Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I used to listen to newstalk all the time but the constant cyclist bashing from almost every presenter has seen me "move the dial" completely now except for Off The Ball. It obviously engages their target demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Chiparus wrote: »
    On the positive side , George Hook and Paul Williams( who threatened to harm cyclists) are now gone.
    Agenda is changing.

Ciara Kelly and Ivan Yates are every bit as bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

The photo/video debacle is on newstalk now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

The good old 'I'm a cyclist myself' disclaimer out of the way early.......

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

jesus, we're now online vigilantes and need to be looked at seriously

• Advertisement

Vigilantism - wow......that's fairly strong.

has this argument ever been applied to any other individual that makes an offence public......

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

no one ever cared about this at all. gardai have done a great job of changing the conversation totally.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,906 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

let's say that the legal eagle was correct - for the person uploading the content to be taken to task over it, does the person depicted have to be the one to do so? or can another agency make a complaint about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TheJak01

The media law woman hit the nail on the head there at one point though. Completely regardless of the rights and wrongs of posting the images on social media, the simple fact is that if the Gardai showed even a smidgen of interest in reports made to them, and people had confidence that reports would be followed up, we'd never have this issue. If there was some enforcement nobody would ever feel the need to put these videos online in the first place.

• Advertisement

let's say that the legal eagle was correct - for the person uploading the content to be taken to task over it, does the person depicted have to be the one to do so? or can another agency make a complaint about it?

Did she ever say it was illegal?

The words she used was the cyclist 'ought to'......go directly to the Gardaí with it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

TheJak01 wrote: »
    ...the simple fact is that if the Gardai showed even a smidgen of interest in reports made to them, and people had confidence that reports would be followed up, we'd never have this issue. If there was some enforcement nobody would ever feel the need to put these videos online in the first place.

...and if there was any decent enforcement of all road-users' behaviour in general (never mind enforcement/follow-up of cyclists' videos), these videos would never be generated in the first place, as people would be in the habit of driving properly.

Enforcement is key to overall driver behaviour - I lived and drove extensively in the UK in the 90's, and driving standards were mostly very good - people were patient and obeyed the rules, even if mistakes were still noticeable (in conversation, people's biggest gripe was actually the trivial matter of not being thanked after they let someone out). Given the hollowing out of the Police services around the UK in the last decade, and the drop in enforcement, there is, (apart from the usual mistakes and inattention) a whole new layer of arrogance, impatience and selfishness that wasn't there before. Anyone who has driven in the UK in decades past should look at a few "UK bad driving" YouTube channels, and you'll commonly see people skipping queues by driving up the footpath, overtaking on the hard shoulder of the motorway, brake-checking HGV's and other madness which just didn't happen before.
    In Ireland, as enforcement (and behavioural standards) dropped similarly with cutbacks, we now see the results with MGIF* driver behaviour everywhere.

*Must Get In Front

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Type 17 wrote: »
    ...and if there was any decent enforcement of all road-users' behaviour in general (never mind enforcement/follow-up of cyclists' videos), these videos would never be generated in the first place, as people would be in the habit of driving properly.

Enforcement is key to overall driver behaviour - I lived and drove extensively in the UK in the 90's, and driving standards were mostly very good - people were patient and obeyed the rules, even if mistakes were still noticeable (in conversation, people's biggest gripe was actually the trivial matter of not being thanked after they let someone out). Given the hollowing out of the Police services around the UK in the last decade, and the drop in enforcement, there is, (apart from the usual mistakes and inattention) a whole new layer of arrogance, impatience and selfishness that wasn't there before. Anyone who has driven in the UK in decades past should look at a few "UK bad driving" YouTube channels, and you'll commonly see people skipping queues by driving up the footpath, overtaking on the hard shoulder of the motorway, brake-checking HGV's and other madness which just didn't happen before.
    In Ireland, as enforcement (and behavioural standards) dropped similarly with cutbacks, we now see the results with MGIF* driver behaviour everywhere.

*Must Get In Front

At least the UK have a decent number of red light traffic cameras and a more widespread use of speed cameras. I ended up laughing yesterday at the number of red-light breakers in motor vehicles yesterday, a Sunday with no real levels of traffic saw over a dozen of them in a 20 minute drive, and some of these were really really late, like green light for pedestrians or other direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

We don't need red light cameras - only cyclists break red lights here :pac:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

We therefore need registration plates for bicycles!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

But could they be a win for Shane Ross in that surely Mattie,Danny, Michael et al couldn't describe them as "an attack on rural Ireland"? Or could they?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not a near miss today unfortunately. Car turned across me after someone waved them across. Thankfully I seen it happening and was not going fast when I hit. Front wheel exploded on impact, poor kid at the side of the road burst into tears on seeing it.

Driver was nice, apologised and was more concerned for me than I was. Paid for the wheel and swapped details. My first question to him was the same one he asked me. Are you okay? As accidents go, it was relatively pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,730 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

CramCycle wrote: »
    Not a near miss today unfortunately. Car turned across me after someone waved them across. Thankfully I seen it happening and was not going fast when I hit. Front wheel exploded on impact, poor kid at the side of the road burst into tears on seeing it.

Driver was nice, apologised and was more concerned for me than I was. Paid for the wheel and swapped details. My first question to him was the same one he asked me. Are you okay? As accidents go, it was relatively pleasant.
    Wheel or tyre busted? Good to hear that everyone is OK, and that he's paying up.

Wheel or tyre busted? Good to hear that everyone is OK, and that he's paying up.

Tyre and tube were fine, wheel has a few spokes ripped from the rim and is as bent as an honest politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Tyre and tube were fine, wheel has a few spokes ripped from the rim and is as bent as an honest politician.

Nasty but could have been worse. Did they pay you cash on the spot for the wheel and was it a valuable one, always wondered what would happen in such a situation where driver thinks a new wheel might be 30-40 euro when you could be talking 10 times that just as easily. With such an impact check the fork is ok also.
    How did you manage the rest of the commute and what's the plans for the commute home and until wheel is replaced. Presume you had to bundle everything into a taxi or did driver offer you a lift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Nasty but could have been worse. Did they pay you cash on the spot for the wheel and was it a valuable one, always wondered what would happen in such a situation where driver thinks a new wheel might be 30-40 euro when you could be talking 10 times that just as easily. With such an impact check the fork is ok also.
    How did you manage the rest of the commute and what's the plans for the commute home and until wheel is replaced. Presume you had to bundle everything into a taxi or did driver offer you a lift.

Had a mavic askium destroyed when hit by a van which ran over it. The guy's reaction to the price was "sure you could buy a whole bike for that much" and then tried bartering with me because I'd be getting a "brand new wheel for nothing". :rolleyes: It's not even that expensive as some wheelsets go.

Glad you're not injured CramCycle!

Driver offered me a lift, just had to wait for his partner. I was only 15minutes away from home walking so I said thanks and we shook hands

Happy enough that the impact was so mild that the fork is OK, although he did ask. Kinda worried that the wheel went so easily, I think it may not have been as strong as I thought.

I have a good wheel at home, so not worried on that front. It did occur to me that he may not have been so friendly had I been riding my 250euro front wheel, but to be fair, we googled the wheel at the side of the road. I had guessed 100euro, it was €97.50 on the first google hit so he was happy I wasn't BSing him. This said if it was my good wheel, I would have been askgin for the price of a set as you cannot get them individually.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Kinda worried that the wheel went so easily, I think it may not have been as strong as I thought.
    Wheels are quite strong in compression (vertical plane), less so in torsion or horizontal plane. Once there's an imbalance in tension across the wheel, it is easier to completely collapse it. See that sky wheel failure from the giro (?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Jeff2

There was a section on the news tonight about the Gardai saying don't post videos.

I think the David who tweeted about the wine Toyota parked in the cycle lane was on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Jeff2 wrote: »
    There was a section on the news tonight about the Gardai saying don't post videos.

I think the David who tweeted about the wine Toyota parked in the cycle lane was on it.

6 or 9?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Jeff2

ED E wrote: »
    6 or 9?

9 RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Jeff2 wrote: »

it was on the 6:01 news on Tuesday evening also.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

it was on the 6:01 news on Tuesday evening also.

Was it the same piece? I saw it on Tuesday and flicking through the telly last night I came across a bit of it again and was wondering what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Chiparus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Hurrache wrote: »
    Was it the same piece? I saw it on Tuesday and flicking through the telly last night I came across a bit of it again and was wondering what happened.

I'd say so yeah, as it seems David Ó Laigeanáin was on both.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement