Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

J Mysterio wrote: »
    The arrogance of Steve Baker is just enraging. The guy literally thinks he can and should get his way. Tories, Parliament, the UK, the EU should all just bend to him.

The entitled, self righteousness of him is galling.

Arrogant yes, but you have to hand it to them that they have played this whole thing brilliantly from their POV.

From not even having a chance of a ref only 10 years ago to now basically controlling government and determining the final destination of the UK is quite a feat.

They, along with Farage, will go down as some of the top examples of how relatively weak groups can, using the right tactics, completely take control through very targeted, and in truth disingenuous means, to get what they want.

The ERG, with 70 or seats MP's, have more power than all the opposition combined and more power than any ministers without ever having to actually put themselves in the firing line.

So Barker has every right to arrogant. He knows that he has complete control of the PM, cabinet and government and the outcome of Brexit is, unless the rest of the HoC can get its act together, completely in their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But this isn’t the case - Gina Miller essentially won the right for parliament to have a meaningful vote on the final deal as far back as January 2017.

Everyone, including the European Union, has known very well that there was no final agreement until parliament voted in favour of it for two full years now.

It is almost as if TM and her government, should have agreed things before entering negotiations. Which is funny, because I didn't hear many Brexiteers complaining about her Lanchaster House speech where she set down her Red lines which lead to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

So why did UK send May to negotiate instead of all members of parliament?

At minimum there should have been a cross party representative group sent, given its a minority government.

If a combination of Labour & Tory negotiators came back with an identical agreement, including the backstop, would we be in the same boat now? Even with the ERG & DUP voting against it, there would still be more than enough to get it over the line between the remaining Tory & Labour members.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

J Mysterio wrote: »
    God bless Ian Dunt, he really just nails it.

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2019/02/14/may-s-latest-brexit-defeat-the-edifice-of-nonsense-comes-tum

That letter from former ambassadors called this a fiasco. There are a lot of words for it: farce, catastrophe, shambles, ruination, humiliation, degredation and on and on.

It's definitely GUBU.

I'm beyond tired of this now. I mean everyday it's the same nothingness. Day after interminable day.

Whatever about "running out of road" into a no deal situation. They've run out of road full stop.

This shambles has finally shown the creaking edifice behind British parliamentary democracy for the sham it is.

It's almost like their actions have consequences. Throughout history their hubris has cajoled, ruined and destroyed lives and nations but finally it seems like comeuppance is about to be served.

And because of that stiff upper lip and misplaced confidence that the edifice is crumbling and behind it there's nothing.

And because of the attitude of every player on the British side the last few years everyone else (EU etc) has also had enough. So unlike the other times when someone or something has come along to bail them out or rescue them, they'll be thankfully just left there in the nip with no one around asking where has everybody gone?

I say all this in relation to the establishment of course. But the people aren't themselves without blame. Either way, I won't be crying for my neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,735 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Arrogant yes, but you have to hand it to them that they have played this whole thing brilliantly from their POV.

From not even having a chance of a ref only 10 years ago to now basically controlling government and determining the final destination of the UK is quite a feat.

They, along with Farage, will go down as some of the top examples of how relatively weak groups can, using the right tactics, completely take control through very targeted, and in truth disingenuous means, to get what they want.

The ERG, with 70 or seats MP's, have more power than all the opposition combined and more power than any ministers without ever having to actually put themselves in the firing line.

So Barker has every right to arrogant. He knows that he has complete control of the PM, cabinet and government and the outcome of Brexit is, unless the rest of the HoC can get its act together, completely in their hands.

Weak

To portray these people as plucky upstarts is exactly what they want. These are a minority in number yes. But they are a vastly wealthy bunch , and invasive species that infest all levels of government and the corridors of power. And there is in effect limitless funds available from dark corners mainly eastern money but not all. This cash utilised to bribe, to entice to enthrall others to do the bidding. This whole episode is wealth and power in action.

Nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I do love the ridiculousness of this all where they wont vote for anything she puts forward but at the same time they refuse to remove her from power and vote against motions of no confidence because nobody in the Tories wants to be responsible for the **** show as none of them has any better ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

At minimum there should have been a cross party representative group sent, given its a minority government.

If a combination of Labour & Tory negotiators came back with an identical agreement, including the backstop, would we be in the same boat now? Even with the ERG & DUP voting against it, there would still be more than enough to get it over the line between the remaining Tory & Labour members.
    In the UK constitutional system, foreign affairs is traditionally an executive function, controlled by the government and not by parliament. So e.g. the government appoints ambassadors; it does not need parliamentary approval for appointments (unlike, say, the US, where appointments of ambassadors must be confirmed by the Senate).

This extends to treaty-making. Negotiating and signing treaties is the government's business. This is true whether the govenrment is a majority governments or a minority government. So it would never be appropriate to send a parliamentary delegation to negotiate a treaty; that would be an abdication of the government's constitutional responsibility.

So where does parliament come into treaty-making? In two possible ways:

1. If the government makes a treaty that will require UK law to be changed, they can't ratify that treaty until they have got parliament to agree to the necessary changes. The Withdrawal Agreement is a treaty of this type.

2. Since 2010, it has been a legal requirement that the government should lay any treaty before parliament at least 21 days before they ratify it. (And in fact it was the practice to do this even before it was made a legal requirement.) They do not need parliament to approve the treaty, and in fact parliament often simply ignores it, and the government goes ahead and ratifies. But it does give Parliament an opportunity to object to ratification, if they want to.

What this means is that, although the governmen has the right and responsibility to negotiate and sign treaties without parliamentary involvement, there's a political imperative for it not to do so without being satisfied that Parliament will (a) pass any legislation needed be passed, and (b) not object to ratification.

And, yes, this is a particular issue for a minority government. And May has stuffed this up very, very badly here. But the way to avoid it would not have been to send Labour MPs out to negotiate the treaty; it wold have been to bring Labour into government, or otherwise to make a pact with Labour for its support for the WA.

Which, when you think about it, is what she has to try to do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Brexitcast talking about Labour rebels forming a new party over the weekend. Pinch of salt at the moment as they are often wrong but keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Is it time the government published plans on how to protect the single market, I.e. what the hard border will look like?

I think they should have that conversation with the public, while reminding everyone that the UK is essentially giving up on GFA, also they should publish their position on the future FTA, Ireland have a veto and should block any FTA the doesn’t remove the hard border

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Is it time the government published plans on how to protect the single market, I.e. what the hard border will look like?

I think they should have that conversation with the public, while reminding everyone that the UK is essentially giving up on GFA, also they should publish their position on the future FTA, Ireland have a veto and should block any FTA the doesn’t remove the hard border

I’m okay with holding off another few weeks on public announcement. It’s pretty clear that plans are in train, which is all I’d be worried about. Announcing plans at this stage will provide a political football for nefarious elements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Announcing plans at this stage will provide a political football for nefarious elements.

I agree - we should only make a statement on this when absolutely forced to by British action. Anticipating it will look like permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I think the Irish plan is as much a guess as the Brexit plan itself. They appear to be preparing contingencies for as yet undetermined scenarios. I'm not sure what practical use publishing such a plan would deliver bar feeding the natural tendency for those who "know better" to opine on it. As for the single market that's really an EU remit.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I’m okay with holding off another few weeks on public announcement. It’s pretty clear that plans are in train, which is all I’d be worried about. Announcing plans at this stage will provide a political football for nefarious elements.

My fear is that on D1ND the Dutch, French, Belgians etc stop Irish goods on entering their ports, how can they prove the goods did not originate in NI?

If I was a Scottish exporting business, would I look on in horror as Dover melts down and continue to send my lorries to Dover or would I send the lorry to NI the south onto Wexford and France all without checks and hold ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,105 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

VinLieger wrote: »
    I do love the ridiculousness of this all where they wont vote for anything she puts forward but at the same time they refuse to remove her from power and vote against motions of no confidence because nobody in the Tories wants to be responsible for the **** show as none of them has any better ideas.

She should resign and leave it to someone else to sort out. The sh1t would truly hit the fan then.

My fear is that on D1ND the Dutch, French, Belgians etc stop Irish goods on entering their ports, how can they prove the goods did not originate in NI?

I believe its been addressed already all goods originating from Ireland will be marked so they do not need to be checked.

I believe its been addressed already all goods originating from Ireland will be marked so they do not need to be checked.

But if there are no checks, like at present, smuggling will be trivial, drive from UK to IE via NI, put goods in Irish registered haulier. If IE does not know what crosses the border how can French authorities know that the goods in the truck really are Irish without having to open each truck/ container to make sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The Times are reporting that the UK are backing down on their demands for reopening discussions on the backstop, but heading towards a legal guarantee. However a British spokesperson has said that this is not the case. But the fact that their attorney general is heading to talks soon could be an indicator that they are indeed going down the legal guarantee route.
    Britain is prepared to soften its demand that the EU reopen the Brexit withdrawal agreement to solve the Irish backstop issue, The Times has learnt.

Stephen Barclay, the British Brexit secretary, told Michel Barnier, the EU’s chief negotiator, at talks this week that the British government could accept legal guarantees that fell short of renegotiating the draft withdrawal treaty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

She should resign and leave it to someone else to sort out. The sh1t would truly hit the fan then.

Boris,Swiss David Davis as James O'Brien calls him now,moggy or the rest don't want to be leader now.let May deliver the cliff edge so she takes the blame.they don't want blood on their hands

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Hurrache wrote: »
    The Times are reporting that the UK are backing down on their demands for reopening discussions on the backstop, but heading towards a legal guarantee. However a British spokesperson has said that this is not the case. But the fact that their attorney general is heading to talks soon could be an indicator that they are indeed going down the legal guarantee route.
    But there's no way that will get through the HoC, imo. ERG/ DUP will claim (rightly) it's against the "Brady" Amendment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Leroy42 wrote: »

I suspect the people like Farage et all will be widely recognised as villians when this all implodes. Once the dust settles in the mad max wasteland, I anticipate Mueller style inquiries to get to the bottom of their dubious connections, their motives and activities. Both for the sake of justice and truth, but also to take the blame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

The UK metropolitan police are still stalling on investigating cases referred to them for criminal investigation by the UK Electoral Commission. The cases are against Liz Bilney of LeaveEU, David Halsallof the official leave campaign Vote Leave and Darren Grimes founder of its youth off-shoot BeLeave.

The Met also took months to collect the data from the EC citing "political sensitivities" eventually collecting it in November.

Now it's revealed that no investigation has been started since.

https://bylinetimes.com/2019/02/14/exclusive-senior-labour-mps-accuse-met-police-of-cover-up-and-unacceptable-delays-in-investigating-brexit-crimes/
    “In relation to both referrals, subsequently on 7 September 2018, the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) received over 2,400 documents from the Electoral Commission, which are being assessed by the MPS in order to make an informed decision as to whether a criminal investigation is required,” a Scotland Yard spokeswoman said.

Deputy Labour Leader Tom Watson told Byline Times: “I’m sure the Metropolitan Police will want to explain why there is a delay and reassure us that they are not avoiding investigating because of political sensitivities.

“The wrongdoing alleged here is too serious to be swept under the carpet.”

Vince Cable, leader of the Liberal Democrats, agreed. He told the Byline Times that he expected the police “to move quickly against the ‘people of interest’ and deal decisively with political corruption”.

Lammy added: “It is extraordinary that the police continue to delay starting a criminal investigation into what the Electoral Commission deemed ‘clear and substantial’ evidence of illegal activity by Vote Leave many months ago.

“Postponing this investigation until after Britain has left the EU may be politically expedient for the Government, but it is clearly against the national interest.

“The independence of law enforcement is vital to uphold the rule of law in our democracy. Unfortunately, it is now being questioned.”

The MP repeated his belief that the 2016 Referendum result should be considered “invalid” if leading Brexiteers are convicted of illegal activity.

The authors of the article asked the Police about 14 politicians they believe are implicated by the evidence (much is public) but Met neither confirmed nor denied etc.

Edit: Timely Bill Browder saying UK laws not enforced with Rgds to Magnitsky/Russian related inquiries

https://twitter.com/i/status/1096151651658784768

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Macy0161 wrote: »
    But there's no way that will get through the HoC, imo. ERG/ DUP will claim (rightly) it's against the "Brady" Amendment.

Nothing will get by the ERG, I don't think they can hide the fact they want a hard brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

There was a time where MP's would have respect for the PM and show deference. The Chief Whip would have power. Nobody has respect for the PM or the traditional norms of government, its completely broken down. Every right wing idiot thinks his friend is going to PM and he will be bounced from the backbench to a nice ministry in cabinet. They are all deluded. Boris still thinks he has a shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Tesco chairman weighting in with the practical effects of No Deal on supermarkets - spam and tinned peaches could be the new 1970s diet. the BBC Two series Back in Time should do a Brexit special.

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1095800209190326274

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Russman

Tesco chairman weighting in with the practical effects of No Deal on supermarkets - spam and tinned peaches could be the new 1970s diet. the BBC Two series Back in Time should do a Brexit special.

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1095800209190326274

Reading through the comments on the twitter feed is frightening. How can they be that deluded ? Is it their education system ? Inbuilt empire mentality ? Groupthink manipulated by the tabloids over 30 years ?
    One fella saying he’d rather eat Spam and be “free” - I mean what the actual f—k !!🙀 Talk about spirit of Dunkirk, you’d swear the EU was about to invade, the way they’re going on over there. They’ve just never got that they ARE the EU.
    I actually think they’re past the point of no return.

Unless everyone else is wrong, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

I am watching Politics Live here on BBC and it is the whole Brexit debate distilled. Carolyn Fairbairn who is director of the CBI is being talked to like shes stupid by some bluffer called Lucy Harris from BrexitCentral. Lucy Harris said WTO schedules arent a problem "We invented some of these rules".

People like her have cost me money and its infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,566 ✭✭✭✭briany

SNIP. Cut out the nonsense.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Another Browndog day - like groundhog day but more depressing.

There are still three choices open to the UK.

1. Exit without a deal - the jump off a cliff solution. No-one but a fool would agree with that. (However there is no shortage of fools).

2. Agree the Withdrawal agreement. (Not as good as staying - current status). Nobody in the HoC appears to realise that the WA only lasts two years, plus a possible extension. It also allows ANY final result after it expires (except that there must be no border on the island of Ireland). It could be used as a holding plan - and could be the right solution - if only HoC realised it.

3. Withdraw Art 50, or postpone or get an extension for 3 months, or perhaps two years. The withdrawal of Art 50 is within the gift of HoC but the other options require EU agreement - which is less than a maybe. A long extension might give everybody time to learn just how useful and beneficial the EU is for the UK and how much they will lose if they leave. (Perhaps this long postponement was what Olly Robins meant in his overheard conversation in the Belgian bar).

Of course there are none so blind as those that will not see.

(Martin Turner has one of his Brexit cartoons in today's IT).

Russman wrote: »
    Reading through the comments on the twitter feed is frightening. How can they be that deluded ? Is it their education system ? Inbuilt empire mentality ? Groupthink manipulated by the tabloids over 30 years ?
    One fella saying he’d rather eat Spam and be “free” - I mean what the actual f—k !!�� Talk about spirit of Dunkirk, you’d swear the EU was about to invade, the way they’re going on over there. They’ve just never got that they ARE the EU.

And the most clueless reply goes to Karen "well if tesco wont supply what i want ill go to sainsbury's".......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Russman wrote: »
    One fella saying he’d rather eat Spam and be “free” - I mean what the actual f—k !!�� Talk about spirit of Dunkirk, you’d swear the EU was about to invade, the way they’re going on over there. They’ve just never got that they ARE the EU.

There is an unprecedented disinformation campaign towards no-deal taking place on social media. The disinformation during this campaign and after is spilling into the real world.

They are sane in their own reality. But their reality has been altered by disinformation. Part of the disinformation is that media is biased and untrustworthy.

This is a crisis for global democracy now.

I heard Marian Finnucane say last week that 'Donald Trump is right about Fake news, Look at Cambridge Analytica'

People can work out the problems with that statement but it did bestow the following information:

'Trump (and Cambridge Analytica's) use of Fake news is highly effective, look at Marian Finnucane'.

The chaos a short way across the Irish sea should be viewed as previewed hindsight for Ireland.

Thank feck the propaganda machine hasnt been rolled in here yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement