Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I was nearly a statistic this morning and was a bit shook for remainder of my journey.
    I was coming down Harolds cross road from Terenure direction. I was in the bike lane approaching Junction of Mount Tallant Avenue. I noticed a car just came out of Mount Tallant Avenue to got left. They probably should have waited but no big deal as wouldnt have required changing pace as such. I was more concerned to see if the 2nd car driver was going to do the same as they stuck their nose out forcing me out further on the road.
    As I was forced out a car coming from other direction decided to turn right in front of me without indication. There was no way I was going to be able to stop despite me not going fast. It just seemed to happen so quick and in slow motion at the same time. They just kept coming and I let out a massive roar and somehow managed to manoeuvre in a way that i wasnt touched at all. It must have been centimetres, The only reason I stayed up or wasn't hit I believe was down to my experience on bikes.
    I looked back a second or two later and car had tore away up Mount Tallant avenue. Ive no idea what type of car or even if driver was male or female. I just went into survival mode.
    I kept free wheeling away for a little but in shock just stopped to gather myself. The woman in the car that had nose sticking out then drove past me slowly and saw she had winded down window- I was naively waiting for her to ask me if I was ok but instead just eyeballed me then drove off. The whole thing was surreal. P.s. I had four lights on my bike

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Red light jumpers in cars everywhere this morning. Mostly the usual suspects for rampant red light breaking - Castleknock Village at Myos pub, then through the lights at Park Gate Street / Bus Garage junction.

Was stopped at the Courts of Justice, usually take center lane. Noticed a black car nosing up my left - drew up along side of me. Guy in an audi just nudges through a group of cyclists, taking the left hand turn through a red light....cool as a breeze....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Red light jumpers in cars everywhere this morning. Mostly the usual suspects for rampant red light breaking - Castleknock Village at Myos pub, then through the lights at Park Gate Street / Bus Garage junction.

Was stopped at the Courts of Justice, usually take center lane. Noticed a black car nosing up my left - drew up along side of me. Guy in an audi just nudges through a group of cyclists, taking the left hand turn through a red light....cool as a breeze....

It's really prevalent at junctions where there's usually a filter light for going left. This spot here for example, is always being abused when it's red. I've seen some people go through it and i firmly believe they don't even realise the light has gone red.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,155 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I was approaching this bend in the road today when I heard a noisy engine coming up behind me at speed. Considering how close we were to the bend (<200m) I thought the car would slow down, but no, I heard the revs get higher.

Before the car even reached me a second car came from the opposite direction. "He'll definitely have to slow down now", I thought, but no. Revs higher still, car coming towards us had to come to a stop and I had to brake hard as the overtaker squeezed between the two of us. I gave the bewildered looking oncoming driver an empathetic shrug. All in the space of 5 seconds.

He hadn't even reached the next corner by the time I'd turned, whatever his hurry was. I'm all for giving idiots a pass when mistakes are made, but this was intentionally aggressive and dangerous.

Feckin' boy racer in his modded 06 Cork-reg VW Polo, giving all boys racers tuners Corkonians Polos drivers a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,181 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's a bit of an odd road that. I think people don't expect to find others either in cars, on bikes, or on foot on that stretch from Kilbride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I was approaching this bend in the road today when I heard a noisy engine coming up behind me at speed. Considering how close we were to the bend (<200m) I thought the car would slow down, but no, I heard the revs get higher.

Before the car even reached me a second car came from the opposite direction. "He'll definitely have to slow down now", I thought, but no. Revs higher still, car coming towards us had to come to a stop and I had to brake hard as the overtaker squeezed between the two of us. I gave the bewildered looking oncoming driver an empathetic shrug. All in the space of 5 seconds.

He hadn't even reached the next corner by the time I'd turned, whatever his hurry was. I'm all for giving idiots a pass when mistakes are made, but this was intentionally aggressive and dangerous.

Feckin' boy racer in his modded 06 Cork-reg VW Polo, giving all boys racers tuners Corkonians Polos drivers a bad name.

The most basic Driving 101 skill of slowing down and reacting to hazards is gone out the window on the roads these days as far as I can tell.

Only this morning, on a 10 minute trip back from the shop, I was close passed by a MGIF who then had to stop for the already red pedestrian lights < 50 yards away.
    It wasnt the worse close pass I'd had, but it took the biscuit for sheer lack of
    observational skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Duckjob wrote: »
    ...had to stop for the already red pedestrian lights

Refreshingly unusual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

On the way out of town at Leonards Corner on Clanbrassil Street yesterday evening after five I saw a cyclist get a tip off a car as we were all stopped at red lights. The person on the bike was in the box for cyclists and a car behind him pulled up and gave him a bit of a nudge.

It was a bit odd. Don't know what the ass in the car was playing at. I asked the guy on the bike was he ok and he said he was. He gave the motorist a bit of well deserved lip.

Bizarre.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

On the way out of town at Leonards Corner on Clanbrassil Street yesterday evening after five I saw a cyclist get a tip off a car as we were all stopped at red lights. The person on the bike was in the box for cyclists and a car behind him pulled up and gave him a bit of a nudge.

It was a bit odd. Don't know what the ass in the car was playing at. I asked the guy on the bike was he ok and he said he was. He gave the motorist a bit of well deserved lip.

Bizarre.

Happened to me once... :| Lady had trouble with the clutch, pushed my bike forward. I was standing at traffic light, luckily out of the saddle so I did not get any back injury. Wheel was fine, I was more surprised than angry.
    I turned and look at her, with the face "oh come on are you serious?!", garda was right behind her - got off the car, asked me if I was fine, then approached her with not so good intentions I guess... I left them there and left with a smile :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭MileyReilly

In Carlow Town on the O'Brien road I just saw the closest call I ever saw. I don't know how the cyclist wasn't wiped out. Cyclist going straight on, car behind turning left at speed. He either didn't even see the cyclist or he deliberately tried to kill him it was that close. Cyclist had to swerve left with the car to avoid being killed.

If it was a less skilled cyclist it would have been a very different ending. Scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

If someone was close passed at huge speed by a White Van 12 D on Monday morning going down Thomas Street in Dublin and wants a witness let me know. Guy seemed to be very very close to the cyclist and was driving like a loon, at speed in the bus lane. This was between 0915-0930.

Nasty one on Arran Quay this morning. Number 66B bus just turned early into the mandatory cycle lane, almost minced a cyclist in front of me who had to hop up on the path to avoid the bus. Bus 100% in the wrong. The cyclists drew up along side the bus - the driver was abusive and advised the cyclist to "get f**king glasses", then slid his window shut. Shocking behavior from someone in charge of a 25 tonne vehicle.

I'm making a compliant to DB as a witness. I told the cyclist to get the CCTV details from DB and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

pedestrian near miss in Raheny village this morning. ped lights at the train station were red for traffic, amber for peds. guy walking with his daughter stepped off the path just as the ped light turned red, traffic light still red, motorist blasted straight through and nearly clipped the 2 pedestrians. the motorist then proceeded to park about 30m down the road, showing no urgency whatsoever to 'explain' her nearly racking up a KSI stat.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Yesterday morning I had two cars pull out in front of me on a roundabout, then two cars merge onto the cycle lane while I was in it. My favourite though was the young lad having a fag, while tailgating a taxi over 3km. He merged across me a bit so I let a roar at him it was a bus lane. He pulled alongside me, rolled down his window and shouted back "It's a bus and f'in Taxi lane". Nice of him to point out, I don't think it changed the point I was making that he should not have been there but anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Nearest one yet was from a fellow cyclist yesterday evening heading towards Donnybrook from Leeson St. Came within an inch of my handlebars! I caught up with him and asked why he was so close to me - he was trying to avoid getting clipped by the motorbike behind, I said well why overtake me in that case, just wait?
    He gave the "I'm sorry you were scared" non-apology, absolute ball-bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Nearest one yet was from a fellow cyclist yesterday evening heading towards Donnybrook from Leeson St. Came within an inch of my handlebars! I caught up with him and asked why he was so close to me - he was trying to avoid getting clipped by the motorbike behind, I said well why overtake me in that case, just wait?
    He gave the "I'm sorry you were scared" non-apology, absolute ball-bag.

When I cycled along the Grand Canal, some while ago, I got some really close overtakes from bikes, simply where I was going a bit slower as I wasn't sure about vehicles encroaching, or, a while back, some lady whose brakeless bike struck mine from behind on Lower Kimmage Road, I having stopped at the lights at the junction with Sundrive Rd, near Argus Jewellers. I told her very insistently that there are bikes shops like Wolf Cycles or other nearby, to use them, as bikes needs brakes, and no one on a bike likes being rear-ended. Some cyclists are careless or utterly clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Just serves to show that it's not the method of transport that makes the idiot. A car just lets them show it faster and bigger :D

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Vincenzo Nibbly

Tuesday - muppet cycle commuter in clonskeagh sticks out his magic arm without lifesaver check when i'm already overtaking him. slam on and narrowly avoid collision.
    Wednesday - eejit filterer weaving in and out of traffic on beaver row without checking for other cyclists filtering on the left
    Thursday - jackass on mtb drops in off the footpath without looking two inches from my front wheel crossing the east link

Bloody cyclists!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,778 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Tuesday - muppet cycle commuter in clonskeagh sticks out his magic arm without lifesaver check when i'm already overtaking him. slam on and narrowly avoid collision.
    Had a similar one today with a young lady cyclist wearing a big hood with a big furry trim, making damn sure that, even if she did turn her head (which she didn't), she couldn't really see anything anyway.

I had held far enough back to avoid any drama anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,959 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

odd one on the way home. inbound towards fairview, round about here:
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3637779,-6.2255642,3a,75y,283.26h,77.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1syAZnomtc2atTfwcGz_Yhyg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

there was a bus stopped taking on passengers, pretty much where that billboard on the left is, but for whatever reason he was sitting very askew to the kerb, with his arse sticking well out into the other lane, and an artic lorry sitting behind him, who didn't have enough room to pass.
    so i went up the side of the artic (he wasn't in the bus lane, seems to have been but pulled out to try to get around the bus) and swung out in front of him, to get past the bus. just as i was beginning to accelerate away, between the front of the truck and the back of the bus, a van nearly hit me. he'd clearly gotten tired of waiting, and had driven up the outside of the artic, two wheels on the median, and floored it just as he got the front of the artic, which was about the same time i did. i think he gave himself as much of a start as he gave me. i like to think so anyway.

Taxi man tonight, in the shared bus bike lane on the south quays dublin. Traffic quiet as I’m late leaving work. Cycling along the left of the bus bike lane - two empty lanes beside me. Taxi man pulls up behind. Beep beep. I look around, keep cycling. He tailgates me for a bit. Draws up along side me. What looks like abusive gestures/body language through a closed passenger window. I keep cycling. He drives off.

I hope he picked up a fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

cycling though an estate near mine on the way home yesterday. there was a motorist ahead of me on a stretch of road where several cars were parked on the left hand side and there was maybe 1 1/2 car widths of space for her to drive through.

instead of that she managed to clip 2 cars, ripping their mirrors off in the process, then kept driving down the road for a short stretch. I accelerated after her before she pulled in, went back up the road and pulled in where the damage had been done. so I assume she went in to make reparations.

when I first saw her she was pulled up outside a pub - I honestly don't know if that's because she had been drinking / was picking someone up that she then got distracted by or maybe stopped to answer her phone etc but there's no reason that anyone who was properly paying attention to the road should have hit the cars as she did.

Gardai - Take that video down, the driver deserves their good name!
    UK Police - Appalling driving, thanks for the footage, now off to jail for the driver. (Well he got a suspended sentence, but the good intent was there)
    https://twitter.com/SurreyRoadCops/status/1093540291938795526

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭hesker

Hurrache wrote: »
    UK Police - Appalling driving, thanks for the footage, now off to jail for the driver. (Well he got a suspended sentence, but the good intent was there)

Man that’s bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Jesus. Hope that pedestrian takes a civil case to cover the cost of their ruined pants :pac:

He looked fairly relaxed I thought. Maybe his life flashing before his eyes was still running it all happened so fast.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Hurache, please take that video down as the driver is still entitled to their good name!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Had a very close and ignorant pass from one of our wonderful "professional drivers" driving a white Toyota Prius in Santry this morning. Pretty sure he had space on his other side and it was him being #justanothertaxic*nt.

I think I only have rear footage as my GoPro had given up. Going to review it later to see if it looks as bad as it seemed to be before I decide whether to pop into the garda station with it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TheJak01

Not one, not two, but three drivers hurtled through the red light up fosters avenue from the N11 inbound. Not even chancing it with the light having turned red, they just got tired of waiting for the left turn light to go green and went for it. I actually thought with it only being Green for straight on I'd be fairly safe there, but had to squeal on the breaks when a white van started moving. Not to let me carry on, two more cars behind took the opportunity of me being stopped to jump through the red light. Flabbergasted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement