Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

TheJak01 wrote: »
    Not one, not two, but three drivers hurtled through the red light up fosters avenue from the N11 inbound.
    The junction where the leopardstown roundabout was is comical. What is more worrying is the drivers do not even appear to me more alert while blatantly going through a light which has been red for a good while, just breezing through calm as can be.

Further on even the google truck is going through ambers! check this link below, if you follow through the light the same van & cars are there so it did not stop and I would have guessed the google truck would be going slow, and there is no traffic coming behind it (which some might use as an excuse to continue), it is not too bad but you would think the drivers would be very cautious.

https://goo.gl/maps/gByRwvH1jBk

When the luas came in first when the luas passed those lights would go green immediately, but they changed a year or 2 ago and take ages to turn green again, needlessly delaying traffic. I wondered if the people in charge of the lights are now treating it like others, factoring in huge delays before turning green for all the people who will inevitably be breaking the lights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Hurrache wrote: »
    He looked fairly relaxed I thought. Maybe his life flashing before his eyes was still running it all happened so fast.

Yeah, that clip is seriously shocking. But I can't get over how calm the guy is. He carries on just as if nothing has happened. Unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Not one, not two, but three drivers hurtled through the red light up fosters avenue from the N11 inbound. Not even chancing it with the light having turned red, they just got tired of waiting for the left turn light to go green and went for it. I actually thought with it only being Green for straight on I'd be fairly safe there, but had to squeal on the breaks when a white van started moving. Not to let me carry on, two more cars behind took the opportunity of me being stopped to jump through the red light. Flabbergasted.

Nonsense, only cyclists break red lights. <puts fingers in ears. Starts whistling loudly and looking at ceiling>.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Gardai - Take that video down, the driver deserves their good name!
    UK Police - Appalling driving, thanks for the footage, now off to jail for the driver. (Well he got a suspended sentence, but the good intent was there)
    https://twitter.com/SurreyRoadCops/status/1093540291938795526

Mad stuff altogether. Of course one of the Twitter responses suggest that Deliveroo should give the driver a job. Not because he is banned from driving and needs an alternative job (he didn't get any ban) but because the equivalent of a 2 tonne van hurtling through a red light at 50mph and nearly ending a young life is a fellow on an old mtb wobbling through a junction with someone's dinner in his backpack. I give up!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Not one, not two, but three drivers hurtled through the red light up fosters avenue from the N11 inbound. Not even chancing it with the light having turned red, they just got tired of waiting for the left turn light to go green and went for it. I actually thought with it only being Green for straight on I'd be fairly safe there, but had to squeal on the breaks when a white van started moving. Not to let me carry on, two more cars behind took the opportunity of me being stopped to jump through the red light. Flabbergasted.

Ah well. At least they pay "road tax" and are insured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭gaybeer

I had two very near misses this week.

#1 was at the junction outside Kevin Street Garda station. I was cycling behind a large truck carrying an industrial skip. As the light turned yellow and the truck was two cars back from the light I went up the side of the truck to the now red light and unclipped. The truck then decides to break the light to get up the side street on the left. I have to step onto the path as the trucks left wheel mounts the path. 5 minutes later as I'm waiting at the red light on Kevin/camden street, obviously unhappy with my earlier shouts not to crush me, he winds down the window and flicks me the bird as he drives up Camden street.

#2 coming across Lesson street bridge this morning towards donnybrook a bus passes me, only to pull in maybe 3 meters later!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

rubadub wrote: »
    Further on even the google truck is going through ambers! check this link below, if you follow through the light the same van & cars are there so it did not stop and I would have guessed the google truck would be going slow, and there is no traffic coming behind it (which some might use as an excuse to continue), it is not too bad but you would think the drivers would be very cautious.

Well spotted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

The junction where the leopardstown roundabout was is comical. What is more worrying is the drivers do not even appear to me more alert while blatantly going through a light which has been red for a good while, just breezing through calm as can be.

https://goo.gl/maps/gByRwvH1jBk

When the luas came in first when the luas passed those lights would go green immediately, but they changed a year or 2 ago and take ages to turn green again, needlessly delaying traffic. I wondered if the people in charge of the lights are now treating it like others, factoring in huge delays before turning green for all the people who will inevitably be breaking the lights.

He actually crosses the pedestrian crossing when the pedestrian has the "greenman"

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2740368,-6.2042844,3a,75y,30.14h,79.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDhWKxTeFGKVP6h05C30TRw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users Posts: 28,656 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

A nice lady who went through a very stale red at the Dropping Well pub told me that she went through the red 'very carefully' when I challenged her about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭Fian

I was coming over the bridge at leeson street, filtering along the right turn only lane to turn down towards fitzwilliam square. I didn't like the look of a skip truck in front of me, he was quite close to the line of traffic in the lane for turning right, so I hung back behind him rather than filtering between him and the line of traffic turning right.

Just as well, he decided to turn right across me without indicating at the last minute and take the right turn. The drivers window was open and he was only a few feet away when i shouted "holy ****" - I was genuinely astonished he would do that. This is a truck, in the lane to my left, which is a straight on only lane, turning right across my lane and across the junction, suddenly, at the last minute and without indicating.

The driver finished the turn then graced me with a shrug and a "what could I do I realised I wanted to turn right" shrug in his side mirror after he had made the turn.

Unfortunately that shrug/reasoning would have been little comfort to my wife and kids had he killed me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Interesting truck coming onto the roundabout I was already on this morning. I had to let a shout as I knew he wasn't slowing. He copped but rather than emergency brake, he tried to slow through the gears which made some wonderful noises. Unfortunately none of it made him stop but I had already decided to swerve way out of the way.
    He apologised but I mean, FFS, my only conclusion is he didn't have functioning brakes.
    This was one of the more minor incidents on the commute this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

I met a bin truck this morning just uphill of the Angler's Rest: https://goo.gl/maps/3JCt11XWGwt

Driver was reversing down very slowly, with a lad at the back of the truck directing traffic. I mounted the footpad rather than chancing a very slow uphill overtake on the narrow road, but I felt sorry for the lads if they had to do that sort of manoeuvre every week. I couldn't really fathom in what circumstances it made more sense to reverse down rather than do a U-turn though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,171 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Saw an interesting bin truck this morning myself. In the fog way up a straight road coming towards me I saw a couple of flashing lights. Wasn't sure what it was, looked like those lights you see on top of traffic cones at road works. When I got pretty close I realised it was a bin truck driving towards me. No lights bar those orange flashing ones on the front and back, and crappy parking lights. Was the first of many lightless vehicles I saw in the for this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Saw an interesting bin truck this morning myself. In the fog way up a straight road coming towards me I saw a couple of flashing lights. Wasn't sure what it was, looked like those lights you see on top of traffic cones at road works. When I got pretty close I realised it was a bin truck driving towards me. No lights bar those orange flashing ones on the front and back, and crappy parking lights. Was the first of many lightless vehicles I saw in the for this morning.

far more dangerous than cyclists not having lights of an average evening yet you so rarely hear people complaining about motorists not using lights in general or not using / misusing lights in fog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

far more dangerous than cyclists not having lights of an average evening yet you so rarely hear people complaining about motorists not using lights in general or not using / misusing lights in fog.

That's because they don't mean to do it and according to an RSA Expert that makes it OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Theres a bin lorry that always does that on Rathgar Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Not really a near miss but...

I was cycling into Saggart yesterday, from City West, and at the first set of light was overtaken by a group of Tallaght Wheelers 7 or 8 of them. About 100m or so up the road, two car were coming towards them on the opposite side of the road, the first was grand but the second made a quick manoeuvre to the white line and beeped the horn. Now the move was so late I don't think any of the cyclist noticed, but I did and I saw the rage and anger in his face. I any of the outer cyclists had of been within an inch if the white line he'd have hit them

Hate to think how he feels about cyclists in front of him. Sadly, the video I have doesn't really show the incident too well.

Not really a near miss but...

I was cycling into Saggart yesterday, from City West, and at the first set of light was overtaken by a group of Tallaght Wheelers 7 or 8 of them. About 100m or so up the road, two car were coming towards them on the opposite side of the road, the first was grand but the second made a quick manoeuvre to the white line and beeped the horn. Now the move was so late I don't think any of the cyclist noticed, but I did and I saw the rage and anger in his face. I any of the outer cyclists had of been within an inch if the white line he'd have hit them

Hate to think how he feels about cyclists in front of him. Sadly, the video I have doesn't really show the incident too well.

My self and a mate were stopped there at the lights coming back from a Sunday spin a few years back. Car coming the opposite way stopped at a red. All of a sudden, car horn starts beeping furiously. We genuinely though the driver was having a fit or something. He was gesticulating for us to ride in single file. Driving the other way FFS. Wonder if it was him?

coming across the East Link bridge this morning from the north, I'd filtered up a line of cars before the roundabout but could sense that the last driver wasn't happy about it as she moved off very quickly after I did and seemed to stay right on my wheel. the entire way across the bridge she kept trying to pass me despite the stream of oncoming traffic and even though I stayed far enough out to make it a non-runner she never backed off. even when I turned around to make eye contact with her, signaled that I was turning right and moved out further she barely backed off. I gestured to her to give more space but honestly it was like she was dead behind the eyes, no reaction whatsoever...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,171 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Sounds just like what happens from around 3:05 in this vid in the dashcam thread
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109401194&postcount=237

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

coming across the East Link bridge this morning from the north, I'd filtered up a line of cars before the roundabout but could sense that the last driver wasn't happy about it as she moved off very quickly after I did and seemed to stay right on my wheel. the entire way across the bridge she kept trying to pass me despite the stream of oncoming traffic and even though I stayed far enough out to make it a non-runner she never backed off. even when I turned around to make eye contact with her, signaled that I was turning right and moved out further she barely backed off. I gestured to her to give more space but honestly it was like she was dead behind the eyes, no reaction whatsoever...

She wasn't driving a Mini countryman by any chance? I had a similar encounter in Sandymount.

Ferris wrote: »
    She wasn't driving a Mini countryman by any chance? I had a similar encounter in Sandymount.

not sure and usually I'd be far more aware of the make / model etc but I felt the most nervous I've done for a long time so was far more focused on holding my line far enough out on the road to discourage her etc. I can say the car was black! will check the footage tonight.

One thing that really bugs me is people flying up to junctions looking as if they are looking to keep going without yielding or stopping. I can't read your mind. On the bike, I have to prepare for an emergency manoeuver. You may always skid to a stop at a junction, and you are scrupulous in maintaining your tyres and brakes, but again, I can't tell that from here!

Anyways, today, I had a moment where I was driving in a car around a roundabout and someone is screaming up to the next entry like they are not interested in giving way to me heading to the next exit. My attention is focused on this gobaloon as they eventually slam on the brakes. I resume scanning the road ahead of me and find a cyclist going the wrong way around the roundabout crossing the exit I am now about to go through. Thankfully, my brakes and tyres were in good nick so I was able to stop in good order, but I got a fright. I'd like to think that the other fellow got a fright as well, and will rethink his approach to roundabouts, but I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

not sure and usually I'd be far more aware of the make / model etc but I felt the most nervous I've done for a long time so was far more focused on holding my line far enough out on the road to discourage her etc. I can say the car was black! will check the footage tonight.

Nah this was blue, similar experience but.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

check_six wrote: »
    One thing that really bugs me is people flying up to junctions looking as if they are looking to keep going without yielding or stopping. I can't read your mind. On the bike, I have to prepare for an emergency manoeuver. You may always skid to a stop at a junction, and you are scrupulous in maintaining your tyres and brakes, but again, I can't tell that from here!

One thing I see a lot that's similar to this, is people flying up to junctions, usually side roads or slip roads with a yield at the end, but they keep their focus dead ahead all the way until their car is fully stopped. They then look down the road, behind you, for cars. It's one single head movement rather than scanning the road. Yeah, most will see you, but you need to slow right down to be ready to stop in case they don't.

Not as common, but has happened twice recently, is people in the same situation seeing you, but pulling out as soon as you pass in front of their car. Ok fair enough I'm not travelling at 80km/h, but it's literally a matter of less than a second before I've cleared your car. Hang the **** on.

Not as common, but has happened twice recently, is people in the same situation seeing you, but pulling out as soon as you pass in front of their car. Ok fair enough I'm not travelling at 80km/h, but it's literally a matter of less than a second before I've cleared your car. Hang the **** on.

Yeah, that's very unnerving. A little consideration would go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Steoller

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    My self and a mate were stopped there at the lights coming back from a Sunday spin a few years back. Car coming the opposite way stopped at a red. All of a sudden, car horn starts beeping furiously. We genuinely though the driver was having a fit or something. He was gesticulating for us to ride in single file. Driving the other way FFS. Wonder if it was him?

...how?

I ask out of a morbid fascination as to what kind of contortions it took to convey that message.

and here is the lovely lady...

Cyclists making progress in heavy traffic really infuriates some motorists

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Have to say that's an example of the sort of cyclist manoeuvre I sometimes wonder about.

Looks like you chose to try go up the inside of a moving car, through a space less than 1 metre wide.

If it was the other way round, with the car coming from behind you, and the driver tried to go past you while leaving just that much space, you'd be annoyed about it (and rightly so), since they wouldn't be giving you a metre passing space. So why is it 'okay' for you to try pass at less than a metre space, especially when it ends up with that sort of tricky situation?

Might you not have been better off just hanging in behind that car instead, especially when you intended to turn off the road just a short distance up ahead anyway? The driver of the second car seems to be hanging back to give you room to slot in behind that front one.

I don't know how many times I've seen cyclists complain about motorists forcing their way past them, only for that motorist to turn off the road a short distance ahead (in those cases, it would be the motorist turning left after going past the cyclist). This seems to be the same thing, but the other way round.

A case of that 'must get past' syndrome that some cyclists sometimes accuse some motorists of?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement