Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

downcow wrote: »
    This ^^^

Honestly be very wary of any quote's from the Telegraph/Daily Mail/Express. Time and again they've posted wildly distorted or innaccurate information they're part of the reason the UK is in such a heap atm. If it's from a more neutral source its more reliable.

As for cost's while Britain departing leave's a hole of course other countries will end up having to chip in to fill it ultimately. Thing is though those cost's spread out through a union of 27 can be absorbed FAR better as they're spread out.
    It's all well and good spouting nonsense that the UK wont spend this and that in the EU until they end up wasting any money they "save" having to replicate the entire systems for their country and probably be less efficient not only eliminating those "savings" but adding more costs to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

alloywheel wrote: »
    After many decades of being a pillar of the EEC / EU, since the early seventies, and its second biggest net contributor, the UK has has enough and has democratically voted to leave. Say what you like about the British, but when they say they will do something, they do it. They do not surrender. They do not have further referendums or get bribed to change their mind, like us. They will leave on March 29th, they have had enough. The EU saying the Brexiters have a special place in Hell just strengthens their resolve and does not help matters.

The question is what will happen on this island? The British and the Unionists do not want a hard border, but my bet is that the EU will force us to have a hard border.

It reminds me of visiting Gibraltar many decades years ago. The British symbolically had their gates open, while only a stones throw away the Spanish had their gates closed, so no traffic could pass.

The British were always a trading country with the rest of the world, that is how they controlled a quarter of the world at one stage, they like trading with the world.

They controlled 1/4 of the world through a series of bloody invasions that set up a host of exploitative regimes.

The EU wont create the conditions that make a border necessary on this island, the EU are not implementing any new policy. There is no change being enforced on the EU side. The British are the ones that are changing things on this island, this was their choice and they are responsible for the border if one has to be erected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭alloywheel

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    This is a list of the EU agencies that the UK will have to replace in the event of a no deal Brexit and their annual budget.

- EDA, EUROPEAN DEFENCE AGENCY
    30.5 MILLION EURO

If you take the EDA for example , that agency is financed by its members in proportion to their Gross National Income. An effect of this is that some nations pay different contributions towards the budgets than others. For example, in 2007 the biggest budgetary contributor was Germany at a cost of €4,202,027 followed by the United Kingdom paying €3,542,487, and France paying €3,347,139. Few people in the UK will mourn the loss of UK membership of that agency. ;)

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Myself and a unionist fellow at work had a similar discussion last week, concerning the Irish language. The conclusion was unionists couldn't/wouldn't compromise on it as it is a weapon of Sinn Féin. I'd imagine the argument would be the same regarding the flag.

Thats ok, Unionists won't compromise and they dont have to, they just have to be out voted, thats the beauty of the GFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Debated to death already ...

People democratically wanting to leave place like that they have subsidised for so long may be told they have a special place in hell, that only resolves their desire to leave.
    This ^^^

Would either/both of you agree that the same logic should apply to NI? GB has subsidised it to more or less the same amount annually as it's net contribution to the EU, but with much less of a return on that investment.

Or to put it another way: if the financial cost of EU membership is sufficient justification for justify English nationalists to cut their ties with the EU, is there any good reason to not to cut ties with NI, especially when the presence of NI in the UK prevents the UK from signing new trade deals with other countries/blocs?

• Advertisement

The population of Northern Ireland is 1.9 million a majority of them are in favour of retaining the union. Are we really going to spilt hairs on this?

"Unionist" is a political descriptor, as far as I am aware there has never been an election wher 1 million people voted for unionist parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I watched the BBC program last week and some of it was certainly an eye opener. I forgot that that the Greek business was as late as 2015 for starters. And I forgot the Greeks were queueing outside banks to withdraw money ( limited to €60 per day, and that those queues were horrendous. Also telling was given the stark choice of ‘ in or out’ of the eurozone the Greeks choose in as the lesser of two evils.)

I’d say at this point everyone associated with the Euro project must be grateful that the UK remained out of the Euro. Now that would have been some mess. (I also accept that if the UK were in the Euro, that they might not have been so anti EU)

As an aside: if the UK have to re label all their foodstuffs , won’t we have to do the same if we export to the UK? Extra costs there to manufacturers and producers. Which might hit small producers hard.

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    as far as I am aware there has never been an election wher 1 million people voted for unionist parties.

There has never been an election in any democratic country with 100% turnout. Not even in the Rep. of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

After many decades of being a pillar of the EEC / EU, since the early seventies, and its second biggest net contributor, the UK has has enough and has democratically voted to leave. Say what you like about the British, but when they say they will do something, they do it. They do not surrender. They do not have further referendums or get bribed to change their mind, like us. They will leave on March 29th, they have had enough. The EU saying the Brexiters have a special place in Hell just strengthens their resolve and does not help matters.

Insisting on pursuing a course of action, based on the advice from an advisory referendum in which the Leave side has been shown to have cheated in a fashion that would embarrass a third world country, is an example of blind obstinacy, not bravery.

And, to point out the obvious, the statement “when they say they will do something, they do it” is complete nonsense, since although the U.K. has spent the last forty five plus years supporting the advancement of the EU (in public statements issued as part of the European Council), their current governing party had - even before the referendum was called - gone out of its way to obstruct this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,242 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Would either/both of you agree that the same logic should apply to NI? GB has subsidised it to more or less the same amount annually as it's net contribution to the EU, but with much less of a return on that investment.

Or to put it another way: if the financial cost of EU membership is sufficient justification for justify English nationalists to cut their ties with the EU, is there any good reason to not to cut ties with NI, especially when the presence of NI in the UK prevents the UK from signing new trade deals with other countries/blocs?

You not comparing like with like. NI is an integral part of the UK/Britain. My history is not good but I think we have been for 800+ years.
    Some parts of the UK are being very supportive of NI, Scottish highlands, etc, etc. And I am very appreciative of everything that the rest of the UK does to support us.
    NI has been crucial to the UK at certain times in history eg the world wars. Churchill said that if it wasn’t for Ulster Britain would not be free. I believe enniskillen and London were the only two towns to raise two regiments, the Belfast shipyard was vital during their war. The raf based the war headquarters in Stormont etc etc.
    So it’s a little more complex.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Fair enough one story reported he bedded that Abbot wan, which is unforgivable in most universes.

Mod note:

Serious posts only please

joeysoap wrote: »
    I’d say at this point everyone associated with the Euro project must be grateful that the UK remained out of the Euro. .

I think everyone in the UK is glad the UK stayed out of the Euro too. The British were proved right on that one.

Being part of the Eurozone contributed to our property bubble and subsequent bust, because Germany insisted we stick to the interest rates that suited them back in 2001 - 2006. Those interest rates were far too low for our economy at the time, but it suited the Germans, who lent to us. And insisted we repay the bondholders when it all went t*** up. The UK were able to control their own interest rates and their downturn and recession and property slump was not as bad as ours. The Germans shafted us then, they will do it again, mark my words. When it will suit them, 4 or 5 million people on the edge of Europe will not be high on their list of priorities.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

You not comparing like with like. NI is an integral part of the UK/Britain. My history is not good but I think we have been for 800+ years.
    Some parts of the UK are being very supportive of NI, Scottish highlands, etc, etc. And I am very appreciative of everything that the rest of the UK does to support us.
    NI has been crucial to the UK at certain times in history eg the world wars. Churchill said that if it wasn’t for Ulster Britain would not be free. I believe enniskillen and London were the only two gowns to raise to regiments, the Belfast shipyard was vital during their war. The raf based the war headquarters in Stormont etc etc.
    So it’s a little more complex.

Mod note:

Youre just back from a ban and seem to be trolling, the UK has only existed since 1801 and the 800 years is typically used to refer to English oppression by Irish nationalists. Ulster Unionists trace their history back to the 16/17th century. The other poster was talking about the practical costs of Northern Ireland today and you have gone off on a tangent about WWII. I will give you the benefit of the doubt on this one last time but if you are only here to deliberately aggravate other posters rather than debate you will be banned.

I think everyone in the UK is glad the UK stayed out of the Euro too. The British were proved right on that one.

Being part of the Eurozone contributed to our property bubble and subsequent bust, because Germany insisted we stick to the interest rates that suited them back in 2001 - 2006. Those interest rates were far too low for our economy at the time, but it suited the Germans, who lent to us. And insisted we repay the bondholders when it all went t*** up. The UK were able to control their own interest rates and their downturn and recession and property slump was not as bad as ours. The Germans shafted us then, they will do it again, mark my words. When it will suit them, 4 or 5 million people on the edge of Europe will not be high on their list of priorities.

Yes yes, the EU will turn on us, any day now. They would really want to get a move on though, they have less than 50 left to actually do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,708 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Enzokk wrote:
    Well the Greek crises meant that the EU had to create a 750B euro fund to help other countries in trouble. Do you think they are really going to be losing sleep over 5B euro annually? It will be tough to lose the UK but my point was the same way the Greeks thought that they could go to the EU with a mandate from their people and set out their demands and the EU will have to listen, history is repeating itself.
    The EU need to listen and get a deal done for the sake of it's citizens in this country.
    Enzokk wrote:
    As for NATO, that is independent of the EU so not sure what it has to do with the EU and Brexit. The G20, the EU is a member and some of its member states are as well. I don't know what problems you foresee with that, what kind of problems will happen at the G20 due to Brexit?
    The EU has always worked closely with NATO through it's member States who are part of it. There has always been a unified approach from European countries. The UK are not part of the EU anymore so if they decide on different measures to what the EU wants then the other members of NATO have a decision as to whether to back the EU's position or go against it.
    The G20 involves the central banks of all it's members. Russia will back anything which is anti-EU, the US are likely to back the UK and we could see divides develop. This has the potential to see tension rise and agreements break.
    The goal of the G20 is financial stability worldwide so I'm sure they will want to look after the UK's interests in order to maintain financial harmony.

Germany didn’t insist on keeping interest rates low. They couldn’t have as they had one vote out of fifteen plus votes on the ECB governing body. And if the interest rates were “too low” for us, then it was our responsibility to manage our economy in a prudent fashion, rather than betting it all on the average house price increasing ad infinitum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The population of Northern Ireland is 1.9 million a majority of them are in favour of retaining the union. Are we really going to spilt hairs on this?

There are unionists and there are poeple for whom leaving things alone is the easiest thing right now, but as polls show if there is a hard Brexit they will change this view. Accommodating this latter group in a UI is not especially challenging and including them in this context is misleading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

If you take the EDA for example , that agency is financed by its members in proportion to their Gross National Income. An effect of this is that some nations pay different contributions towards the budgets than others. For example, in 2007 the biggest budgetary contributor was Germany at a cost of €4,202,027 followed by the United Kingdom paying €3,542,487, and France paying €3,347,139. Few people in the UK will mourn the loss of UK membership of that agency. ;)

Also ironic, considering the EDA was a target for massive Brexiteers contradictions.

EU army would be a joke, Brits laugh.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/29/european-defence-force-would-depth-deployed-numerous-fronts/

EU army HQ is a call centre, Brits laugh.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/20/new-eu-army-headquarters-branded-little-call-centre/

Yet in 2010 the UK vetoed a budget increase.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/8165333/Britain-to-veto-European-Defence-Agency-budget-increase.html

But according to Brexiteers before the referendum the EDA was about to become a full EU army hell bent on destroying individual countries armed forces and uniting under the EU flag. Despite it having an annual budget of a few Lidl shops. Imagine being scared of an agency with such a tiny budget so much you whip up enough fear to tip your own country into recession and worldwide isolation. They also consistently misnamed the EDA as the European Defence Army, rather than Agency, in order to stoke the nationalistic flames. But now that Brexit is coming they have no problem laughing at the EDA's small operation, as if it even had the intent of being the EU Army. They truly live in their own bubbles. They create their own reality in the face of evidence contradicting it, laugh at anyone who doesn't believe it's an actual reality, then pat themselves on the back for protecting it. While everyone looks on stunned at the level of cognitive dissonance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

So that's all completely under the control of the current UK government - the same guys and girls that are "taking back control" by cutting their ties with the EU, whose citizens are not involved in any way with illegal immigration, and the same lads and lasses that state publicly "we won't put up a hard border!" so ... ... ... :confused:

You can't really deny migration was the primary factor in Brexit.

Europe (well Germany anyway) offered an open invitation to about 1m refugees/economic migrants circa 2015, Italy was also being swamped by sailings across the Med, can't assume this didn't impact the UK's general view on the EU.

If it means the UK will now be forced to triple it's border force and increase passport/HGV checks, it will reduce their level of migration. In future they'll only offer work permits to those earning 30k along with other criteria.

They've just created an temporary agreement with France to haul those Iranian packed dingys back there. Post brexit they probably won't ask, just return them to mainland EU if spotted.

The U.K. was one of the enthusiastic supporters of the EDA and quite upset that the EU would “punish them” by refusing to let them continue on as members of it after the U.K. left the EU.

The choice now facing the U.K. is either forego the advances made by the EDA or alternatively it can set up a “British Defence Agency” and pay the entire €30+ billion by itself, rather than the €3.3 billion it would have to pay as part of the EDA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

You can't really deny migration was the primary factor in Brexit.

In future they'll only offer work permits to those earning 30k along with other criteria.

I don't disagree - but it was non-EU migration that stoked the fire, which was and is something entirely within the control of the UK governement. EU migrants were generally the highly qualified, high earners, apart from the low-skilled workers taken on because the English jobseekers wouldn't turn up at the farm gate.

Since the referendum, we've seen that EU migration - the type of people the UK really needs in the workforce - has dropped off dramatically, and while the number of non-EU migrants has risen. They'll be the ones that don't look or sound anything like your average English bloke (or blokette) ... though they'll probably work twice as hard, so maybe it'll be alright in the end. :p

Deleted (repeat post).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

I don't disagree - but it was non-EU migration that stoked the fire, which was and is something entirely within the control of the UK governement. EU migrants were generally the highly qualified, high earners, apart from the low-skilled workers taken on because the English jobseekers wouldn't turn up at the farm gate.

Since the referendum, we've seen that EU migration - the type of people the UK really needs in the workforce - has dropped off dramatically, and while the number of non-EU migrants has risen. They'll be the ones that don't look or sound anything like your average English bloke (or blokette) ... though they'll probably work twice as hard, so maybe it'll be alright in the end. :p

Yes non-EU migration to Germany/France instantly became the UK's problem as part of the EU.

The UK will still target the high skilled (hence the 30k minimum), and actively reject the low-skilled.

Plumbing used to be seen as a dirty lowly career, but since it started paying loadsamoney (supply-vs-demand), there is plenty of professionals fixing pipes - now that it can/does pay 6-figure salaries.

If uk farmers want staff post-brexit, all they have to do in adopt to 'the new price elasticity' (i.e. pay better wages).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,160 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

View wrote: »
    By the government and people of Ireland.

What do you think people used as a flag prior to 1916 (which is when the Tricolour started to become a popular flag and even then it was very much associated solely with one strand of public opinion here).
    Not much evidence of its use by the people of Ireland. And it ceased to be used by the government in 1800.

When Henry VIII had himself declared "King of Ireland" in 1541, he adpoted a gold harp on a blue background as the coat of arms of the new Kingdom. No such symbol had ever been used, so far as we know, by any High King ruling or claiming to rule Ireland, or by any regional king. The previous English administration in Ireland (which, as we know, most of the time rules only small parts of Ireland), the "Lordship of Ireland" didn't use the harp either; its coat of arms was three crowns on a blue field. Some coinage issued in Ireland by King John did contain a triangular device which may, or may not, have been a crude represenation of a harp, but that's the closest we come to any official use of the harp as a national emblem prior to 1541.

Thereafter the English administration in Ireland pretty consistently used a gold harp on a blue field as its emblem up until the Act of Union in 1800. However there's not much evidence that this enjoyed any popular support or usage. Irish merchant shipping (of which there was never very much) flew the British red ensign. A gold harp on a green background is said to have been used by some of the French military detachments associated with the Wild Geese, and was certainly adopted by the United Irishmen, and later used by the Fenians. The St. Patrick's Cross - a red diagonal cross on a white background - turns up as a patriotic emblem in the eighteenth century, particularly associated with the Volunteer movement and Grattan's Parliament (and this, of course, is eventually incorporated into the Union Jack). And of course in the nineteenth century we have a bewildering variaty of Starry Ploughs, Sunbursts, Shamrocks, etc, in use alongside the green harp banner. The green harp banner wasn't so much a national symbol as a nationalist symbol.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,160 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yes non-EU migration to Germany/France instantly became the UK's problem as part of the EU.
    Nonono. You forget that the UK is not in Schengen. Free movement requires the UK to admit, e.g., German and French citizens to the UK. It does not require them to admit, e.g., Syrian citizens to the UK merely because they have been admitted to Germany or France.
    The UK will still target the high skilled (hence the 30k minimum), and actively reject the low-skilled.
    Well, that's the plan. But, like a lot of Brexity plans, it pays little attention to reality. The UK needs low-skilled labour like, you know, nurses and midwives and firefighters and junior doctors and teachers and vets and paramedics, all of whom start on less than 30k.
    If uk farmers want staff post-brexit, all they have to do in adopt to 'the new price elasticity' (i.e. pay better wages).
    True, their farms will then become economically unviable, but that's a small price to pay for blue passports.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

You think consumers will be just as quick to adopt to the new price elasticity?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

joeysoap wrote: »
    As an aside: if the UK have to re label all their foodstuffs , won’t we have to do the same if we export to the UK?

No. The UK have to relabel because now it says "Produced in the EU" and after March 29th that won't be true. Irish food will be labelled correctly before and after.

Of course they could insist that we change labels to say "Produced outside Her Majesty's United Kingdom" if they want, they are taking back control after all. That'll just be another bump on food inflation for their own population, but it makes as much sense as anything else in Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Not this again. The low interest rates didn't just suit Germany, but the vast bulk of the Eurozone!

Ireland could very easily have enacted legislation to prevent over lending by our own domestic banks. In fact such legislation is currently on the statute books!

Just because the fire is lit doesn't mean you have to shove your hand into it.

The Euro has forced some fiscal responsibility on Irish governments. No longer can they simply devalue the currency. Long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,242 ✭✭✭✭downcow

The cracks in the Eu might be appearing a few weeks earlier than I expected. Feels like next couple of days may be interesting. I think the current mask of unity across Europe will fall like a house of cards once first couple go.
    It will be no panacea for any of us.
    Ireland should soften their stance on an indefinite backstop themselves before they are forced by others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

The cracks in the Eu might be appearing a few weeks earlier than I expected. Feels like next couple of days may be interesting. I think the current mask of unity across Europe will fall like a house of cards once first couple go.
    It will be no panacea for any of us.
    Ireland should soften their stance on an indefinite backstop themselves before they are forced by others.

Do you have any basis for this belief?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement