makeup of a given crew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,536 ✭✭✭Inviere

But Data was never lost

If androids had katra's, B4 has Data's. I always felt B4 was an almost empty template, albeit less advanced, that once Data's 'data' had been processed, it would have essentially brought Data back, in a 'Tuvix' kind of way, fused with B4, neither one, nor the other.

Advertisement