Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cupra Born

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Love the look, front looks very Tesla-ish. I assume the final product won't look as hot hatch like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭Ryath

Better pics here.
    https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-geneva-motor-show/seats-202bhp-el-born-brands-first-bespoke-ev

Says it's 95% production ready. It may be equivalent of Fr spec in pics a entry level one mightn't look as sporty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

It the ID Neo with a Seat badge on it..... :-)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

A bit nicer looking than the concept of the neo imo.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    A bit nicer looking than the concept of the neo imo.

I will hold judgement till I see both production models

I do love some of the cars Seat are coming out with.

They just seem to be making some nice looking car and with VW technology underneath them it is a winner.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

ID.3 seems to have a better brand ID (see what I did there). This SEAT looks like a bastard child of Model 3, i3 and L40 with some Opel Astra thrown in. It's a rather good looking car though. Interior looks great too colour excepted.

62 kWh should result in a very competitive range compared to Niro and L62 and this will probably charge at real 100 kW if not 150 kW.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

My first thought was seat el bjorn for some reason.
    Silly name.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    It the ID Neo with a Seat badge on it..... :-)
    That's what nearly all VAG group cars are :) Same chassis and mechanical bits. Huge amount of switch gear is shared across the range. Good chance the Seat will undercut the ID 3 on price. It won't has a much tech as standard, it will use cheaper plastics in the cabin, have less sound deadening material but look much more stylish and sporty. Pretty much exactly like the Golf vs Leon now
    ELM327 wrote: »
    My first thought was seat el bjorn for some reason.
    Silly name.

I was saying it in my head that way too at first. I may be debageing it!

Ryath wrote: »
    That's what nearly VAG group cars are :) Same chassis and mechanical bits. Huge amount of switch gear is shared across the range. Good chance the Seat will undercut the ID 3 on price. It won't has a much tech as standard, it will use cheaper plastics in the cabin, have less sound deadening material but look much more stylish and sporty. Pretty much exactly like the Golf vs Leon now

I was saying in my head that way too at first. I may be debageing it!

A lot of the cars at the moment from Seat are looking very good

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Will be exactly same car underneath as the Neo, but sportier looking and €1k cheaper. What's not to like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭scooby77

Have to say the likes of that and polestar( different league I know, but...) are catching my eye. Maybe Rivian too. Fun designs.
    Plan was current Seat diesel 2/3 more years. Then hybrid/phev then inevitably electric.
    However I like the look of where electric design appears to be going ( and of course range and performance).
    Might skip hybrid!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

Thats not bad at all. Ill be goin for a test drive in that when it arrives.

Thats not bad at all. Ill be goin for a test drive in that when it arrives.

I wouldn't hold breath....it wont see a dealer till the ID is out and sold a good few...

VW will not allow Seat to take sales away from ID

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I wouldn't hold breath....it wont see a dealer till the ID is out and sold a good few...

VW will not allow Seat to take sales away from ID

I wait for it. In no rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭scooby77

Read it's RWD. Can't find same written about ID neo, but assume it's same. Is that the general trend for future EVs- RWD or AWD?

scooby77 wrote: »
    Read it's RWD. Can't find same written about ID neo, but assume it's same. Is that the general trend for future EVs- RWD or AWD?

ID is RWD, they said this on first test drive

Based on the eGolf with only 115-130Bhp a FWD car would have huge issues with wheel spin. Switching to a RWD makes prefect sense

Will be interesting to see what they do with Crozz, they will have an AWD version but on the single drive will they do RWD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

It's a trend for VW group at least.
    https://www.motortrend.com/news/volkswagen-abandons-front-wheel-drive-evs/
    They say EVs have too much torque for FWD and there is no cost saving in having FWD in an EV.
    Wouldn't be surprised if more designed from scratch EVs go with RWD, while converted cars like the e208 and Kona stay FWD.

dloob wrote: »
    It's a trend for VW group at least.
    https://www.motortrend.com/news/volkswagen-abandons-front-wheel-drive-evs/
    They say EVs have too much torque for FWD and there is no cost saving in having FWD in an EV.
    Wouldn't be surprised if more designed from scratch EVs go with RWD, while converted cars like the e208 and Kona stay FWD.

The ID will be RWD or AWD, they have AWD for the Crozz and the buggie

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

Looks like a great car. Must say I'm really liking the direction VAG are heading. Their EV designs are lovely and they now seem to get it. There will be some traditional auto that won't make it as the world transitions to electric. VAG will though, I see them still dominating in 10 years time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Looks like a great car. Must say I'm really liking the direction VAG are heading. Their EV designs are lovely and they now seem to get it. There will be some traditional auto that won't make it as the world transitions to electric. VAG will though, I see them still dominating in 10 years time.

With concepts?

Mike9832 wrote: »
    With concepts?

Every new generation has concept's.

I think so as well.....no surprise.....with the Neo, Crozz and Buzz they have 3 cars which look incredible

Few videos up of the car no decent ones in english though.

This gave the most thorough look around I've seen. It's quite spacious and has a pretty decent sized boot. 62kwh battery and 200bhp. Had seen comments else where that the entry level one would start with a 48kwh battery and less power. Meant to be a bigger battery too and possibility of 4wd. Say that will be saved for the Cupra version!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

Or this one in Spanish...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Does anyone know what the typical timelines are for the likes of this - from a 95% production--ready car being exhibited to ready for purchase in Ireland? Would we probably talking 2021?

It's a beautiful car. Have been in Seats since 2011 and really like them. The lack of an EV means I'm seriously considering moving away from them. If this was available in 12-18 months, I may well hang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

nkay1985 wrote: »
    If this was available in 12-18 months, I may well hang on.

By 18 months I presume you mean on a 211 reg?

I'd say chances are it will be available here by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭CFC007

The full production car is to reveled at the Frankfurt motor show in September along side the VW ID .3
    nkay1985 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the typical timelines are for the likes of this - from a 95% production--ready car being exhibited to ready for purchase in Ireland? Would we probably talking 2021?

It's a beautiful car. Have been in Seats since 2011 and really like them. The lack of an EV means I'm seriously considering moving away from them. If this was available in 12-18 months, I may well hang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

Reading the various published interviews with VW people, they say that the strategy for rwd came from the following:
    Unloading of the front wheels under acceleration, so wheelspin becomes a big issue for with the high wheel torque available in a fwd ev
    Assembly - the motor is mounted on a rear subframe, making assembly faster (sub-assemblies ready to go)
    Packaging - Space up front (froot, frunk, surely someone can come up with a decent-sounding name) is liberated for all of the other bits and pieces including A/C unit which can be moved out of the cabin, thus liberating cabin space for the occupants

My guess is that cars designed to be either ICE or hybrid or ev (e.g. ioniq or 208) or derived from fwd cars (present gen zoe) will likely remain as fwd in the near future due to the limitations of the design, but purpose-designed ev's will tend to be rwd except maybe for sub-compacts (e.g. zoe)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Fitz2011

https://ev-database.org/car/1178/SEAT-el-Born
    Anyone know if this will be available next year? Saying in the link above available from March 2020

Advertisement