Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I must try that to compare and contrast :)

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Cherry and almond oat breakfast buns.
    43-D677-BE-5-DD5-432-C-9297-C774-D7468-A46.jpg

Flapjacks & a chocolate topping brought into work today. Because it's Friday.

20190215-142049-800x450.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Where do you work? I want to work there too!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I made a banana loaf yesterday - there's not much left.

IMG-5977-2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

kylith wrote: »
    Cherry and almond oat breakfast buns.
    43-D677-BE-5-DD5-432-C-9297-C774-D7468-A46.jpg

These sound and look lovely, could you share the recipie please?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Sure thing!

4 cups porridge oats
    1cup dried cherries
    1 cup flaked almonds
    1 tsp baking powder
    Half tsp salt
    Quarter cup brown sugar
    Third cup honey/golden syrup
    2.3 cups milk (or plant based alternative)
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tsp almond essence

Mix, divide (12 buns/6 muffins/one big slab), bake at 180 for approx 20 minutes. If making 12 approx 175cal per bun

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Mmmm Dizzyblonde that banana loaf looks gorgeous - what recipe do you use? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

leahyl wrote: »
    Mmmm Dizzyblonde that banana loaf looks gorgeous - what recipe do you use? :)

It's an Odlums one that isn't on their site anymore. I tried the Hummingbird Bakery recipe and it wasn't as nice as this one.

225g/8oz self raising flour
    125g/4oz butter
    125g/4oz soft brown sugar
    2 eggs
    2 large bananas (mashed)
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    100g packet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 170C/325F/Gas 3. Lightly grease and line a 900g/2lb loaf tin.
    2. Put the butter, sugar, eggs, mashed banana and vanilla extract into a bowl and beat well (though I prefer to cream the butter and sugar a bit first)
    3. Add the flour and stir into the mixture. Finally, gently stir in the chocolate chips.
    4. Transfer to the prepared tin, Smooth the top with the back of a spoon.
    5. Bake in a central oven position for about 50 minutes until well risen and a knife gently pressed into the bread comes out clean.
    6. Allow to rest in tin for about 10 minutes then turn onto a wire tray to cool.
    7. When cold wrap in greaseproof paper and tinfoil.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

2 ingredient macaroons....
    I can condensed milk,
    I bag of dessicated coconut,

Method..
    Mix..

And chuck in the oven either in a shallow roasting pan as a tray bake,
    Or use 2 oiled spoons to make individual macaroons,
    But grease the pan well, cos it sticks like crazy,

I don't have any pics, because they didn't last long enough...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote: »
    2 ingredient macaroons....
    I can condensed milk,
    I bag of dessicated coconut,

Method..
    Mix..

And chuck in the oven either in a shallow roasting pan as a tray bake,
    Or use 2 oiled spoons to make individual macaroons,
    But grease the pan well, cos it sticks like crazy,

I don't have any pics, because they didn't last long enough...

What temperature and for how long?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

My baby’s birthday last week so we had unicorn cookies and a rainbow dash cake

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

What temperature and for how long?

180 degrees and about 20 mins as a tray bake, about 12 to 15 mins as individual macaroons..

And I did a version with the caramelised condensed milk, (the banoffee pie stuff), sea salt and lime juice..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

Markcheese wrote: »
    180 degrees and about 20 mins as a tray bake, about 12 to 15 mins as individual macaroons..

And I did a version with the caramelised condensed milk, (the banoffee pie stuff), sea salt and lime juice..

It must be macaroon season :D

I made them this evening but with:

100g dessicated coconut
    1 egg white
    50g sugar
    pinch of salt
    few drops of vanilla extract
    few drops of almond extract (optional)

Had some red velvet curd (impulse M&S discount purchase :o) to glob on top before baking and they turned out pretty good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Anyone know where to get a decent bench scraper? Tried HomeStore&More today with no luck. Nothing in Argos either.

Something like this

81Q2cfgAyqL._SX425_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

I get 90% of my decorating stuff from amazon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

"Anyone know where to get a decent bench scraper? Tried HomeStore&More today with no luck. Nothing in Argos either."

I bought a bench scraper like the one in your picture in TKMaxx, but their stock is very much luck of the draw.
    Your best bet is probably Anthony Ryan's Homestore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Nokotan wrote: »
    Anyone know where to get a decent bench scraper? Tried HomeStore&More today with no luck. Nothing in Argos either.

Something like this

81Q2cfgAyqL._SX425_.jpg

Nisbets have a pretty big selection of dough scrappers you can order online or in their Moore Street shop

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Nisbets have a pretty big selection of dough scrappers you can order online or in their Moore Street shop
    Thanks, delivery is a bit pricey online so I'll pop in next time I'm in town.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Mint slices this weekend...soft biscuity base, peppermint filling with green food colouring for added effect and a rich dark chocolate topping. Mixed some double cream in with the dark chocolate to make it easier to cut. These are so delicious. I'm always wary of how easy it is to overdo peppermint flavouring, could probably have used a little less but everyones tastes are different, lots of people would want the 2 teaspoons.

IMG-6679.jpg

And a variation of my Snickers cupcakes. I usually do this as marbled cupcakes and do up a peanut butter batter and a chocolate batter but I was too lazy to do both so I just walloped some peanut butter into my chocolate cupcake batter to see how that went. There was a faint taste of peanut butter from the batter but none at all for me from the actual cup cake. Then did a salted peanut and caramel filling and a caramel mascarpone icing, topped with more caramel and knock off snickers bars from Lidl :pac:

Overcooked the cupcakes a little as I got distracted looking at pictures of other peoples cakes on instagram :( The icing could have done with a bit more sugar and a big more mixing I think to make it a bit more solid, was hard to pipe that consistency. I'm not a massive fan of cupcakes mostly because icing them can be so messy but I need to make cupcakes more, so much you can do with them decorating wise and I like making characters out of them...when I've more time :rolleyes:

IMG-6683.jpg
    IMG-6688.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I made aquafaba (chickpea water) meringue! I'm not a vegan, but have issues with egg, so had been meaning to try this for a while. The chewy parts still had a slight beany flavour, but worked well with strawberries and cream :)

I also made some small loaves of walnut and banana bread :)

woodchuck wrote: »
    I made aquafaba (chickpea water) meringue! I'm not a vegan, but have issues with egg, so had been meaning to try this for a while. The chewy parts still had a slight beany flavour, but worked well with strawberries and cream :)

They look great. I'm fascinated by the way the chickpea water can be used to make meringue. You've just reminded me to look it up to see how else it can be used...I can't eat chickpeas so dunno if I could use the water in baking I'm eating but it seems to be a pretty cool substitute and very usable in vegan baking.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

They look great. I'm fascinated by the way the chickpea water can be used to make meringue. You've just reminded me to look it up to see how else it can be used...I can't eat chickpeas so dunno if I could use the water in baking I'm eating but it seems to be a pretty cool substitute and very usable in vegan baking.
    I've eaten the polar opposite of aquafaba meringue, and it was very interesting. They used pigs blood instead of the eggs, so they had a curious flavour with a slight metallic taste.

Tree wrote: »
    I've eaten the polar opposite of aquafaba meringue, and it was very interesting. They used pigs blood instead of the eggs, so they had a curious flavour with a slight metallic taste.

:eek: How do people come up with these things!! I'm just going to start picking random liquids and try whipping them to see if they'll make meringues...

Tree wrote: »

Saw something on that recently. Definitely not for me that. :pac:

Gluten free profiteroles. Normal ones and then an amazing lemon cream with caramel. So happy with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Gluten free profiteroles. Normal ones and then an amazing lemon cream with caramel. So happy with them

Drooooolllll!!! Could you share your gluten free profiterole recipe please?

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Drooooolllll!!! Could you share your gluten free profiterole recipe please?

Of course! Very basic

50g butter, 160ml water - bring to the boil

Add 75g gf flour and a teaspoon of sugar. Stir vigorously and return to heat for 30 secs.

Remove from heat. Beat 2 eggs and add 1/2 egg mixture to batter. Beat well and add remaining egg

Pipe and bake in oven for 35 mins at 180 degrees

Remove and put a small cut in the side to allow for steam to remove

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

#RentDayBlues, thanks for that. I use Dove's gf flour and sometimes Odlums Tritamyl. I'll start with Dove's.

Advertisement