Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Seemed to be all clear this morning. I spotted the clamping van at Harolds Cross Bridge this morning too. They might be making a regular occurence of it. :D

Interesting. My experience of Harolds cross road this morn approaching the bridge was very different. The first time I have ever seen the bus lane full of vehicles all the way from Harolds cross park/fork to the bridge. Approx 500 metres of illegal vehicles bar one or 2 busses stuck in the middle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Interesting. My experience of Harolds cross road this morn approaching the bridge was very different. The first time I have ever seen the bus lane full of vehicles all the way from Harolds cross park/fork to the bridge. Approx 500 metres of illegal vehicles bar one or 2 busses stuck in the middle

Ah yeah, that's standard. I was referring to parking in the cycle lane around Kimmage and Clanbrassil Street.

The bus lane at Harolds Cross is a free for all in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Seemed to be all clear this morning. I spotted the clamping van at Harolds Cross Bridge this morning too. They might be making a regular occurence of it. :D

:D

Illegal parking close to that bridge would be not a sensible thing, but a lot of people seem to regard parking a minute or two away as something unconscionable, and also a lot of people aren't sensible or considerate. Regular enforcement of the timed cycle lanes in that area is more than overdue. The clamping vans are based in a yard behind the demolished cinema in Harold's X or Terenure, i.e. nearby, so surely it should be straightforward. Hopefully.

Illegal parking close to that bridge would be not a sensible thing, but a lot of people seem to regard parking a minute or two away as something unconscionable, and also a lot of people aren't sensible or considerate. Regular enforcement of the timed cycle lanes in that area is more than overdue. The clamping vans are based in a yard behind the demolished cinema in Harold's X or Terenure, i.e. nearby, so surely it should be straightforward. Hopefully.

At the very least they should view it as a handy revenue stream with the side benefit of improving safety for those scoundrels on two wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Nice one this evening.

Coming home through the Phoenix park towards Castleknock. Crossing over at the cycle / ped crossing at last roundabout when a car approaches from my left and straddles the crossing.

Bit of a D!ck move, and looked like he knew what he was doing - clocked a quick smug grin from him as I cycled around him. spotted him stuck in traffic at the lights at Castleknock gate - in a bmw estate, so stood out. I’m guessing 10 cars back.

I cycled through the Castleknock gates up the bus lane and headed up towards the village. Who appears on my right but our friend in the BMW who overtook me and immediately left hooked me turning into Georgian village. Nearly had me off the bike.

Anyway I’m sure he got some kick from it was sitting at home thinking “sure taught that clown on the bike”. I’m thinking I’ll replay the rear video and take it to blanch Garda station. WTF is wrong with people?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Illegal parking close to that bridge would be not a sensible thing, but a lot of people seem to regard parking a minute or two away as something unconscionable

Are the clampers still based around there? There used to be a depot on Greenmount avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are the clampers still based around there? There used to be a depot on Greenmount avenue.

As above the DSPS pound is behind the former cinema site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Nice one this evening.

Coming home through the Phoenix park towards Castleknock. Crossing over at the cycle / ped crossing at last roundabout when a car approaches from my left and straddles the crossing.

Bit of a D!ck move, and looked like he knew what he was doing - clocked a quick smug grin from him as I cycled around him. spotted him stuck in traffic at the lights at Castleknock gate - in a bmw estate, so stood out. I’m guessing 10 cars back.

I cycled through the Castleknock gates up the bus lane and headed up towards the village. Who appears on my right but our friend in the BMW who overtook me and immediately left hooked me turning into Georgian village. Nearly had me off the bike.

Anyway I’m sure he got some kick from it was sitting at home thinking “sure taught that clown on the bike”. I’m thinking I’ll replay the rear video and take it to blanch Garda station. WTF is wrong with people?

BMW driver, he probably cannot help it. :pac:

Still, stupid and dangerous of him.

I liked that cinema, a good old style one, just a site now.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

At the very least they should view it as a handy revenue stream with the side benefit of improving safety for those scoundrels on two wheels.

It should certainly pay the salary of new staff members recruited solely to patrol cycle lanes. At least for the first 6 months, until people stop doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Cycling home this evening and passing a junction, a car feigned to pull out and got a good laugh out of it and then when they passed were shouting out the window at, just flipped the bird at them.

I know i shouldn't have reacted but they were proper gowls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Mc Love wrote: »
    Cycling home this evening and passing a junction, a car feigned to pull out and got a good laugh out of it and then when they passed were shouting out the window at, just flipped the bird at them.

I know i shouldn't have reacted but they were proper gowls

OK... Glad someone else brought this up. Is this a "thing" now? Accelerating and braking almost in to the path of the bike to scare cyclists in to traffic? It's happened to me twice. Big sneery face on the driver both times. It's not just me, work colleague (who has an admirable 22k commute) has had the same happen to him a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,538 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Usual story at Eden Quay today - no doubt the option to remain behind the cyclist, avoid scaring the pants of them and probably saving themselves a bit of time in the long run never entered their tiny brain.

https://streamable.com/zonnv

Usual story at Eden Quay today - no doubt the option to remain behind the cyclist, avoid scaring the pants of them and probably saving themselves a bit of time in the long run never entered their tiny brain.

That’s on my morning commute. Center of the lane all the way for me to avoid these selfish twats. “Why don’t cyclists use cycle lanes”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Had a guy Rev his engine and tailgate me from star of the sea church sandymount to the junction of serpentine Avenue and trying to overtake me. He was screaming out at me and so I stopped. Apparently I cut him off because I was taking the lane. I invited him to Irishtown Garda station. He declined. :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

They behave like this because there is no consequence, even if they followed through, which most won't, very little will happen to them. You can go to the Gardai with video evidence and most times it will be ignored. One day though someone will pull out a kryptonite lock and go to town on them, I don't condone it but I won't shed a tear over it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

CramCycle wrote: »
    They behave like this because there is no consequence, even if they followed through, which most won't, very little will happen to them. You can go to the Gardai with video evidence and most times it will be ignored. One day though someone will pull out a kryptonite lock and go to town on them, I don't condone it but I won't shed a tear over it either.

We're pretty allergic to any sort of consequences here in Ireland. We just watching the show on TV3 with Matt Cooper and Ivan Yates and listening to Verona Murphy of the Irish Hauliers Association arguing for learner permit drivers to be allowed to merrily pootle around to work / college etc with no licence and no consequences.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,300 ✭✭✭Macy0161

No footage, but a "nice" close pass from a Taxi this morning on the N11 between Brewery Road and Kilmacud Road. I was in the on road section of cycle lane, middle of it, and the taxi decided I still wasn't entitled to even the full width of the cycle lane. Then took exception to being called out on it. Mandatory cycle lane, lights, RBS jacket, helmet, I still must have been doing something to annoy him.

Either that or he was checking his lync app or whatever others they use, while driving, like so many bloody taxi drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 greenwaving

Pinch Flat wrote: »

That’s on my morning commute. Center of the lane all the way for me to avoid these selfish twats. “Why don’t cyclists use cycle lanes”

Sadly even taking the center lane doesn't stop them all. They will often fly across from the right lane as well. I do it every evening and that part coupled with the next section outside custom house where the buses park and take over the left lane (I was hit here by a car trying to squeeze past) are the two parts I am always on extra guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Macy0161 wrote: »
    No footage, but a "nice" close pass from a Taxi this morning on the N11 between Brewery Road and Kilmacud Road. I was in the on road section of cycle lane, middle of it, and the taxi decided I still wasn't entitled to even the full width of the cycle lane. Then took exception to being called out on it. Mandatory cycle lane, lights, RBS jacket, helmet, I still must have been doing something to annoy him.

Either that or he was checking his lync app or whatever others they use, while driving, like so many bloody taxi drivers.

I hate that stretch of road, just so vulnerable to vehicles - particularly that god damn Microsoft Executive express bus, when they're empty going towards town they do 80km/hr down that road & it's way too close for comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Sadly even taking the center lane doesn't stop them all. They will often fly across from the right lane as well. I do it every evening and that part coupled with the next section outside custom house where the buses park and take over the left lane (I was hit here by a car trying to squeeze past) are the two parts I am always on extra guard.

I second that... horrible section

I take the lane there every morning too from where the Luas goes over the bridge to Liberty Hall. I have also nearly been taken out on more than one occasion from cars coming across from right lane too, however its still better than been in the dangerous cycle lane for that part. The buses/coaches blocking custom house quay also happens in the morn but not as much as evening from what I see.

• Advertisement

Coming down here towards the lights here in the lane on the right yesterday evening. I was a bit away from them as they were going from orange to red. I pulled into the cyclists box as they turned red and a gimp in a white BMW roared past me to go right. Fcuking flying it. I'm not sure they even saw me. Very close. I'm lit up like a fuppin Christmas tree.

For some reason my camera didn't record that section. The GoPro only records in 2.1GB sections and that part was missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

Coming down here towards the lights here in the lane on the right yesterday evening. I was a bit away from them as they were going from orange to red. I pulled into the cyclists box as they turned red and a gimp in a white BMW roared past me to go right. Fcuking flying it. I'm not sure they even saw me. Very close. I'm lit up like a fuppin Christmas tree.

For some reason my camera didn't record that section. The GoPro only records in 2.1GB sections and that part was missing.

These kinda situations are becoming the most dangerous for me lately.
    Approaching a light which is going from green to orange and from orange to red, I am often overtaken by cars/buses/anything accelerating through the junction not to miss the chance.
    It's a real issue lately.

queldy wrote: »
    These kinda situations are becoming the most dangerous for me lately.
    Approaching a light which is going from green to orange and from orange to red, I am often overtaken by cars/buses/anything accelerating through the junction not to miss the chance.
    It's a real issue lately.

Yeah, for sure. I'm afraid someone is going to drive through me in their rush to get to the next set of red traffic lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Had a guy Rev his engine and tailgate me from star of the sea church sandymount to the junction of serpentine Avenue and trying to overtake me. He was screaming out at me and so I stopped. Apparently I cut him off because I was taking the lane. I invited him to Irishtown Garda station. He declined. :(

Had similar driver follow me through the 30kmh zone in Sandymount the other day. I was in a car and they were tailgating and trying to edge around me constantly till we got to the 50kmh zone where we just joined the normal queue of traffic. I was grand as I was in the car, but there is something not quite right with some fellas. Also, yer man was in a right hand drive car so overtaking was not going to be easy in any event.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

This happened to me the other morning in Summerhill, at the junction where the now closed Sunset House is, me heading towards the 5 Lamps. Guy nearly drove into me trying to turn left, was forcing me into the turn left lane which was effectively a dead-end for me between him and the traffic waiting at the lights. I was simply cycling down the cycle lane. I roared at him and he finally stopped and let me through, don't know if he heard me or not but my x2 rear lights and hi-vis jacket obviously wasn't enough for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I hate that stretch of road, just so vulnerable to vehicles - particularly that god damn Microsoft Executive express bus

100% agree abut that bloody bus. The only thing is he doesn't care if it's 2 wheels or 4 he's up against, he's a menace either way

• Registered Users Posts: 28,538 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Van emerges from side street within spitting distance of approaching cyclist and scooter guy.
    https://streamable.com/00h84

He said the traffic was moving slowly, so he had to move.

I second that... horrible section

I take the lane there every morning too from where the Luas goes over the bridge to Liberty Hall. I have also nearly been taken out on more than one occasion from cars coming across from right lane too, however its still better than been in the dangerous cycle lane for that part. The buses/coaches blocking custom house quay also happens in the morn but not as much as evening from what I see.

Nearly got caught out at customs quay yesterday. Bike lane had a bus parked on it, indicated and moved out. Some tool in a taxi continues anyway, squeezing a few of us between him and the bus. Skimmed by about 5 or 6 bikes. Called him out on it at the red light he was in a rush to get to. “Fook off” was the reply. Sums up the attitude of our “professional drivers”. The one cohort of drivers that consistently compromise cyclists’ safety needlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

Macy0161 wrote: »

Lucky for me I moved office few months ago. No longer need to cycle up and down n11.

This was always the worst section. So many close call with motorists who are turning left.

Worst was a with a lorry driver with a roll on roll off skip who decided it was ok to try and pin me against the kerb.

Both of us had red light

Just ignored me when I went to try and speak to him. If only his lorry had a logo of the company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,597 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I've had 2 near misses in the past 3 days - both times I have been watching driver and knew that they had no awareness of my bike , so even though I had right of way had to break hard - todays was the worst - cycling through a junction and a lady in big Volvo SUV careeres through the juction oblivious to my precence , she was not looking ahead , either watching phone or other distraction , I braked hard and screamed at her , she neither stopped or aoologiised - she owned the road like.

I think it should be mandatory for all drivers to spend a certain time on bike, I drive a car soemtimes too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement